Are we Seabourn loyalists Gluttons and Winos ?

NEOPHYTUS

Yes, according to the administrator of a USA web site similar to Cruise Critic.

Was recently informed by a fellow cruise aficionado who reads many cruise message boards that this administrator accused me of being a Seabourn plant or a biased travel agent based on my posts on the revived thread here on CC of a questionable booking, with a side shot at Host Dan.

Just for the record, I am not affiliated with Seabourn in any way nor a travel agent. In fact, have been retired for nearly 10 yrs. , not engaged in any commercial activity and a review here of my posts accessible by all, will reveal that although a Seabourn loyalist, have opined on Seabourn shortcomings. Low end inclusive wines/champagne, lapses in service, non-existent night life are mentioned in some of my posts.

Interest piqued, navigated to the other web site to read further where the discussion about Seabourn Cruise Line resulted in the following statement by the administrator :

"Seabourn would be the LAST cruise line I would ever choose to take a cruise upon - and I will tell you why.

I find small ships to be boring - especially when the primary attraction is food and wine. I don't find gluttony to be that appealing, and that seems to be the main reason why people tout Seabourn the most. I find their itineraries to be the least appealing of all the "luxury" ships BY FAR because they have the most days at sea, and to me the only difference between a day at sea on a tiny ship and a prison is the food is better."

Not sure if per forum guidelines, the link to this web site can be posted, so will refrain from doing so, nor provide a hint. Unless of course, Host Dan permits.

The claim of excessive greedy eating and bacchanalian propensities, (food and wine gluttony), as the primary trait of Seabourn cruisers is OTT, offensive and beyond ridiculous. Based on my experiences and observations on other cruise lines, Seabourn guests are the exact opposite, selectively consuming from the wide array of fine food and drink offered on the ships and their "primary attraction" to Seabourn is NOT the food and wine.

Ironically, this administrator has never been on a Seabourn cruise and has a side gig with FoxBusiness.com. :rolleyes:

QED

Would love to know more about this - my impression from the Seabourn threads and posts is that food and wine certainly do not crop up more than those of other lines - and as for having the most days at sea?? Many of the other lines spend summer in Europe and then have days at sea while they move to Asia or the US; I don't think Seabourn has more than the average.

Who is this person? Are we allowed to know?

Would love to know more about this - my impression from the Seabourn threads and posts is that food and wine certainly do not crop up more than those of other lines - and as for having the most days at sea?? Many of the other lines spend summer in Europe and then have days at sea while they move to Asia or the US; I don't think Seabourn has more than the average.

Who is this person? Are we allowed to know?

lincslady,

can easily post the name and link to the website, but don't want to overstep CC guidelines, if any, unless Host Dan approves.

I suspect it is all very much to do with the target audience. Seabourn is aimed at wealthier, successful people, many of whom like the idea of being 'at sea', may have messed about in boats themselves when younger; it is aimed at people who lead, or did until they retired, perhaps stressful, certainly dynamic, working lives. Such people like small ships, because the nautical experience is more 'yacht-like', more authentiacally sea-faring. They like the opportunity to relax and de-stress, they do not want frenetic activity, they prefer interesting conversation, reading, exploring new destinations, to a string of second rate comedians and cabaret artistes and tours of guide-book tourist traps.

They eat well at home, by that I mean they have good quality food, fine ingredients, often home- cooked ( some may employ cooks) and they can afford to eat at top-quality restaurants. When they go on holiday they expect the same level of quality, in both ingredients and preparation. It is nothing to do with gluttony, or stuffing your face.

Other people lead hum-drum lives, with monotonous working routines - when they go on holiday they crave excitement, entertaining activities, nightlife. They do not care all that much for a maritime expereince, but see cruising as a means to an end for visiting 'must see' places ( some of the larger vessels out there resemble large floating resort hotel and shopping mall complexes rather than ships).

Your chap is writing with this second group in mind.

Nobody stuffs their face on Seabourn (in my experience) - portions are sensible, the diet is very well-balanced. The emphasis on service means that you can have as much as you like, should you want to; if you want caviar everyday for breakfast, you can have it and many people comment on this and on the fact that the food on offer is very good. God knows that is worth commenting about, certainly from my experience of countless overblown and overcooked culinary experiences at hotels and resorts around the world. However very few Seabourn passengers do over indulge - they are mostly too refined ( and well-fed) for that sort of behaviour.

The FoxBuisness link is revealing. The Murdoch empire was built on an astute exploitation of the politics of envy and an appeal to mass tastes. That is the hidden subtext.

Can only agree with what Flamin June says - and, as from another thread on 'value', even with the reduced prices Seabourn does remain out of the financial reach of most people. I think perhaps those of us who can afford to go Seabourn sometimes do not fully appreciate how expensive it must seem to those who cruise on the cheapest lines, so the idea of the 'great unwashed' (hate this phrase) invading Seabourn is unlikely.

I just read the thread, and it is a bit like listening to the opinionated rants on "Fox News" on TV. The moderator seems to have gone off on a rant against Seabourne because they don't feel he is important enough to contact. My thoughts are that he also might be more than a bit envious of Host Dan!

It is my first time reading that particular board, and I find the moderator to be very opinionated. I also noticed several vociferous protests opposing his views.

I suspect it is all very much to do with the target audience. Seabourn is aimed at wealthier, successful people, many of whom like the idea of being 'at sea', may have messed about in boats themselves when younger; it is aimed at people who lead, or did until they retired, perhaps stressful, certainly dynamic, working lives. Such people like small ships, because the nautical experience is more 'yacht-like', more authentiacally sea-faring. They like the opportunity to relax and de-stress, they do not want frenetic activity, they prefer interesting conversation, reading, exploring new destinations, to a string of second rate comedians and cabaret artistes and tours of guide-book tourist traps.

They eat well at home, by that I mean they have good quality food, fine ingredients, often home- cooked ( some may employ cooks) and they can afford to eat at top-quality restaurants. When they go on holiday they expect the same level of quality, in both ingredients and preparation. It is nothing to do with gluttony, or stuffing your face.

Other people lead hum-drum lives, with monotonous working routines - when they go on holiday they crave excitement, entertaining activities, nightlife. They do not care all that much for a maritime expereince, but see cruising as a means to an end for visiting 'must see' places ( some of the larger vessels out there resemble large floating resort hotel and shopping mall complexes rather than ships).

Nobody stuffs their face on Seabourn (in my experience) - portions are sensible, the diet is very well-balanced. The emphasis on service means that you can have as much as you like, should you want to; if you want caviar everyday for breakfast, you can have it and many people comment on this and on the fact that the food on offer is very good. God knows that is worth commenting about, certainly from my experience of countless overblown and overcooked culinary experiences at hotels and resorts around the world. However very few Seabourn passengers do over indulge - they are mostly too refined ( and well-fed) for that sort of behaviour.

The FoxBuisness link is revealing. The Murdoch empire was built on an astute exploitation of the politics of envy and an appeal to mass tastes. That is the hidden subtext.

Have to agree with you. What attracted us to Seabourn was first the itinerary and second was the upscale product and service. We have done the larger ships on Princess, HAL and RCCL and all in full Suites as well but this time wanted to try an "all inclusive" approach or close to it with emphasis on quality food and surroundings. We are not big drinkers so proably won't get our "value" worth in that department but we are not there for that primarily. Second, I guess if you plan on taking an exotic itinerary such as ours for example crossing the Indian Ocean and also the Straights of Hormus etc. you have to expect to be at sea for a couple of days. Furthermore, these smaller ships (triplets as you refer to them) I am sure do not have a top cruising speed of 24-25knots as the larger ships thus taking more time to get to there destinations.

This will be the first time we have taken such a small ship. The smallest we have been on was the Tahitian Princess at 680 pax so this will be a new thing for us but I am sure we will love Seabourn from what most of you have shared on here thus far.

The moderator has complained several times, usually when one attempts to extoll Seabourn, that Seabourn has not yet seen fit to beg him to sail with them (gratis, of course). He gives board hosts a bad name.

I'm sticking with CC and Dan.

I have sailed on Seabourn precisely because I love good food. Period. Clearly I am guilty of being a glutton and wino, (and, gasp - a travel agent - who does NOT sail for free or anywhere close...) The best part is, I LOVE it all.

I started my blog because I love food and love to talk about food, report on what I am eating and plan the next meal. To each their own. Although, this might explain why I have been having a tough time with the weight loss thing...

http://FloridaKeysGirl.com

Wow. Really? You protest too much, methinks.

You feel like you have to justify the uncomplicated luxury of a small cruise ship by implying that Seabourn cruisers have all had such amazing, fantastic, adventurous lives that "they've been there and done that", and therefore require a wholly different kind of cruise experience? One that the working stiffs couldn't hope to understand?

Maybe it's, you know, just a matter of personal preference... That doesn't say much at all about the cruiser's social caste? Prince or pauper, some people aren't cut out for small ship cruising.

I know plenty of people who have monotonous working routines, yet who like to sail for sailing's sake and enjoy uncomplicated luxury.

I also know plenty of folks who have varied, dynamic working lives, who are leaders and who have money... and yet they can't seem to get enough nightlife/adventure on their weekends or vacations... Perhaps even to a fault.

OK, rant over...

Corner Tavern

Yes, it is a rant.

And no, I am not saying what you claim I am saying.

You feel like you have to justify the uncomplicated luxury of a small cruise ship by implying that Seabourn cruisers have all had such amazing, fantastic, adventurous lives that "they've been there and done that", and therefore require a wholly different kind of cruise experience? One that the working stiffs couldn't hope to understand?

I do not say that at all. I was not trying to justify the luxury of small ship sailing (interesting choice of word there: justify). I did not say that 'working stiffs' (again an interesting choice of terminology) couldn't hope to understand the Seabourn experience. In fact I did say that many Seabourn passengers lead stressful and demanding working lives.

Nor was I explicitly or implicitly equating humdrum and monotonous working lives with poverty or pauperdom or social class. That is entirely your own projection, or hangup. And I did differentiate the middle, by using terms such as many rather than all and others rather than all others.

Nonetheless, the Seabourn product is clearly marketed at people who want relaxation, refinement, good food, who are wealthy (or financialy reckless because, lets face it, Seabourn is expensive - even the 'bargain sale' prices of c. £3000 for a couple, for 7 days, not including flights, transfers and hotels is a little eye watering), who are educated and well-mannered, and who want to spend holiday time taking it easy with other people who are so inclined. Its a fact of life that for the majority of people it takes the larger part of a lifetime of hard work to arrive at that position, so the Seabourn product is also designed to appeal to an older demographic.

Other people, want excitement, physical activity, informality and a rip-roaring time doing it large, while they are on holiday, and would clearly find the Seabourn experience boring. The shock-jock moderator on the other message board was clearly aiming his comments towards that demographic, and at the same time denigrating and insulting the sort of people who enjoy the Seabourn experience.

"Nonetheless, the Seabourn product is clearly marketed at people who want relaxation, refinement, good food, who are wealthy (or financialy reckless because, lets face it, Seabourn is expensive - even the 'bargain sale' prices of c. £3000 for a couple, for 7 days, not including flights, transfers and hotels is a little eye watering), who are educated and well-mannered, and who want to spend holiday time taking it easy with other people who are so inclined."

Rats, I guess that precludes ol' Ragnar from cruising on Seaborne :(

"Nonetheless, the Seabourn product is clearly marketed at people who want relaxation, refinement, good food, who are wealthy (or financialy reckless because, lets face it, Seabourn is expensive - even the 'bargain sale' prices of c. £3000 for a couple, for 7 days, not including flights, transfers and hotels is a little eye watering), who are educated and well-mannered, and who want to spend holiday time taking it easy with other people who are so inclined."

Rats, I guess that precludes ol' Ragnar from cruising on Seaborne :(

No problemo, Ragnar. They let me and a bunch of SeaDreamers on the Spirit last year.:eek::eek: You will do just fine.:D

Archived