Tamarind specials

DiploTraveler

If you do not pre book Tamarind, then go immediately to one of the podiums mid ship on Lido deck to book it the minute you get on board the ship. Make that your first priority because if you wait you definitely WILL NOT get to experience Tamarind. Especially Dim Sum lunch. I do not think there has ever been a week ever on wither the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam that it was not sold on before the ship left the dock.

Run Special?......This is already a special and trust me it would still sell out if HAL raised the price.

I don't see lunch as an option for Tamarind reservations. How do you reserve Dim Sum?

The minute you get on board ou need to make reservations for lunch. Not available on line but definitely worth the rush to get on board early ;)

You can not make reservations for the lunch at the Tamarind until you get on the ship - and it does fill up quickly.

The lunch is a set Dim Dum menu -- only choice is dessert:

Hot and Sour Soup

Asian Herb Szechuan Sesame Salad

Steamed Classic Dumplings:

Chicken

Asian Pork

Steam Vegetable

Spinach and Mushroom

Shrimp 'Shu Mat'

From the Wok:

Vegetable Spring Roll

Spicy Crab Sushi Nugget

Shrimp Won Ton Sticks

Shrimp Spring Roll

Spicy Crab Rangoon

Holland America Line Culinary Fusion Sauces:

Bora Bora BBQ - tomato, ginger, aged vinegar, soy sauce

Mirin Pesto - sweet wine, soy, fresh basil, garlic, lemon grass

Coco Churri - coconut, cilantro, chili, lime

Shoyu Sabi - classic flavors of soy and wasabi

Choice of One Dessert:

Mango Sirbet

Coconut Ice Cream

Egg Tart

Green Tea Tiramisu

If you mean, you want to have lunch there more than once during the week, I never heard anyone book that way but I suppose you could do it. I am finding that lunch in the Lido on the Vista ships has a variety of Asian foods on the Asian side...California rolls and some soups and hot food.

No "specials" in the Tamarind during my recent cruise. This became my favorite specialty restaurant on any cruise ship (any line). Excellent food and service both at lunch and at dinner.

From what I understand, Tamarind dim sum is free... Is there a limit to how many reservations I can make?

You can make more than on reservations for lunch if you like, but it is the same menu every single day (fixed menu) for lunch, so I don't think too many lunches in a row would be too exciting. ;)

Can you tell me how soon before the cruise I can book. When I looked at my reservation it tells me 3 days before departure. It states that for everything - dining, spa, excursions. But in reading I get the impression you can book before that.

Can you tell me how soon before the cruise I can book. When I looked at my reservation it tells me 3 days before departure. It states that for everything - dining, spa, excursions. But in reading I get the impression you can book before that.

I think it says to book online reservations no later than 3 days prior to departure (or some similar language). I'm under the impression that you can start booking online once you have a confirmation number from HAL. Am I correct?

Just got back from the Niew Amsterdam and we, too, loved the Tamarind for dinner, and went several times. But it was not that busy on the nights we went, both formal and not. In fact, twice a young lady was in the Lido during breakfast trying to get people to make reservations for the Tamarind. We loved it, so found it interesting that they obviously weren't full every night. If you have the opportunity be sure to try it. It was a fun experience!:)

Just got back from the Niew Amsterdam and we, too, loved the Tamarind for dinner, and went several times. But it was not that busy on the nights we went, both formal and not. In fact, twice a young lady was in the Lido during breakfast trying to get people to make reservations for the Tamarind. We loved it, so found it interesting that they obviously weren't full every night. If you have the opportunity be sure to try it. It was a fun experience!:)

That's interesting. Were they offering an incentive to make a reservation or just promoting the restaurant?

• 2 months later...
Tamarind lunch books especially fast for sea days.

Formal nights tend to fill last, as many people prefer to eat in the MDR on those evenings.[/Q

is there a way to find out when the formal nights on your cruise are in advance??? i'd like to make a reservation at the tamarind but don't want it to coincide with a formal night

Tamarind lunch books especially fast for sea days.

Formal nights tend to fill last, as many people prefer to eat in the MDR on those evenings.[/Q

is there a way to find out when the formal nights on your cruise are in advance??? i'd like to make a reservation at the tamarind but don't want it to coincide with a formal night

Formal nights for your cruise should be the Sea days.

On the Eurodam last year, we booked the Tamarind before we got onboard for the night we were in San Juan and pretty much had the place to ourselves. The food was pretty spicy. I loved the shrimp tempura but if you don't want your tongue to burn, ask for not so spicy. But, we were in the Silk Den several nights later and there didn't appear to be a lot of activty that night either. I dont' know if everyone was eating lunch there or just didn't favor the food. The atmosphere was wonderful. It probably depends on your cruise. The Pinnacle seemed to be doing a bustling business every night.

learning lots of tricks and hints from these boards! We are going Eurodam in november. So this Timarind is a must? at least once? is lunch better to go to than supper? would like to try every experience at least once> thanks! any additional tips for this ship are GREATLY appreciated!

We have always found dinner to be excellent. Lunch, however, I have found to be very disappointing. Lunch is essentially a set menu, which means the dumplings are pre-made, perhaps sitting around, and I have just found the quality to be lacking.

On a Baltic crusie this summer, there were no "specials" at the Tamarind even on evenings when the room was not full. Same was true for PG. No special pricing, so don't hesitate to book dinners before departure.

I agree with other posters - Tamarind is the best specialty restaurant I've enjoyed on any cruise line (and I always try the specialty restaurants when I cruise). Don't miss it unless this style of food just isn't appealing to you.

We have always found dinner to be excellent. Lunch, however, I have found to be very disappointing. Lunch is essentially a set menu, which means the dumplings are pre-made, perhaps sitting around, and I have just found the quality to be lacking.

We were also disappointed in the Tamarind Lunch -- even though it is a set menu -- we did not get one of each of the dim sum as listed in the menu -- thus there was not much food.

Dessert was excellent.

Archived