New HAL smoking policy

Gunther1

[quote name='scm1848']Italy has banned indoor smoking since at least 2006. As a smoker smoking outside in patio areas where smoking was legal, I couldn't believe the number of people griping about having to walk through the smoking area to get to their immaculately clean, smoke-free indoor area. Some people are NEVER happy.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Yea, that would probably be me. But you've go to admit it was pretty bad before the change. [/FONT]

and see what I missed!

I'm a smoker and consider myself a considerate one. This new policy has me in a bit of a quandary. At home, I go outside to smoke, though that's a matter of just a few feet, not traipsing all the way to the aft deck or Crow's Nest. I do smoke in the cabin, but only infrequently. And I do love to have a smoke with my first cup of coffee in my cabin in the morning. For me, it's part of the ritual of cruising.

Guess I'll get to start comparing the costs of cruising on a Crystal OV cabin versus cruising on a HAL Veranda cabin. I love Crystal, just haven't been able to justify the added expense until now! They usually have much cheaper single supplements, so I'm almost there already. Or, I could start looking at Costa, though that's a bit of a step backwards.

I've always enjoyed HAL's small ships. It's a bit of a disappointment to me, especially since the majority of responses to questions from newbies about the smell of smoke in the cabins has been that there is none, with a few exceptions.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] ... I also think it possible that composing the roughly 20% of guests who smoke, perhaps some of the more senior people who sail HAL are a large proportion of those who smoke. There seem to be more older smokers than young. ... But, what do I know? :confused:[/B][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]I think you hit the nail right on the head, Sail. Older folks who smoke, I'd guess, mostly started smoking many years ago - when it was "cool" and no one knew (or, more accurately, no one told us) it was bad for our health. When DH was in college, they actually had ashtrays built into the classroom desktops. From what I see, today's younger people are more apt to have never smoked, and those are the people who seem to fit the Princess demographic.

I don't think smoking will truly be a thing of the past until my entire generation has died off. Well ... there will still be some, but with the cost of cigarettes they won't be able to afford a cruise.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Charles4515']Carnival has pretty much allowed the lines they own to be seperate brands with their own management teams. HAL tends to be the most staid and slow to change of their lines. Quite noticable in some areas. In the HAL cruises I took the last year HAL entertainment is a generation behind their current passenger demographic.

I think not allowing smoking in the cabins will help a great deal on both HAL and Carnival. The inside smoke causes the most problems because it goes thru the ventilation systems. On my last Carnival cruise on a very smokey Carnival ship I was messed for a couple of weeks. Not so bad on HAL as because it is upscale there are less smokers. [B][U][SIZE=4]People with more[/SIZE][/U][/B] [B][U][SIZE=4]education are less likely to smoke.[/SIZE][/U][/B]

So far as far as balconies it has not been so bad that I would not book them. Good luck so far. If it becomes a problem I won't book balcanies on HAL[/quote]

:):):)
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='GmaPajama'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]I think you hit the nail right on the head, Sail. Older folks who smoke, I'd guess, mostly started smoking many years ago - when it was "cool" and no one knew (or, more accurately, no one told us) it was bad for our health. When DH was in college, they actually had ashtrays built into the classroom desktops. From what I see, today's younger people are more apt to have never smoked, and those are the people who seem to fit the Princess demographic.

[COLOR=Red]I don't think smoking will truly be a thing of the past until my entire generation has died off[/COLOR]. Well ... there will still be some, but with the cost of cigarettes they won't be able to afford a cruise.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

I'm not so sure that's true. I just spent 3 weeks in the UK, and have never seen so many young girls smoking. It really is a shame.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I'm a former smoker, haven't smoked for a dozen or so years, and must admit that the smell of smoke actually makes me sick now. Having said that, neither our daughters nor my husband have ever smoked (not entirely true...he and his friend went out behind the barn and smoked a carton of cigarettes when they were kids, and that did it for DH!!!). In "our day," it was the thing to do...when I was a teenager, no one knew the dangers of smoking. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]From what I see at the inn, it's the more upscale and educated folks who do not smoke...[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]We had a work crew staying in some of our rooms early this season, and they all smoked. I was constantly having to chase them off the front steps or the garden patio! [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Speaking of smoking, the engineer who inspects our fire escapes every five years was formerly a "Marlboro Man" (one of my investment club ladies happened to mention that at our June meeting!). [/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] I also think it possible that composing the roughly 20% of guests who smoke, perhaps some of the more senior people who sail HAL are a large proportion of those who smoke. There seem to be more older smokers than young. [/QUOTE]

Every article and poll I have seen indicates that seniors are less likely to smoke than those of younger ages...I am in my eighties and almost all of my freinds who are still here do not smoke...When I pass by the local high school I am amazed by all the smokers at dismissal time.(Just a observation not intended to be fact.)

[quote name='Opinions']Every article and poll I have seen indicates that seniors are less likely to smoke than those of younger ages...I am in my eighties and almost all of my freinds who are still here do not smoke...When I pass by the local high school I am amazed by all the smokers at dismissal time.(Just a observation not intended to be fact.)[/QUOTE]

That is when they have to hook them, in high school or the first couple of years of college. People don't usually start smoking after that.

As far as your age group, eighties, I think smokers are less likely to make it to their eighties. My father who was a smoker and did get lung cancer, did not make it to eighty. Most of the people I know who died young were smokers. My mother who never smoked on the other hand just turned ninety.

[quote name='Charles4515']People with more education are less likely to smoke.

[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Statistically I don't know if that's true or not but it sure seems that way. There's not a day that goes by that if I'm on the road & smell smoke coming from a vehicle in front of me it's most likely a delivery or service truck rather than a car.[/FONT]

The poorest and least educated Americans are far, far more likely to smoke:

[URL="http://www.gallup.com/poll/105550/among-americans-smoking-decreases-income-increases.aspx"]Likelihood of smoking by income[/URL] [I]---Gallup, 2011[/I]

[URL="http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5935a3.htm#tab"]Likelihood of smoking by age, education, race or ethnic heritage, poverty status and region[/URL] [I]---Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), 2009
[/I]
Someone else might know of a study that shows what happens when the smoking rate is controlled for both income and age. The smoking rate for those with sufficient disposable to income to afford a cruise is well below the reported rate for virtually all age groups.

Thought this passage from Gallup was interesting:

[quote]Interestingly, smoking rates in the United States are similar to those around the world. Across 118 different countries Gallup surveyed in 2006 and 2007, a median percentage of 22% said they smoked the day before the survey. At the high end, 50% of people in Turkey said they smoked. At the low end, 6% in Nigeria said the same. Interestingly, the relationship between income and smoking among Americans does not appear to repeat itself at the country level. [URL="http://www.gallup.com/poll/28432/Smoking-Rates-Around-World-How-Americans-Compare.aspx"]Gallup researchers previously found no consistent relationship[/URL] between the prevalence of smoking in a country and its location or its residents' relative wealth.[/quote]

[quote name='1 HappyCruiser'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Statistically I don't know if that's true or not but it sure seems that way. There's not a day that goes by that if I'm on the road & smell smoke coming from a vehicle in front of me it's most likely a delivery or service truck rather than a car.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

So you're saying truck drivers are less educated! How stupid!

[quote name='Woe is me']So you're saying truck drivers are less educated! How stupid![/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I was making a comment based on the fact that most smokers I find in front of me smoking every day are trade people - not necessarily truck drivers, although they mostly do drive trucks in that profession. If the shoe fits...;)[/FONT]

[quote name='1 HappyCruiser'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I was making a comment based on the fact that most smokers I find in front of me smoking every day are trade people - not necessarily truck drivers, although they mostly do drive trucks in that profession. If the shoe fits...;)[/FONT][/QUOTE]

So now it's trade people that are uneducated!:confused:I know where I would like to put that shoe:rolleyes:

[quote name='Woe is me']So now it's trade people that are uneducated!:confused:I know where I would like to put that shoe:rolleyes:[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]On any day where I live guess who mostly drive trucks? It isn't the soccer moms, engineers on the way to work or doctors. Take note of how many guys who drive trucks have a cigarette in their hands. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Most have the intelligence to be successful at a trade but lack common sense to quit knowing the risks. [/FONT]

[quote name='Woe is me']So now it's trade people that are uneducated!:confused:I know where I would like to put that shoe:rolleyes:[/quote]

I would never say trade people are uneducated, but there aren't too many Ph.D.'s in the trades, are there? Here are [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educational_attainment_in_the_United_States#Occupation"]some stats[/URL] that either of you disagreeing at the moment may find useful.

BTW, here is the 2000 CDC report about [URL="http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2003-111/pdfs/2003-111q.pdf"]smoking rates among members of various occupations[/URL].

[quote name='1 HappyCruiser'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]On any day where I live guess who mostly drive trucks? It isn't the soccer moms, engineers on the way to work or doctors. Take note of how many guys who drive trucks have a cigarette in their hands. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Most have the intelligence to be successful at a trade but lack common sense to quit knowing the risks. [/FONT][/QUOTE]

Yes common sense certainly seems to be lacking here!:rolleyes:

So if older passengers smoke, how did they reach that ripe old age? Guess that puts some of the "scientific data" in doubt?

I'm not in a trade and I smoke and I make a pretty good buck. Those surveys are really questionable at best.

[quote name='mariner']So if older passengers smoke, how did they reach that ripe old age? Guess that puts some of the "scientific data" in doubt?

I'm not in a trade and I smoke and I make a pretty good buck. Those surveys are really questionable at best.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mariner, for some common, unscientific sense.;)

Like any of the so-called smoking data is based on science. The American Cancer Society has been living off this stuff for years. Face it, smoking isn't healthy. Im not sure its as deadly (i.e. drapes) as some make it out.

[quote name='mariner']So if older passengers smoke, how did they reach that ripe old age? Guess that puts some of the "scientific data" in doubt?

I'm not in a trade and I smoke and I make a pretty good buck. Those surveys are really questionable at best.[/QUOTE]

What? You are kidding....just pulling the chain of those happy the Cruise Lines have joined the latter half of the 20th Century, right?

This is kind of like saying, boy the life expectancy of 78 is all hogwash - look at all those people on cruise who are 80+.

You are funnnnnnny!

Den

Archived