LIVE FROM Eclipse with video and photographs

Jo and Rob

Hi Joe,

Just wanted to say that we are loving traveling on vacation with you. You have made me start to look at future cruises as well! Now I have ot admit I do not usually read every comment each member leaves but I jump to each of your post's. You have brought back many memories for meas we did almost the identical cruise back in 2007 on Holland America.

Did i read that your husband is planning a brief tutorial on how he is doing the google earth portion of your videos? I am very interested in seeing how this is done. Thanks again for taking us all along despite the odd hiccup you appear to be having a great time.

Hi Joe,

Just wanted to say that we are loving traveling on vacation with you. You have made me start to look at future cruises as well! Now I have ot admit I do not usually read every comment each member leaves but I jump to each of your post's. You have brought back many memories for meas we did almost the identical cruise back in 2007 on Holland America.

Did i read that your husband is planning a brief tutorial on how he is doing the google earth portion of your videos? I am very interested in seeing how this is done. Thanks again for taking us all along despite the odd hiccup you appear to be having a great time.

My apologies... I wrote "Joe" instead of 'Jo'... sorry about that I need to pay more attention to the spell checker!

Thank you so much for sharing! These are wonderful. Can you tell me the name of the song playing during the trip to Pisa and Rome? I've heard it before, but don't know it's name. It gives me the chills (good)

Thanks,

Nancy

Go back thru some of the posts. The question was answered:)

I think it is Time to Say Goodbye

And funnily enough I have just watched the finale of America's got Talent shown today in the UK and the little girl sang exactly that song with Sarah Brightman! :):)

Adele, I'll bet that little girl had an excellent voice to have Sarah Brightman sing with her. I remember a few years ago watching a young boy, dressed as a choir boy, singing Requiem with her - amazing.

But to hear and see Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman sing Time to say Goodbye in concert is unbelievable.

Mary

CelebrityEclipsebanner-L.jpg

Day 9 – Cagliari, Sardinia

To see our latest Day 9 Video please click the link below

Staygulf, thanks it was a great day in Rome, so all that research did pay off!

Lois R, I spoke to the shore excursions manager today to in response to his letter and we had a chat. He is going to talk to his manager and I should hear more in a couple of days.

Simon, Rob normally imports the clips onto a portable hard drive, then edits on his laptop, compresses to about 10 megabites and then uploads to Smugmug (web hosting site). I was amazed he managed it on our day in Rome too as we all saw a show that evening as well!

Cruise47, the video camera is a Canon HG 21 High Definition Camera.

Savyan, yes Rob will post how he did the Google Earth bit when we get back. He will post it on this thread so you will be able to find it!

Yesterday we had the express breakfast in the MDR (served starboard side deck 3 6.30-7.30 on early port days with normal breakfast available from 7.30 port side deck 3 as usual). If you want waiter service cooked breakfast before an early excursion it is certainly an option although there is no choice (apart from pastries) everyone gets the same: scrambled egg, two sausages, bacon and baked beans. Rob preferred the express breakfast but the children and I preferred the early buffet the day before (where you can get cereals and fruit as well as a lot more choice).

We decided to head for the beach today and walked past the huge queue for the beach shuttle (15 euros) and crossed the road to the bus stop. The bus was so full of Italians we couldn’t get to the driver to buy a ticket and ended up getting there for free! Our return bus was 1.5 euro each and the children were free. We met people on the bus back who had paid 20 dollars each on the Celebrity shuttle not realising that the town was across the road from the port!

Jo’s tip 37 – research your ports of call before you sail. Public transport can end up being quicker, easier and a lot cheaper than the official Celebrity shuttles or local tour operators cashing in on a ship full of tourists.

Jo’s tip 38 – for the local bus in Cagliari cross the road outside the port and catch the PF, PN or PQ bus. You can buy a ticket on the bus and then validate it in the machine.

Our waiter told us the night before that as we were in Cagliari on a Sunday everything would be closed so there would be no point going into town. When we did come back from the beach about midday we popped into town and all the shops were open. People on the ship told us later they were closed in the morning so they obviously open late on a Sunday.

Jo’s tip 39 – if you intend going to a beach make sure your stateroom attendant delivers a couple of the yellow beach towels as they are much bigger than the pool towels. (We met one family who were wondering where we got ours from as they just had the pool towels and didn’t realise that Celebrity provides beach towels if needed.)

This afternoon I went to the “Health and Wellness Experience” in the solarium on deck 12. This is an event not to be missed as they were giving free tasters. Initially they said you could only have one treatment so I signed up for a foot and ankle massage which was really relaxing. They then said we could have more than one so I had a neck and shoulder massage too! There was a skin consultation and hair consultation but I didn’t do those. They were also giving away smoothies and fresh fruit kebabs.

Jo’s tip 40 – Keep your eyes peeled for spa / health and wellness events. I have attended two now and got a taster treatments both times.

Elegant tea was served in the Moonlight Sonata restaurant today (MDR deck 3). They have a champagne high tea in Murano for a fee but this event is free and worth a visit.

Jo’s tip 41 – As well as elegant tea in the MDR which may only happen once on your cruise, you are able to get finger sandwiches, scones etc in the buffet everyday when afternoon tea is scheduled.

Really enjoying your blog and appreciate how much time that your whole family is putting in. Hope that you are enjoying this trip with your children. It is priceless and you will savor it. We took our children on the Equinox this time last year and talk of it almost daily. :) we got hooked and plan to do the Eclipse next year. Thank you again.

Jo & Rob -

I, too, feel like I must weigh in here on the thread just to say thank you for sharing your vacation with all of us. As has been said before, the videos are terrific (not long enough! but I hope Rob will put them all together when you return home), your tips and comments noteworthy, and your children a delight! This summer I haven't been on Cruise Critic much, but now with your thread, I feel I must log in everyday to catch up! We've been on the Eclipse three times, and you have made my heart long for her again. :(

You have such a wonderful family, and I wish all the kids on cruises were as cute, well-behaved, and engaging as yours. Maybe one day we'll be lucky enough to share a cruise with you, I hope so.

As of this moment, your thread has been viewed 11, 626 times. You do realize, don't you, that you all are 'rock-stars' now :cool:... with all these people tuning in to watch you every day...and feeling like they know you! You will be hard pressed to cruise again without someone recognizing you and running up to say "I saw your videos!" :D

Jo, the beach looks fantastic:D and I am happy to read you spoke

with the Excursion Manager again. Please let us know any further

progress on that front. And I see there was a couple who got

married...that part of the video really made me smile too.:)

I also want to reiterate what others have said. You have a wonderful

family and your children are terrific! So well behaved and they also

seem to be having tons of fun:D Please tell Emily and Oliver what

SugarLover said....ya'll are RockStars now!:D

Edited by Lois R

We met people on the bus back who had paid 20 dollars each on the Celebrity shuttle not realising that the town was across the road from the port!

---------- People on the ship told us later they were closed in the morning so they obviously open late on a Sunday.

We didn't pay for the port transfer in Cagliari, only Venice & Dubrovnik. This is where P&O win, I have never paid for a port shuttle on P&O, I am afraid Celebrity are making themselves unpopular in this respect!

We did a more sedate tour on a small open top bus, I think it was €15 p.p for a 2 hr tour. We walked across the road & up the hill, where many people were booking tickets; ours was for an hour later, so we got a lift ( elevator) for an overview of the city.

After the tour, we sat in the square for a much needed drink. We were there on a Saturday, most Catholic countries open late on a Sunday, to give the workers opportunity to go to church first.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/578869944IcKnDP?start=24

Edited by upwarduk

Jo, it would be pretty neat if you could call a pre-departure rollcall gathering and everyone could raise a glass and give a shout out to your avid followers. :) BTW I'm not wishing away your cruise :(, continue having a great time.

CelebrityEclipsebanner-L.jpg

Day 10 – Sea Day, brunch and invitations to the bridge and engine control room!

To see our latest Day 10 video please click the link below

Thank you again everyone for your kind words. It really means a lot to us to know that people are enjoying our posts.

Last night we received two letters of invitation. The first to the bridge at 9.20am and the second invitation was for the engine control room at 11.30am. This gave us a nice slot in the middle for brunch so it turned into quite a busy morning!

Jo’s tip 42 – Go to guest services if you wish to do these tours. If you go to the

Cruise Critic Connections party you are likely to get invited if you express an interest, but we went to guest services too to check the “little black book” with noted cabin numbers had worked!

We had our second formal night last night and more men were wearing tuxedoes than not and all were wearing a jacket that I could see although some just had a regular tie and that is perfectly acceptable if you don’t want to splash out on a tux. I recommend the duck à l’orange which was very tasty!

We decided to have a light breakfast (we didn’t want to spoil our appetite for brunch!) so we ordered room service with the TV! It was really easy and unlike other cruise lines you can have hot items if you like with no charge. We just had cereal, fruit and pastries and it was perfect. The breakfast was delivered within half an hour in the selected time slot.

Jo’s tip 43 – enjoy breakfast on the balcony, it is a great way to start the day and ordering from the telly was quite a novelty!

The security for the bridge and engine room tours was tight. We needed our cruise cards and passports (photo ID) as well as the invitation. Once cross checked with ID we were issued with “inspected” stickers. We were then scanned individually before being allowed into the restricted areas. No video was allowed only photographs so we haven’t been able to include these visits on our daily video I’m afraid. The bridge and engine room tours were both really interesting and we ran out of time with both as we had loads of questions which the crew were happy to answer.

Jo’s tip 44 – the bridge tour is conducted port side around an information panel (at the bit that sticks out of the ship). Head over to the panel once on the bridge as not everyone got a good view of the screens and instruments.

Brunch was fantastic. The Moonlight Sonata restaurant was full of ice sculptures, and fabulous food. It included sushi, a fish station, a Caesar salad station made to order, a chocolate fountain, loads of miniature cakes including choux swans, crêpe suzette, as well as the traditional eggs made to order, cooked breakfast items, pastries etc. There was a string trio playing which definitely added to the splendour of the occasion. I spoke to so many people at the pool this afternoon who missed brunch as they didn’t realise it was a special event. Even if you are not hungry it is worth taking a look.

Jo’s tip 45 – Don’t miss brunch! It will be on one of the sea days and looks spectacular. My advice is to go early. We went at 10am when it opened and got the full visual effect.

The sea was so calm today it was like a mill pond. We enjoyed a leisurely afternoon by the pool, and were entertained by some staff v guest volleyball which was great fun to watch.

This evening we saw a hilarious show with Mike Doyle at the Eclipse Theatre. Not only was he an excellent comedian which included a really funny impression of Dru the cruise director but he was also a superb singer, finishing his act with a fantastic rendition of Nessum Dorma, which had everyone on their feet. I’m pleased to say that the entertainment has definitely improved and we are now really enjoying the shows.

1 2nd formal night

EclipseDay956-L.jpg

2 Jo at Sunset

EclipseDay957-L.jpg

3 Brunch in the Main Dining Room

EclipseDay1059-L.jpg

4 Bridge tour

EclipseDay1060-L.jpg

5 Engine Room Tour

EclipseDay1062-L.jpg

I have just caught up with the videos. What a great job you've done and a fantastic cruise you're all having. Now why did I decide to miss the sea day brunch? :confused:

Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Thanks for the review and videos, I am really enjoying them!!

I was wondering how you got to go on the bridge and engine tours. I would really like to do them when I'm on the Eclipse in Dec.:p

Edited by Tweets

Thanks for the review and videos, I am really enjoying them!!

I was wondering how you got to go on the bridge and engine tours. I would really like to do them when I'm on the Eclipse in Dec.:p

Talk to the Capt's Club Host/Hostess about it.

Thank you for the brilliant video. The music and editing were so wonderfully constructed. We have always been Royal Caribbean fans, but with the new Oasis ships, there are virtually no other options in the caribbean. So, we have been searching for an alternate cruise line. Your video sold us. Celebrity, here we come. Thank you!