Sailing with a 5-year-old grandchild

LynnMW3

We've already booked a 14-night Caribbean sailing on Eclipse in 2013...we're thinking now about possibly taking our then-to-be 5-year-old granddaughter with us...

Since we've never sailed with a child before, we have a few questions...

Are there children's books available in the library (she's a big reader)? Does the children's program run into the evening (in case we'd like to go to a specialty restaurant on occasion)? Has anyone taken a grandchild and run into situations that you wouldn't normally anticipate? Do you need to have a letter of permission to take a grandchild with you? What about if she would need medical attention?

We usually only do beach days in ports, which she would be able to do, possibly a little snorkeling (maybe we could introduce her to it), and don't really care if we take in the shows in the evenings...

Any advice or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Lynn

Celebrity requires various forms and permissions to be signed by the child's parents. Here's a start:

What forms of ID are required for minors?

Subject: Online Check-in and Documentation

It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify all travel documents and obtain and have available when necessary the appropriate valid travel documents such as passports, visas, inoculation and family legal documents required for boarding and re-entry into the United States and other countries.

Forms of I.D for minors:

U.S. Valid Passport

Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents or legal guardian will be permitted to travel with the child's proof of application.

Travelers who have not applied for a passport should not expect to be accommodated. U.S. citizens with pending passport applications can obtain proof of application at: U.S. Department of State website

Family Legal Documents:

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa (or certified copy of the child's birth certificate) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

There are a few children's books in the library but I wouldn't count on seeing a well-stocked supply.

We've already booked a 14-night Caribbean sailing on Eclipse in 2013...we're thinking now about possibly taking our then-to-be 5-year-old granddaughter with us...

Are there children's books available in the library (she's a big reader)? Does the children's program run into the evening (in case we'd like to go to a specialty restaurant on occasion)? Has anyone taken a grandchild and run into situations that you wouldn't normally anticipate? Do you need to have a letter of permission to take a grandchild with you? What about if she would need medical attention?

We usually only do beach days in ports, which she would be able to do, possibly a little snorkeling (maybe we could introduce her to it), and don't really care if we take in the shows in the evenings...

Thanks so much,

Lynn

We will be taking our granddaughter on her 3rd cruise (she is now 7). I learned to bring some medicine age appropriate that she might need. I always bring childrens cough syrup and childrens tylenol. I needed them one cruise when she said she had a headache and in the middle of the night starting hacking away. She was fine, maybe allergy and too much sun brought on the headache, but I was glad that I had both. I also pack baby powder. One time she had an issue and I had to go to the gift store and buy the only size (the smallest) they had at $5.00. I let her bring whatever security or animal friend she has. Her little doggie Domino also cruises!!! We happen to live in FL, so packing is alot easier, but I bring a few bags of the small chips and Sunny D for her just so we don't always have to leave the room. She enjoys a little bag of chips and a drink in the room. Of course sunscreen, hat and I just went to the dollar store for small size shovels and pails for the private island.

Thanks so much,

Lynn

I don't believe there are children's books in the library. My sister's twins are big readers also and they had nothing there but adult books.

You can bring her to the Children's Program in the evenings. I believe after 10 p.m. there is a fee.

I would take some typical children's meds with you...Children's Tylenol or Motrin, cold med, etc., just in case. Also, a notarized letter from the parents giving you permission to take her out of country and to seek medical attention if it becomes necessary. Also, be sure she has a passport. Although it's not required to cruise, if you had to leave the ship early and fly home, you would need a passport to re-enter the country from a foreign country.

I'm sure you'll have a great time bringing your grandchild with you and what a wonderful memory for her.

Jo-Ann

Be aware that if your cruise is when school is in session, there may be very few kids on board. Those 14 day and longer cruises, when done during school time, tend to attract not many kids who are older than infants or toddlers. If there is a reduced kids program due to few kids, you can hire in cabin sitters, for an hourly fee. That way, you can still have adult time.

Thanks, everyone. This is such a new concept to us that we're grateful for every piece of advice we can get. We're still just rolling the idea around, but all of this helps!

Please keep the comments coming!

If you decide to do it, get ahold of all the pictures of the ship you can -- make a photo album ahead of time, with pictures of a stateroom, the buffet, the hallways, the Fun Factory, everything you can find on line. Show it to your grandchild ahead of time so there's a sense of comfort and familiarity when you get aboard -- talk about standing in line to check in, wearing a wristband all the time (children are required to wear these, and maybe you'll want to get a special bracelet or wristband to wear, too, so it all becomes part of the routine). Definitely plan to bring favorite blanket, toy, etc.

Has your grandchild spent the night with you? Better still, spent several nights with you and aware from the parents? It might be a good idea to schedule some overnights between now and the cruise, and get to know routines and likes/dislikes. Cornflakes for breakfast? Bananas? Or oatmeal? What does the grandchild prefer? Thinks like that.

If you decide to do it, get ahold of all the pictures of the ship you can -- make a photo album ahead of time, with pictures of a stateroom, the buffet, the hallways, the Fun Factory, everything you can find on line. Show it to your grandchild ahead of time so there's a sense of comfort and familiarity when you get aboard -- talk about standing in line to check in, wearing a wristband all the time (children are required to wear these, and maybe you'll want to get a special bracelet or wristband to wear, too, so it all becomes part of the routine). Definitely plan to bring favorite blanket, toy, etc.

Has your grandchild spent the night with you? Better still, spent several nights with you and aware from the parents? It might be a good idea to schedule some overnights between now and the cruise, and get to know routines and likes/dislikes. Cornflakes for breakfast? Bananas? Or oatmeal? What does the grandchild prefer? Thinks like that.

Great ideas about the pictures of the ship and what to expect, and the bracelet. Yes, she's spent a week with us about a year or so ago, stayed with us for a few days when her brother was born, and spends a night every couple of weeks (we live nearby and have a bedroom set up for her in our house), so she's very comfortable staying with us away from her parents, but two weeks is a long time for a little kid...I don't know if she'd get homesick....I think she'd enjoy the kid's club, and she's generally very well-behaved. I don't think she'd present a problem on the ship and likes getting dressed up.

It's still a long way out, and as I said, we're just tossing the idea around at this point, but we'd like to have a better idea of what to expect before we form any kind of real plans.

We really appreciate all of the input. Thanks so much!

You should take a Medical Power of Attorney signed by the Parents so you have authority to consult regarding medical treatment until the Parents arrive (in the event of an emergency).

If I was taking a five year old, I would not book a balcony.

You should take a Medical Power of Attorney signed by the Parents so you have authority to consult regarding medical treatment until the Parents arrive (in the event of an emergency).

If I was taking a five year old, I would not book a balcony.

A MPOA is ALWAYS a good idea. I don't know if overseas hospitals will honor them but in the USA, hospitals are legally obligated to treat a minor in medical emergencies until the parents or legal guardians can be located.

We were on the Eclipse TA in April. I actually looked for children's/Young adult books because sometimes I enjoy reading YA and did not find one children's book. I may have missed them in the strange two-story library of course, but I did look pretty hard.

I have found small children's book sections on most other cruise lines--maybe two or three shelves for all ages, picture books through YA, but if she really likes reading I'd bring some along.

Or, how about some books on an e-reader? (If you have one.)

There are usually a few children's books in the ship's library, but they are of the 'Harry Potter' variety that adults may also be interested in looking at. Usually there is nothing for as young as age 5. You should bring books for your granddaughter, or purchase a few at the airport enroute to the ship if you don't want to pack them.

The Fun Factory usually has a limited supply of children's books available (just as they have children's games and toys) but there are for use in the Fun Factory and usually you are not allowed to take them back to your stateroom.

The Fun Factory is usually open from 7 to 10 pm, free of charge, so if you want to dine at a specialty restaurant, just make the reservation for 7pm or 7:15 pm. On formal nights, the Fun Factory will bring the kids to the buffet at 7 pm and feed them, so if you want to experience formal nights alone, you can take advantage of this.

We have taken our kids on many cruise lines, including Celebrity, and they love the children's clubs. The staff there are trained to entertain your kids and go through activities everyone is enjoying. They are also good at switching away from activities that children do not enjoy. IMHO, some of the best personalized service on the cruise ship is often provided in the children's programs!

You didn't ask, but in case you're wondering, the main dining room has a children's menu. I recommend early traditional dining, so that you can get to know your servers. Then they can have a glass of milk waiting for your granddaughter, and even her favorite appetizer, so that she can eat right away. Then when she is done, you or your spouse can take her to the FUn Factory and then return to finish dinner/dessert in a more leisurely style. My husband and I still do dinner this way and our kids are now 8 and 10 (they began cruising at ages 3 and 5). Also, for children your granddaughter's age, I recommend bringing a bag of small toys for her to play with at the table, in case she has to wait for something and gets bored. Before my first cruise with kids I bought a box of random Happy Meal toys on EBay for about $20, and it lasted on cruises for about 3 years (2 cruises a year).

I'm sure your granddaughter will have a wonderful time on board with such loving, attentive grandparents. I know you will have a wonderful time as well!

Archived