Will I be bored on the Celebrity sea days?

TwoCruisers

I am considering a cruise on the Constellation this coming February. I have sailed Princess 9 times and I do like the daytime activities on sea days. I recently read a troubling comment about the lack of daytime activities on Celebrity. Here is the comment: “Celebrity was downright sedate and it seemed like the ship was half empty even though I know it was sold out. It was very, very quiet. . . . I'm not a party person at all, but it just seemed like there was more activity on Princess.”

The cruise I am considering is for 14 nights and has 5 sea days. Will I be bored on the Celebrity sea days?

Well, your profile didn't tell me anything except for where you're from. Having no idea what interests you makes the response very difficult.

I was never bored on Constellation. There are plenty of things going on; the fact that they don't get on the speaker system to announce every time an event is about to take place is one of the plusses about Celebrity.

Perhaps if you would indicate what sorts of things interest you, folks can give you an answer that will help you to decide.

There were eight sea days on my last Celebrity cruise, many of them 25 hours long (west bound transatlantic) and not a single one came remotely close to being boring.

Hi,:) it probably depends on the individual. One person thinks its boring

while another thinks it is totally relaxing. I have never sailed Princess so

can't give a comparison but I am one of those folks who doesn't care

about always "doing something"....a good book, lounger and drink?

Those are some of my favorite things on a cruise:D;)

What sort of things do you like to do? They always have trivia. They

have also been having different culinary events as well. My last couple

of cruises have been port intensive so most days I was off the ship.

But If I had 5 sea days? Personally, I would love it.:) I have never

been lucky enough to sail for 14 days in row.....it is on my wish list!

Cheryl is correct about the lack of annoucements. If you (for example)

enjoy Bingo during the day, you need to read your "Celebrity Today"

because they don't use the PA system for calling Bingo Players.

One of the things I love about Celebrity too...one set of annoucements

about noon time by the Captain:).

Well, your profile didn't tell me anything except for where you're from. Having no idea what interests you makes the response very difficult.

I was never bored on Constellation. There are plenty of things going on; the fact that they don't get on the speaker system to announce every time an event is about to take place is one of the plusses about Celebrity.

Perhaps if you would indicate what sorts of things interest you, folks can give you an answer that will help you to decide.

That’s a good point “Bellybutton530”.

The daytime activities on Princess seemed like there was always something going on. The things I liked were the Trivia contests (twice a day), cooking demonstrations, dance classes, movies, ice carvings and sometimes lectures to name a few.

Thanks for any help.

The daytime activities on Princess seemed like there was always something going on. The things I liked were the Trivia contests (twice a day), cooking demonstrations, dance classes, movies, ice carvings and sometimes lectures to name a few.

Thanks for any help.

They have all these things on Celebrity. Anyone who is bored on a cruise is probably just a boring individual.;)

Thanks for any help.

They always have trivia and it is usually twice a day. They have recently

been doing cooking events...actually they have a "Chef's Challenge"

with passengers cooking with the Chefs AND passengers as judges too.

They always offer movies. And yes there are some lecturers too.

I just returned home from a cruise (only 8 nights) and although

I did not participate I saw trivia listed every day. And they had 2

speakers on the trip as well.

I think that just about everything you've listed (well, maybe not the ice carving) is happening on Celebrity ships. If not, I am sure that someone will correct me....

I love sea days. I relax; work on a jigsaw puzzle that I've brought with me; read; sleep; enjoy the T-pool; sit on deck and look at the horizon. I personally think that the days will pass rather quickly, whether you are busily running from event to event, or simply relaxing.

I do urge you to carefully check your daily program for event starting times, as no announcements are made.

Enjoy your cruise.

I think that just about everything you've listed (well, maybe not the ice carving) is happening on Celebrity ships. If not, I am sure that someone will correct me....

I love sea days. I relax; work on a jigsaw puzzle that I've brought with me; read; sleep; enjoy the T-pool; sit on deck and look at the horizon. I personally think that the days will pass rather quickly, whether you are busily running from event to event, or simply relaxing.

I do urge you to carefully check your daily program for event starting times, as no announcements are made.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi Cheryl:) hope to meet you one day! They do have ice carvings,

well maybe not on every sailing but I have seen them plenty of

times:D

Just back from Eastbound TA on Equinox. Unequivocally, you will not be bored due to lack of scheduled activities. You just have to read the daily schedule and check by the Pursers' Desk because announcements are not made endlessly. (I love Princess, but I am tired of the barrage of announcements and printed advertisements.) :)

Thank you all for your input on the activities. Right now I am down to deciding between two cruises: the one on the Constellation (14 nights) and the Emerald Princess (10 nights).

Thanks again! :D

I hope you'll post a countdown clock in your signature so we can all know what your decision was.

I'm booked on Constellation on her Dec 3 cruise, the one after the transatlantic. Same cabin as last year, and a couple of folks will be rejoining me as well. OUR favorite at sea activity is creating and sipping martinis on the veranda.

Whatever cruise you choose, have a fabulous vacation....

Since I am semi retired I have downtime during the week. So I don't feel the need for ship downtime. However it's nice to have sea days in between port days. It allows time to relax and rejuvinate. I particularly don't relsih 5 consecutive port days, such as we are doing in the Baltics.

But it should be exciting

I am considering a cruise on the Constellation this coming February. I have sailed Princess 9 times and I do like the daytime activities on sea days. I recently read a troubling comment about the lack of daytime activities on Celebrity. Here is the comment: “Celebrity was downright sedate and it seemed like the ship was half empty even though I know it was sold out. It was very, very quiet. . . . I'm not a party person at all, but it just seemed like there was more activity on Princess.”

The cruise I am considering is for 14 nights and has 5 sea days. Will I be bored on the Celebrity sea days?

Might I suggest you find the Roll Call for that cruise and see if those folks have made any plans. Frequently, on long cruises with lots of sea days, the roll call folks will plan things like slot pulls, gift exchanges, cabin crawls, etc. One one TA the roll call group had reserved a small conference room and folks gathered there to play dominoes. We used the room for other activities, too.

Just being active on the roll call helps you met nice folks to spend time with. Who knows you might find people to play your favorite card or board game with on a roll call board.

Besides the offerings of the ship activity schedule, there is usually a place to leave a posting for others of like mind. I have found mah jongg games on ships this way. Others who play bridge have found games this way.

We are trivia buffs and have a huge collection of semi-worthless logo junk, but we find the games to be a fun challenge and we always meet nice people. Some Transatlantic cruises offer a progressive trivia game on the long stretch of sea days. We loved it!

I've never been on a long cruise where they didn't offer ballroom dancing lessons. There is always the gym to work off those desserts.

For me, it doesn't get any better than sitting on my balcony with my sweetie sharing some room service cheese and a glass of wine while we watch the sun-sparkles dance on the open water or an early moon leaving a pale, white shadow undulating like a great, luminous snake on the dark waves.

If I don't want to watch the water, I read my Nook or work on a sudoku puzzle.

They always have trivia and it is usually twice a day. They have recently

been doing cooking events...actually they have a "Chef's Challenge"

with passengers cooking with the Chefs AND passengers as judges too.

They always offer movies. And yes there are some lecturers too.

I just returned home from a cruise (only 8 nights) and although

I did not participate I saw trivia listed every day. And they had 2

speakers on the trip as well.

Does the Constellation do the Chef's Challenge?? Have not heard of this and I would love to do that!! :)

Does the Constellation do the Chef's Challenge?? Have not heard of this and I would love to do that!! :)

Hi:), I can't answer that one because I have not sailed Constellation

in quite a few years. I do know she has lots of loyal cruisers so maybe

someone who has been on her recently can give you some first hand

information. I also enjoy the culinary events:)

I'm the one you quoted in your question. In my original post, I said I enjoyed my cruise and I would consider cruising Celebrity again. I said there was more activity on Princess. That meant there were always more people out and about. I didn't mean there were no activities. The thread I was responding to was a comparison of Princess and Celebrity. In my opinion, my Celebrity cruise was more sedate and it was quiet. I do think there were less activities. I never said I was bored. I think I said I had a nice time. It depends on who you are. It depends on if you need to be busy all the time. I don't. I, like others here, am happy sitting on my deck chair with a book and looking at the ocean go by. To some people that would be boring and it would drive them crazy. The thing with Princess is you can have quiet time or you can be busy. It's up to you. They definitely had activities on Celebrity, but I think Princess has more activities. If that's important to you then it's something to take into consideration. I'm not silly enough to think that overhead announcements mean there's more activities. BTW, I don't think there's too many announcements on Princess. I think they do 3 a day and they aren't in several languages. I only had one Celebrity cruise. I can only speak to that experience. On my cruise, it was quiet. Go on a Celebrity cruise and see what it's like. That's what I did. You may love it. For me, I missed Princess. A lot of that may be because that's what I'm used to. I think people like what they're used to in general. I certainly will consider a Celebrity cruise again if the deal is right, but I prefer Princess. I always suggest to people that they try a bunch of cruise lines to find what they like. I say go for it.

Archived