Insurance question - pre-existing condtion

DaveOKC

You're right. The company I use covers preexisting conditions as long as you buy the policy within 21 days of paying your cruise deposit.

You just have to purchase it within 7-21 days (depending on policy) of putting down your FIRST trip deposit.
HAL Platinum CPP, which is cancel-for-any-reason and covers pre-existing, can now be purchased right up until the day the cancellation penalties start - usually 75 days out. In fact you even can buy it if you do your initial/final-payment booking within the penalty period.

We usually buy this when we are sailing out of a FL port and have no airfare or hotel expenses to cover, because we don't need an excusable reason to cancel if we choose.

Our son has type I diabetes and has been on insulin 7 years. We use Travelguard and were told if he has been on the same treatment plan and remained stable, it would not be treated as a preexisting condition.

Enjoy your cruise!

You may want to double check this. I've never seen diabetes get an exemption when it comes to insurance. Also, any accident or injury will involve the diabetes (dosages, recovery, etc) so it will be part of the treatment and is pre-existing. Just something to consider..........

While these boards are very helpfuly I wouldn't rely on a message board to determine what actually is a pre-existing condition.

Exactly...always check with the insurance company itself. And call more than once and talk with different people. As we all know, customer service reps today often don't know all they should.

HAL Platinum CPP, which is cancel-for-any-reason and covers pre-existing, can now be purchased right up until the day the cancellation penalties start - usually 75 days out. In fact you even can buy it if you do your initial/final-payment booking within the penalty period.

We usually buy this when we are sailing out of a FL port and have no airfare or hotel expenses to cover, because we don't need an excusable reason to cancel if we choose.

I haven't looked into it, but people on this forum say medical is only $10,000. DO you know how much for medical evacuation?

Not sure about HAL but a Princess cruiser said their policy did not cover delays due to mechanical problems on airplanes. (They would give you some kind of cruise credit).

Someone recently posted that the HAL insurance did not offer coverage if your traveling companion had to cancel. So, if your companion cancels, you are then responsible to pay for the full cabin. Like I said, I have not read their policy, but am just reporting what I have read here. The more I read the more I stay convinced I will buy my insurance independently. The way I buy my insurance, by adding more coverage as we make more payments, I would not incur a big loss if I cancelled before final payment.

...... The more I read the more I stay convinced I will buy my insurance independently. The way I buy my insurance, by adding more coverage as we make more payments, I would not incur a big loss if I cancelled before final payment.

I totally agree. That's another reason we wait until just prior to final payment to purchase. If we decide to cancel or change cruises, I don't want to be out several hundred $$ in insurance premium. I've never had to find out if the premium is transferable (and don't want to). But why should it be? When I buy life insurance, it's not transferable to another life, is it? Neither is car or homeowner's insurance. As the insured, I am transferable to a new agent in a new state, but State Farm is writing a new policy for my new car or new home. So why should I expect travel insurance to be transferable from one adventure to another? I shouldn't, really.

And thanks, xxoocruiser, for providing the squaremouth.com name. I knew there was another site, besides insuremytrip.com, for comparing insurance products. I knew it had "mouth" in the name but couldn't remember the exact name. Thanks, too, to vbmom, for the insurancestore.com site. I'll be checking out all 3 this week. Final payment is due Monday next. :)

DaveOKC - How did it work out for you today?

I haven't looked into it, but people on this forum say medical is only $10,000. DO you know how much for medical evacuation?
$50,000

Someone recently posted that the HAL insurance did not offer coverage if your traveling companion had to cancel.
Someone was wrong. You can cancel for ANY reason, no questions asked, right up to sailing time.

SECTION I

Cancel for Any Reason Waiver

Provided by Holland America Line

You may cancel for any reason prior to the scheduled cruise/cruisetour departure and receive reimbursement equal to 90% of the eligible amounts paid to Holland America.

We have transferred independently bought travel insurance on three occasions. We did the transfer each time within the pre-existing time frame and the the pre-existing transferred. It actually stated this on the confirmation for the transfer. The only catch is you have to pay for additional coverage if the trip costs more and you aren't refunded if the trip costs less.

I just paid over $600 for insurance yesterday for a 2013 cruise. (We wanted a certain room). My husband definitely has pre-existing and frankly, I'm not sure that we will be able to do this cruise. But as of today we can and I just look at the insurance money as part of the cruise fare. If we are able to cruise then, I am happy we are covered for whatever might happen. This was through Access America, by the way. Have used them for years and very happy. We have made claims for canceled cruises and medical issues while on the ship.

How many here write only medical and evacuation coverage and do not insure for cancellation?

That's us. We have separate (annual) medical and evacuation policies that cover us globally, and in all our cruises we have only twice insured for cancellation. Both times it was because the cost of the cruise was more than we were willing to lose.

Normally, it's worth the risk to us, as we have saved enough in premiums to pay for additional cruises. If we lose out one day, we figure we're still ahead. I know everyone considers insurance differently - but this works for us.

That is what we have done for about our last 60 cruises. Until recently, we only purchased evacuation coverage as our health insurance was global but lately we've added medical coverage. The savings in premiums has been huge.... literally tens of thousands of dollars as premium is based on price of cruise We certainly hope we don't have to, but even if we had to cancel a cruise at this point, we'd still be very much ahead. Of course, the real risk is the first 5 or 6 cruises when you don't insure for cancellation. After that, you are ahead $$ wise.

That is what we have done for about our last 60 cruises. Until recently, we only purchased evacuation coverage as our health insurance was global but lately we've added medical coverage. The savings in premiums has been huge.... literally tens of thousands of dollars as premium is based on price of cruise We certainly hope we don't have to, but even if we had to cancel a cruise at this point, we'd still be very much ahead. Of course, the real risk is the first 5 or 6 cruises when you don't insure for cancellation. After that, you are ahead $$ wise.

I have thought about it, and the savings are definitely significant. However, we don't travel often, and for us to lose the full cost of a trip would be significant in our budget. So, for now we do cover the full cost. However, I will continue to reevaluate.

I totally agree. That's another reason we wait until just prior to final payment to purchase. If we decide to cancel or change cruises, I don't want to be out several hundred $$ in insurance premium. I've never had to find out if the premium is transferable (and don't want to). But why should it be? When I buy life insurance, it's not transferable to another life, is it? Neither is car or homeowner's insurance. As the insured, I am transferable to a new agent in a new state, but State Farm is writing a new policy for my new car or new home. So why should I expect travel insurance to be transferable from one adventure to another? I shouldn't, really.

And thanks, xxoocruiser, for providing the squaremouth.com name. I knew there was another site, besides insuremytrip.com, for comparing insurance products. I knew it had "mouth" in the name but couldn't remember the exact name. Thanks, too, to vbmom, for the insurancestore.com site. I'll be checking out all 3 this week. Final payment is due Monday next. :)

DaveOKC - How did it work out for you today?

Sunshine91 - I ended up purchasing private medical insurance only. I figured that we are close enough to departure that we would not cancel for any reason and even if we did I could get a good chunk of it back unless it was very close to departure. Since I am semi-retired, I do not have to worry about the company causing me to cancel, like in the old days.

DaveOKC

That's us. We have separate (annual) medical and evacuation policies that cover us globally, and in all our cruises we have only twice insured for cancellation. Both times it was because the cost of the cruise was more than we were willing to lose.

Normally, it's worth the risk to us, as we have saved enough in premiums to pay for additional cruises. If we lose out one day, we figure we're still ahead. I know everyone considers insurance differently - but this works for us.

Where do you find annual global medical and evacuation policies?

also: http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/ (They have many, many articles to link to that will explain the ins and outs of travel insurance. Excellent reference!)

This is a great site. Thank you for recommending it. Unfortunately, back to my original questions as to whether a "pre-existing condition" can exist based solely on the results of a blood test and before the condition has actually been diagnosed, I am afraid the advice for further consultation comes under that heading. Note:

"If the person with the condition has any symptoms, appointment or visit or consultation with a medical professional, test, diagnosis, medication adjustment or change, then a pre-existing condition exists."

The only companies that will waive the pre-existing up to the final payment, according to tripinsurance.com, have a 180-day look-back period. The other require the waiver within so many days of initial payment. And, if I am reading the site correctly, there are no companies listed therein that permit you to cancel "for any reason" except within a short time after the initial deposit.

Since we are taking a 21-day trip, we may take the insurance. I hate to be out this much money if one of us becomes medically unable to travel for other than a pre-existing conditon. This site really needs to be read by anyone who is thinking about possible cancellation policies. It is so helpful.

This is a great site. Thank you for recommending it. Unfortunately, back to my original questions as to whether a "pre-existing condition" can exist based solely on the results of a blood test and before the condition has actually been diagnosed, I am afraid the advice for further consultation comes under that heading. Note:

"If the person with the condition has any symptoms, appointment or visit or consultation with a medical professional, test, diagnosis, medication adjustment or change, then a pre-existing condition exists."

The only companies that will waive the pre-existing up to the final payment, according to tripinsurance.com, have a 180-day look-back period. The other require the waiver within so many days of initial payment. And, if I am reading the site correctly, there are no companies listed therein that permit you to cancel "for any reason" except within a short time after the initial deposit.

Since we are taking a 21-day trip, we may take the insurance. I hate to be out this much money if one of us becomes medically unable to travel for other than a pre-existing conditon. This site really needs to be read by anyone who is thinking about possible cancellation policies. It is so helpful.

Try calling or using the live chat on the tripinsurancestore website. I prefer live chat, because after your conversation, you can print it out and/or email it to yourself.

As I mentioned above, you can just insure your initial deposits. As you pay for additional expenses, you can add on the additional insurance. Key is to make sure you add within the timeframe required for either the cancel for any reason or the pre-existing conditions. I just don't want to take any chances with pre-existing conditions, so we always purchase within the required number of days.

I am glad you found the site helpful. It is definitely a busy looking site. I wish they would redo it. However, if you keep clicking on the various links, you will find so much information.

Below is a link to an article I found interesting that is unrelated to cruising. However, the main reason I am posting it, is so you or someone else could take advantage of the "search" box on the right side. I find many articles very quickly here without having to graze all over the website. The article makes an interesting read though. Another example of why it is so important to become a well-informed traveler and purchaser of insurance:

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/blog/do-prepaid-trip-costs-have-to-be-paid-before-you-leave-on-your-trip/

I have an interesting dilemma and I'm hoping that you Insurance mavin's can help me with it.......I have a Working Dog, she's been on 14 cruises and I have an upcoming cruise on September 24th.

Here's the dilemma: My Service Dog will be retiring soon and the next "matching" for a "Successor Dog" [this is a younger dog who will be replacing her and she will then retire and stay home with my retired DH] is on September 19th. It's a two week training and pairing class; graduation is set for September 30th [my cruise is leaving on Sept. 24th, not to return to port until Oct. 1st.] The cruise is all paid for and I did purchase Cruise Insurance.

When I initially booked this cruise, over one year ago, my Working Dog was not showing symptoms of her age [11 years].......within a 6 month period she is exhibiting "refusals" to work and to travel. She wants to rest and sleep for longer periods, just like any human who is 77 years old.

My question: Has anyone ever encountered or know of anyone who had to cancel a cruise for reasons of their Service Dog Training class? And, do any of you expect that I will run into any difficulties in getting my money refunded?

Remember: Service Dogs are protected by the Dept. of Justice and the ADA. They are covered by Federal Law.

If I'm not invited to attend the class on September 19th, I will definitely take the cruise albeit with a slower Working Dog and I'll wait to be invited to attend another class in January of 2012. I won't know if I'm considered to the September class until the middle or end of August.

Right now, I'm not saying anything to my cruise carrier until I hear from my service org.

I would truly appreciate hearing from anyone with the answers or any good suggestions.

I think that your dog is covered as a component of your condition(s) and treatment. It will require your Doctor to note that you need to be at that training in order to meet your medical needs. I'm NOT an insurance person so ultimately they have the final say. It would also seem that the training center should have an idea who is coming to the training--or at least who is on the initial list and confirmed. Good Luck!

I think that your dog is covered as a component of your condition(s) and treatment. It will require your Doctor to note that you need to be at that training in order to meet your medical needs. I'm NOT an insurance person so ultimately they have the final say. It would also seem that the training center should have an idea who is coming to the training--or at least who is on the initial list and confirmed. Good Luck!

Thank you for your suggestion. The training center; Canine Companions for Independence, has not made their decision and my pushing them would not be to my advantage.

I get the sense that this would be a very unique situation for any insurance company to deal with. We'll see what happens.

Where do you find annual global medical and evacuation policies?

I've looked into these policies; however, note that they only cover medical and evacuation. I haven't found any annual plans that cover cancellation or delay, which makes sense given the variety of costs of trips some may take.

Thanks--I see that the medjet seems to be limited to evacuation and not for medical coverage. I assume that most yearly policies are like that and do not cover medical, but do cover evacuation/repatriation. If I'm wrong and someone has companies that do medical travel coverage for a year at a time--I'd like to know!

It is possible AmEx Platinum may sell such a policy but we do not have it and I have not carefully researched it. I seem to recall reading or hearing about one though so it might be worth your time to look at their website or call.

Also, re: MedJetAssist...... Please keep in mind, they do not evacuate from a ship. They will transport you from the first port you reach. We have had that policy for years and only last year learned this.. That could be a very costly lesson to learn.

Archived