Has anyone packed 7 days in a carryon?

Missiowa

Just wondering if anyone has packed for a 7 day cruise in a small 9"x19"x21" carryon? Our airline is charging $45 per bag and there are 4 of us. So we are going to try and pack each persons 7 days of clothes in a carryon. I am thinking my 2 teens can bring dress clothes and some day clothes in their bags, and also get by with carrying a backpack as their personal item, and include their swimsuits, a few outfits and shoes. My hubby is in a wheelchair so he will have to hold his carryon on his lap and one the the kids must pull my carryon as I wil be pushing my hubby. Anyone ever tried this? I am going to go with tanks and carpis, shorts, t shirts, sundresses and try to stay with neutral colors to mix and match.

yes. I do it every cruise. Don't pack just in case clothing. Lots of mix and match. I do one load per trip. For dinners I pack light weight cocktail dresses. Only three pairs of shoes. I pair of basic black pumps. flip flops and walking shoes.

I do 2 weeks in Europe with just a carryon. Easy to do.

Wear your bulkiest shoes, and clothes. I sometimes wash out things in the sink during the week, when I have gotten sun-screen on clothes, etc. Hang to dry in the closet, or iron them dry.

yes. I do it every cruise. Don't pack just in case clothing. Lots of mix and match. I do one load per trip. For dinners I pack light weight cocktail dresses. Only three pairs of shoes. I pair of basic black pumps. flip flops and walking shoes.

I second that.:D But I recommend taking two full size (one for you/DH and the other for the kids) and let kids pull them both imho. You will be thankful for the extra space on the way back home for all the goodies you will be bringing back!:p

sure .. dont forget you will be buying some cheap souveneir tee shirts that you will want to come home with, so dont overpack tee shirts.

Also, if you have something like heavy jeans, (I have some black jeans that are a little dressier than blue jeans), wear them on the plane.

I watched a video on-line about packing using the bundle method and tried it on a week-long trip to Hawaii, along with a backpack - we were using passes (standby) so we didn't want to check our luggage - and I was surprised on how much fit using this method. My sister, after buying stuff in Hawaii, tried to re-pack her carry-on and there was no way it would all fit, so she asked me to try the bundle method on her suitcase and it all fit with ease. I am going to try this method on our cruise in April of 2012.

You wanna talk about packing light .

A couple of months ago my DD was at Kennedy Airport for her job. While there she got a call on cell phone from her best friend she went all through school with and now lives in Florida (DD now lives in New Jersey)

She calls to tell her that her dad had passed away.

Without evening thinking about it she walks over to the airport check in desk, finds out what the next flight is and books it.

She called us that night to tell us what she did in case we tried to get a hold of her.

DD said " I was there in the airport my best frriend was on the phone crying, she needed me , I was almost done for the day, it was Friday , and I had a long weekend ahead of me...so why not?"

I said but you didn't have any luggae or clothes or anything.

She said she had her laptop, cellphone, and wallet full of plastic . What else did she need. Once she got down there she bought outfits and toiletries for the 3 or so days she was gonna be there. And she was staying at the friends house so lodgeing was no isssue .

Now that is the way to travel ......ahhhhhhhhh to be 26 again *LOL*

"Has anyone packed 7 days in a carryon?"

Every cruise and vacation. I use a carry-on sized convertable back pack and a small day pack for all my travels. Two days or a month does not matter.

First time we went on a cruise we took 5 suitcases :eek: (granted we were getting married). Our last cruise in February I did a 7 day cruise and 4 days in Orlando with just a carry-on. Now when I buy cruise clothes, it is a MUST that they will roll up small to fit in my bag.

We also do one carry on a piece. Mix and match is the answer. 3 pairs of shoes as noted above. My makeup and perfume all fit in one one quart bag (I don't wear a ton of makeup). If we are flying, to prevent having to check a bag, we simply get shampoo or whatever, in a Wal-Mart or drug store at the port city (another reason to fly in day ahead--you have time for that). We buy the cheap stuff (Suave, etc) and leave the remainder with the room steward/ess. One week without my more expensive shampoos and etc doesn't hurt my hair at all.

Like others, we have even done 8 days in Europe in the winter with a carry on. Mix and match and not being afraid to wear the same pair of pants more than once in a week without (gasp) washing them, goes a long way in cutting down wasteful packing :)

I haven't..but I am trying to decide if my fiance and I can check 1 bag between us.

But last cruise we didn't have to fly but I didn't want a ton of extra stuff. I did have just in case clothing..but since I found out on here that it is very affordable to have them wash your clothing..we will be doing that halfway through. And last time I took 3 nice dresses..but they all went with black shoes..I have a cute pair of healed sandals that I will take again. HHMM..I wonder if we can do this..at least keeping it to one.

We do it all the time. Don't be afraid to wear things twice and limit yourselves to 2 pairs of shoes (wear one, pack one) and a pair of flip-flops or sandals per person.

Ditto. I did it. And I still had a couple of tops and a dress I didn't even wear. I wore a lot of things twice - my linen pants to dinner (2 nights), a dress even got work 2 nights, and invest in swimsuit coverups! That will really cut down on the shirts/shorts you will need. Just throw a cover up on over your swimsuit. You can do laundry (or take advantage of the $15 wash and fold bag, which is still cheaper than checking luggage). Pack stuff that won't wrinkle. Roll your clothes or do the ziploc bag method.

Make your personal item a backpack and buy a cotton purse that can be folded up and shoved into a small pocket. That way, you still have a purse, if you want one.

Purchase sunscreen and other major toiletry items at a wal-mart/target/walgreens on the way to the port - most cabs will stop if you ask. Decide what toiletry items are necessary (remember body wash and shampoo are provided) and make a list.

It's definitely do-able!

First time we went on a cruise we took 5 suitcases :eek: (granted we were getting married). Our last cruise in February I did a 7 day cruise and 4 days in Orlando with just a carry-on. Now when I buy cruise clothes, it is a MUST that they will roll up small to fit in my bag.

I smiled when I read that. I remember the days of "what-if" packing. Glad I don't have to do that any more, lol!!! Funny that it doesn't take long to realize that cruising requires very LITTLE clothing and I have to laugh at myself for the "what was I thinking" crap I used to pack :D

My DH and I always gets to the ports early (like before the boat is disembarking) and I will sit there and watch everyone getting off and stare in amazement how the women will just have one bag on a 7 day and that is it. I do good just to have two bags (1 check in and 1 carry on) even then they are loaded to the brim...maybe one day I will learn :rolleyes:

My DH and I always gets to the ports early (like before the boat is disembarking) and I will sit there and watch everyone getting off and stare in amazement how the women will just have one bag on a 7 day and that is it. I do good just to have two bags (1 check in and 1 carry on) even then they are loaded to the brim...maybe one day I will learn :rolleyes:

Probably when 2 things happen...you get sick of having to carry the luggage around and two, you turn 40 ;)

Still laughing at the idea of two teenagers with just a carry on. My DD is mad at me because I'll only pay to check one bag for her. She said her carry on is going to be filled with shoes. I think she is going to need a bigger cabin.

Archived