Forbidden Items on NCL?

I understand why surge suppressors should not be used on board ships. However, why doesn't Norwegian include this fact in the T&C's. Are all passengers expected to read the CC boards? (this would be a good idea by the way) or is this supposed to be such general knowledge they don't need to inform us before confiscating devices? I would think they would get a lot of complaints from surprised passengers.

We were surprised when they removed an empty plastic water bottle from my backpack during embarkation. I'm not sure the reasoning. We usually like to carry an empty water bottle to refill once getting through airport security.

When staying in hotels we usually buy big bottles of water and then refill the smaller bottles for day trips. I'm going to try to bring an empty water thermos next time.

We have the beverage package which includes wine, beer, soda, etc. but NOT bottled water. Odd

We were surprised when they removed an empty plastic water bottle from my backpack during embarkation. I'm not sure the reasoning. We usually like to carry an empty water bottle to refill once getting through airport security.

When staying in hotels we usually buy big bottles of water and then refill the smaller bottles for day trips. I'm going to try to bring an empty water thermos next time.

We have the beverage package which includes wine, beer, soda, etc. but NOT bottled water. Odd

Why do you think it is odd that bottled water is not included with the beverage package? Bottled or canned soda is not included either but no one seems to think that is odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interestingly, for the first time in my experience, I saw a dog onboard the Epic TA. A lady had a Maltese with her, I assume as some type of service dog since that's the only exception I'm aware of. It was sitting on her lap during the Dating Game show at Bliss (she was a contestant) and I saw her again at the gym a few days later where the dog was happily accompanying her in a purse/bag. I have no idea what type of service the dog may have rendered, but it was absolutely quiet and well-behaved.

On the last cruise I was on, a woman had little puff ball dog that she carted around in a baby stroller the whole cruise.

It was "service dog". Very odd lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I knew a lady who suffered from epilepsy and she had a chihuahua that was her service dog. It could smell some hormone or chemical her body released before she was about to have a seizure and the little guy would alert her so she had time to get into a safe place/position before the seizure hit. I would guess that maybe the dog was for some kind of similar disability? She told me that the smaller dogs are more sensitive and they are carried close to the owner all the time so they can sense when the body has a change in the chemistry and alert the owner.

The ship can provide an area where the dog can be taken to relieve himself. I think that arrangements must be made before anyone can bring a service dog on board.

On the last cruise I was on, a woman had little puff ball dog that she carted around in a baby stroller the whole cruise.

It was "service dog". Very odd lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are true service dogs that help keep some people safe and alive.

There are also dogs that travel onboard ships and planes because someone has convinced a Doctor that they can not travel with the little dog.

Not judging.... much.

Never had a problem with a power strip either, with a surge protector. Where does this stuff come from? We've cruised NCL since 2006.

There is something with the way a surge protector interacts with their electrical system that makes it some kind of fire risk. Regular power extension cord or power strip is fine. That said most people probably bring surge protectors on unknowingly and aren't caught so think it's fine.

Why do you think it is odd that bottled water is not included with the beverage package? Bottled or canned soda is not included either but no one seems to think that is odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's odd... on Princess that beverage alcohol package includes water and soda... I haven't really looked at the NCL beverage packages yet...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

AS OF JUNE 2017,

I've found this on the "guest conduct" part of NCL.com:

"PROHIBITED ITEMS

ITEMS WITH HEATING ELEMENTS OR OPEN FLAMES

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted onboard. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed and may require a converter.

DRUGS OR OTHER ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES

No illegal drugs or other illegal substances including but not limited to medical marijuana are allowed onboard or may be utilized during a Norwegian Cruise Line vacation, including during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, during shore excursions or at our private island. Illegal drugs or substances will be confiscated and appropriate action taken,which may include removal from the ship and involvement of appropriate authorities. In addition, foreign governments at Norwegian Cruise Line ports of call have strict laws that address drug possession. Guests found in violation of such laws are subject to arrest and prosecution by the foreign jurisdiction (and perhaps United States or other authorities as well) and may be prevented from re-boarding the ship.

WEAPONS, EXPLOSIVES OR OTHER DANGEROUS ITEMS

No weapon, explosive, or other item that presents a risk of harm to persons or property, are permitted onboard. They will be taken by ship’s Security and appropriate action taken. Guests are not allowed to bring their own scuba gears onboard such as oxygen tanks, diving knives, spears, etc.

Non-Alcoholic Beverages

Non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices – are prohibited to be brought onboard either as carry-on or checked luggage on both embarkation and port days. The only exception to this policy is purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula."

and I've found this on the F.A.Q. part of NCL.com:

What can't I bring onboard?

Passengers should not bring the following items onboard any Norwegian Cruise Line ship:

• Drones (Game Flying Device)
    Guests are not permitted to bring drones onboard for safety of other guests, as well as the welfare of the vessel.
  • Samsung Galaxy Note7
    In light of recent safety issues with the Samsung Galaxy Note7, we are asking our guests who own this model to please avoid traveling with this mobile device. The Federal Aviation Administration has banned the Samsung Galaxy Note7 from all air travel, and until further notice, this device will be restricted from all Norwegian Cruise Line ships. Fire is one of the greatest threats at sea and due to the safety concerns these devices present, if one is found in a guest’s possession or unattended in a stateroom onboard, our policy instructs the crew to confiscate the device for safekeeping. The device will remain in our possession, in a safe, monitored location, for the duration of the cruise. Guests can reclaim their device at the conclusion of the cruise from the reception desk.
  • Alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages of any kind including water, soda and juices*
    For more information read our FAQ about "Can I bring water or soda on board?".
  • Unsealed food items will not be allowed onboard.
  • Firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature
  • Irons / Ironing Boards and Steamers
    Guests are not permitted to bring and use their own irons or steamers onboard. Norwegian Cruise Line carries a limited number of irons and ironing boards which can be loaned to guests for a few hours at a time. They can be requested through housekeeping or Guest Services Desk.
    Irons and steamers would both be taken from guests at embarkation and returned at the end of the sailing.
  • Animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal.

No where does it mention surge protectors vs power strips. I think what I have is a surge protector dammit. Is the surge protector rule really true for NCL?

You can get a non surge protector power strip from Walmart for like three dollars.