Is a balcony worth the extra money?

cat9661

Our first cruise was a 5 day on Jubilee, and we had an oceanview, since then we have only had balconies, and for me, yes, now it is worth it, but for your first, I would say, you likely will spend so much time exploring the ship, and spending time in the open decks that maybe this first time, just and oceanview.

I will tell you this though, once you go balcony, very doubtful you will ever go back. Nothing quite like morning coffee, or nightcap in the peace and solitude of your own private open air area.

Mimgan

$700 is A LOT of money:eek: That being said when we went on our 1st cruise the price difference between an ocean view and a balcony was $100 per person for the whole 9 days....we went with the balcony :D and we got one for our upcoming cruise to Canada too. We just really like having our OWN space outside! Have a great time!

We are thinking of cruising from Norfolk to the Bahamas on the Glory, never been on a cruise before is the balcony worth 700.00 more?

Thanks

For my hubby and myself, YES we love the quiet time in the morning having our coffee just watching the world float by.

Must have balcony...we bring a bungee to tie door open at night...nothing better than listening to the sea in bed and AM coffee on the balcony ( 700 seems high for the upgrade though )

Here is a familiar post. First cruise, interior cabin--ended up sleeping too late because we didn't know what time it was and forgot our travel clock. Second cruise, oceanview--liked it. Third cruise, balcony--OMG loved it!

We have an oceanview this July since our son, 17, is coming with us.

On our October, '11 cruise we have a balcony again.

I wish we knew about porthole interior cabins when we booked our first cruise--I think we would have liked that.

Like everything else you see here, it's going to be dependent upon your personalities and preferences.

Either way, you will have the best vacation you can imagine.

The heading was sopposed to be woth out at least a balcony...... WE LOVE sitting on the balcony late into the night...... but, that is about to change as we have always opted for balconies and, when we could get them, extended balconies. Now in two weeks we are sailing the Legend for the third time. Our family has been through a lot of stress due to the death of my dad and having to put my mom in a nursing home - the tides have changed and we can finally get away - we normally cruise at least twice a year, but the last couple of years have been only once.

I booked us our first suite in a round-about-way. I started with an extended balcony then after a month decided to surprise hubby and upgraded to a suite - then daughter asked if she could bring a friend - since it is three weeks before her 18th birthday I said yes, and booked them an interior room across the hall - then, we were all home for the day when low and behold the upgrade fairy called.... he offered me a grand suite for $800 more - some would think that is a high price to pay, but, it's only money and we need this cruise so we took the upgrade. I would NEVER sail without at least a balcony - would stay home first -

well, now I know I am going to be spoiled and decided I couldn't be home for Thanksgiving without my folks so.... we're booked on a 5 day RCCL Cruise for the Holiday - in a suite again... and daughter will graduate next June - we have promised her the cruise of a lifetime, so when the Breeze itinearies came out in May I was on the phone with my PVP and booked that as well, started with a balcony and by the end of the call, was in a grand suite - I know we'll need the room as we will be 12 days on the cruise in a very port intensive vacation - the moral of this is book what you know you will be comfortable with - we absolutely love cruising and I just know from now on it will be a suite for us. My dream is one of the Villa suites on NCL. We shall see.... am working on it.... guess we are officially suite snobs!

For one of our cruises, the balcony was a lot more (like you) and we opted for the inside cabin just to get us on the ship. We got a call from the "upgrade fairy" a few days before the cruise and they offered an extended balcony for $200.00 more..we grabbed it. It was an amazing balcony and worth the wait and the price for upgrade in the end. My advice, since the balcony is $700.00 more, book the inside cabin to just get yourself on the ship, then keep your fingers crossed.

Hate to say it, but I'd rather take 1 balcony cruise a year, then 2 non balcony cruises. A suite, or spa room - not important to me -a balcony, mandatory..

Ditto! We use our balcony alot. Coffee in the morning, cocktails before dinner, and moon and star gazing late at night. Love watching pulling into port and also leaving port.

Pat

Paying extra for a balcony is worth it if you have it to spend. As soon as we get up, I order a pot of coffee and we sit outside and have our coffee. We are on our balcony for arriving or departing from ports as well. You can read a book or just have a relaxing and quiet time sitting out there. We have cocktails on our balcony. When we come back to our rom at night, we have a cup of tea and just relax. Bring binoculars cause you never know what you might see.

We're booked on our second cruise (of many to come) and it's our second balcony, I cant imagine not having one.

First cruise on The Legend (extended balcony) we were both smokers so a big part of the decision was about not having to leave the room for a ciggie. We both quit smoking 3 years ago but still want the balcony (this time we downgraded from the extended balcony). For us the size of the balcony is secondary, not sure if we'd go obstructed or not.

Some of our most relaxing moments were sitting out there with a glass of wine listening to the water and watching the lightning shows off on the horizon.

...plus if you don't have cabin mates or nosy neighbors, balconies can be clothing optional! :o

Dh and I love, love, love the balcony cabins we have early morning coffee and muffins and then we sit out there at night. We won't sail any other way..Answer to your question YES a balcony is worth it...

This is such a subjective question - I have only been in balcony room. On my first cruise, my experienced cruiser sister talked me into booking a balcony room and it was really hard to justify the $600 extra. I discovered how much I loved sleeping with the balcony door propped open listening to the waves crashing. I don't mind the AC shutting off - it's worth it to me. I've been in friends' interior and ocean view cabins and was so glad I never booked one of those coffins. For $100 a day I get to wake up to an ocean breeze - and I don't get that at home in Wisconsin!!

There are a couple of other advantages of a balcony that my wife and I appreciate.

We do not like crowds. We love sitting on our own private deck whle others are out fighting for chair upstairs.

Before dinner, I will typically be ready well before my wife. It is a great time to hang out, sip on a drink and watch the world go by while she gets ready for dinner.

Sometimes you just need a little more space. especially when you are trying to cruise with a third person in the cabin.

My husband and I have taken 8 cruises together - 4 with balconies and 4 with ocean views. At first we really thought that we had to have a balcony for private space to ourselves. We found that most times we attempted to utilize our balconies there was a neighbor on their balcony either smoking (please no comments about smokers - everyone has that right) or they were carrying on long sometimes loud conversations. We found that we just didn't enjoy the balconies and the extra money wasn't worth it. On our last cruise we had a lovely corner ocean view on the Freedom and it was grand. I realize that it is a very personal choice and the above is just my opinion. Hope you have a fantastic trip!

You know, we had a balcony on the RC Explorer of the Seas last year and I really don't think we used it alot. I like the IDEA of having it though.. feeling a bit less "trapped" when in the room. But that's just my weird psychological game my head plays on me :)

Now that we'll be cruising with our 2 kids, I think room SIZE is most important, and by default the bigger rooms tend to have balconies so...

Heck YES!:p The first time you see the sun set over the water from YOUR balcony you will be hooked. You being able to not leave you room and read or just watch the water. If you smoke, you dont have to walk far. It has so many benefits that you wont question it next time! try it once and if you POSTIVELY ABSOLUTELY hate it (doubt it) than you wont have to do it again:)

i would not be without one to many thing to see as you float by the islands....

This is like asking if Kids are worth the hassle.

No one really knows until after the thing is done.

I had one on an NCL Hawaii cruise and it definitely was not worth it since the ship was docked in (industrial) ports almost all day every day.

Have one for our (2nd) Alaska cruise as the close by nature both ways would seem to call for it.

Don't have one on our Venice-Greek island cruise because again, days we are near land we will be docked most days.

Had one on our recent Baltimore to Bahamas cruise since it was only $80 more!

Totally depends on the person. For me personally, I'm happy with an interior room or ocean view at the most. I don't spend a lot of time in my cabin. I'm usually out & about on the ship. There is so much to do & see that for me, I can't picture myself missing those things to sit on a balcony. But that's just me! :)

I think it also depends on where you are going. We had a balcony on our first trip to Canada but didnt use it much because it was too cold. Next time, we had OV and it was fine.

If you are going to Hawaii or Alaska, the balcony can be more desired but again, for the first cruise. Save the money.

Just a suggestion: for first cruise, why not save the extra $700 and just go for an oceanview cabin to see if you like cruising. On your next one, go for the balcony depending upon how much usage you think you'll get out of it. We use our balcony a lot and always pay the extra, others feel it isn't worth the extra cost. Regardless, enjoy your cruise-know you will. :)

I agree. I think your first cruise should be an ocean view. It is an amazing experience to look out the window of your room at the ocean. Save the money. $700 is a good start of planning a future cruise, especially if you decide to book a balcony.

When on cruise, I love just sitting and watching the ocean and at night the stars. You can do this from the decks. You will appreciate it more when you have a balcony later.

I have taken 5 cruises, 3 ocean views and 2 insides. My next cruise is my first balcony. Carnival had it on sale and I would like to try it at least once. Good or bad experience, I suspect I will return to insides after that cruise, the Liberty is an inside. I can take more cruises if I take an inside than OV's or Balconies.

Another option, book an ocean view and before you leave and or when you get on the ship, check if a balcony is available. They might let you upgrade for little additional $. Have fun and welcome to cruising. :D:D

Archived