Vines on refurbished Grand

jerwick

I have read on some reviews of the newly refurbished Grand that Vines

does not have tapas or sushi. Anyone know if that has changed or is it another cutback? Upcoming cruise booked with hopes of enjoying Vines as we have on previous ships Ruby, Emerald etc.

does not have tapas or sushi. Anyone know if that has changed or is it another cutback? Upcoming cruise booked with hopes of enjoying Vines as we have on previous ships Ruby, Emerald etc.

I would change my cruise;)

Correct. No tapas or sushi on the Grand.

They dropped Vines' tapas & sushi while adding the International Cafe & Alfredo's Pizzaria to the Piazza...works for me. :rolleyes: I rarely saw many eating tapas & sushi (although undoubtedly there were some) so maybe they're trying the IC & pizzaria to see how it works on the Grand? I thought it was unusual to offer sushi in the Italian-themed Piazza. :p

They dropped Vines' tapas & sushi while adding the International Cafe & Alfredo's Pizzaria to the Piazza...works for me. :rolleyes: I rarely saw many eating tapas & sushi (although undoubtedly there were some) so maybe they're trying the IC & pizzaria to see how it works on the Grand? I thought it was unusual to offer sushi in the Italian-themed Piazza. :p

I expect Alfredo's to be a hit. There were lines out there every single day. It was a good thing we tried it at the beginning of the cruise, because after 3 or 4 days you couldn't get in.

I expect Alfredo's to be a hit. There were lines out there every single day. It was a good thing we tried it at the beginning of the cruise, because after 3 or 4 days you couldn't get in.

I don't have my new atlas with me but it's been reported that on the new deck maps for the Sapphire (post January drydock) for 2012/2013 it shows an Alfredo's Pizzaria. We're sailing the Sapphire in late April so we're looking forward to this great addition to the Piazza. The old Vines Shop was such a waste of space for us & glad they're putting in the pizzaria. Too bad the Sapphire won't have gelato but the Crown will in 2 future cruises. I've been told to not expect gelato like I've enjoyed in Italia...would you agree? Someone posted the 5 types of pizza in Alfredo's however I don't recall them beyond 2 of them having fish which isn't for me. :p

I don't have my new atlas with me but it's been reported that on the new deck maps for the Sapphire (post January drydock) for 2012/2013 it shows an Alfredo's Pizzaria. We're sailing the Sapphire in late April so we're looking forward to this great addition to the Piazza. The old Vines Shop was such a waste of space for us & glad they're putting in the pizzaria. Too bad the Sapphire won't have gelato but the Crown will in 2 future cruises. I've been told to not expect gelato like I've enjoyed in Italia...would you agree? Someone posted the 5 types of pizza in Alfredo's however I don't recall them beyond 2 of them having fish which isn't for me. :p

Cucino Frank............believe it or not, I dislike gelato. Is that sacrilegious or what? Here's what you want; exerpted from my LIVE. Hey..............what is family for?

ALFREDO’S: Table service only, though there seems to be an area where you can eat at the bar. No bar stools were present. There are five types of pizza on the menu:

Capricciosa

Romana

Tarantina

Grand Princess

Vegetariana

Capricciosa has artichokes, mushrooms and prosciutto cotto,

Romana has anchovies, capers and black olives

Tarantina has mussels, shrimp and capers

Grand Princess has only cheeses and ham

Vegetariana has a whole garden

Cucino Frank............believe it or not, I dislike gelato. Is that sacrilegious or what? Here's what you want; exerpted from my LIVE. Hey..............what is family for?

ALFREDO’S: Table service only, though there seems to be an area where you can eat at the bar. No bar stools were present. There are five types of pizza on the menu:

Capricciosa

Romana

Tarantina

Grand Princess

Vegetariana

Capricciosa has artichokes, mushrooms and prosciutto cotto,

Romana has anchovies, capers and black olives

Tarantina has mussels, shrimp and capers

Grand Princess has only cheeses and ham

Vegetariana has a whole garden

Cugina Pia...grazie...I'll make a copy for future referrence!

OMG...don't like gelato...what does your famiglia think? :eek:

No margherita pizza? :rolleyes: I'll find something to enjoy...will they modify one of their standard pizzas? My wife will be happy with the Tarantina because she likes mussels. Are they individual pizzas or slices?

Now they need to have a cannoli bar...one as good as my Aunt Marie's version...no candied fruit, only chocolate shavings. However it wouldn't work on a cruise because the shell gets too mushy when they sit with the filling. I've had head waiters say they could make some with advance notice but have never done it because that would be too much work for only a few passengers.

Ciao,

Cugino Frank

No problem, as long as I don't give up the pasta. :D

No margherita pizza? :rolleyes: I'll find something to enjoy...will they modify one of their standard pizzas? My wife will be happy with the Tarantina because she likes mussels. Are they individual pizzas or slices?

I never inquired about removing items. Pizzas are about 10"; whole ones, no slices.

Now they need to have a cannoli bar...one as good as my Aunt Marie's version...no candied fruit, only chocolate shavings. However it wouldn't work on a cruise because the shell gets too mushy when they sit with the filling. I've had head waiters say they could make some with advance notice but have never done it because that would be too much work for only a few passengers.

Ciao,

Cugino Frank

Uh oh. I don't think you want to hear about me not liking cannolis. Ciao.

Looks like there will be three "sub classes" of Grand class ships as far as the Plaza Deck design/layout.

• The Crown, Emerald and Ruby with gelato at the IC and tapas/sushi at Vines.
  • The Grand and eventually the Sapphire and Diamond with a sit down Pizzeria but no gelato and no tapas/sushi.
  • The Caribbean, Golden and Star with no gelato but with tapas/sushi and the "useless" Vines Shop/Godiva Shop or whatever.

Princess could always change the Star Plaza Deck design/layout during her November drydock and change other ships later.

On the Caribbean Cruises, last April, the Vines on Star Princess was full every evening with most ordering Sushi or Tapas with the higher priced wines.

• The Caribbean, Golden and Star with no gelato but with tapas/sushi and the "useless" Vines Shop/Godiva Shop or whatever.

Princess could always change the Star Plaza Deck design/layout during her November drydock and change other ships later.

Correct. No tapas or sushi on the Grand.

That's terribly disappointing to hear, but I'm very glad to know in advance. Thank you for sharing that information.

On the Caribbean Cruises, last April, the Vines on Star Princess was full every evening with most ordering Sushi or Tapas with the higher priced wines.

Yes, we very much enjoy the sushi and tapas with a glass of wine, and will occasionally even make a light evening meal of it. Guess the Grand may be off my "hit list".

Don't know if it's going to be a steady thing, but we sat in Vines late one afternoon, and they offered us some hard cheeses with our glass of wine.

The revamped Vines is still a great venue, and Alfredo's really is a great addition to the Piazza, and we enjoyed them both

Srpilo

Ciao,

Cugino Frank

They made a margherita for me on Grand last month.Wish they would add a salad course or antipasto like the Sun Class pizzerias have.

They made a margherita for me on Grand last month.Wish they would add a salad course or antipasto like the Sun Class pizzerias have.

If they do that, it now becomes a restaurant and with that small area, they need turnover. It wouldn't work. Pizza and a drink and you're out of there.

Archived