Current Captains Con't

I`m also new to this thread but Stig Nilsen is currently on Azamara Quest until August 16 and should take over Brilliance on August 31. Furthermore my understanding is that Captain Soerensen goes to Azamara Quest but this might not be valid anymore.

I`m also new to this thread but Stig Nilsen is currently on Azamara Quest until August 16 and should take over Brilliance on August 31. Furthermore my understanding is that Captain Soerensen goes to Azamara Quest but this might not be valid anymore.

sailboatlover, what can you make of this post. You say SR, he/she says BR. You say beginning of August, he/she says middle of August. I lean towards your prediction as Saab4444 is new. You can email me at wolfcathorse at hotmail dot com

sailboatlover, what can you make of this post. You say SR, he/she says BR. You say beginning of August, he/she says middle of August. I lean towards your prediction as Saab4444 is new. You can email me at wolfcathorse at hotmail dot com

Well, I can not email you as it will give my name. My source who is VERY CLOSE to me says that there is a lot of changes going on because of the amount of officers leaving. Stig is coming back over from Azamara. My source says he understood it to be Serenade or Brilliance, not 100% sure.

Sorry for being so evasive. I just can't reveal as I do not want them in any trouble from home office. You must know I just don't pool this out of thin air. I really just wanted people to know about the "fired" statement; and then I felt compelled to give you scheduling info for credibility. What info. I can help you with I will.

My info comes directly from Stig, and Azamara publishes the schedule officially like e.g. Cunard, P&O and even Costa. You can check on respective Azamara thread. Another info you can trust is that Captain Remo was on Indy not only until May 25 but until June 1. If Captain Grimstad is confirmed can you advise if Captain Johnny is leaving early in August? If you need background info I have no issue with sending an email as such a Captain schedule is not a real secret anyway... Thanks.

My info comes directly from Stig, and Azamara publishes the schedule officially like e.g. Cunard, P&O and even Costa. You can check on respective Azamara thread. Another info you can trust is that Captain Remo was on Indy not only until May 25 but until June 1. If Captain Grimstad is confirmed can you advise if Captain Johnny is leaving early in August? If you need background info I have no issue with sending an email as such a Captain schedule is not a real secret anyway... Thanks.

if Captain Grimstead does go to Allure my prediction is that he will work with Captain Johnny for a few weeks to get ised to the big ship till Johnny goes on vacation but this is only my prediction

OK, everyone, I have independently confirmed sailboatlover's info concerning Capt Grimstad, so please everyone cut the guy (or gal) some slack..

kind of unnerving to know that a 'new' captain (in terms of handling the allure) will be in charge of the allure on our cruise :eek: (captain johnny is scheduled for 10 weeks off starting with our cruise)..

if Captain Grimstead does go to Allure my prediction is that he will work with Captain Johnny for a few weeks to get ised to the big ship till Johnny goes on vacation but this is only my prediction

if what people are saying is correct and Grimstad is going to the allure on the 1st, that will give him exactly two weeks to be with Captain johnny - one week in the east and one week in the west, so that he can learn the ins and outs (literally) of each port...unless of course, they happen upon a hurricane....

and speaking of hurricanes, i sure hope he doesn't have to deal with one for the first time on our cruise all by his lonesome...

hmmmm.........i wonder how different the allure is to handle as compared to the freedom...

makes me nervous not to have an inexperienced captain (in terms of the allure)...

i'd feel a lot more secure if i knew that captain johnny was going to hang around for another week (into his vacation)....:rolleyes:

Edited by alaska_planner

kind of unnerving to know that a 'new' captain (in terms of handling the allure) will be in charge of the allure on our cruise :eek: (captain johnny is scheduled for 10 weeks off starting with our cruise)..

if what people are saying is correct and Grimstad is going to the allure on the 1st, that will give him exactly two weeks to be with Captain johnny - one week in the east and one week in the west, so that he can learn the ins and outs (literally) of each port...unless of course, they happen upon a hurricane....

and speaking of hurricanes, i sure hope he doesn't have to deal with one for the first time on our cruise all by his lonesome...

hmmmm.........i wonder how different the allure is to handle as compared to the freedom...

makes me nervous not to have an inexperienced captain (in terms of the allure)...

i'd feel a lot more secure if i knew that captain johnny was going to hang around for another week (into his vacation)....:rolleyes:

Do you really think RCI is going to turn over a 1 billion dollar ship to someone who can't handle it?

I had a discussion with Captain Rob about this very thing. He told me that even Allure and Oasis handle like the smaller ships, so it's not really an issue.

Sorry , but this is the most ridiculous post I have seen in a long time...

LOL, unrealistic fear! You're overthinking it. Have you watched the departures and arrivals? I've been on the bridge for both, its not the captain at the controls but the stf cpt. Just like airline pilots, you really think its the pilot doing the take off and landings??? It's the co-pilot, under the tutelage of the pilot! All the senior officers on the bridge have their master mariners license. Grimstad has been at the helm for at least 5 years before being promoted to master. Then there's the STAR center in Dania, the bridge simulator where the captains go to practice. Even your beloved Capt Johnny had to go there to learn how to back Mariner into San Pedro. So rest assured, no matter what size of ship, Capt Grimstad is capable and just as experienced and knowledgeable as any other master. And as for hurricanes, the cruising industry has protocol for the master of any cruiseline to follow to keep you safe.

Adventure OTS - Capt Ole-Johan Grønhaug (started rotation 5-26-13)

Adventure OTS - Capt Ron Holmes

Allure OTS - Capt Johnny Faevelen (started rotation 6-9-13)

Allure OTS - Capt Tore Grimstad

Brilliance OTS - Capt Manolis Kasselas (started rotation 6-15-13)

Brilliance OTS - Capt Henrik Sørensen

Enchantment OTS - Capt Shawn McDuff (started rotation 6-21-13)

Enchantment OTS - Capt Gus Andersson

Explorer OTS - Capt Olav Nyseter (started rotation 6-13-13)

Explorer OTS - Capt Henrik W Loy

Freedom OTS -Capt Tore Grimstad (started rotation 6-30-13)

Freedom OTS - Capt Tor Olsen

Grandeur OTS - Capt Trond Holm (started rotation 6-23-13)

Grandeur OTS - Capt Espen Been

Independence OTS - Capt Teo Strazicic (started rotation 6-1-13)

Independence OTS - Capt Arnolf Remø

Jewel OTS - Capt James MacDonald (started rotation 6-21-13)

Jewel OTS - Capt Thore Thorolvsen

Legend OTS - Capt Arild Hansen (started rotation 7-21-13)

Legend OTS - Capt Kjell Nordmo

Liberty OTS - Capt Per Kristoffersen(started rotation 7-13-13)

Liberty OTS - Capt Kjetil Gjerstad

Majesty OTS - Capt Dustin Castelsky (started rotation 7-8-13, only until 7-28)

Majesty OTS - Capt Rune Johnsen

Mariner OTS - Capt Yngvar Knutsen (started rotation 6-30-13)

Mariner OTS - Capt Flemming Nielsen

Navigator OTS - Capt Claus Andersen (started rotation 7-14-13)

Navigator OTS - Capt Frank Martinsen

Oasis OTS - Capt Patrik Dahlgren (started rotation 6-29-13)

Oasis OTS - Capt Trym Selvag

Radiance OTS - Capt Göran Peterson (started rotation 6-28-13)

Radiance OTS - Capt Sindre Borsheim

Rhapsody OTS - Capt Rob Hempstead (6-14-13)

Rhapsody OTS - Capt Rick Sullivan

Serenade OTS - Capt Anders Ingebrigtsen (started rotation 6-12-13)

Serenade OTS - Capt Karin Stahre-Janson

Splendour OTS - Capt Iv Vidos (started rotation 7-6-13?)

Splendour OTS - Capt Carl Graucob

Vision OTS - Capt Felix Shrecko Ban (started rotation 6-1-13)

Vision OTS - Capt Lis Lauritzen

Voyager OTS - Capt Sverre Ryan (started rotation 5-18-13)

Voyager OTS - Capt Charles Teige

Edited by wolfcathorse

Sorry , but this is the most ridiculous post I have seen in a long time...

I have to agree with you. Anyone who believes that only Captain Johnny is experienced enough to handle Allure or any other RCI ship, and that the corporation would put an "inexperienced" or "new" captain into a situation that he or she was not qualified to handle, has to be desperately looking for things to worry about. Perhaps the person who posted such foolishness should cancel their cruise and wait until a "more experienced captain" is available.:rolleyes:

I have to agree with you. Anyone who believes that only Captain Johnny is experienced enough to handle Allure or any other RCI ship, and that the corporation would put an "inexperienced" or "new" captain into a situation that he or she was not qualified to handle, has to be desperately looking for things to worry about. Perhaps the person who posted such foolishness should cancel their cruise and wait until a "more experienced captain" is available.:rolleyes:

I know there was some people on our Oasis sailing who said the same thing about Captain Dahlgren on Oasis. That how could a 36 year old have enough experience to be the master of Oasis. I am sure all the Captains do an excellent job :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Forums mobile app

Edited by Bugsy4271

I remember Captain Johnny staying on Mariner for an extra week in 2008 to work with Captain Kristoffersen started on that ship. That was Captain Kristoffersen's first Voyager class ship -- I think he may have come from a Sovereign or a Vision class ship. Captain Johnny came back a week later from vacation just in time for our sailing. Folks who had Captain Kristoffersen for their sailings were fine with the way he handled the ship.

Hi Everyone,

I usually book starboard and face out to sea when we're in Bermuda. Only once in 6 times did we face the dock. I love watching all the runners :p

This time we're booked port side and I'm hoping we still might face the dock. :) I realize there's really no way to tell but, it looks like Captain Olav parks portside.

I know this is a long shot but.........................could anyone take a quess at who might be the captain of the Explorer for next May 22nd LOL

Have a great weekend!!

Thanks for your help

I remember Captain Johnny staying on Mariner for an extra week in 2008 to work with Captain Kristoffersen started on that ship. That was Captain Kristoffersen's first Voyager class ship -- I think he may have come from a Sovereign or a Vision class ship. Captain Johnny came back a week later from vacation just in time for our sailing. Folks who had Captain Kristoffersen for their sailings were fine with the way he handled the ship.

I am sure that RCI is relieved to know that.

This is all too funny. I have to agree with most posters that RCCL takes the job of the Captains and the safety of its guest very seriously. They don't take any short cuts. All their captains are very experienced and dependable that is why some get promoted fast. Captain Zini is a good example. Captain Johnny went from Mariner to Allure and no one had doubts about his experience. Grimstad is also very experienced and always makes the right call when it ones to passenger safety. We missed a stop a Cocoa Cay due to bad weather, he did not want to take any chances. Good call I say.

Also, some of the older and smaller ships are harder to maneuver compared to the Freedom or Oasis Class. You have masters on rotation on smaller sips that were once Captains on Oasis. Captain Thore now on Jewel and Captain Tor Olsen on Freedom (who currently works and rotates with Grimstad on Freedom). So I think the entire fleet work well together and are very dependable.

Hi Everyone,

I usually book starboard and face out to sea when we're in Bermuda. Only once in 6 times did we face the dock. I love watching all the runners :p

This time we're booked port side and I'm hoping we still might face the dock. :) I realize there's really no way to tell but, it looks like Captain Olav parks portside.

I know this is a long shot but.........................could anyone take a quess at who might be the captain of the Explorer for next May 22nd LOL

Have a great weekend!!

Thanks for your help

Can anyone tell me how the rotation works for the Explorer and I'll try to figure it out

Thanx

I am sure that RCI is relieved to know that.
I think RCI's decision to put Captain Per on Mariner and have him spend some time with Captain Johnny ensured that they would not worry.

Interesting about how posters have noted that the older ships are harder to maneuver than the Voyager/Freedom/Oasis class vessels.

LOL, unrealistic fear! You're overthinking it. Have you watched the departures and arrivals? I've been on the bridge for both, its not the captain at the controls but the stf cpt. Just like airline pilots, you really think its the pilot doing the take off and landings??? It's the co-pilot, under the tutelage of the pilot! All the senior officers on the bridge have their master mariners license. Grimstad has been at the helm for at least 5 years before being promoted to master. Then there's the STAR center in Dania, the bridge simulator where the captains go to practice. Even your beloved Capt Johnny had to go there to learn how to back Mariner into San Pedro. So rest assured, no matter what size of ship, Capt Grimstad is capable and just as experienced and knowledgeable as any other master. And as for hurricanes, the cruising industry has protocol for the master of any cruiseline to follow to keep you safe.

i've watched the disney captains dock at castaway cay numerous times, and for some reason (perhaps part of the whole disney show thing) the captains always do it themselves (unless that joystick is just for show - could be)..

of course RCI isn't going to hand over a billion $ ship to someone unqualified (one would hope :rolleyes: ), but a single bad captain has been know to bring an entire ship down despite the crew....and botch the evacuation while he was at it...

so yeah.....the experience of the crew is important, but so is that captain...that's why they make the big bucks (ok...so maybe not 'big' bucks, but more than the other guys)....

I think RCI's decision to put Captain Per on Mariner and have him spend some time with Captain Johnny ensured that they would not worry.

Interesting about how posters have noted that the older ships are harder to maneuver than the Voyager/Freedom/Oasis class vessels.

If you ever have a chance to see the show Mighy Ships on the Discovery channel it is really cool. They had Freedom and Oasis on before.