New HAL smoking policy

Gunther1

The point I highlighted above is not just for me for the many others that can suffer severe life threatening allergies perfumes and other scents that those who use scented items are endangering the life of, I post these comments regarding scents in the hopes that some of you will take their thought and health into consideration before you bathe in your colognes, perfumes and aftershaves.

Many others suffer this same allergy scents and it can be life threatening to them as well thru. My hopes are that you and others will remember the others with the same conditions and that you will be more considerate of them I realize this is unlikely but I can try to continue to educate thode that do not understand just how this can be to them also> I do not care about mysdelf, buto ithers with their lives in danger with many more years to live should not have to suffer from either of us stinking up and screwing up their health!

Forgive my typos, but meds have kicked in and typing is difficult tonight:(

Joanie

How very noble of you. However, you might have more success in trying to "educate others" if you did not continually detract smoking topics to your perfume allergy. And it is hard to take it seriously when someone with a "life-threatening" allergy to perfume smells, also informs everyone they have COPD and asthma to the point of having to use oxygen, and yet continues to smoke. Give it a rest Joanie.

If you discussed the perfume allergy and its affects with no reference to the smoking issue, people might pay more attention.

Direct from the Declaration of Independence:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

For smokers their pursuit of Happiness is the ability to light up where they can.

And for non-smokers their pursuit of Happiness is not having to inhale smoker's happiness. ;)

Now, I accept all of you who have controlled my smoking. Now, please, may I control your weight? I'm sure my tobacco has been offensive, but my goodness! Can't we have an elevator for more than three?

How does someone else's obesity affect your health?

We are honest people. We obey the laws of the country we are in. We follow the rules and conventions of the cruise ship we are on. We always obey the dress code!!

One of us smokes and one of us doesn't (mostly). No smoking in the cabin ever for us.

There will be smoking on our verandah during our January cruise. Huffing and puffing and slamming of verandah doors has no effect on us:rolleyes:. Happy cruising....

I'd rather have the smoking be done inside the cabins and not on the balcony. The smoke from the balcony carries to nearby balconies and often carries to above balconies as well whereas the smoke inside the cabins isn't as intrusive to others during the cruise. And afterwards the cabin can be deep cleaned for the next passengers.

Except smoking in the cabin costs the cruise line money - both in lost productivity caused by the extra time that is required to deep clean, but in damage to furniture from cigarette burns and having to replace carpets, mattresses and bedding due to smoke/cigarette related damage.

No smoking in cabins will allow the stewards to able to clean each room faster. This will be a big plus on turnaround day. Plus they won't need to replace bedding, mattresses, etc. as often.

We are honest people. We obey the laws of the country we are in. We follow the rules and conventions of the cruise ship we are on. We always obey the dress code!!

One of us smokes and one of us doesn't (mostly). No smoking in the cabin ever for us.

There will be smoking on our verandah during our January cruise. Huffing and puffing and slamming of verandah doors has no effect on us:rolleyes:. Happy cruising....

Would someone politely and calmly asking you to work with them to try and provide for both of you to enjoy your cruise have an effect on you?

Would you attempt to make it possible for your neighbor to enjoy their veranda at least some of the cruise or would you not consider their comfort and enjoyment?

Would someone politely and calmly asking you to work with them to try and provide for both of you to enjoy your cruise have an effect on you?

Would you attempt to make it possible for your neighbor to enjoy their veranda at least some of the cruise or would you not consider their comfort and enjoyment?

I don't blame smokers at all for doing what they are allowed to do on their balconies. I won't ask them stop. It is the cruise line that has created the problem. They should have banned smoking on the Verandahs at the same time they banned it in the cabins. I will make my complaints to the cruise line about their policy.

If the the smoking on balconies generates complaints then that will hasten the day HAL bans smoking on balconies. So besides being considerate, and I know many smokers are considerate, when smoking was much more allowed many would ask me if I minded if they lit up, it is in smokers own interest to be moderate and not to cause complaints about smoke on balconies.

Look around this thread and others here. All kinds of people who detested the previous policy and don't think the current policy goes far enough. Yet, virtually all of them continued to sail the same line, and will probably continue to do so. IMO, there's no reason to believe that the passenger make-up will be significantly different come January 15. YMMV.

FWIW, I'm one of the people who *has* changed lines. Since Celebrity changed their policy a few years back, I've quit cruising on HAL -- now it's only Celebrity and Azamara for me. Which is really a pity, because HAL's itineraries are better (especially in Alaska, where HAL goes to Glacier Bay). But I very much enjoy my balcony, and have had bad experiences with smokers adjacent to me. So now I only drop in to this forum occasionally to see whether there's been a change in smoking policy. I got my hopes up when I saw this thread, but am disappointed that balcony smoking is still permitted. Guess I'll check back in another year or two...

Doug

It's so nice of you to dress properly but that alone doesn't affect the people around you if they don't care to look at you.

I hope the people nearby can put up with it.

This current change in their smoking rules will only hasten the inevitable solution to stop the balcony smoking once & for all.

Enjoy it while you can.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Would someone politely and calmly asking you to work with them to try and provide for both of you to enjoy your cruise have an effect on you?[/B]

[B]Would you attempt to make it possible for your neighbor to enjoy their veranda at least some of the cruise or would you not consider their comfort and enjoyment? [/B][/QUOTE]

I wish this was a working compromise for everyone. Unfortunately, it isn't.

We did this on our last HAL cruise... only asked (politely..not huffing and puffing) if they would mind working with us for the day we were at Glacier Bay. Received a flat refusal. They planned to use the veranda for most of the day and would be smoking. Since that cruise, we booked a "Window Suite" (cabin with full suite perks, no balcony) on Princess. It was very enjoyable. Just can't justify paying for a balcony that cannot be used.

BTW... my DH is a light smoker. Would never consider smoking in the cabin or on the veranda. He takes a break in the smoking area. It doesn't bother me or our neighbors and he meets some nice people. Works fine for everyone.

Will we ever cruise on HAL again? Yes. If the itinerary and price are right and it is the choice of our traveling companions, if any. Will it be our first choice? No, not until the smoking policy changes. Until then, we'll consider lines with more restrictive polices first. And no, I do not think HAL cares at all...

[B]B[/B]

[quote name='bellebaby']I wish this was a working compromise for everyone. Unfortunately, it isn't.

We did this on our last HAL cruise... only asked (politely..not huffing and puffing) if they would mind working with us for the day we were at Glacier Bay. Received a flat refusal. They planned to use the veranda for most of the day and would be smoking. Since that cruise, we booked a "Window Suite" (cabin with full suite perks, no balcony) on Princess. It was very enjoyable. Just can't justify paying for a balcony that cannot be used.

BTW... my DH is a light smoker. Would never consider smoking in the cabin or on the veranda. He takes a break in the smoking area. It doesn't bother me or our neighbors and he meets some nice people. Works fine for everyone.

Will we ever cruise on HAL again? Yes. If the itinerary and price are right and it is the choice of our traveling companions, if any. Will it be our first choice? No, not until the smoking policy changes. Until then, we'll consider lines with more restrictive polices first. And no, I do not think HAL cares at all...

[B]B[/B][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]All things considered I'll bet you'd book a balcony on Princess before HAL. ;)
[/FONT]

[quote name='1 HappyCruiser'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]All things considered I'll bet you'd book a balcony on Princess before HAL. ;)
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Our next cruise is on a French line.. expedition type cruise to Antarctica. No smoking in the cabin or on the veranda. At least that's what I'm told. If someone smokes, so be it. We'll be too busy to care.

The following booking is on Princess in a Window Suite. It was booked before the smoking policy changed. A slightly larger suite with a balcony is $1,110 pp more... haven't decided if it's worth the extra $$$ to upgrade. But, I am glad we now have that option! :D

We actually like the HAL product more than Princess or Celebrity. It's a shame, for us, that our enjoyment is impacted by this issue. We all make our choices ... there's something for everyone.

[B]B[/B]

[quote name='bellebaby']Our next cruise is on a French line.. expedition type cruise to Antarctica. No smoking in the cabin or on the veranda. At least that's what I'm told. If someone smokes, so be it. We'll be too busy to care.

[B]B[/B][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I'm surprised that on a French cruise line there would be no smoking[/FONT].

[quote name='1 HappyCruiser'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I'm surprised that on a French cruise line there would be no smoking[/FONT].[/QUOTE]

Things are changing in Europe. A lot of smoking restrictions the last few years. I am going to Ireland next year and checked the current laws. No smoking in public places and that includes pubs.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Having sailed on Princess, I just checked their website. WHY would Carnival change the smoking policies for their cruiselines January 15, and have each one different? Figuring those who do not smoke will switch from HAL to Princess. And vice versa? HAL has the reputation of being more upscale than Princess...so it seems to me it should have been the other way around. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I'm not happy about this change. I'd love to book a verandah again, but until they no longer allow smoking there, I'm not doing it. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]We've never allowed smoking at our inn (this is our 18th season) and no longer allow it on our garden patio, either. Or on the front steps for that matter. [/SIZE][/FONT]

The thing that is surprising me the most about this thread is the fact that so many people have made up their minds already about how it will impact cruising in a Veranda.

These new regulations and bans will not take affect until January 2012. That is a while away, and it is always possible there may be changes in the regulations.

All smokers may not flock to booking verandas. Those that purchase insides or OV's may not want to pay the extra to upgrade to a veranda.

I may be an optimist, but I am not going to curse HAL for not stepping up to the plate and banning smoking on the balconies. Yes there will be some people who are rude and insensitive about how it may affect others, but those are the same people who butt into line in the Lido and shut the elevator doors in the face of an elderly man in a wheelchair, or who use a scooter and run over people who are in the way. These are the same people who feel they are "entitled" to stay in their cabins when the rest of the ship goes through customs or who feel they don't have to take care of their shipboard account until they have been paged 15 times.

Unfortunately, the world has become so "me and my rights" oriented that common curtosey (sp) has been forgotten. Not everyone will be happy with every decision made, but at least a decision has been made.

I will not change my habits and stop booking verandas. It is the best way for my DH and myself to cruise and we wont allow anyone else to force us to compromise that.

Just my opinion for what it is worth

[quote name='innlady1'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3] WHY would Carnival change the smoking policies for their cruiselines January 15, and have each one different? Figuring those who do not smoke will switch from HAL to Princess. And vice versa? HAL has the reputation of being more upscale than Princess...so it seems to me it should have been the other way around.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I was all so thing why each line got different rules. My thoughts are that HAL has on the whole smaller ships than Princess. Less trouble to fill the ship with people who smoke (appox.) 20% of US population. Princess larger ships then could be filled with the 80% on the non-smoking population. Of course both lines will still carry smokers and non smokers.

[quote name='innlady1']Having sailed on Princess, I just checked their website. WHY would Carnival change the smoking policies for their cruiselines January 15, and have each one different? Figuring those who do not smoke will switch from HAL to Princess. And vice versa? HAL has the reputation of being more upscale than Princess...so it seems to me it should have been the other way around. [/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Carnival has pretty much allowed the lines they own to be seperate brands with their own management teams. HAL tends to be the most staid and slow to change of their lines. Quite noticable in some areas. In the HAL cruises I took the last year HAL entertainment is a generation behind their current passenger demographic.

I think not allowing smoking in the cabins will help a great deal on both HAL and Carnival. The inside smoke causes the most problems because it goes thru the ventilation systems. On my last Carnival cruise on a very smokey Carnival ship I was messed for a couple of weeks. Not so bad on HAL as because it is upscale there are less smokers. People with more education are less likely to smoke.

So far as far as balconies it has not been so bad that I would not book them. Good luck so far. If it becomes a problem I won't book balcanies on HAL

[B]I think HAL got stuck with veranda smokers POSSIBLY because there are more families cruising Princess and most parents do not want their young children exposed to second hand smoke. While we see more and more families cruising as a group on HAL, it is still a work in progress. IMO

I also think it possible that composing the roughly 20% of guests who smoke, perhaps some of the more senior people who sail HAL are a large proportion of those who smoke. There seem to be more older smokers than young. Hopefully the younger people have more sense and never started while the older ones figure it doesn't matter as much to them if they continue to smoke. They may have lost the will to even attempt to quit or have failed a number of times and have truly quit trying. Maybe they think if the cigarettes don't get them something else will at their advancing age.

But, what do I know? :confused:[/B]

[quote name='1 HappyCruiser'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I'm surprised that on a French cruise line there would be no smoking[/FONT].[/QUOTE]

From the cruiseline's (Compagnie du Ponant) brochure...

[I][B]All our vessels are no-smoking with the exception of designated areas on outside decks[/B][/I]

Hmmm.. It appears this French cruiseline is more progressive than HAL...

[B]B[/B]

[quote name='innlady1'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Having sailed on Princess, I just checked their website. WHY would Carnival change the smoking policies for their cruiselines January 15, and have each one different? Figuring those who do not smoke will switch from HAL to Princess. And vice versa? HAL has the reputation of being more upscale than Princess...so it seems to me it should have been the other way around. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]It could be they though that the smokers were more upscale than on Princess?[/FONT]

[quote name='taxmantoo']You need to get out more ;)[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]The last time we were to Italy a few years ago we found it next to impossible to eat in ANY restaurant without being bombarded with smoke from all sides during our meal. There was no non smoking section even designated in any restaurant we went to. The smoke on the main street in Rome in front of our hotel was so bad we even changed room overlooking an alley to get away from it. Maybe things have changed (but I doubt it) and don't plan on returning any time soon. [/FONT]

Italy has banned indoor smoking since at least 2006. As a smoker smoking outside in patio areas where smoking was legal, I couldn't believe the number of people griping about having to walk through the smoking area to get to their immaculately clean, smoke-free indoor area. Some people are NEVER happy.

Archived