What to do with a few extra hours in Miami

jazzinj

Hi there,

We're taking a cruise in March, and we'll be arriving at the Miami airport at 8am - any suggestions on what we can do for a few hours before embarkation? Family of 4 (2 adults, 2 school age kids), and a bunch of luggage. I was thinking of maybe hiring a car service to tour us around Miami (we've never been there before), since we have all our luggage with us, and maybe having breakfast somewhere? Is there a car service that would do that?

Thanks,

J

Id eat in the airport. I found Miami airport to be a LOT of walking, more than other airports, just to get out where you can catch a taxi. I had to walk to the next section to catch a taxi even. You will have to pick up luggage probably.

I dont think you have enough time to go anywhere. I get to the port around 11 am. If you plane is on time, if your luggage is the first one out the shoot etc.. find a place to eat and then catch a taxi to the port.

Personally, to be honest, Id be worried flying in the day of the cruise and stressed enough.

I would catch a cab and go to the port first...let the luggage there so it can be brought on board...

Then i would walk to the Bayside market Place this is one of the stops of the sightseeing tour of the miami tour company.

This tour is for those interested in seeing the most of Miami for the shortest tour in the city.

Tours depart daily from Miami Beach at 10:00 AM.

Free hotel pick-up, with advanced reservations.

Duration: 4h

Adult Price..... $49

Child Price...... $39

after the tour the can bring you to the port and you can go on the ship...

Remember that you could be late in arriving. My recommendation would have been to have flown in the day before your cruise.

If this was me, I would recommend having breakfast at the airport, walking around for a little while and then heading to the port. You should be able to drop off your luggage at the Port Of Miami at around 10:30 AM.

Keith

I would also highly recommend flying into Miami the day before. If there is any kind of weather delay you might miss your ship. This topic is discussed on Cruise Critic frequently. Save yourself the stress and arrive a day early, then you can tour around Miami leisurely.

Jonathan

If your plane lands at 8am, you probably won't even be OFF the plane for 20 mins. or so! Then, there's luggage to be gotten....grab a quick bite and head to the taxi stand....by the time you get to port, it should be nearly time to start boarding!

Great advice, thanks - yeah, I know we're cutting it close, originally I was looking at a flight that arrived at 11:30am but then I would be really stressed out!

I'll see if I can find a flight that arrives the day before, but we're actually flying overnight to get there, not too many options...

If we have no choice, we'll definitely follow the advice of grabbing a bite in the airport and heading straight to port!

If we can arrive the day before - any suggestions on hotels nearby where we can stay?

Thanks!

J

If your plane arrives at 8 just take your time getting out of the AP. breakfast at the AP is probably going to be the easiest option.

You can take a cab to the port & get rid of your luggage but you still have to keep your carry-ons. You can take a taxi to Bayside but I would not walk across that loooooong bridge with very narrow, single file sidewalks & a steep incline with school children; it's just too dangerous. What if one of them slipped & fell in to the roadway with cars going by at 55 mph?

On our first cruise, which was out of Miami we took the early flight and arrived at 9AM (4 of us). I rented an 8 passenger limo. It held the 4 of us plus the trunk steamers we brought along. We did some touring of Miami, South Beach and had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe in the harbor area next to the pier where the ship was. It is when the port is Seattle or Montreal that we go a day early.

A quick packing tip, get rid of all hangers in your clothes, they take up lots of space. Take a multi-outlet strip for your charging things as there are limited outlets in your room even if it is the Penthouse suite.

• 2 weeks later...
Great advice, thanks - yeah, I know we're cutting it close, originally I was looking at a flight that arrived at 11:30am but then I would be really stressed out!

I'll see if I can find a flight that arrives the day before, but we're actually flying overnight to get there, not too many options...

If we have no choice, we'll definitely follow the advice of grabbing a bite in the airport and heading straight to port!

If we can arrive the day before - any suggestions on hotels nearby where we can stay?

Thanks!

J

I believe there is a Holiday Inn near the Bayside Market and its got a free shuttle from the hotel to the port terminal if you fly in the night before the cruise. I think its only about a mile from the terminal and I like to be in line by 11 as it seems to be when check in starts.

Archived