Gem Shore Excursions - Is 4 Hours at Horseshoe Bay enough?

wolfcel

We are on the Gem in August and I'm looking to book shore excursions.

Is 4 hours at Horseshoe Bay Beach enough?

Is it worth spending the $25pp or is it just as easy to take the bus?

Same question for the Hidden Beach by Trolly which takes you to Stone Hole Beach. That says you have approx 2 1/2 hours at the beach. That doesn't seem enough time for $65 pp.

Any help on beaches in Bermuda is MOST appreciated.

And any other sites we should not miss...this is our first time to Bermuda!!

I would suggest you use Bermuda transportation to get to the beaches or anywhere on Bermuda - it is much cheaper than ship excursions. I believe an adult ticket on their bus system is 8 pp round trip and kids may be less. You can also purchase 2 day or 3 day passes that you can use on both buses and ferries. Now you'll be able to stay or leave the beach when you want.

Do you know about the "Bermuda" board under the "port of call" section of the threads? You can find great info there.

Enjoy your cruise!

Take the BUS! My wife and I went our second day on the island and were at the beach from 9am - 3:30. Do yourself a huge favor and take the 1st bus. I believe it was 8:10 or 8:20 am. Is also the local bus, so if your not close to 1st in line you want get on and have to wait until the next bus which I think is at 9:00am. The ride to the beach was about 35 minutes

The joy for me about going to Bermuda is that this is the place you can totally plan your own excursions--no rushing to get this place on time and/or leaving when you want more time (or having to stay when you are totally miserable). And of course you can save a lot of money by planning them yourself. Bermuda is a great place for tourists--youa re not in a place where youa re likely to get "ripped off" or wander into something unsafe (I mean anything CAN happen, even on a ship excursio, but in general)

Go to the ports board and read up on Bermuda and you will find out everything you need to know to plan your own trips, how to get there etc.

Half of the fun is planning what when and how you will do the different things.

... That doesn't seem enough time for $65 pp.

We are going on the Dawn at the end of Aug, and we are wondering about the same things. A stay of 4.5 hours might be more than some could take and 2.5 might be just enough. For beach fans, 10 hours might be just enough. Another factor that might influence your time on the beach is the weather. Hit and miss showers [downpours] are typical daily weather events.

We are less concerned by the length time than the arrival times. We like to get to the beach very early and leave around peak sun time. The excursion times are not a great fit for us. Other threads talk about taxi rates to and from HB to the ship. They are about the same as the excursion price, perhaps a bit more.

The buses are cheaper, and run frequently. We were in St. George the last time we cruised to Bermuda and got a 3 day pass. We found the buses to the western side to the eastern side [even with transfers in Hamilton] adequate. I believe they are around $4/person.

We are beach folk and plan three days at the beach. On day one we get in at 11:30am, and will take the 1:30 excursion to/from HB. If we want to be there for more, or less time, we will return by cab or bus. On day two we think we will go to Warwick Long Bay by bus early in the AM. [stonehole is just over the dune.] On the third day we are thinking of going to Daniel's Head Beach by cab.

Hi,

We took the taxi for 25$ for the four of us and it DOES bring you all the way down to the beach.

With the bus, you have to walk all the way down to the beach or take a private bus for an other 2$ to go down.

And when you want to leave you have ( don't have to, but what a hike up :mad: ) to take the private bus again for 2$, then the bus all the way to the ship.

Save time and money and take a taxi and you might just get someone friendly and do a little sightseeing at the same time.

And yes for us 3 hours was enough at the beach...... a lot to see in so little time :)

HAVE FUN

We are huge fans of Horseshoe beach and we take the #7 bus each and every time. We like to get there early and return to the ship around 5pm ish. We enjoy a good breakfast before leaving the ship , if we get hungry at the beach they have food / beverages avaiable . If not we have a late lunch onboard and an even later dinner.

We plan on spending 2 full days when we go in october. Our favorite place to be ! Nothing like Horseshoe beach .

We are planning on the early bus to HSB, then want to beach hop to Warwick. Does it make more sense to do the beaches in order to Warwick, or to take the trail all the way to Warwick, then beach hop back to HSB? We are planning on the bus back to the ship in the afternoon.

We are planning on the early bus to HSB, then want to beach hop to Warwick. Does it make more sense to do the beaches in order to Warwick, or to take the trail all the way to Warwick, then beach hop back to HSB? We are planning on the bus back to the ship in the afternoon.

The last time we were in Bermuda we walked HSB to Warwick. Then, 15 years ago, there was no beach to walk along as we got close to Chaplin Bay. We had to go over a steep "dune" to continue the walk. I think at some point you will need to find a path. Check google earth; it looks the same today.

Check out this link. It has good info on HSB and other beaches in the area including a Google map.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1445059

Has anyone called for a cab at the beach to get back to the ship?

there are cabs at the bottom of the hill at the beach exit - be careful though, the cab drivers did not adhere to a queue line in the 3 different years we went and they can get nasty with each other, just play dumb and get in a cab after asking how much. it always ended up being worth the $25 fare. (we always take the pink bus to get there and walk down the hill but we get so beach-tired we cant bother with the bus afterwards!).

enjoy!

Take the local bus to give you flexibility. You have so much time in Bermuda the bus is the perfect way to get around and see the whole island, If you like to snorkel then get off the bus at Church Bay which is before Horseshoe Bay.

The hill leading from Horseshoe Bay to South Shore Road is not that steep and a great way to burn off a few calories. A minivan shuttle does offer rides up and down for $2 but many people walk the 800yds up the hill.

Just went to HSB last month :D and I can be 100% sure when I say DO NOT BOOK the excursion. ;) Go on the BUS!

I went back and forth on these boards for weeks before I left, trying to figure out if I should book the $24 pp excursion to HSB and I can now say NO. :)

We are going back to Bermuda on the Gem in October and I have all the confidence in the world to take the bus again.

The prices are $12 pp for one day ($20pp for 2 day pass) - CASH. You simply step off the ship and the ticket booth is right outside the gate. Can't miss it. There are 3 of them.

I bought my bus pass and walked straight to the first bus and said "This the bus to Horse Shoe Bay?" and he said "Yep, get on" :)

Well, that was easy.

25 minutes later I was at Horse Shoe Bay.

When I was ready to come back to the ship - I paid the guy to ride back up the hill (it's a steep walk back up $2 - only a few blocks - "Best $2 You're Gonna Spend In Bermuda" but it's steep and it was hot)

And he said to me "There is your express bus back to the ship"

Well, again, that was easy. :D

25 minutes later - again. I was at the ship.

*one tip -- BRING CASH -- I kept trying to see people use credit cards to eat at the beach -- they only take cash. But there is a snack bar. And of course, they have a nice changing facility and restrooms (very nice)

Thanks everyone for the information. I guess I will NOT book the shore excursion and take the bus to HSB.

For those who have gone snorkeling at Church Bay, do they rent snorkel equipment at the beach?? Is Church Bay the best place to go snorkeling??

CC member Paul from Maryland wrote this about Church Bay: ...Church Bay is a south shore beach with good snorkeling but pretty stiff currents and a treacherous rocky bottom…..

and CC member Sousak78 had this to write about CB: ….The beach itself is quite small …….you can see some cool things by exploring the tide pools! I'd only recommend snorkelling there if you are a strong swimmer…

YouTube video of CB:

I think the most popular snorkeling beach with the tourists is Tobacco Bay which is close to St George which requires a 45 minute ferry ride plus about a 20 minute walk or short taxi ride to get to. TB is shallow and well protected plus there is a concession stand there.

YouTube video TB:

SBtS

So basicly, there is absolutly no advantages to book through NCL since we have 3 full days to navigate through all possibilities!

In Bermuda, no, none that I have been able to figure out. I know people will say "They will hold the ship for you!" Well, guess what, look at your watch, keep it on the time that the captain says, and don't be late. Be early. :D

And if not, we will all be yelling at you from the ship while you race to get back on. ;) :p

Thanks everyone for the information. I guess I will NOT book the shore excursion and take the bus to HSB.

For those who have gone snorkeling at Church Bay, do they rent snorkel equipment at the beach?? Is Church Bay the best place to go snorkeling??

I found the snorkeling to be best at Tobacco Bay in St George. They do have equipment for rent. They also have rentals at HSB, but you will see more fish at either the the snorkle park or TB. I haven't been to Church Bay yet, but maybe next year:)

Bermuda is awesome.....we never book excursions.....get the 2 or 3 day transit pass....it covers all travel on the pink buses and the ferries...you can navigate about the island at your schedule....well worth the $$

Tobacco Bay in St George is fantastic....its more of a lagoon, great area for snorkeling....I recommend taking the ferry from Kings Warf over to St George, check the schedule as it does not run often....I think one trip early in the morning and one trip back in the late afternoon, but that could just be the time of year we go (late Sept, early Oct)....its nice to take the ferry over and take the bus back....when you get off the bus or ferry in St George, it is a little bit of a hike to TB, or for a couple bucks you can grab a taxi...but its a nice walk and you will pass the unfinished cathedral on the way, which is a nice stop and also a nice photo op...also, if you have time and are adventurous, you can walk alittle further to St Catherines, which is another beach, there is also a fort there...I love to go to that beach and get seaglass....you can walk or taxi there...

Most of the buses go right into the bus station in Hamilton, where you will hop on another bus to your destination....or you can walk down to the waterfront and catch the ferry that goes straight back to Kings Wharf...(and you can take the ferry from Kings Wharf directly to Hamilton)...

Another 'don't miss' destination is the Aquarium/Zoo/Museum (all in one)...for $10pp it is a fabulous way to spend an afternoon, bus stops right in front...the aquarium is small, but fun...the museum is very interesting (the history of Bermuda and how the island was formed) and the zoo is very nice, mostly open air style exhibits....

There are some (well, were) very cute shops in St George, but now that very few ships port there, they may be suffering, but check it out....

Also, find out which night they are having the 'street fair' and where....it used to be Tuesdays in St George, but I think they have it in other places on different nights.....they have local dancers to entertain you and local artists selling their crafts....

We are going back there this fall....this will be our 3rd trip and there is still so much that we havent seen or done....this year I would like to tour some of the forts and check out some of the lighthouses...go to turtle bay....oh, just so much............enjoy!!

I would agree with what everyone has said about taking the bus. It is convenient, safe, and inexpensive. We bring our own snorkel equipment, nothing special, just $25 sets. My kids and I have used the same sets for three years now, worth buying and packing in the suitcase!

We spent a 3-4 hours at Horseshoe last 1-day stop at Bermuda, but last week we were there for 3 days with Princess and decided not to got to overcrowded beach.

3 day pass is worth every cent. You can get to any beaches, cities by bus or ferry

This time around we picked Warwick Long Bay, Jacob's Cove and Chaplin bay.. all next to each other. It was much better choice, they are much closer to the road, not many people (at Chaplin we were almost alone).

Warwick

2725148410107231099S600x600Q85.jpg

Chaplin

2714156970107231099S600x600Q85.jpg

2618056040107231099S600x600Q85.jpg

Beware of Portuguese Man of War. My husband was stung by it, he hasn't realized that it was not a kid toy... and touched it. Yuck. But the same happened at Horseshoe to another girl, plus we saw this creature in St George too.

We spent a 3-4 hours at Horseshoe last 1-day stop at Bermuda, but last week we were there for 3 days with Princess and decided not to got to overcrowded beach.

3 day pass is worth every cent. You can get to any beaches, cities by bus or ferry

This time around we picked Warwick Long Bay, Jacob's Cove and Chaplin bay.. all next to each other. It was much better choice, they are much closer to the road, not many people (at Chaplin we were almost alone).

Warwick

Chaplin

Beware of Portuguese Man of War. My husband was stung by it, he hasn't realized that it was not a kid toy... and touched it. Yuck. But the same happened at Horseshoe to another girl, plus we saw this creature in St George too.

Warwick is my favorite - so quiet and relaxing.

OMG Tatka....your pictures are BEAUTIFUL. I can honestly say I don't know how I'm gonna make it thru the next 33 days...lol

If you have more pictures, I'd love to see them.

At this point, I'm not sure which beaches we should visit...they all sound so great :D!

Just out of curiosity, are there lifeguards at any of the beaches or is it swim at your own risk? We have a 10 year old with us who is a terrific swimmer and we won't take our eyes off of him for a second, but you can never be too careful.

Warwick

Chaplin

Archived