Is a balcony worth the extra money?

cat9661

I would say yes to a Balcony. Our first was an OV, the last two and ourupcoming have been and will be balconies. I like the A/C on max, and my DW gets cold easy. So she will go out on the Balcony to warm up. Plus, we both smoke.:)

We are thinking of cruising from Norfolk to the Bahamas on the Glory, never been on a cruise before is the balcony worth 700.00 more?

Thanks

Our first 2 cruises we had balconies and loved them, but on our last cruise we did an inside room to save money and to be honest, I LOVED IT! So to answer your ? it depends on how much you are going to stay in your room. As for us, we were on there to change cloths and sleep.

The only way you'll ever know is if you try one. You may not like your first cruise because you didn't have one, or, you might enjoy it more if you did. You'll never know.

Our first was an ocean view. Our second was a balcony on the Empress Deck. We said we'd never go back to an ocean view. Our third, we paid for a balcony on the Empress Deck and got upgraded to a blacony on the Panorama Deck. Now we'll never go lower. Yes it costs more but to us, it's worth it. Like one other poster said, we'd rather do what we want and do it less than do more and enjoy them less. But that's us.

I agree with you. Our first cruise was an ocean view (nice) 2nd was an inside (never again) and this one will be a balcony on the empress deck.. Whether I use it a lot or not, I don't know, but we got the balcony anyway. I am like you. I would rather go on vacation less, but better, than go on skimpy ones. I am not one to hang in a room a lot, but when DH is showering, I am sure I would rather sit out on the balcony than sit on the bed or a chair waiting.

For me, yes. I love being able to go out on the balcony in the morning still in my PJ's and watch the ship pull into port. Then in the afternoon, when I get back to my cabin, I shower and put on a robe (or back in my PJs) and relax on the balcony while the breeze helps to dry my hair, LOL!

If you are of the mindset "My room is just for me to sleep in" then the balcony would probably be a waste of money.

I, too, love my balcony. It's great to hang out before dinner having a cocktail or to check out the moon or watch the sun rise. I would have a difficult time going back to a cabin without a balcony and I will never do an inside cabin ever again. Not since my first cruise in 1981. But that's me. If no balconies are available as on a ship we're going on on the Yangtze River in China, a water view will have to do.

We are thinking of cruising from Norfolk to the Bahamas on the Glory, never been on a cruise before is the balcony worth 700.00 more?

Thanks

As you can probably see by the responses (I haven't read the thread), it doesn't matter what it costs, some will ONLY cruise a balcony.

To others, like myself (only cruised a balcony once), I seldom hangout in the cabin. I use it only for showering, changing clothes and sleeping if I must, so almost any extra amount wouldn't be worth it to me.

I recently took my first cruise and made the mistake (IMO) of listening to the "You don't need a balcony on your first cruise" crowd. I did have an outside cabin with a window, which was nice, but I really wish I had booked a balcony.

I'm the type that's always up early and would have loved to sit out there with a cup of coffee and watched the sunrise instead of having to go up on deck every morning. Also, there were times during the day when I had done so much that I just wanted to relax (I'm not the energizer bunny type like those that are never in their cabin) and read my kindle. I had to either go out on deck or to the library to do that.

Did not having a balcony ruin my trip? Not at all. I probably spent a total of thirty seconds thinking about it over the course of seven days. I'd even book an OV, or even an inside cabin if it meant the difference between cruising or not.

I'm going to be booking my next cruise in about a week, a four day on the Triumph, and I'm definitely booking a balcony. :)

It's a tough call i guess if you have not experienced both? We only get inside rooms, and if we could swing extra money for a OV or Balcony likely wouldn't do it, just being $ cautious. I have family who has to have a window and family who have to have a balcony, so I have "used" them but never think I'd get one. I do see advantages posted here though. Mornings I am up at 5:30-6, I have to leave cabin for my wife and dd sleep later. I love top deck with a coffee at this time..maybe a deck would be nicer? I also have a 7 year old daughter, she heads to bed at 8, at times 9PM, either after homework or after a Cruise Show/Musical. Then I am in the room with a book and booklight, again a deck might be a better hang out for awhile, though I am beat by 9 as well.

I guess for a first cruise, one won't know what's worth it for them....experience though will help make the call in the future.

I'm a cheapskate 700 bucks is a lot to me, I'd not spend it, get the same food, service and the views on the deck are free :D

Thanks

On my first cruise we booked a balcony and we LOVED it. I'm an early riser and the DH likes to sleep in so it was nice to have a private outside area to sit and watch the sun come up. We ended up eating all of our breakfasts out their and it was a relaxing way to start the cruise.

This go around we're in an inside cabin (literally across the hall from the first cabin) since it was a cheap last minute getaway. I felt since "I'd been there, done that" it wouldn't matter much to me.

All in all we spent a LOT of time in the balcony cabin because we didn't feel the need to go out as much. This go around we don't anticipate doing the same.

My verdict? Balcony if you can afford it.

Yes here also Balcony.

Waking at any time during the night step out onto balcony and watch the world go by. No need to get dressed to go on deck.

Restless at night ( no spare bedroom like home) and don't want to disturb the SO see reason above.

Hear the Ocean and feel the Ocean breezes at night, need a balcony to do that without leaving the room.

Getting crazy on deck and just want to relax, go to your balcony for a hour or so. Very Peaceful!

Morning coffee with my Brogans Irish Cream.

SO is getting ready for dinner, you've got it Balcony.

I prefer a balcony while DH prefers an inside (to save money and he feels we can get same views up on deck and don't spend enough time on the balcony). Both DH and I agree that an OV is a waste of money, so we will go inside unless we can get a good deal on a balcony (would spend $150-200 more total for the balcony...would not spend $700 more). We had one on our last cruise to Canada because I won free cruise bingo and got a free cabin for 2 (put 2 kids in it...DS and his friend) and then splurged on the balcony for DH and I (and our twin DDs) and got about $200-250 in price drops before we cruised (with ES rate). I'm also going to be in a balcony with my mom in April on the Pride...got a really really great deal from my TA. It was a GTY and I just got our cabin assignment...was worried it would be a crummy location, but it's fantastic (mid ship on the Verendah deck).

Thanks

That's like asking "Coke or Pepsi" It depends on who you ask. Me? I'd save the money. Your $700 will not get you any special treatment other than your balcony (usually 10x4) There could be issues with neighbors. Smokers, lights left on all night, and noise. IMO there are plenty of places on deck to enjoy the sea. After you leave your cabin people in more expensive accomodations get the same treatment as everyone else.

Having a balcony is worth it -- especially if you have kids. On his first cruise, my DS, age 5, would stay out there every minute he could (he wanted to sleep out there) -- either staring at the stars ("mommy, there are so many more out here than at home") or trying to see the fish in the waves. We brought binoculars and tried to see land or fish during the day and stars and planets at night. It made the whole cruise magical for him!

Also, since our kids go to bed early, DH and I hang out there in the evening with cocktails while the kids are asleep.

No balcony = no cruise for me!!!

We are close to our second cruise ever. Our first cruise we had a balcony. For this upcoming cruise I booked an OV to save a few bucks. However, I found myself constantly thinking about how we might not like the OV and I should have just booked the balcony. I know it sounds silly, but it was just eating at me! :o It finally bugged me enough that yesterday I called and changed to balcony. I felt much better after that call. :D

Archived