Question re: overseas flight and carryon bag

SewCruise

I will be flying from the U.S. into Barcelona for a 12 night Med cruise. It's been a long time since I've been on a transatlantic flight, and I'm getting a little worried about baggage restrictions.

I never travel domestically with a carry-on suitcase. I always check a large suitcase and then just carry on a big purse. But for the Barcelona flight I plan on checking one bag and carrying on a purse plus small rolling upright (19 x 14 x 9 in.).

I've checked my airline's size restrictions and my carry-on seems to fall within the acceptable limits. But I have seen sometimes these rolling carryons get gate checked for domestic flights. What is the likelihood that mine might get gate checked for an international flight? Are the bags that get gate checked too big for the overhead bins or what?

I am planning on packing my carry-on with items I wish to use during the flight, plus a change of clothes, medications, etc. But there's not much point in doing that if there's a chance I'll have to relinquish my bag before boarding. :confused: Someone reassure me please!

Typically you only see gate checking on flights on regional jets or prop planes - because larger carryons cannot fit in the overhead bins (bins are smaller than on larger planes). On most flights on larger planes, it is uncommon to need to gate check carryons.

I would not worry about needing to gate check your carryon for your transatlantic flight.

If you have checked with your airline and your bag measures under the maximum (most are around 22 X 17 X 9) you should be fine. Your bag measures quite a bit under the limitations. If you bring a second piece (purse/bckpack/computer bag) make sure it is within the size range.

With European travel, the size/weight matters a lot more on flights within Europe, most luggage sold in the US is too large for that.

So, if you have a connecting flight, you should check that as well.

Just to add, if your piece has wheels load it with the wheels facing outward, it fits into the overhead bin better. Many times people will put their pieces in sideways because they can't shove it in with the wheels loaded first. It's part of making sure all people can load one piece into the overhead bins and the pax can be seated faster, since no one will have to hunt down space and attendants don't have to rearrange luggage.

Usually when you have to gate check a carry-on it's either too large, or you're flying on a small domestic carrier....so you shouldn't have a problem with your bag, so long as you've checked your airlines restrictions.

I usually carry my meds in my purse..or at least what I'll need for a couple of days, just in case there is any issue with my luggage (lost, stolen, something spilled on it, etc.)

Just make sure that you carefully follow the TSA restrictions on liquids (and gels) that you can have in your carry-on, and you understand how to pack them (in a quart zip-lock bag, at the top of your carry on, so you can remove them quickly).

Have a great trip!

If your rollerboard is within the carry-on limits, you'll be allowed to take it on board. But, there are never any guarantees the overhead bin space won't fill up, for domestic or international flights. You always have a risk of having to gate check a bag. I wouldn't waste time worrying about it, but it's always a possibility.

This year in Barcelona was the first time I have ever had to put my bag in the 'template' for size (it passed). This was Delta. It was the first thing before you could get into the line to check in. EM

Try not to be the last one on the plane. That does not mean you have to board before your rows are called, but some people like to stay in the waiting area as long as possible.

I always carry a small bag in my carryon that has medicines, valuables and absolute essentials. I can rip in out and hang on to it if I am forced to gate check a bag.

Gate checking does happen on all sorts of flights not just regional jets.

On overseas flights from the US some people feel that have to carry on a great deal of stuff and hog the bins.

This year in Barcelona was the first time I have ever had to put my bag in the 'template' for size (it passed). This was Delta. It was the first thing before you could get into the line to check in. EM

I wish all airlines did this!! Especially with today's baggage fees, more and more people seem to be carrying on huge bags (often bigger than my checked bag!).

Not only do they selfishly hog the overhead bins, they're dangerous to seated passengers as they swing their way down the aisles!

I don't know if this is still true, but in late 2006 we flew thru England on the way to Spain and we were only allowed a single item while in England. IE purses had to go in the carry-on. If this applies to you please verify. We had to stuff, and I do mean stuff the carry-ons.

jc

I don't know if this is still true, but in late 2006 we flew thru England on the way to Spain and we were only allowed a single item while in England. IE purses had to go in the carry-on. If this applies to you please verify. We had to stuff, and I do mean stuff the carry-ons.

jc

jc, British airports stopped that requirement a couple years ago. It's no longer an issue.

I always carry a small bag in my carryon that has medicines, valuables and absolute essentials. I can rip in out and hang on to it if I am forced to gate check a bag.

Gate checking does happen on all sorts of flights not just regional jets.

On overseas flights from the US some people feel that have to carry on a great deal of stuff and hog the bins.

I hate Bin Hogs more than chair hogs.

The one time we gate checked our luggage was waiting for us as we left the plane.

"I don't know if this is still true, but in late 2006 we flew thru England on the way to Spain and we were only allowed a single item while in England. IE purses had to go in the carry-on. If this applies to you please verify. We had to stuff, and I do mean stuff the carry-ons"

"British airports stopped that requirement a couple years ago. It's no longer an issue."

Not entirely true - some low cost airlines have retained the 'one piece only' rule, presumably to make a bit more out of the checked baggage charge, so investigation of the individual airline's requirements would be a good idea.

I will be flying from the U.S. into Barcelona for a 12 night Med cruise. It's been a long time since I've been on a transatlantic flight, and I'm getting a little worried about baggage restrictions.

You didn't say if you were flying direct to Barcelona or changing flights in transit somewhere en route? If you are changing flights in Europe, onwards to Barcelona, just be a bit careful in relation to your carry on baggage. Likewise, be wary if you are on a code-share flight. Delta code share with Air France for example. It is about bearing in mind that in Europe we do not carry on anything like they do and regard as quite normal as in the USA. Likewise, if you transit in Europe, they will have all your liquids, if they don't meet the regulation size etc. If anyone tries to charge you for baggage at an interim stop, argue the fact that you are on a through transatlantic tick. I am sure you will be fine, but it is about being prudent. Clearly you are as otherwise, you wouldn't have asked the question!

Sorry I wasn't clear in my original post - my flight will be direct from the U.S. into Barcelona. No other stops outside of the U.S. So it looks like I'll probably be ok. I'll make sure to get myself on the plane as soon as I'm allowed to make sure the bin hogs don't squeeze me out! :D

Again, I appreciate the clarification and suggestions from everyone who has responded!

Archived