Deposit Queston?

DFD1

I just booked 5 staterooms on Eurodam, 7 days, January 7, 2012 and the deposit was $350.00 per person. This seemed high to both me and the booking agent.

Anyone here have a clue about this increased deposit amount? Is this the new norm?

Thanks, DFD

I believe there's a sale going on now for reduced deposits a 7 day cruise $100.00 p.p, $200.00 p.p 8-14 nights. I just booked a 7 day cruise last week through an on line T.A and although they weren't advertising that special she called Holland to verify the sale and applied it to my booking. I would call and have your T.A look into it.

Hope everything works out for you!

Update.....

HAL now tells me that reduced deposit is available on selected cruises only. It's not a big deal, but seems to me that some consistency should be in order.

What is the maximum cruise length for using the 100 dollar future cruise credits you buy onboard?

While onboard our Hawaii/Tahiti cruise we used the $100 p.p. future cruise credit to book the 35 day Voyage of the Vikings. I don't know if this is the maximum # of days but I believe it is very close.

What is the maximum cruise length for using the 100 dollar future cruise credits you buy onboard?

While onboard our Hawaii/Tahiti cruise we used the $100 p.p. future cruise credit to book the 35 day Voyage of the Vikings. I don't know if this is the maximum # of days but I believe it is very close.

Your answer is helpful because I was interested in booking the 30 day Hawaii Tahiti for 2013 on our upcoming cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I just put a deposit down on a Hawaii/Tahiti cruise for next Oct. 2012 which amounted to $ 3500. Guess it's "different strokes for different folks" !

Some here have asked that I compared, once we take our cruise next year, the differences between HAL and Silversea. Well, I can tell you one right now and that's our deposit on Silversea. It's very much in line with HAL's Hawaii/Tahiti cruise, for us somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30% of the cruise cost. :eek: $350 a person sounds like a real bargain right now but I understand the angst. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the 100 dollar future cruise credits? And what is the advantage? I want to cruise a LOT on HAL.

What are the 100 dollar future cruise credits? And what is the advantage? I want to cruise a LOT on HAL.

From the Hal Site:

Book on board and you can reserve your next cruise at a

reduced deposit of only US$100 per person and receive a

shipboard credit of up to $200.00 per stateroom. (If you

choose to take advantage of Holland America’s cruise

Cancellation Protection this payment will also be due at time

of initial deposit.) No additional deposits will be due until

final payment. The reduced deposit applies to sailings of 36

days or less. Should you need to cancel your reservation,

your reduced deposit will be applicable to another Holland

America Line cruise within the next four years.

Please Note: This offer is not applicable for Grand World

Voyage, Grand Voyages or segments thereof. Please speak to

the Future Cruise Consultant regarding other amenities for

these voyages.

Book the Stateroom or Suite You Want

When you book on board, you have a much better

opportunity of receiving the stateroom or suite that best suits

your traveling style; this includes preferred accommodations

on our most popular and unique itineraries. That’s because

your Future Cruise Consultant has immediate access to

Holland America Line’s reservation system and can view all

availabilities on all sailings. The time to reserve your desired

stateroom, suite and dining preference is now.

Your booking will be credited to, and finalized by, your

preferred Travel Professional

We appreciate the relationship you have with your travel

professional and want to assure you they will be credited

for bookings made onboard, just let us know. In addition,

Holland America Line will honor any pricing or amenities

that your travel professional extends in addition to your

onboard offers.

To book, or for more information, simply visit your Future

Cruise Consultant.

HAL has a future cruise consultant on board their ships. You may book a future cruise while on board for only a $100 per person deposit. Later, you may change the cruise to suit your needs during the subsequent four year period while still using the original $l00 deposit.

I believe you must actually take a cruise within four years or you will lose the deposit.

If I'm wrong, others will set me straight. That's one of the nice things about CC!

Opps....Someone gave you a better answer and posted while I was writing this. Oh Well....

Ah, thanks. I thought it was something different.

So, one thing is puzzling me. I've read and heard in several places different rules for the cancellation insurance. Here, and from employees with HAL, it states that you have to purchase that at booking time. In other places, I've read that the cancellation insurance must be purchased 72 days from sailing, which would be the date final payment has been made.

So, if I book a cruise onboard, and don't get the cancellation insurance, I can't buy it later?

Or, I book, and sometime before the 72 day mark, they will be willing to sell me the cancellation insurance that they would have preferred I bought at time of booking?

Ah, thanks. I thought it was something different.

So, one thing is puzzling me. I've read and heard in several places different rules for the cancellation insurance. Here, and from employees with HAL, it states that you have to purchase that at booking time. In other places, I've read that the cancellation insurance must be purchased 72 days from sailing, which would be the date final payment has been made.

So, if I book a cruise onboard, and don't get the cancellation insurance, I can't buy it later?

Or, I book, and sometime before the 72 day mark, they will be willing to sell me the cancellation insurance that they would have preferred I bought at time of booking?

When HAL started this new Insurance Plan last summer -- we were able to buy it at Final Payment for our future cruises -- wasn't a problem.

Break down of the shipboard credit that you can get by booking or making deposits while cruising:

Shipboard Credit:

7 - 10 days:

Inside - $25 per person

Outside - $25 per person

Verandah (VA/A - VF/BC) - $35 per person

Suite (PS - S/SY) - $50 per person

11+ days:

Inside - $50 per person

Outside - $50 per person

Verandah (VA/A - VF/BC) - $75 per person

Suite (PS - S/SY) - $100 per person

Please Note:

Deposit of $100 per person -- good for 4 years -- no refund of deposit.

This offer applies to the first two passengers in stateroom only, and is not applicable to upper berth passengers. Passengers with single occupancy will receive a single person portion. Ship board credit may only be used on a single voyage and expires at the end of that voyage. This offer or any unused portion is not redeemable for cash and is available to new bookings only.

This offer is not combinable with the World Cruise, Grand Voyages or segments thereof.

I don't think there's a specific number of days, just that it can't be (as noted in posts above) a World Cruise, any Grand Voyage, or segments thereof.

When HAL started this new Insurance Plan last summer -- we were able to buy it at Final Payment for our future cruises -- wasn't a problem.

Awesome! I have to make multiple bookings for others on my upcoming cruise, and our friends prefer to put everything on their credit cards when they buy tickets for the group, then collect money later, and there is some assumptions that we will do the same. I don't want to put thousands on my credit card and collect later. I want them to pay their cancellation insurance to the HAL PCC when contacted. These aren't theatre tickets! Deposit..OK.

I think the down payment must depend on a lot of factors. We just booked a 7 day Caribbean for Oct and the deposit was $700 for two. I also thought it was a lot more than we usually pay, but its ok. The personal consultant said the final payment is Aug 15, so its pay now or pay next month. I didn't know if you pay by the cost of your trip or if its per person. Just not sure how it works.

We NEVER buy the insurance the cruise lines offer ---- it only covers the cruise and we always travel at least 2 or 3 days prior to departure. Nor will it cover your airfare and hotels costs if you have

to cancel at the last minute. Check out http://www.insuremytrip.com for different plans and rates. We are self-employed and use Access America's Biz Pack Plan.

It doesn't need to be purchased until a few weeks prior to final payment and does cover pre-existing conditions.

Archived