Has anyone packed 7 days in a carryon?

Missiowa

My teens... my boy will wear tshirts and swimtrunks or shorts most of the time, dress clothes are going to be cacky shorts or pants with nice shirt. My daughter will have a hundred hollister/ambercrombie tees and shorty shorts. She is a size 0 or 1, her clothes dont take up much room. My hubby is not bringing a suit this time and I'm not bringing a evening gown. I think we can still be casual and still look dressed up. I don't want to hear your comments either about dress code in the MDR. You see everything people!

My DH and I always gets to the ports early (like before the boat is disembarking) and I will sit there and watch everyone getting off and stare in amazement how the women will just have one bag on a 7 day and that is it. I do good just to have two bags (1 check in and 1 carry on) even then they are loaded to the brim...maybe one day I will learn :rolleyes:

Probably when 2 things happen...you get sick of having to carry the luggage around and two, you turn 40 ;)

I don't know, I'm a bit over 40 & I don't think I could ever do it. Then again, I don't wear anything twice not even pajamas. If I try, I feel dirty. We have a 16 night trip next year that we have to fly to. I'm planning on cutting down on luggage & taking advantage of the ship's laundry service. If it meant I had to wear things twice, there's no way I could do it. I wish I was one of those people who could. :o

I have traveled with a carry on but it was 24x16x10, I would check to see what is the largest carry on you can take on your airline.

With 4 of you going I think I would check one bag, that way you can have all your toiletries and have room to bring things back if you want.

Nope.......and don't intend to...

LOL!! That's my feeling as well....I just can't imagine.

There was a time I had one suitcase dedicated just to my shoes...but I have cut back a little. :p

LOL I can't even imagine my bestest buddy packing a 7 day cruise in a carry on. Our trip on the Conquest she had 10...yes TEN...bags for just the two of them. No I don't have a clue what he had in all those bags other than her 11-15 pairs of shoes...(you think I'm kidding...ask her hubby)...She had the ability to change more than "Barbie". Alas they weren't ALL her bags...ONE was her husbands. LOL LOL...Next time we're probably just going to back up a trailer.:D

Yep! "Carry On Only", in our family.

The first thing you need to do is accept that you don't need "everything" you have at home on a 7 day vacation.

The second is that unless your vacationing in North Korea you can buy anything you might need locally.

:D

Yes it is for our airline. $45 per bag times 4 bags is $180. I just think thats rediculous! If we can cram everything in a carryon, its FREE!

What airline is that?? I thought only Spirit charged an arm and a leg for luggage! LOL!

It can be done, but if you really need to, keep in mind you can all pack into a communal checked bag! Yes, $45 buys several DODs, but if it is an option

What airline charges $45 for the first bag?

For people who are used to cruising or other forms of "unpack once" vacations, it seems alien to travel lightly. On the other hand, if you tend to move around a lot on you travels, you learn REALLY quickly how to do it. Lugging around massive bags is just a PITA all the way around.

My wife actually packs lighter than I do. We pack a similar number of items, but my clothes are bulkier and actually take up more space. I for one am very happy that I married a low-maintenance woman!

Yes in a carry on and in a backpack. Chicos makes a travellers line of nice wrinkle free dresses and casual clothes. They are dressy yet in a light fabric. I take 2 traveller skirts and 2-3 tops for dinners, a black dress for elegant night, a swimsuit, 5 pairs shorts, and 6 tops all in light fabrics, and a pair of dressy sandals. I wear comfortable sandals or shoes that I will wear all week for casual wear. I've used travel bags that you pack and roll, they compact your clothes so they take less room in your suitcase. I pack sample size conditioner, toothpaste, cosmetics.

Well, we started cruising with two large checked bags and two carryons and a purse for a 7-8 day cruise. We are now down to one large checked bag (we roll all our clothes) and one carryon and a travel purse (for our Kindles). This cruise coming up in November I will be Platinum (free laundry). I'm hoping to cut down even more.:):):)

We always take only a carry on piece of luggage one for each of us and a small tote bag. Im not sure of the size luggage but its large enough for all my clothes for the week and still be able to put it in the overhead so maybe not sure of the size....

My daughter is 19 does the same...we take what we need, of course always come home with few items never worn. Its just a matter of knowing how to pack, plus I always take a lightweight thin tote bag/duffle bag in case I buy anything if I need more room. I also can use that diffle bag to take with me on shore excursions and carry our towels in for the beach.

The way I see it if I need anything washed the cruise line surely gets things cleaned in a day or two the most. :)

Just wondering if anyone has packed for a 7 day cruise in a small 9"x19"x21" carryon? Our airline is charging $45 per bag and there are 4 of us. So we are going to try and pack each persons 7 days of clothes in a carryon. I am thinking my 2 teens can bring dress clothes and some day clothes in their bags, and also get by with carrying a backpack as their personal item, and include their swimsuits, a few outfits and shoes. My hubby is in a wheelchair so he will have to hold his carryon on his lap and one the the kids must pull my carryon as I wil be pushing my hubby. Anyone ever tried this? I am going to go with tanks and carpis, shorts, t shirts, sundresses and try to stay with neutral colors to mix and match.

It's easy. Just take lots of mix/match items. Limit each person to two pairs of shoes. Pack as few toiletries as possible and only the smallest size(s).

Lay everything out. Pack and repack until it fits, leaving out the items you don't HAVE to take. :)

You very definitely can!

I've packed for 7 to 9 days in a 21" rollaboard and carry on tote to France, Spain, Croatia, the Caymans and other places with no problem. You just have to make sure that what you pack is what you will wear - as another poster stated, no 'just in case' clothes.....

Ugh. I could never imagine fitting all that I need for 7 days into a carry on bag! It couldddd be possible if I did laundry on board, but then again, who wants to do laundry when your on vacation?!? :eek:

You can do it if you are not one of those people who cannot wear something twice without washing it. I take 3 pairs of shorts and 4 shirts, all that mix and match, which gives me dozens of options with each. Of course, that means I need to wear something twice or 3 times, but not being a germaphobe helps in that regard.

Just wondering if anyone has packed for a 7 day cruise in a small 9"x19"x21" carryon? Our airline is charging $45 per bag and there are 4 of us. So we are going to try and pack each persons 7 days of clothes in a carryon. I am thinking my 2 teens can bring dress clothes and some day clothes in their bags, and also get by with carrying a backpack as their personal item, and include their swimsuits, a few outfits and shoes. My hubby is in a wheelchair so he will have to hold his carryon on his lap and one the the kids must pull my carryon as I wil be pushing my hubby. Anyone ever tried this? I am going to go with tanks and carpis, shorts, t shirts, sundresses and try to stay with neutral colors to mix and match.

I don't think my wife can do it.

I did it for 10 days - two days pre-cruise and an 8 day cruise.

Had one medium to large sized back pack - the airlines call them laptop backpacks and a carry-on. All clothes and shoes go into the carry on and make up, shampoo, hair stuff, etc go in the backpack.

It's two of us (in our mid-30's) and we can pack all our clothes into one medium suitcase (for a 7 night trip), then check it (Southwest allows 2 free bags, per person, but we still only check one) and then we each have a backpack (backpacks only have laptops and other electronics, plus prescription meds). We just think it's easier to pack one checked bag than two carry-ons, but we *could* fit it into the two carry-ons if we wanted.

Here is a short list of what I'm bringing, not counting what I wear on the plane (jeans, polo shirt, dress shoes):

1 Jacket (and tie)

1 pair slacks

2 pairs cargo shorts

2 pairs swim trunks

2 pairs dress socks (rolled into sneakers)

4 pairs cotton socks (rolled into sneakers)

4 t-shirts

3 polo shirts

8 pair underwear

1 pair sneakers

1 pair flip flops

I will wear polo shirts/jeans to dinners, along with my dress shoes. The sneakers are for ports where I'm not going to the beach. Cargo shorts are for when I'm not at pool or at ports where I don't go to the beach. Most of the days, tho, I'll be wearing my swim trunks, t-shirts, and flip flops. I carry enough socks so that I don't have to repeat them, then I fly home wearing flip flops. When I travel alone, it all fits in a carry-on.

Do you really think you *need* more clothes than that?

Archived