SUITE PERKS (Compared): Carnival, NCL, Princess, Celebrity

Tom-n-Cheryl

Unfortunately, I've been spoiled by the NCL suite experience and have not yet been convinced to try another line. I'd love to sail on different ships, but until other major lines bring themselves up to speed with what NCL offers, we'll stick with what we are happy with. RCL made a half-hearted attempt, but for us the perks are still better on NCL. I'm curious to see what CCL has in store with their upgrades.

I agree that NCL is a notch above, the Butler made all the difference in the world to us. I have nothing against RCCL's suite offerings though, and I have to admit my sample size is pretty small. I'm comparing:

Grand Suite on POA (highest suite category on the ship)

Owner's Suite on Legend of the Seas

Grand Suite on Carnival Fantasy

In the next 13 months I'll have two haven suites on NCL (Breakaway and Escape) and a Star Class on Royal Caribbeans new Suite Class offering. I'm curious to see how the Royal Genies will compare to the NCL Butlers.

In the next 13 months I'll have two haven suites on NCL (Breakaway and Escape) and a Star Class on Royal Caribbeans new Suite Class offering. I'm curious to see how the Royal Genies will compare to the NCL Butlers.

I'd be really curious to see how you compare the Haven to the Star Class. The fact that you have to book the highest level suites on Royal before you get all the perks irks me, in addition to it only being offered on their newest classes of ships.

Not all of NCL's ships have a Haven, but at least the butler, concierge and private restaurant for at least breakfast and lunch hold true.

I do hope CCL offers something that perks our interest. I enjoy reading reviews of the Carnival ships.

I'd be really curious to see how you compare the Haven to the Star Class. The fact that you have to book the highest level suites on Royal before you get all the perks irks me, in addition to it only being offered on their newest classes of ships.

Not all of NCL's ships have a Haven, but at least the butler, concierge and private restaurant for at least breakfast and lunch hold true.

I do hope CCL offers something that perks our interest. I enjoy reading reviews of the Carnival ships.

I have to agree with you on the perks for RCCL. I looked at the suites as our friends enjoy this line and we told them we would have to think about going on a cruise with them on this line. I have to admit to being spoiled by the NCL Suite life. The few times on Carnival was for room only and it was in no way a comparison to the perks of NCL.

I will certainly share, but it won't be until next April when I'm on the Harmony of the Seas. :D

We've only done suites on 3 of our 14 cruises, though that ratio is going up in the next year, so we really aren't that picky about our accommodations. It's more a convenience thing with the kids than a luxury thing for us. Boarding is easier/faster, getting meals in the room is super convenient, the extra room is nice, priority dining reservations, etc. When just DW and I cruise we don't get suites, and I don't forsee that changing.

Not sure if this is still the case, but for the two Haven suites I booked last year I didn't have to pay the SDP/UDP/UBP gratuities. Haven guests for whatever reason got all 4 promo options and didn't have to pay the gratuities on the packages.

That's even better then!

Hi Tom.....I asked JH today when the announcement would be made about the new suite perks and he did answer me and stated Soon and he thought we'd be very happy with the changes

Thanks for sharing!

I'm looking forward to seeing what suite perks CCL will roll out. Even double cruise points would make a suite worthwhile for us, since we're newbie CCL red card holders. For double cruise points at current suite pricing, I'd probably trade up to a GS on our Fascination cruise. We wouldn't require a special restaurant, special servants, "free" drink packages, any of that - not from Carnival. We could go to other cruise lines and pay a serious premium for those things if we wanted them.

I'd like for Carnival to make the suite experience special but keep it simple. Tossing in the FTTF experience plus double cruise points would be lovely. Of course, platinums and diamonds already get FTTF and more, so it might not sway them as much towards a suite. But for red card holders like us, it would be a real incentive.

Edited by undercat

Thanks for sharing!

I'm looking forward to seeing what suite perks CCL will roll out. Even double cruise points would make a suite worthwhile for us, since we're newbie CCL red card holders. For double cruise points at current suite pricing, I'd probably trade up to a GS on our Fascination cruise. We wouldn't require a special restaurant, special servants, "free" drink packages, any of that - not from Carnival. We could go to other cruise lines and pay a serious premium for those things if we wanted them.

I'd like for Carnival to make the suite experience special but keep it simple. Tossing in the FTTF experience plus double cruise points would be lovely. Of course, platinums and diamonds already get FTTF and more, so it might not sway them as much towards a suite. But for red card holders like us, it would be a real incentive.

The FTTF benefits would be great. We have the handicapped cabin booked for the Magic next year and it would be wonderful to be able to take my friends daughter to the room and drop off our bags. Really hard to push her wheelchair and keep up with the bags.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm not sure there's going to be anything now. I read a report of someone asking John Heald a question about it on his page and the questions kept getting deleted. Could be Carnival is pulling back on that.

I do agree though, it wouldn't have to be a ton of perks like the other lines. Just a few simple things... double VIFP points seems like an easy one, though carnival is having trouble with too many platinums. FTTF would be nice, but as you said platinums already get that. Plus suites already get priority embark/debark. Getting priority tender in a suite seems like an easy benefit to give. I don't know that they could commit to having all suites on the ship ready when boarding began though.

Then maybe a few other small things... complimentary steakhouse on the first night. Complimentary behind the scenes tour. Access to activities an hour before they open to everyone else (like rope course, sky bikes, etc). Just simple things that don't cost a whole lot but add to the overall experience. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

• 1 month later...
I'm not sure there's going to be anything now. I read a report of someone asking John Heald a question about it on his page and the questions kept getting deleted. Could be Carnival is pulling back on that.

I do agree though, it wouldn't have to be a ton of perks like the other lines. Just a few simple things... double VIFP points seems like an easy one, though carnival is having trouble with too many platinums. FTTF would be nice, but as you said platinums already get that. Plus suites already get priority embark/debark. Getting priority tender in a suite seems like an easy benefit to give. I don't know that they could commit to having all suites on the ship ready when boarding began though.

Then maybe a few other small things... complimentary steakhouse on the first night. Complimentary behind the scenes tour. Access to activities an hour before they open to everyone else (like rope course, sky bikes, etc). Just simple things that don't cost a whole lot but add to the overall experience. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Nothing good here. As far as I am concerned still keeps Carnival last as far as suite perks go.

Dear Carnival Guest,

We'd like to take this opportunity to provide you some important information regarding a change to our gratuity guidelines.

Our gratuity guidelines will be increasing from $12.00 to $12.95 per person per day for guests sailing in standard staterooms and $13.95 per person per day for guests booked in suites with cruises departing September 1, 2016 and onward. In tandem with this change, in addition to priority embarkation and debarkation in all ports and confirmed main dining room preference, suite guests will now receive priority tender service, complimentary in-suite bottled water and one complimentary bag of laundry per voyage, as well as an enhanced turndown service. Guests who have pre-paid their gratuities as of May 9 will not be affected by the increase.

While gratuities are automatically added to your onboard Sail & Sign account as a convenience, tipping is always at your discretion. Please feel free to adjust, up or down, as you deem appropriate, by visiting Guest Services after the gratuities have been posted to your account.

Our shipboard team members work hard to provide exceptional service so we hope you will agree that this slight increase is well deserved.

We thank you for your understanding and we look forward to welcoming you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise!

It's all nice but it would be nicer to compare price as well.

I have checked a few prices as well with NCL suites against Carnival. I know there will be no comparison in amenities but with that said I also know what my budget is. I travel with a friend whose daughter is disabled (she goes with us) and my son has severe disabilities (he stays home with his dad) so we don't have a large amount of disposable income. Both of us are working moms (me with 2 jobs from my house and her with 2 jobs as well). We are doing a Handicapped Ocean Suite on the Magic in April 2017 and when comparing a suite on some of the NCL we are looking at $3500 to $5500 more then what we paid for Carnival. I can't justify that in my brain. I don't envy those that can afford it because that means they worked hard to get to that point to indulge a little. But for me that is a lot of jack to spend for a week when in the end it is about relaxing and seeing a smile on a young girls face.:)

I have checked a few prices as well with NCL suites against Carnival. I know there will be no comparison in amenities but with that said I also know what my budget is. I travel with a friend whose daughter is disabled (she goes with us) and my son has severe disabilities (he stays home with his dad) so we don't have a large amount of disposable income. Both of us are working moms (me with 2 jobs from my house and her with 2 jobs as well). We are doing a Handicapped Ocean Suite on the Magic in April 2017 and when comparing a suite on some of the NCL we are looking at $3500 to $5500 more then what we paid for Carnival. I can't justify that in my brain. I don't envy those that can afford it because that means they worked hard to get to that point to indulge a little. But for me that is a lot of jack to spend for a week when in the end it is about relaxing and seeing a smile on a young girls face.:)

I think by-and-large Carnival is probably going to come out far cheaper, for good reason. You do need to look at individual sailings though to be sure. Later this year I'm doing an Escape cruise in the Haven, and then directly over to the Carnival Vista. Each cruise was cheaper than the alternate for that week. The Vista (same room) was more expensive than the Escape for the week I'm cruising the Escape. But the Vista was far cheaper the week I'm cruising her, again apples to apples comparison. Had I done a B2B on either ship rather than switching ships, I'd be paying about $2k more. So it pays to check around.

I think by-and-large Carnival is probably going to come out far cheaper, for good reason. You do need to look at individual sailings though to be sure. Later this year I'm doing an Escape cruise in the Haven, and then directly over to the Carnival Vista. Each cruise was cheaper than the alternate for that week. The Vista (same room) was more expensive than the Escape for the week I'm cruising the Escape. But the Vista was far cheaper the week I'm cruising her, again apples to apples comparison. Had I done a B2B on either ship rather than switching ships, I'd be paying about $2k more. So it pays to check around.

I was just matching for the week we can go and close to the same itinerary. If I was able to pick and choose when to go I am sure I could find some better pricing. I have never been on NCL and would love to in the next few years so I will be keeping an eye our for a good price!