Insurance question - pre-existing condtion

DaveOKC

Thanks--I see that the medjet seems to be limited to evacuation and not for medical coverage. I assume that most yearly policies are like that and do not cover medical, but do cover evacuation/repatriation. If I'm wrong and someone has companies that do medical travel coverage for a year at a time--I'd like to know!

Look on Trip Advisor for the member fti. I believe I have read of him buying yearly plans that cover more than medical.

This is a great site. Thank you for recommending it. Unfortunately, back to my original questions as to whether a "pre-existing condition" can exist based solely on the results of a blood test and before the condition has actually been diagnosed, I am afraid the advice for further consultation comes under that heading. Note:

"If the person with the condition has any symptoms, appointment or visit or consultation with a medical professional, test, diagnosis, medication adjustment or change, then a pre-existing condition exists."

The only companies that will waive the pre-existing up to the final payment, according to tripinsurancestore.com, have a 180-day look-back period. The others require the waiver within so many days of initial payment. And, if I am reading the site correctly, there are no companies listed therein that permit you to cancel "for any reason" except within a short time after the initial deposit.

Since we are taking a 21-day trip, we may take the insurance. I hate to be out this much money if one of us becomes medically unable to travel for other than a pre-existing condition. This site really needs to be read by anyone who is thinking about possible cancellation policies. It is so helpful.

Hi Tampa Girl,

As you have already discovered, the fact that you have some medical condition based solely on the results of a blood test, even though there is no diagnosis as to what it is, means that you definitely need to get a trip cancellation plan that includes the pre-existing conditions waiver.

Along these lines, only in reference to the 5 companies you have found on www.tripinsurancestore.com, you don't have to wait until the condition is diagnosed to be able to qualify for the pre-existing conditions waiver.

What you will need is to be sure it's OK with your doctor that you are able to travel.

I hope this makes sense.

Steve Dasseos

Thanks--I see that the medjet seems to be limited to evacuation and not for medical coverage. I assume that most yearly policies are like that and do not cover medical, but do cover evacuation/repatriation. If I'm wrong and someone has companies that do medical travel coverage for a year at a time--I'd like to know!

Hi goodearth,

Medjet includes paying the cost for the medical services received during the transport, but not before or after it's completed.

And, there are Annual travel insurance plans that do cover medical travel coverage for a year at a time. You are only covered while on a trip and not for the in-between time you are at home.

In addition, Annual travel insurance plans do not cover pre-ex conditions.

Where do you live?

Steve Dasseos

What you will need is to be sure it's OK with your doctor that you are able to travel.

Steve Dasseos

Steve, do I understand you to mean that your doctor must agree that you are able to travel on the day you place your first trip deposit?

Steve, do I understand you to mean that your doctor must agree that you are able to travel on the day you place your first trip deposit?

Hi vbmom87,

No, the important day is the day you buy the insurance. Here's how I state it:

If the traveler has the pre-existing condition, they have to be medically able to travel when they get their travel insurance. Don't get a policy if you're being treated now (and can't currently travel), yet your doctor says you'll be able to travel later. You will not be covered at all.

Steve Dasseos

I have an interesting dilemma and I'm hoping that you Insurance mavin's can help me with it.......I have a Working Dog, she's been on 14 cruises and I have an upcoming cruise on September 24th.

Here's the dilemma: My Service Dog will be retiring soon and the next "matching" for a "Successor Dog" [this is a younger dog who will be replacing her and she will then retire and stay home with my retired DH] is on September 19th. It's a two week training and pairing class; graduation is set for September 30th [my cruise is leaving on Sept. 24th, not to return to port until Oct. 1st.] The cruise is all paid for and I did purchase Cruise Insurance.

When I initially booked this cruise, over one year ago, my Working Dog was not showing symptoms of her age [11 years].......within a 6 month period she is exhibiting "refusals" to work and to travel. She wants to rest and sleep for longer periods, just like any human who is 77 years old.

My question: Has anyone ever encountered or know of anyone who had to cancel a cruise for reasons of their Service Dog Training class? And, do any of you expect that I will run into any difficulties in getting my money refunded?

Remember: Service Dogs are protected by the Dept. of Justice and the ADA. They are covered by Federal Law.

If I'm not invited to attend the class on September 19th, I will definitely take the cruise albeit with a slower Working Dog and I'll wait to be invited to attend another class in January of 2012. I won't know if I'm considered to the September class until the middle or end of August.

Right now, I'm not saying anything to my cruise carrier until I hear from my service org.

I would truly appreciate hearing from anyone with the answers or any good suggestions.

Roz - Your situation is so specific to you that it's unlikely anyone who is reading this particular thread is going to have had this exact same dilemma. I know there are few other CC members w/service dogs, but that doesn't mean they've been in a pickle about taking a new-partner training school at the same time as a paid-for cruise.

I think what I would do is to get on one of the insurance websites, enter hypothetical cruise dates/costs & then request an instant chat. They can be anonymous. If they ask for a name, give them a fake one. Ask about your situation. There's no need for anyone to know that it's you. You are only seeking information, not a claims determination. Also, you'd be chatting w/someone from the website, not from your specific insurance company, which would ultimately be making the final decision. And of course, read your policy. :) It will detail for you the covered reasons for cancellation & reimbursement.

I must admit to a bit of curiosity, tho. If Brenda (that is her in the pic, right?) was exhibiting signs 6 months ago & you applied for a new partner, why not postpone the cruise until after training? Were there other reasons for taking this particular Sept cruise? Just my opinion, and of course hindsight is 20/20, but before final payment was due I would have thought long & hard about rescheduling this cruise so that Brenda wouldn't have to go; we wouldn't have lost any $$$; and that the new partner could start out with a great experience. Again, my thoughts only. You may have very valid reasons for taking this trip, perhaps its a group or family cruise? Sorry, I tend to get wordy. :o

I have an interesting dilemma and I'm hoping that you Insurance mavin's can help me with it.......I have a Working Dog, she's been on 14 cruises and I have an upcoming cruise on September 24th.

Here's the dilemma: My Service Dog will be retiring soon and the next "matching" for a "Successor Dog" [this is a younger dog who will be replacing her and she will then retire and stay home with my retired DH] is on September 19th. It's a two week training and pairing class; graduation is set for September 30th [my cruise is leaving on Sept. 24th, not to return to port until Oct. 1st.] The cruise is all paid for and I did purchase Cruise Insurance.

When I initially booked this cruise, over one year ago, my Working Dog was not showing symptoms of her age [11 years].......within a 6 month period she is exhibiting "refusals" to work and to travel. She wants to rest and sleep for longer periods, just like any human who is 77 years old.

My question: Has anyone ever encountered or know of anyone who had to cancel a cruise for reasons of their Service Dog Training class? And, do any of you expect that I will run into any difficulties in getting my money refunded?

Remember: Service Dogs are protected by the Dept. of Justice and the ADA. They are covered by Federal Law.

If I'm not invited to attend the class on September 19th, I will definitely take the cruise albeit with a slower Working Dog and I'll wait to be invited to attend another class in January of 2012. I won't know if I'm considered to the September class until the middle or end of August.

Right now, I'm not saying anything to my cruise carrier until I hear from my service org.

I would truly appreciate hearing from anyone with the answers or any good suggestions.

Hi wizard-of-roz,

As far as I know, there are no trip cancellation plans that cover you, as a covered reason, if you have to attend a Service Dog Training class. For future trips, you could get a plan with "Cancel For Any Reason".

I only know of one trip cancellation plan that covers service animals at all. Here's what its Certificate says:

For purposes of the Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption benefits, we will consider your service animal as a Traveling Companion in determining coverage and benefits, if your service animal is scheduled to travel with you.

Unfortunately, this plan is only available to insure a vacation rental property.

Steve Dasseos

Hi goodearth,

Medjet includes paying the cost for the medical services received during the transport, but not before or after it's completed.

And, there are Annual travel insurance plans that do cover medical travel coverage for a year at a time. You are only covered while on a trip and not for the in-between time you are at home.

Where do you live?

Steve Dasseos

Hi Steve--

You are a wealth of information! I'm familiar with the evacuation insurance, it was the yearly medical (traveling) I was curious about. You've already answered my questions.........It seems better to stick with individual policies for the best travel coverage (pre-existing coverage, medical while on trip-not just evacuation, and evacuation/repatriation). Thanks!

Hi Tampa Girl,

As you have already discovered, the fact that you have some medical condition based solely on the results of a blood test, even though there is no diagnosis as to what it is, means that you definitely need to get a trip cancellation plan that includes the pre-existing conditions waiver.

Along these lines, only in reference to the 5 companies you have found on www.tripinsurancestore.com, you don't have to wait until the condition is diagnosed to be able to qualify for the pre-existing conditions waiver.

I hope this makes sense.

Steve Dasseos

I agree. The problem is that we are way past the time for taking the waiver. We leave in October; hence, my concern. I don't think, even given the possible diagnosis, there is no problem in traveling. We should be fine. However, I think, given the expense of the trip, that we would consider an insurance policy, but it can be taken out no later than 48 hours before departure. Med evac is the biggest concern. OTOH, as someone has already pointed out, how do you get med evac'd from the middle of the Atlantic???

Hi goodearth,

Where do you live?

Steve Dasseos

It would be a big help to many of us if you named a company or two who sold medical travel insurance on an annual basis. My insurance agent has not found such a policy for us, therefore, I buy it for each trip.

I don't care about trip cancellation coverage.

Thanks if you can help.

FWIW, you are not going to get taken off the ship in the mid of the ocean. The ship will head for a port and you will be removed from the ship near or at the port. The ship's doctor will care for you until you leave the ship when it docks or gets close to a port (close enough for a boat or heli)

This happened on our cruise this winter and the ship changed course sailed to Grand Turk and made an unplanned stop there...the local dive boat with all sorts of medical personal on board came out for the passenger.

It was a 2 1/2 month cruise...~10 passengers had to be removed from the ship during the cruise, though most were at the first few ports.

Hi Steve--

You are a wealth of information! I'm familiar with the evacuation insurance, it was the yearly medical (traveling) I was curious about. You've already answered my questions.........It seems better to stick with individual policies for the best travel coverage (pre-existing coverage, medical while on trip-not just evacuation, and evacuation/repatriation). Thanks!

Hi goodearth,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm happy to know I helped you wade through the travel insurance minefield.

Steve Dasseos

Steve,

Someone posted that medical evacuation coverage does not cover evacuation from a cruiseship. Is this correct?

Thanks

Hi vbmom87,

Every plan's different, but the ones I trust all will evacuate / transport someone off a ship. However, it's the definition of what constitutes an "evacuation" / "transportation" that gets in the way of understanding how it works.

As cwn mentioned, you are not going to get taken off the ship in the middle of the ocean. That's because there's a limit to how far various aircraft can fly.

In addition, "evacuation" / "transportation" coverage doesn't guarantee it will be by air. It could be by a boat or ship, or while in port using a stretcher & ambulance.

In my opinion, the important part of the coverage has to do with where you will be taken.

Steve Dasseos

Our insurance covered my husband's sickness twice. He has an ongoing condition but it got worse before the cruise and we had to cancel. The doctor just said he was ok to travel when he booked. We never got any hassel out of them over that. I've always thought that pre-existing was something that would have kept you from travelling at the time you booked. With some illnesses, you are fine for months then you have a flare-up. I'm not sure about that, but they never asked any questions, just paid up and one of them was 5 days before sailing.

Steve,

Someone posted that medical evacuation coverage does not cover evacuation from a cruiseship. Is this correct?

Thanks

I know Medjet Assist WON'T. I found this info somewhere on their website so it's not a secret.

I know Medjet Assist WON'T. I found this info somewhere on their website so it's not a secret.

That is correct. I just called MedJet. They transport hospital to hospital. It would be necessary to go into port first and be taken to a hospital, admitted, and then MedJet evacuates. I'm not sure this is a big disadvantage, considering no evacuation can take place in the middle of the ocean. It does leave the cost of an ambulance to the hospital once in port, however.

I just called the USAA's policy holder, Travel Insured International. They do pick up by helicopter in the middle of the ocean! I kept asking her, are you sure? She said, definitely. Now, in practice, however . . . remains to be seen. Nonetheless, they do pick up off a ship. I don't know if a non-USAA policy with Travel Insured does this, but I assume that it probably would. For USAA policy holders, however, the rates are much better. I know who we are going to insure through!

I just called the USAA's policy holder, Travel Insured International. They do pick up by helicopter in the middle of the ocean! I kept asking her, are you sure? She said, definitely. Now, in practice, however . . . remains to be seen. Nonetheless, they do pick up off a ship. I don't know if a non-USAA policy with Travel Insured does this, but I assume that it probably would. For USAA policy holders, however, the rates are much better. I know who we are going to insure through!

Good to know that. Thanks. I'm going to look into it. I've been trying to decide if I would renew my medjet. This might be better.

Good to know that. Thanks. I'm going to look into it. I've been trying to decide if I would renew my medjet. This might be better.

MedJet is great, and much cheaper, if traveling by plane or on a port-intensive cruise, i.e. the Med or the Caribbean. But for a TA cruise, I think we will go with USAA.

The plans offered through the tripinsurance store are supposed to cover evacuation from the ship, however, it will depend on how far out in the open ocean you are. As mentioned above:

"As cwn mentioned, you are not going to get taken off the ship in the middle of the ocean. That's because there's a limit to how far various aircraft can fly.

In addition, "evacuation" / "transportation" coverage doesn't guarantee it will be by air. It could be by a boat or ship, or while in port using a stretcher & ambulance."

One of the reasons I don't want to take cruises with multiple days at sea is my concern of having a health issue when you are in the middle of the sea. Even though I'm not overly old you just never know what can happen.

One of the reasons I don't want to take cruises with multiple days at sea is my concern of having a health issue when you are in the middle of the sea.

That's a huge concern of mine. Imagine being 3-5 days from the nearest port and having a life-threatening emergency. It was bad enough when it happened at home and the rescue squad was 3-5 minutes away. Even scarier is being close to some of the ports I wouldn't want to be left at! :eek:

But, if the alternative is staying home, passing on seeing and doing so many wonderful things I have seen and done, I'll take my chances at sea.

That's a huge concern of mine. Imagine being 3-5 days from the nearest port and having a life-threatening emergency. It was bad enough when it happened at home and the rescue squad was 3-5 minutes away. Even scarier is being close to some of the ports I wouldn't want to be left at! :eek:

But, if the alternative is staying home, passing on seeing and doing so many wonderful things I have seen and done, I'll take my chances at sea.

I think there are still many cruises that can be taken without being at sea for days on end. I've been to some amazing places. I agree....better to be on a cruise any day then sitting at home.

Archived