New Sabatini's Menu Debut on Grand Princess

IECalCruiser

The following was posted on the Cruise Critic UK Blog on May 23.

"Not part of the ship refurbishment necessarily, but worthy of note is that Princess is debuting a brand new menu in Sabatini’s, its Italian alternative restaurant (it’s the first ship in the fleet to have the new offerings). You don’t have to order everything but boy, is it hard to pass up the artichoke cheese soufflé and the incredibly light fried calamari, the day’s pasta special (best carbonara ever), and the branzino (cooked in a salt crust and deboned tableside). As such, we don’t need to eat today. There’s a $20 charge to dine at Sabatini and reservations are highly recommended."

I haven't seen any post on CC about this and I don't believe that PIA mentioned in her "Live From". Can anyone who has tried out the new menu please comment?

Princess does make a great Carbonara - it is offered in the dining room for lunch.

I will be very curious to see this new menu as I was not impressed with the older menu and I love Italian food.

I really liked the menu as it was. Italian isn't all about tomato sauce and cheese. Nice variety of apps.

The menu is much like it was and the appetizers are picked,not just served as before.They added steak to the menu and sea bass cooked in sea salt for two which was outstanding!

Princess does make a great Carbonara - it is offered in the dining room for lunch.

I will be very curious to see this new menu as I was not impressed with the older menu and I love Italian food.

Ditto for me as well.....:):):)

Bob

Now see, I liked the some-of-eachy on the Apps. Got me to try new things I might not have picked. That's a negative for me.

The menu is much like it was and the appetizers are picked,not just served as before.They added steak to the menu and sea bass cooked in sea salt for two which was outstanding!

Now see, I liked the some-of-eachy on the Apps. Got me to try new things I might not have picked. That's a negative for me.

You can still order more than one first course and share so you still get some-of-eachy. :) I like the sound of the artichoke souffle and wonder what else is different. :p

johnmik1, Thanks for the input. Sounds like they have made some good additions while keeping some of the old. I wonder what the fleet wide roll out plan is. Will it be on the Sapphire by the end of September, or will we need to wait until next year on the Emerald?

Stay away from the soft-shelled crab. It was overwhelmed by the breading and frying. There's a reason it's usually sauteed. Otherwise, menu fine. Agree on the Artichocke and the calamari.

The pasta course changes everyday, and the night we dine there it was a rather mushy spaghetti seafood affair that was a bit fishy tasting.

I personally thought the whole meal was underwelming, and after experiencing the new menu and selections, I prefer the old/original menu . At least there use to be a novelity element to the orginal concept, but as it stands now it's just a rather boring 4 course menu with depending on your subjective idea of Italian food is either haute cuisine or just another $20.00 cruiseship hype. For us it was somewhere in between the two.

Once was probably enough

Srpilo

Our complaint was that it just took too long to dine, at least three hours & when the food just keeps coming it seems to lose its appeal (for us). Hoping the new menu has more plated food & the time needed to enjoy the meal is not as drawn out as our last time there. I don't mind the cover charge.

Jan

Archived