Is a balcony worth the extra money?

cat9661

I love a balcony but not for $700 more. I got a balcony for $100 more than what is considered an inside with the french door so I grabbed it gladly. Nothing like coffee, OJ and croissant on the balcony in the morning. Or reading out there later. So peaceful...

Hate to say it, but I'd rather take 1 balcony cruise a year, then 2 non balcony cruises. A suite, or spa room - not important to me -a balcony, mandatory..

My feelings also. I cannot image cruising without having a balcony. I love to go out on my balcony first thing in the morning and the last thing before I go to bed. There's nothing like drinking your morning coffee while in you pj's on your balcony. I had a balcony on my first cruise and hopefully will have a balcony on my last cruise.

I admit I am a balcony snob....... :)

I've had balconies and gave up on them as I was never there. I'm not a "sit on the balcony and order room service" kind of person. I am a "let's get up and get out there NOW" kind. I spend so very little time in the cabin. I am on the deck in the sun with a DOD in my hand, playing cards with friends in the shade on the Lido, or watching the ship come in or leave with friends on the big decks.

I can understand that some people really value them, but me........not so much.:D

• 2 months later...

I have to have a balcony, love sitting out there at night watching the water rush by. I also like to watch for dolphins or whales during the day, or other ships passing in the distance, or the shoreline if you are close to land. Then there is coming into port early in the morning.

We are thinking of cruising from Norfolk to the Bahamas on the Glory, never been on a cruise before is the balcony worth 700.00 more?

Thanks

Balconies are nice for sure. $700 in your pocket is nice too.

We had to have a balcony on our first cruise. Used it some.

It rained some and was too windy other times.

Second cruise had an aft balcony. Better weather. It was great

but expensive.

Since then, been in 4 inside cabins and I like inside cabins for better sleep.

Obviously, the thing is you need to get dressed and get out to enjoy the

ocean views.

Our bottom line is on "port intensive" cruises inside cabins are fine for us both.

Save the money and pay for excursions and steakhouse dining. Nice

view up there.

With a lot of "sea days" Everybody has more time to sit on a balcony and

would enjoy one....save up or whatever.

For your first cruise, you would not have regrets booking a balcony.

Have fun.

:cool:

But our next several bookings are balconies again.

We have always had porthole cabins, but this time we splurged and got the aft wrap balcony. For us do we think its worth it, yes, otherwise we wouldnt have splurged. When we cruised before we always found a secluded spot to sit and watch the ocean go by, so this time we can do it from our own balcony. If we find ourselves not liking it, we would have no problem going back to a porthole cabin. I think its all up to you, if you want to try the balcony, go for it!

Just a suggestion: for first cruise, why not save the extra $700 and just go for an oceanview cabin to see if you like cruising. On your next one, go for the balcony depending upon how much usage you think you'll get out of it. We use our balcony a lot and always pay the extra, others feel it isn't worth the extra cost. Regardless, enjoy your cruise-know you will. :)

Good advice. We love being out and about on the ship, so balcony would not be worth any amount of money. Suggest, as did Procruise, that you start out cheaper and go up if desired.

Happy sails.

Kathy

A lot of differing opinions here. I will never sail again without a balcony...that being said, if it was my first cruise I'd save the $. You won't know what you're missing and you'll still have an excellent time. Next cruise I'd get the balcony and you'll be hooked.

As someone on here already said; it's so nice to outside first thing in the morning in your bathrobe and take in the view. I never heard anything or smelled any smoke.

If you have the extra money, I say go for it. See if there any obstructed balconies, there a lot more cheaper and in most cases the obstruction is the lifeboats hang at your feet, so you can't look down, but you can see out. We got an obstructed balcony for our first cruise and this time we stepped up and got a normal balcony. Just something to think about!

Below is the view from our obstructed balcony

WeddingHM20068.jpg

We really don't use our balconies either. We might sit out there for a few minutes but usually the neighbors smoke or the banging from people slamming their balcony doors bother us. What we really love is having a nice big window. We are only getting a ocean view on our next cruise. Going to save the extra $500 for shore excursions.

If you can afford it then HECK YES. We went on our first cruise and spent 75% of our time on balcony. We had coffee on the balcony, we read on the balcony, we watched the waves on the balcony, we napped on the balcony and when I got sea sick in rough waves the fresh air from the balcony helped me feel better.

I can't sail in anything else.

On my first cruise I hardly stayed in the cabin (OV). I was too busy running all over the ship trying to do everything at once. And this was a small ship; Nordic Prince 1200 pax.

After 5 or 6 cruises I tried a balcony and nowam hooked. Once the excitement of being on a ship calms down then you look for relaxation and sheer enjoyment of being at sea.

DH and I like to have morning coffee on the balcony. Then in the afternoon it is nice to sit out there with a drink and a cheese platter from room service while reading, dozing or watching the sight in port or just watching the sea.

I would suggest not getting a balcony on your first cruise. Use that money for photos, tours, etc. Things that you probably won't buy on subsequent cruises. Then if you get hooked on cruising go for the balcony.

Whichever you choose have a great cruise!! And don't forget to enjoy!!:)

I have paid the extra for a balcony on two occasions, only to be forced inside by obnoxious loud inconsiderate neighbors on the adjoining balcony who were partying all hours out there, slamming the door constantly. Also, smoke smoke smoke. It was horrible, and I was angry that I paid all that extra for something we couldn't use. Last cruise had an inside cabin, but felt like I was in a cave, although I have to admit we spent a whole lot more time enjoying the outdoor decks and pools as an indoor is really only good for sleeping/showering. Next cruise in Jan. we are booked into oceanview just to get the light and views. I will never again pay all that extra money for a balcony after two uncomfortable experiences. If you are fortunate enough to book a balcony and have considerate neighbors who don't smoke constantly, then you will love a balcony. Otherwise, you may end up regretting it. (unless you party all hours, loudly, and smoke like a chimney).

We just took our first cruise on the Fantasy, had an Oceanview room on the Empress ... absolutely LOVED IT!

We said we will upgrade to a balcony next time because my hubby's a smoker & he wants to be able to enjoy a cigarette in his room.

One thing I remember is day one of the cruise we got a seat near one of the windows that open (not many did) on the Lido Deck, and the breeze was just amazing. We had to fight to get that seat for the rest of the cruise lol. We also slept out on the Lido for about an hour late on the 2nd evening because it just felt so good. More reasons I'd love to get a balcony next time.

Now for $700, we both may have to just haul it up to the Lido deck :) but we'll definitely look into a balcony next time around & if its affordable we're going for it.

We have only been on one cruise Oct. 2010 and we opted for a balcony because it wasnt much more money and we so loved it. We are going again in January on the Victory with a balcony as well. From what I have noticed they are a couple hundred more and worth it for us-but I wouldnt pay $700 more-I would just spend more time on the outside decks:)

Not to me, but it may to you. I have done both and don't mind going to an Inside after having had a balcony. It is two different cruise experiences for me. If I have a balcony I end up staying in the room more; if I don't get one I explore more. This last trip we got one simply because we had our 10 month with us and knew we wanted to have a place to go when we were stuck in the room with the little one, also my parents had a balcony room next door to us. I know some can't do without it, but I can. Good luck deciding!!

We are thinking of cruising from Norfolk to the Bahamas on the Glory, never been on a cruise before is the balcony worth 700.00 more?

Thanks

I think it is totally worth the extra. We do spend time on the balcony. I like sitting out there first thing in the morning before I get my day started and I also like going out there with a drink right before getting ready for dinner to wind down a bit. I also like to get away from people for a bit and the privacy of my balcony is the way to go. It is just a personal preference though. We are going on our next cruise Oct 1, 2011!!! 36 days!!!!! Whoohoo

and we do have a balcony this trip.

Happy Sailing!!!!!

We just booked for 10/2012. I plan on making reservations at the spa and the additional restaurants. I attempted to make the spa reservation and it stated that there is nothing avaialble. Do you think this means it is already booked up, or that reservations are not being taken yet?

Petty tough Question. I've never been in an inside cabin, and i don't think I would really enjoy cruising with out at least a window to look out on the water. That being said, we did our 1st cruise with an oceanview on the riveria deck and was perfectly satisifed. the 2nd cruise, we did an aft balcony and really loved it, but if our lives would have stayed the same after that, it wouldn't have been a necessity. so the third cruise, it was back inside the ocean view, and I missed the balcony, but still had fun. Then we had kids, and it's been balconies ever since.

As for the $700, for me, I would look at a different cruise (either ship or date) and not an interior cabin to go cheaper. If you can't go inside and see if you like cruising. The factors that influence this decision just varies from person to person. For me the reasons I like the balcony:

Wife takes a long time to get ready.

Kid's nap & bed time.

I smoke, and can't do that in the cabin with Kids and I didn't like smoking inside when I didn't have kids cause there was no where for the smoke to go.

I also wake up earlier then the wife, so it's a nice quiet place to go.

On my 1st cruise, I watched the Sunrise as we sailed into Belize. Pretty priceless. On my last cruise, while we were in port, before leaving the ship, I watched Dolphins play in the water by the boat. I doubt I ever sail again without a balcony as long as the kids are going, and probably won't even if they aren't.

For someone who really wants to go and do and see on the ship it may not matter. One note: most people who upgrade to a balcony never go back to an oceanview or interior room.

My guess is that you're going to have a great time on your cruise. The balcony could make your trip a little more enjoyable, but it won't make or break your cruise experience.

Archived