Is a balcony worth the extra money?

cat9661

We had a balcony on our Alaskan cruise, our first balcony, and we loved it, was a bit chilly out there most times but still enjoyable. Going on a Carribean cruise in Oct and expect the balcony room to be awesome, personally I wont book anything else, unless someday I could afford a suite.

We will have our first balcony in October on the Fascination. (I know those things are hardly big enough to be called balconies, but there is a door that will open.) It's a shorter (5-day) cruise and our first with the kids (interior across the hall) so we paid a little less than $100/day extra for the balcony (over an interior). I guess we'll see if it's worth it.

We cruised twice with interiors and most recently with an OV. Seems we are in the minority, but we would NOT get an OV over an interior again. The cost difference just really wasn't worth it for us. We are hardly ever in the cabin -- we love to be out and about the ship and to people watch. Also, we stay out late and get up early(ish) and really missed being able to nap in a dark Interior cabin. After the dissapointing OV in July, I would have changed the upcoming balcony to an Interior, but DH wants to give a balcony a try and see what all the hype is about.

One last thought - I really did enjoy sitting by the rail on the Fantasy's aft serenity deck and think I could be talked into an aft balcony at least once.

This is an old thread, I wonder what the OP decided.

oh yes!!! When we went on our first cruise I didn't think that we would use it so we just got an OV. Friends of ours that went with us had a Balcony and we spent so much time out there!!! We are now booked on in a balcony on the Dream in November!!!! We will never again cruise without a balcony its so beautiful!!!!

We have never had a balcony. Have always booked inside and occasionally have been upgraded to an OV. Have 14 cruises under our belts from 7 to 16 days. We have obviously chosen to cruise more often, rather than have a balcony. However, part of my rationel may be incorrect, and there are people here who can tell me if that is so.

Our OV's were a wipe out for us. Apart from some natural light we saw nothing of any interest, nor in a comfortable manner. Once, the window was above the bed and you had to sit on your knees on the bed to look out over the window sill. Another time or two there was a small settee next to the window, but it was so low that when you sat there you could not see outside with ease without stretching your neck..( and we are both very tall). Standing in front of the window was entertaining for very limited amounts of time.

My belief about a balcony is like this: I think I will get bored looking out at right angles to the ship between my walls on the balcony. I want to know what is happening in front and behind us too, so would have to lean on the balcony to get the full view I think. Further, I would always be wondering what was happening on the other side of the ship, and would wonder if I was missing big pods of whales or whatever! Or the coastline may be there, or the upcoming port.Yes, I would love to have a coffee on my balcony to start the day, but that would last about 20 minutes before I would want to be out on deck. We do get coffee to our inside cabins and drink it as we get ready for the day.

At this moment we both love being out and about constantly changing our place on the ship to see it all by rotating ourselves from one vantage point to another.

What do you think? I am open to changing my mind...just need to know if my theory holds any water at all? Anybody else think like this? Thanks for your opinions..I will value them.

Nope,,,not for me! For $700 I can almost take a second, seven day cruise, and I'd MUCH rather do that. I've tried a balcony, and yes, it's nice at times, but I just didn't spend enough time in the cabin, or on the balcony to justify the cost. Give me the additional cruise anytime!

"SKY"

The balcony cabins we have had were great but I think we would have had as good of a time no matter what accomodations we were in. Balcony cabins are nice but not necessary to a great cruise. You can't beat the value of an inside cabin.

We have never had a balcony. Have always booked inside and occasionally have been upgraded to an OV. Have 14 cruises under our belts from 7 to 16 days. We have obviously chosen to cruise more often, rather than have a balcony. However, part of my rationel may be incorrect, and there are people here who can tell me if that is so.

Our OV's were a wipe out for us. Apart from some natural light we saw nothing of any interest, nor in a comfortable manner. Once, the window was above the bed and you had to sit on your knees on the bed to look out over the window sill. Another time or two there was a small settee next to the window, but it was so low that when you sat there you could not see outside with ease without stretching your neck..( and we are both very tall). Standing in front of the window was entertaining for very limited amounts of time.

My belief about a balcony is like this: I think I will get bored looking out at right angles to the ship between my walls on the balcony. I want to know what is happening in front and behind us too, so would have to lean on the balcony to get the full view I think. Further, I would always be wondering what was happening on the other side of the ship, and would wonder if I was missing big pods of whales or whatever! Or the coastline may be there, or the upcoming port.Yes, I would love to have a coffee on my balcony to start the day, but that would last about 20 minutes before I would want to be out on deck. We do get coffee to our inside cabins and drink it as we get ready for the day.

At this moment we both love being out and about constantly changing our place on the ship to see it all by rotating ourselves from one vantage point to another.

What do you think? I am open to changing my mind...just need to know if my theory holds any water at all? Anybody else think like this? Thanks for your opinions..I will value them.

I think it is just a matter of opinion. I love a balcony. The very least I will take is an ocean view. I don't find it hard to see out at all. I am a bit closterphobic and if I was in an interior room and couldn't see outside, it would drive me nuts. The first thing I do when I get up in the morning is pull the drapes back to see what the day looks like and it stays open while I get ready to start my day. With a balcony, I love to relax out there for a little bit before starting my day and also before we get ready for dinner I like to take a drink back to my room and enjoy it on the balcony and rest a little bit before getting ready for dinner. Plus I really like the drapes open so I can look out when I am getting ready. I just don't like to feel closed in which a room without a window would make me feel. Again, this is just my opinion and everyone likes different things which is why they offer different rooms with different rates.

I love to cruise, we leave in 31 days!!!!!!!!!

We are thinking of cruising from Norfolk to the Bahamas on the Glory, never been on a cruise before is the balcony worth 700.00 more?

Thanks

To some people--yes. To me--Nope.:D

I'm too social. I've had balconies, ocean views, and insides, but no matter what the view from the balcony I am always sure I am missing some of the fun so I cannot wait to get up on deck or somewhere on the ship and see what's happening out there!

As soon as I get up, I can't wait to go down and have breakfast with other passengers/friends/family and watch the view out of the MDR or buffet. Then off to an excursion or by the pool, or the waterworks, or whatever else trouble I can get into, LOL.

We have had a balcony on our last 3 cruises and yes they were great BUT....if you took how much time we spent on the balcony I really don't think it was worth the price. We would spend a few minutes a day out on the balcony...so maybe on a 7 day cruise it would add up to 2 hours......Don't really think it is worth the additional cost. There are so many things to do on a cruise. I think I would rather have the 700 dollars to spend on things on the cruise. I guess smokers have to have a balcony because they can't go without smoking.

at this thread for several days...

& my answer is still, "No."

I've just come to the conclusion that we are insiders. I've been in a balcony room (They used it for storage on my last cruise & it happened to be open as I walked by, my room steward let me go in & check it out) & it isn't bigger (imho - maybe it doesn't "feel bigger") & the balcony is rather small (again IMHO). I thought that I would feel differently about the room & would be converted to a balcony user/needer.

But...

When I get up, I like to shower right away, so no hanging out in PJs.

I prefer to be served, so when possible, I eat my breakfast in the MDR. Hey I'm on vacation & I don't care to the Lido lines.

I've been told that when I get older & wiser - well I'm 40, not 20 & can afford a balcony, I'd just prefer to use that money in another manner.

People have wondered if I would spend more time in my room if I had a "better room" - If I wanted to spend the time in my room alone (or with my husband) I could do that at home, I'd prefer to be social on vacation.

YMMV, but there are valid reasons for either choice.

• 6 months later...
How could you eat on the balcony when you only have a tiny small and low table just to put few drinks on? Do they supply you with a snack table?

You know those coffee tables in your cabin that adjust up and down? They also fit through the balcony door. Just sayin. ;)

To some people--yes. To me--Nope.:D

I'm too social. I've had balconies, ocean views, and insides, but no matter what the view from the balcony I am always sure I am missing some of the fun so I cannot wait to get up on deck or somewhere on the ship and see what's happening out there!

As soon as I get up, I can't wait to go down and have breakfast with other passengers/friends/family and watch the view out of the MDR or buffet. Then off to an excursion or by the pool, or the waterworks, or whatever else trouble I can get into, LOL.

Yep--I'm with you. My first cruise I had a balcony, I think I went out there once in 7 days! I am a very social person, as soon as Im up in the morining (usually around 5:30am) Im out on the Lido deck, Mimosa in hand and my butt in my chair. When DH wakes up he knows where to find me. I will only book a balcony if it is an awesome deal, otherwise it is a complete waste of money for me.

Most experienced cruisers will tell you that once you pay the extra$$$ for a balcony, everything else won't be good enough. My solution and others is the rooms near "Secret Balcony". Now If I told you more then it wouldn't be a secret and i may not be able to get the room on my next cruise, so do a little digging on CC and I guarantee you'll save those extra $$$ for excursions and your bar tab from your S&S card.

Would never sail without having balcony cabin. By all means book the Norfolk cruise. We have taken this cruise Oct 2010 and going again May 15. We love to cruise out of Norfolk as we are only about 3 1/2 hours away. Saved all that airfare for excursions.

I don't understand the correlation between being "social" and not needing a balcony :confused:

I'm extremely social and cannot wait to get up, get out, and get into something. Usually, at the end of a 7 day cruise at least 50% of the passengers know my name and have bought me drinks. I'm rarely in my room. But the few minutes I spend on my balcony sipping coffee before I start my day, drinking a glass of wine before dinner, and gazing at the stars before bed are priceless to me. I love my balcony and won't cruise without one.

I have only cruised once, and leave in a couple weeks for my second cruise, so my opinion may be way off what others think....

When it comes to cruising, my opinion is go with the balcony or go with an inside room.... I have no interest in spending extra money for a porthole or oceanview room. Others may have different opinions, but I can't see a porthole or oceanview being anything other than a tease while you are in your room.

FWIW, we had a balcony on our first cruise and booked one again with our kids for the upcoming trip, we could have gone inside to offset some airfare costs, but as many on the forum have said... once you go balcony, you never go back.

Oh and if you do decide to go with a balcony room.... you might wanna read this thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1588979

Archived