Carnival stock is down to 30.31 a share. Wanting to hit the buy botton....

ssatterly

Yes I opened an account this morning with Scottrade and was able to fund it and have it cleared all in a short time. I put 3200 in the account. I put in a limit of $30 I was able to get it at 30 a share so I now have $200 that i will get back from scottrade as well. And now the stock is going for more than I paid for it so thats cool too...

Hi! I'm following in your footsteps. I'm a newbie at this.

I just opened my Scottrade account online and I'm going over to a nearby branch to fund it with a check this afternoon.

Can you tell me - did you order the stock online or get it "broker assisted"? If it's easy to do it online, I'd like to do that.

Hi! I'm following in your footsteps. I'm a newbie at this.

I just opened my Scottrade account online and I'm going over to a nearby branch to fund it with a check this afternoon.

Can you tell me - did you order the stock online or get it "broker assisted"? If it's easy to do it online, I'd like to do that.

I did it online and it was very easy. bought 100 share it only cost me the share amount and a 1 time 7 fee

Thanks, Ssatterly. You don't work for SSA, do you? I'm at the Philly Regional office.

Can anyone answer this?

If I see a price on Mktwatch dot com and buy it immediately, is that the price I'll be charged? Or is there a delay time? Do I have to buy it while the market is open? What happens if I do the transaction online at 5 AM tomorrow morning?

Thanks, Ssatterly. You don't work for SSA, do you? I'm at the Philly Regional office.

Can anyone answer this?

If I see a price on Mktwatch dot com and buy it immediately, is that the price I'll be charged? Or is there a delay time? Do I have to buy it while the market is open? What happens if I do the transaction online at 5 AM tomorrow morning?

If you put in a market order, it will be executed when the market opens.

If you put in a limit order, it will only fill if the price hits your limit price. The drawback to this is you never know.. last night the futures were low and it looked for sure like the market would open down, but the futures turned positive by 3 am (I was checking lol) .. and opened up.

When the market opens they can be wide swings of a couple of points, in extreme cases, but it will be executed at whatever someone else is offering to sell their shares are, starting with the lowest prices.

Can anyone answer this?

I am a homemaker so I am lucky enough not to have to work. I put in a limit bid yesterday of 30 and when it hit 30 I got it then. Thats how I did it. Bit it don't look ike it will hit that low today

Can anyone answer this?

If you put in a market order, it will be executed when the market opens.

If you put in a limit order, it will only fill if the price hits your limit price. The drawback to this is you never know.. last night the futures were low and it looked for sure like the market would open down, but the futures turned positive by 3 am (I was checking lol) .. and opened up.

When the market opens they can be wide swings of a couple of points, in extreme cases, but it will be executed at whatever someone else is offering to sell their shares are, starting with the lowest prices.

What firefly says is correct for limit orders or market orders for pre opening. When you hit a buy on line or through your trading account, unless you specify the price to buy or sell, your order will be executed at the "best" execution price when the order hits the trading floor. Might be different from what you saw on the screen when you placed the order.

BTW, looks like the markets are giving it back and more. CCL is back into the mid 30s range of yesterday.

I am a homemaker so I am lucky enough not to have to work. I put in a limit bid yesterday of 30 and when it hit 30 I got it then. Thats how I did it. Bit it don't look ike it will hit that low today

Don't be so sure, its back down to 30.39 right now, things change quick;)

hi, I have a question. I dont have any stock and I new to this. I always see that people are talking about 100 shares. Do they force me to buy 100 or do I can buy less than that. Thanks guys !!!:o

also , Im planning on using one of those online places in which you are able to buy the stock, Im not planning on selling them any time soon , any advice on where to go ?

hi, I have a question. I dont have any stock and I new to this. I always see that people are talking about 100 shares. Do they force me to buy 100 or do I can buy less than that. Thanks guys !!!:o

You can buy as little as you want. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that CCL has a Direct Reinvestment Plan that allows you to purchase smaller amounts of the stock monthly or at a frequency that suits you.

also , Im planning on using one of those online places in which you are able to buy the stock, Im not planning on selling them any time soon , any advice on where to go ?

You need 100 shares to get the OBC beni, but you can buy as many shares or as few as you want. I have a Scottrade account and a sharebuilder account, pretty easy internet traders.

You can buy as little as you want. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that CCL has a Direct Reinvestment Plan that allows you to purchase smaller amounts of the stock monthly or at a frequency that suits you.

You can certainly set up a month buy, but yes, dividends are reinvested automatically unless you choose different.

You can certainly set up a month buy, but yes, dividends are reinvested automatically unless you choose different.

Thanks, I thought they did. All the talk here has been about one-time purchases and I was just thinking of the person that can only put $50-$100 a month toward investing but would like to invest in a company and can not afford to put up $3,000 at one time for a 100 share purchase.

Right now CCL is basically where it was only year ago. August 25th 2010 the price was $30.65.

In that same time, shareholders were paid $0.60 a share in dividends.

/quote]

Not sure where you're getting the $0.60 sh. in dividends.

The dividend was $.40 per share on 12/2008 and then was suspended. ($40.00 per qtr. for 100 shs.)

It was reinstated on 3/15/10 when it became $.10 per share quarterly. ($10.00 per qtr. - don't spend it all in one place!!!)

Then on 3/11/11 the dividend was increased to $.25 per share per quarter.

Hopefully, it'll continue to go up.

Right now CCL is basically where it was only year ago. August 25th 2010 the price was $30.65.

In that same time, shareholders were paid $0.60 a share in dividends.

/quote]

Not sure where you're getting the $0.60 sh. in dividends.

The dividend was $.40 per share on 12/2008 and then was suspended. ($40.00 per qtr. for 100 shs.)

It was reinstated on 3/15/10 when it became $.10 per share quarterly. ($10.00 per qtr. - don't spend it all in one place!!!)

Then on 3/11/11 the dividend was increased to $.25 per share per quarter.

Hopefully, it'll continue to go up.

Ya, I believe the yeilds a little over 3% now....

Carnival stock is down 35% over the last 5 years. Why in Gods name would ANYONE dump over $3000 into a stock like that to get a lousy 100 bucks in on board credit. Think about it for a minute. If a person puts $3000 there 5 years ago it would be worth less than $2000 today. You'd have to book at a minimum 10 cruises on Carnival just to break even. The added thing too is that Carnival has you right where they want you. You would feel obliged to cruise with them to get your money's worth instead of shopping around for better deals on other lines.

This program makes absolutely no fiscal sense whatsoever.

Carnival stock is down 35% over the last 5 years. Why in Gods name would ANYONE dump over $3000 into a stock like that to get a lousy 100 bucks in on board credit. Think about it for a minute. If a person puts $3000 there 5 years ago it would be worth less than $2000 today. You'd have to book at a minimum 10 cruises on Carnival just to break even. The added thing too is that Carnival has you right where they want you. You would feel obliged to cruise with them to get your money's worth instead of shopping around for better deals on other lines.

I mostly agree with you. I bought when it was much lower, around $18, so obviously there are still opportunities to make money. I didn't buy for the OBC. I purchased RCL real low as well, have enough to get OBC when them and I don't even cruise with RCL. But just picking it up randomly to get OBC is crazy IMO. You can put that same money in much better stocks and get a yeild of 5-7%, which would net you around $200 year. Unless you are a person who cruises 5+ times a year, it really doesn't make sense why you'd buy just for the OBC, especially if you aren't an experience trader.

You need 100 shares to get the OBC is why people are buying 100 shares.

No one forces you to buy more or less than that... but you need 100 to get the OBC

No disagreement on buying for OBC alone, but Carnival is only down about 20.5% since the end of July 2006 through yesterday. With dividends reinvested only down 11.7%. Yes not a spectacular investment if you're looking for a growth stock.

Market orders, limit orders, specifying the price to buy or sell. I knew I'd get a quick basic education here.

My account is funded. The price is higher but now I'll be able to buy Carnival or something else if it looks like a good buy.

Thanks, everyone.

Archived