Insurance question - pre-existing condtion

DaveOKC

Some of the medical coverages in cruise insurance do not cover "pre-existing" conditions. I know that this does not relate to the HAL coverage.

Anyway, if I take blood pressure medication to keep my pressure at a normal level, and I had a heart attack or similiar problem on a cruise, would I be covered or would this be considered a "pre-existing" condition?

DaveOKC

I've wondered about this too. I think if you have had a heart attack or a blockage that required surgery/angioplasty then you have a pre-existing condition, but high blood pressure in and of itself does not constitute such a condition.

If you don't get an answer here from somebody that really knows, I suggest that you buy insurance with the pre-existing coverage. :) (I have stents, so I always buy it.)

DH had a heart attack in 2000 -- the surgeon was only able to get 1 of 2 stents in -- then in 2006 he had to have another heart procedure which was unsucessful.

All this according to insuance companies that we have talked to since 2000 is considered "pre-existing" -- and thus for years we have had to pay really high premiums to cover him.

All this according to insuance companies that we have talked to since 2000 is considered "pre-existing" --

Yes, but what about high blood pressure alone if no attacks or surgery or procedures have occurred? That's what the OP and I would like to know.

As long as you purchase the coverage within the time span for pre-existing conditions to be covered, then wouldn't you be covered in the event you became ill during the pendancy of the policy?

I have pre-existing condition and am certain to get the policy within the set number of days after placing first deposit.

Unfortunately, when push comes to shove it usually doesn't go in your favor without pre-existing coverage. Example: You have high blood pressure and have a heart 'incident' you've never had before---the oweness would be on your doctors (and you) vs insurance company to show that whatever happened had no association with your high blood pressure. That is nigh impossible to do..........Best deal is to buy insurance with pre-existing coverage. You are covered within the limits of the policy.

DH had a heart attack in 2000 -- the surgeon was only able to get 1 of 2 stents in -- then in 2006 he had to have another heart procedure which was unsucessful.

All this according to insuance companies that we have talked to since 2000 is considered "pre-existing" -- and thus for years we have had to pay really high premiums to cover him.

:confused:

My premiums are no higher for purchasing insurance during the time limit set by the insurer. As long as you purchase within stated number of days after first deposit, the premium is the same but includes pre-existing condition. Each time I buy the coverage, they always say, 'You are within the time limit for pre-existing condition coverage'. No difference in the premium.

Yes, but what about high blood pressure alone if no attacks or surgery or procedures have occurred? That's what the OP and I would like to know.

My understanding is that if the meds have your HBP under control, then it's not a pre-existing condition should you have a complication. But that may be one company's definition, and others may define it differently. There is variation even between policies written by the same company. Read all the policy carefully. To be safe, why not buy the insurance within the stated term of "x" days within booking?

You'd have to check with the individual insurance providers and also find out how long they look back for preexisting conditions. Also keep in mind that preexisting conditions often apply to non-traveling family members. Thus, if my aging mother has a condition that would force us to cancel the trip that existed 2-6 months prior to buying the insurance, the cancellation wouldn't be covered.

In your case, if your BP is stable and has been so with medication for quite some time, you're probably okay. However, each company defines preexisting differently and this may be a case where you purchase within 14-21 days to ensure you have the preexisting condition waiver or you talk to a broker.

But my point is IF YOU BOOK WITHIN PRESCRIBED NUMBER OF DAYS after you place your deposit, you are INSURED FOR PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS. Each company has their own rule as to by how long after your deposit you have in order to write the coverage but if you comply, you are covered for pre-existing conditions.

Doesn't matter length of 'look back'....... if you write your insurance per their terms to comply with deadline for writing the policy to cover pre-existing, look back makes no difference.

I think a simple issue is getting complicated in this thread.

Follow the deadlines established by whichever insurance policy you are writing.

Thanks to all for their input. I am meeting with the TA tomorrow and now can ask the important questions. My BP has been under control for several years now and I never had a heart attack, so hopefully that will not be an issue. I am just outside of the final payment date and looking at non-HAL insurance that does not cover pre-existing coverage, so that was my question.

DaveOKC

But my point is IF YOU BOOK WITHIN PRESCRIBED NUMBER OF DAYS after you place your deposit, you are INSURED FOR PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS. Each company has their own rule as to by how long after your deposit you have in order to write the coverage but if you comply, you are covered for pre-existing conditions.

Doesn't matter length of 'look back'....... if you write your insurance per their terms to comply with deadline for writing the policy to cover pre-existing, look back makes no difference.

I think a simple issue is getting complicated in this thread.

Follow the deadlines established by whichever insurance policy you are writing.

You're right. The company I use covers preexisting conditions as long as you buy the policy within 21 days of paying your cruise deposit.

Thanks to all for their input. I am meeting with the TA tomorrow and now can ask the important questions. My BP has been under control for several years now and I never had a heart attack, so hopefully that will not be an issue. I am just outside of the final payment date and looking at non-HAL insurance that does not cover pre-existing coverage, so that was my question.

DaveOKC

Please, please, do not trust what your TA says. Always call the insurance company itself. Most TAs really don't understand trip insurance.

Like others above, we just purchase the insurance in the time frame required for pre-existing coverage to be included. Also as mentioned above, it does not cost us a penny more to get pre-existing coverage. You just have to purchase it within 7-21 days (depending on policy) of putting down your FIRST trip deposit.

At one time I was told that if your blood pressure was under control the day you put down your first trip deposit, it would not be considered a pre-existing condition. However, policies change from year to year, so I would definitely check out the insurance carrier to be sure. Also, pre-exisiting conditions is not just for you. It means for any immediate family member. Might even mean your traveling companion, but I would verify that. If a parent, child, sibling, etc. has a pre-existing condition and you end up needing to cancel your vacation because something happens to them, if you don't have pre-existing coverage, you will not be reimbursed for losses if you cancel. We just buy the insurance within the time frame to be covered. I figured I may not even be aware of all the health conditions of my relatives. Just gives me peace of mind.

I know a lot of people don't like the idea of buying the insurance early because if they do cancel the trip, they lose the cost of the insurance. What I do is add insurance as I make more plans. For example, I may just insurance the cruise to start. (You just have to insure the deposit at that point) Then when I buy airfare, I will increase my coverage. When I purchase excursions, once again I will add coverage. When final payment is due, once again I add coverage. (HOwever, for pre-existing conditions to be covered, you must call and add the additional coverage within the same required number of days as your original purchase.) So if your plan required you to buy the insurance within 14 days of your first trip deposit, when you add an excursion/flights/final payment, you would have to call and increase your insurance with the same 14 days of purchasing that excursion.

I know a lot of people don't like the idea of buying the insurance early because if they do cancel the trip, they lose the cost of the insurance. What I do is add insurance as I make more plans. For example, I may just insurance the cruise to start. (You just have to insure the deposit at that point) Then when I buy airfare, I will increase my coverage. When I purchase excursions, once again I will add coverage. When final payment is due, once again I add coverage. (HOwever, for pre-existing conditions to be covered, you must call and add the additional coverage within the same required number of days as your original purchase.) So if your plan required you to buy the insurance within 14 days of your first trip deposit, when you add an excursion/flights/final payment, you would have to call and increase your insurance with the same 14 days of purchasing that excursion.

Never thought of doing it that way - actually I didn't know you could. :confused: I've just ever liked insuring a cruise when we have no idea what the final cost is going to be. And when we're onboard, we generally put down the $100/pp generic deposit that later goes towards an actual cruise.

At the end of this week our final payment is due for our Oct trans-Atlantic Noordam cruise. We booked it in the spring of 2010, so it will have been close to 18 months prior to sailing. We had no idea what airfare, land accommodations, or other additional expenses might be. Now that we've booked some of those other items, we have a much better idea of what the total cost is going to be. :eek:

Back when we were young & stupid, we just bought HAL's policy. Once I discovered CC, I also learned about insuremytrip.com. There are a couple of companies that offer insurance up until final payment date, with waiver of pre-existing condition. We've purchased insurance from the same company several times - haven't ever filed a claim, so I can't comment about that, but the prices are comparable & communication is quite satisfactory.

DaveOKC - Just a calculated opinion, but I spent 15 years in employee benefits. Using your example, I would consider HBP a pre-existing condition for a heart attack. Doesn't matter if it's controlled with meds. That diagnosis is in an insured's medical history. The insurance company will want medical documentation as to why the cruise was cancelled/interrupted - & will see that the insured has been taking meds, so will know that the diagnosis was there. Won't matter how long it's been "well controlled." Bottom line, insurance companies aren't there for us. They are in business to make money. :rolleyes:

Read the insurance info. Check the details. From what I have read, most insurance companies state that if you purchase their insurance within a specified number of days after you have placed your initial deposit, you will be covered for pre-existing conditions as long as you are able to travel on the day you purchase the insurance. If you buy after that time period pre-existing is usually defined as conditions existing existing 60 or 120 days prior, depending on the insurance company.

But almost all write that if a condition is being controlled by medication which remains constant dosage (e.g. high blood pressure), this will not be counted as a pre-existing condition.

There have been in the past, and perhaps still, two companies, CSA and HTH (T?) which sell before the final payment without pre-existing condition exclusions, but they may have changed.

HAL now sells policies which will pay for cancellation for any reason. Check them out.

In any case, it is totally your responsibility to read carefully all policy statements for knowledge of you coverage.

Bob :cool:

I have controlled HBP but buy insurance for Pre Existing Conditions per Travel Guard's advice that was given several years ago. Same goes for DH who takes meds for high Cholesterol. Better safe than sorry.

Cheers, Denise

Never thought of doing it that way - actually I didn't know you could. :confused: I've just ever liked insuring a cruise when we have no idea what the final cost is going to be. And when we're onboard, we generally put down the $100/pp generic deposit that later goes towards an actual cruise.

For the last several years, I have been buying my insurance through the tripinsurancestore. They are the ones who told me I only have to insure what expenses I have currently paid for. Of course if you want pre-existing coverage you have to be very vigilant about calling within the required days for that the pre-existing coverage to still be valid.

Of course, I highly recommend everyone verify this with whatever insurance they are going to purchase. Stuff changes and you don't want to be misled. Just like with our own home owner's insurance and car insurance policies, the coverages change from year to year. You must always stay on top of things. I love the tripinsurancestore. I have learned so much from the staff there and their website. Like I said, they are the ones who told me I am free to insure everything from day one, or I can do the adding as I do purchase additional parts of my trip.

I have controlled HBP but buy insurance for Pre Existing Conditions per Travel Guard's advice that was given several years ago. Same goes for DH who takes meds for high Cholesterol. Better safe than sorry.

Cheers, Denise

Exactly how I feel.

There have been in the past, and perhaps still, two companies, CSA and HTH (T?) which sell before the final payment without pre-existing condition exclusions, but they may have changed.

HAL now sells policies which will pay for cancellation for any reason. Check them out.

Yes, CSA still offers pre-existing conditions if you purchase Prior to or within 24 Hours of your making your final trip payment payment. I was looking at the cheaper CSA plan and it did not offer Coverage for Financial Default of your travel supplier. For this reason I looked elsewhere. Their more deluxe plan offered it, but I was not interested in that plan.

Most of the travel insurance companies now offer a cancel for any reason rider. Of course, for a price. ;)

Some of the medical coverages in cruise insurance do not cover "pre-existing" conditions. I know that this does not relate to the HAL coverage.

Anyway, if I take blood pressure medication to keep my pressure at a normal level, and I had a heart attack or similiar problem on a cruise, would I be covered or would this be considered a "pre-existing" condition?

DaveOKC

Travel Insurance policies generally state that any medical condition has a 180 day look-back period ( time may vary depending on policy insurer) prior to the date of the medical emergency to determine if there has been any prior treatment related to the medical emergency that would indemnify the insurance company from having to pay on the claim. Therefore the fact that you are currently taking a HP Medication qualifies as a pre-exisiting condition that will Not be covered in the event of a heart attack. Unless you specifically purchased the policy within a specified period of time ( generall 10-14 days ) to have all pre-existing conditions waived, the insurer has many ways to find loop holes to not have to pay the coverage.

Following are links to compare Travel Insurance Policies and to see which ones will waive pre-existing conditions if purchased within a specified time period.

http://www.squaremouth.com/

http://www.insuremytrip.com/

Following are links to compare Travel Insurance Policies and to see which ones will waive pre-existing conditions if purchased within a specified time period.

http://www.squaremouth.com/

http://www.insuremytrip.com/

also: http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/ (They have many, many articles to link to that will explain the ins and outs of travel insurance. Excellent reference!)

Cheers, Denise

I agree. If, God forbid, you are in a situation where you need the insurance, you do not need the additional hassle/stress of a fight with the insurance company.

I also vote for tripinsurancestore. They were very helpful on my hubby's trip to Israel and they also have some policies that are not shown on the more popular site. Great people and great service.

I agree with this. The agent I dealt with was so helpful and actually recommended a less expensive policy because we are insured for medical issues while out of the country. A couple weeks after purchasing the insurance the owner of tripinsurancestore called us to inquire if the service we received from his company was satisfactory.

Take a peek at this companies website. Many questions regarding travel insurance are answered in easy to understand language.

Our son has type I diabetes and has been on insulin 7 years. We use Travelguard and were told if he has been on the same treatment plan and remained stable, it would not be treated as a preexisting condition.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived