FOS: Grand Suite + kids in balcony cabin - do they get same perks?

We're cruising the FOS for the first time next month, and have a GS booked with our kids in a balcony cabin. I've read where they have reserved seating in shows, a concierge area, and seating in Portifinos for Windjammer meals.

Will my kids be able to take advantage of these perks since we're traveling as a family? Thanks!

I doubt that you will have any problem taking them WITH you into the specialty restaurants next to the Windjammer, or into the reserved seats at the show.

The 16 year old is not allowed in the Concierge Lounge during the "cocktail hour" of 5 to 8:30, so take that into consideration. Either you'll all want to stick together as a family during that time, or you'll set the two of them loose elsewhere while Mom and Dad enjoy their free booze.

:)

Thank you for the response...I wasn't sure whether or not they could utilize the reserved seating for shows (including ice show tickets), or the concierge lounge with us for continental breakfast.

They're not really big drinkers, so keeping them out of there during happy hour shouldn't be a problem.;)

I doubt that you will have any problem taking them WITH you into the specialty restaurants next to the Windjammer, or into the reserved seats at the show.

The 16 year old is not allowed in the Concierge Lounge during the "cocktail hour" of 5 to 8:30, so take that into consideration. Either you'll all want to stick together as a family during that time, or you'll set the two of them loose elsewhere while Mom and Dad enjoy their free booze.

:)

If they were 21 and 23, it would be up to the concierge, as to whether they would be allowed to join you in the concierge lounge, for evening cocktails.

Every other area the MM mentions probably would be fine, as they are not cost or profit centers for Royal Caribbean.

Enjoy your cruise!!;)

Rick

Thank you for the response...I wasn't sure whether or not they could utilize the reserved seating for shows (including ice show tickets), or the concierge lounge with us for continental breakfast.

They're not really big drinkers, so keeping them out of there during happy hour shouldn't be a problem.;)

When u get onboard, go to the concierge lounge and introduce yourself. Tell the concierge that your two kids are next door. The concierge will be able to get you four tickets to the ice shows, theater, and other venues. We did this a few years ago. We had 15 in our group, four of us were in suites; the concierge got tickets for the entire group.

When u get onboard, go to the concierge lounge and introduce yourself. Tell the concierge that your two kids are next door. The concierge will be able to get you four tickets to the ice shows, theater, and other venues. We did this a few years ago. We had 15 in our group, four of us were in suites; the concierge got tickets for the entire group.

Most of the ships have done away with tickets for the ice shows. I'm not aware of any other venues on Freedom that require them.:) But you shouldn't have any problem bringing them with you into the reserved seating areas (not sure about the pool).

Technically, your kids aren't allowed in the Concierge Lounge at any time, since they aren't staying in the full suite with you. But an individual concierge may bend the rules, especially during the day, when the lounge is likely to be empty.

I would go into it the attitude with any perk those not in the suite got was a bonus. I don't think it is right if they don't get those perks to be upset (maybe disappointed). The concierge controls access to the lounge (which during the early morning they aren't even there) but may not have direct control over the other perks that require gold card access (pool, entertainment, breakfast/lunch in Portifino, etc.). There is a reason it is limited to those actually staying in a suite, where do you draw the line? If I stay in the RS but have my six kids (I don't have six!) staying in balconys, would that be OK?

I would go into it the attitude with any perk those not in the suite got was a bonus. I don't think it is right if they don't get those perks to be upset (maybe disappointed). The concierge controls access to the lounge (which during the early morning they aren't even there) but may not have direct control over the other perks that require gold card access (pool, entertainment, breakfast/lunch in Portifino, etc.). There is a reason it is limited to those actually staying in a suite, where do you draw the line? If I stay in the RS but have my six kids (I don't have six!) staying in balconys, would that be OK?

And your statement is correct, and I like the way that you point out that, if for some reason that your children are not allowed to partake in the venues presented to suite members........please understand.that they are there for suite guest only.

That being said, there are many ships that bend the rules, depending on how crowded.....say that Chops (which is the suite guest area for breakfast, and lunch) is not crowded.......and you introduce your children, and ask if they can join you for breakfast........the chances are better than 50-50 that you will be told yes. And once that you have it on the first day........you will more than likely, have it for the rest of the cruise.

And, it does not matter whether you are staying in the RS.......or a GS, everyone in the "full suite" catagory is treated the same.

Rick

There is a reason it is limited to those actually staying in a suite, where do you draw the line? If I stay in the RS but have my six kids (I don't have six!) staying in balconys, would that be OK?

Yes, absolutely IMO; especially if traveling as a family. We were going to book them in the GS with us, but for $580 more we were able to get them in their own balcony cabin; I could have spent less with the cruise line and this question wouldn't be being posed.

If they were 21 and 23, it would be up to the concierge, as to whether they would be allowed to join you in the concierge lounge, for evening cocktails.

Every other area the MM mentions probably would be fine, as they are not cost or profit centers for Royal Caribbean.

Enjoy your cruise!!;)

Rick

Rick, if the OP's children were 21 and 23, they would automatically be allowed into the CL in the evenings for the 5-8:30 cocktail hour as they would be of legal drinking age.........wouldn't they??:confused:

Rick, if the OP's children were 21 and 23, they would automatically be allowed into the CL in the evenings for the 5-8:30 cocktail hour as they would be of legal drinking age.........wouldn't they??:confused:

Only if they were in a GS or above. Otherwise, every family that traveled could get one GS and bring EVERYONE into the CL because they were paying for their rooms. Can you imagine a family with 5 grown children and their grown grandchildren, i.e.? They'd take over the entire CL. As for the ice shows, each person has to show their Gold card to get in to sit in the reserved area and even get in after the rest of the theater is full.

The CL and reserved seating is really set up to accomodate the number of suite guests they expect.

Only if they were in a GS or above. Otherwise, every family that traveled could get one GS and bring EVERYONE into the CL because they were paying for their rooms. Can you imagine a family with 5 grown children and their grown grandchildren, i.e.? They'd take over the entire CL. As for the ice shows, each person has to show their Gold card to get in to sit in the reserved area and even get in after the rest of the theater is full.

The CL and reserved seating is really set up to accomodate the number of suite guests they expect.

Oops, I forgot that the kids were not going to be in the GS with the parents.:o That's what you get for speed reading.

Yes, absolutely IMO; especially if traveling as a family. We were going to book them in the GS with us, but for $580 more we were able to get them in their own balcony cabin; I could have spent less with the cruise line and this question wouldn't be being posed.

Yes RCI would have received less for the four of you but then they would have been able to book the balcony to someone else, bringing in not only the additional revenue for the cabin but two more bodies to spend on the ship. Ships usually sail full, one way or another.

Sorry, but I disagree with you. Suite perks are meant for those staying in suites and not for those staying in suites and their travelling party.

If you had booked your kids in the suite and saved money, good for you and the kids perks, but you decided to fork out more money to get more privacy in the suite. Your decision! It doesn´t make sense to give suite perks for the kids then.

As others have said the Concierge may or may not grant some perks for the kids, but the spelled out policy about this is very clear - the perks are for those in the suite, period.

I wouldn't sweat it one bit. Your kids will be fine and be able to use the facilities with no problems.

When you get on the ship you will see it is much more care-free than it is made out to be here.

Nobody will question anything or say anything. I have see children in the CL during HH almost every day.

The only people who disapprove & quote rules are the busy-bodies on this website.

Have a great trip...........

I don't see anybody being a busy-body or even really disapproving. Mostly stating the policies and purpose behind them and trying to answer the OP's question. As most have stated, it may work or it may not. I met a couple who were in a GS who told me that their young adult children were not allowed in the CL since they were in a balcony (same situation as the OP). They didn't bother trying to use the reserved pool seating as they seemed to be checking cards very carefully.

Children in the CL that aren't in a suite could also be D+. Met some of those also.

If I asked a question about policy, I would want the right answer to set my expectations appropriately.

Archived