St. Thomas Full Today

jhannah

A week ago when I was there, there were six ships. It was crazy crowded. And we saw several passengers miss their Disney boat, and have to be quickly shuttled out in a dinghy!

If you go into town, leave plenty of time to get back to the ship.

I've always loved St. Thomas... Mountain Top, Magen's Bay, downtown, beautiful harbor....lot's to see and do, but not lately. Just too many people.

I wonder what it will be like 5 or 10 years from now if the trend continues.

I've always loved St. Thomas... Mountain Top, Magen's Bay, downtown, beautiful harbor....lot's to see and do, but not lately. Just too many people.

I should have been more clear, also. My objection to STT now is exactly that there are just way too many people and cruise ships. Yes, we could stay on the ship, but if we are going to cruise we like to be able to enjoy the ports along with the ship.

sailing the zuiderdam on 28-may... do they generally know which dock the ship will be using prior to sailing? for me it changes the time and locale of pickup for the scuba diving i've pre-arranged.

and while it's not a major problem finding out when we arrive, it does mean i need to be ready to go earlier than planned in case we're not at havensight.

tia.

sailing the zuiderdam on 28-may... do they generally know which dock the ship will be using prior to sailing?

The 'planned' docks for all ship for the entire month is listed on http://www.***** at the beginning of each month. However, like everything else it is subject to change, but I think most often is pretty accurate.

Just go to that site, click on St. Thomas and you'll see the link to Cruise Ships.

Last November there were three ships docked at Havensight, the Zuiderdam was anchored across from Havensight and those of us on the Volendam were docked at Crown Bay. There were lots of people in town that day.

Himself

Not sure how many ships today - but we were told it is full. The Volendam is tendering. Still haven't cleared immigration is is now about 9:45 am.... may not get off the ship at this rate. There are still about 6 staterooms who have not shown up yet. :(

Still haven't cleared immigration is is now about 9:45 am.... may not get off the ship at this rate. There are still about 6 staterooms who have not shown up yet. :(
This is so sad. A few people (all it takes is one) holding up an entire ship. They should be drawn and quartered! This is another good reason to not schedule a squeaker of an early flight home at disembarkation. No one leaves the ship until all have cleared.

Not sure how many ships today - but we were told it is full. The Volendam is tendering. Still haven't cleared immigration is is now about 9:45 am.... may not get off the ship at this rate. There are still about 6 staterooms who have not shown up yet. :(

Have never been to St. Thomas - not sure what is meant by "about 6 staterooms who have not shown up yet."

On cruises I don't recall having to do anything specially to clear immigraton.

In Russia you did have to show passport and visa at the port when leaving the ship.

On cruises I don't recall having to do anything specially to clear immigraton.

THis is a relatively recent change by US Immigration authorities. Whenever you dock in a US port after having been in a non-US port everyone has to present themselves with identification to the immigration authorities. Everyone. And no one gets off until all have been cleared.

Here are a couple of links with maps.

http://www.virgin-islands-hotels.com/gettingaround.htm

http://www.st-thomas.com/week/stt-island-map.html

Currently there is no shopping at the dock like Havensite. People have reported that they are buildling a shopping but I think it is still under construction.

Take a cab into town for shopping.

we were on Zaandam 2/19 sailing and docked at Crown Bay. They are building but hard to tell what yet. You can take a taxi to center of shopping district for $3.50 per person. There are many open air taxies waiting at the pier for passengers.

Archived