"Project Breakaway"

eroller

No. Project Breakaway is the code name for the 2 new builds. The EPIC's codename was F3.

The teasers start tomorrow (21st) even though sailing isn't until April 2013...providing the world doesn't end in December 2012 (or October 2011 for that matter). :)

Thanks, I just read all about it now. New Miini-Suites. Hope they are not priced too high from reading all that are included.

New cabin renderings are out. See here:

https://www.facebook.com/Norwegiancruiseline?sk=app_205017296207852

Standard balcony and bathroom design is pretty much a replica to the Celebrity Solstice and OASIS/ALLURE design. Closets are positioned the same way and so are the larger standard bathrooms. The "interconnecting" design is also repeated. Instead of being "wavy" like on EPIC, the design is more angular just like on SOLSTICE/ALLURE/OASIS. Keep in mind that the Solstice Class was also built at Meyer-Werft, and a lot of research was done on this particular cabin design. I guess Royal Caribbean/Celebrity did not place any kind of trademark or patent on it considering this design for Project Breakaway is very similar.

I note the shower on Project Breakaway even features a "shaving bar" for the ladies. This was a feature announced by Celebrity when the "Five Leading Ladies" helped design the cabins.

Can't tell for sure but the NCL version may be slightly more narrow as there is still no coffee table in front of the sofa (like on EPIC), but both the Celebrity and Royal Caribbean design have this feature.

Ernie

And am I wrong or does NCL not have a Mexican Riveria route?? I need to do the Love Boat Route.. :)

While the Alaska season is on, I don't think NCL does have a Mexican Riviera itinerary. But during the winter months, one of the Alaska route ships usually does Mexico instead. This past season it was the Star.

While the Alaska season is on, I don't think NCL does have a Mexican Riviera itinerary. But during the winter months, one of the Alaska route ships usually does Mexico instead. This past season it was the Star.

It is my understanding that NCL has discontinued its MR itinerary due to security concerns. In the spring of 2012 the Spirit will be moving to Europe and the Star will assume the New Orleans sailings

• 5 weeks later...

My first cruise was 1n 1992 on the Norway and it was the best experience a first time cruiser could have had. In the main dining room you had complete silverware service which was a great learning experience for my 2 teens at the time. They had a strict dress code for the ship and the dining room had a closed door policy 15 min after start of dining time. It was old school cruising with a degree of elegance. What impressed us was the ship felt like you were on the Titanic w/o the iceberg. It was a huge cruise ship at that time and we had to be shuttled into St Thomas and about everyplace except its home port. The thing that impressed us the most was it was 1st class service to all no matter if you were in an interior cabin or a balcony. everyone was a 1st class passenger. I fear that more and more the cruise industry to squeeze more and more revenue is going back to the class system of cruising like on the original Titanic where there were decks the people in steerage could not go. The project breakaway reminds me of this system as the cluster of suites are immune to the steerage folks in the main dining room. More and more the more they can get you to pay the the better the service and cut of meat rather than a cruise where all are served a 1st class meal in MDR with the same 1st class service for everyone as it was an all inclusive deal rather than an ala carte pay as you cruise mentality which the cruise industry is turning into. I really enjoyed my 1st cruise on the Norway as it was an all inclusive deal where all were 1st class...Dennis B.;)

• 1 month later...
More and more the more they can get you to pay the the better the service and cut of meat rather than a cruise where all are served a 1st class meal in MDR with the same 1st class service for everyone as it was an all inclusive deal rather than an ala carte pay as you cruise mentality which the cruise industry is turning into. I really enjoyed my 1st cruise on the Norway as it was an all inclusive deal where all were 1st class...Dennis B.;)

You can still have a cruise like that...Silversea or another high end line includes everything.

But, you're not going to get what you seek unless you're willing to pay for it. Of course, mainstream lines could double the base rate of what is paid and then include more offerings. This would limit the option of cruising for a segment of vacationers. The a la carte method allows guests to choose what they want included in their cruise...and, yes, exclusivity and privacy are a commodity that have a value (and, hence, a price). A quick read of the NCL board will reveal that there are certainly many folks that are huge fans of NCL's superior suite product (as compared to other mainstream lines) and are willing to pay additional to enjoy the benefits offered.

While you say if everyone was treated the same, er "1st class", to some, that would equate to everyone being treated the same, er common. Why have airlines kept first class and offer enhanced services to those guests? A. They have guests that are loyal and spend boatloads of cumulative cash with that airline B. They have guests that aren't loyal but are willing to spend boatloads of one time cash. Think about it...a flight from LAX to MIA in coach may cost $200 each way...but up to $2,000 in first class. Granted, most people in first don't pay full first rates, if only 1 did, that equals 10 coach tickets...that's bank. On my vacation a couple months ago, I could have had 6 coach seats for the price of my seat...I wanted the space and service so it was worth it for me.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. And your expectations should be set accordingly. So our opinions differ, we usually prefer privacy, space, exclusivity, and additional services...

I'm neutral on the names. However, I don't know if NCL plans on adding more ships (as they do have more options for them) what they're going to do to keep with this "away" names theme. The Jewel-class ships stuck with Jewel ideas (eg, Pearl, Jewel, Gem, Jade). It shall be interesting to see what they come up with next should NCL exercise the option to build more. :)

Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway???!!!

This had to have been fixed. Quite stupid...

Don't compare to Norwegian Majesty or Dynasty or Crown. Oh well, what do I know?

You know more than the creative offices of NCL, that's for sure, or the never cruised before lady who picked it. There are all kinds of jokes already. NCL Break-apart or the NCL Get-away. Good advertising for the competitor cruise lines to use in a slogan against sailing with NCL. Many have said Getaway is after somebody robs a bank and Breakaway is breaking out of jail. Maybe the lounge will be called The Hideaway. I love NCL, but seriously? Sounds like cheap ships, not classy.

You know more than the creative offices of NCL, that's for sure, or the never cruised before lady who picked it. There are all kinds of jokes already. NCL Break-apart or the NCL Get-away. Good advertising for the competitor cruise lines to use in a slogan against sailing with NCL. Many have said Getaway is after somebody robs a bank and Breakaway is breaking out of jail. Maybe the lounge will be called The Hideaway. I love NCL, but seriously? Sounds like cheap ships, not classy.

Like I said on another thread...laughing stock of the cruise industry.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree about the ice skating rink. I don't think I really seen anyone use it when we were on the Epic last year. Thank goodness they didn't invest in a "real" one.

I do however like the bowling alley. Nothing like trying to get your bowl on while on a moving ship. :eek: It made an interesting game and I did have an "excuse". ;)

Perhaps it didn't work because it really wasn't an ice rink such as the ones on RCI. Anyone watching the Undercover Boss episode where they had to assemble the so-called ice rink might understand why it was not a popular attraction and anyone who has been on an RCI ship with real ice rinks and seen a spectacular choreographed Ice Show, or experienced free skating by passengers, recognizes the difference in the two.

Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway???!!!

This had to have been fixed. Quite stupid...

Don't compare to Norwegian Majesty or Dynasty or Crown. Oh well, what do I know?

Got to agree - the worst names I've heard EVER! NCL is really setting themselves up to take a beating on these names! LOL!

The press will have a field day with these names when the Breakaway breaks down. I hate to think what could happen on the Getaway. Just not a good name at all - reminds me of Bonnie and Clyde or that turkey of a film "Speed 2 - Cruise Control."

• 4 weeks later...

If i'm not mistaken i believe ncl had a contest on facebook for naming the 2 upcoming ships. Breakaway and Getaway were the 2 most popular responses. So are you calling the public stupid? Also Peter Max, America's most popular living artist,has been commissioned to paint the signature hull artwork for ncl breakaway. I am proud to have booked my cruise for the 12th may 2013 on the breakaway. And Reba McEntire also has booked this trip. In 2009 i cruised on Carnival Miracle,2010 ncl gem, and 2011 ncl gem.:)

If i'm not mistaken i believe ncl had a contest on facebook for naming the 2 upcoming ships. Breakaway and Getaway were the 2 most popular responses. So are you calling the public stupid? Also Peter Max, America's most popular living artist,has been commissioned to paint the signature hull artwork for ncl breakaway. I am proud to have booked my cruise for the 12th may 2013 on the breakaway. And Reba McEntire also has booked this trip. In 2009 i cruised on Carnival Miracle,2010 ncl gem, and 2011 ncl gem.:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic....:)

Where did you hear about Reba being booked on the 5/12/13 cruise?

We do have a roll call started here at CC for this sailing, come and join others waiting for this cruise...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1500644

Welcome to Cruise Critic... you'll get lots of opinions on this website. The names, at first, I wasn't too crazy about but now I'm liking them. I didn't come up with either of them but I can understand the expansion of names used should NCL exercise the options to build more Breakaway class ships (which they do have in their contract with Meyer Wreft). :)

I only saw that NCL that these two names were among five of the most popular, not the two most popular. NCL picked these names out of the five.

Maybe not stupid, but certainly not imaginative or creative. Whatever the most popular selections were, it was still up to NCL to choose the names and in the opinion of many, they fell down on the job. At least they shouldn't have to worry about any other line copying their names. Unlike Jewel,Splendor,Dream, and so many other ships' duplicative names, there are not likely to be more than one Breakaway and one Runaway.:)

Archived