Last minute freak out about bringing soda onboard!

My wife and I just got into an argument about whether or not she should try bringing her Diet Dr. Pepper onboard. No, she isn't doing it to be cheap, it's just her favorite drink and they don't have it on the ship. She's also getting the soda package.

Anyways - I know she isn't allowed to bring the soda but enforcement is spotty at best. If they do find the soda/care, will they just remove it?

If it's just simply an issue of them removing the soda - I don't really mind. Then I'll have just wasted a few dollars on a 12 pack. However, if this is going to cause issues/headaches I'd rather not.

Can someone provide insight. Thanks. And also thanks for bearing with me during my almost 1 am night before cruise rants!

I would risk it just because she loves the Dr. Pepper and because it is not available on the ship. It sounds like you are ok if you get caught and lose it. But also ask yourself this: Are you prepared (if you put it in a non-carry on) for your luggage to possibly get confiscated, resulting in you having to wait in a possibly long line wasting part of your embarkation day?

Are you prepared (if you put it in a non-carry on) for your luggage to possibly get confiscated, resulting in you having to wait in a possibly long line wasting part of your embarkation day?

That was kind of my next question. If we get "caught" will we have to go down to "the naughty room" and wait there, then remove our items, etc. That sounds like quite a hassle on day 1.

What you're also saying though is if I put the soda in the carry on and they see it, they'll just confiscate it there? That's starting to sound like the better option.

I don't think you'll have a problem. Just pack it in your carryon if you're worried about being called down.

It looks like you are on Explorer; I always bring a 24 pack of water in a rolled carryon and I've never had a problem.

We carry a 12-pack of Diet Dr. Pepper. We've never tried to hide it and we've always been allowed. In July, I carried a 12-pack of Diet Dr. Pepper for my cabin and a 12-pack of Root Beer for my Grandson's cabin. No problems whatsoever with it. Worst case scenario, you lose $10 on the purchase. We put it in a small, cheap, nylon duffle-type tote with a luggage tag to be sent to the cabin. If that was the bag that didn't arrive, oh well...

First of all, there is no waiting in a long line embarkation day. As others say slap a room tag on it and let them carry it to your room. Should it not be there (and I bring on water and soda all the time in a soft side cooler - which the stateroom attendant keeps iced and its ALWAYS delivered). The couple of times I was caught with wine (in the earlier days when they started cracking down), your luggage isn't there, so when you find the time in the evening, you go downstairs to the naughty room, I've never had to wait. There will be tons of liquor, gadgets, etc in a pile. Depending on the ship some return liquor some don't. There may be a line for those who want to fill out the form to have there things returned the last night. Should it be soda (and trust me, I've never heard of soda being taken, I wouldn't stand in any line to have that returned.

My drink of choice also. I have to have a DDP first thing in the morning. I've never had a problem bringing Diet Dr. Pepper onboard. Do not pack it in your luggage. You would not want an explosion. Wait until you get to your embarkation port and purchase your DDP and then just leave it in the grocery bag and carry it straight on the ship. They will scan and look at it and let it go through. Enjoy your cruise:)

I DID have my DDP taken from me at embarkation in Galveston on the Voyager in March. Just had it in carry on sack and they took it, tagged it and returned it to me on the last night. Left if for whoever wanted it, was not going to take it back on plane. But, for the record, they did have DDP in cans in the Promenade sandwich/ice cream place.

Hope someone lets me know if this flys on the Explorer, that is our next one

My wife and I just got into an argument about whether or not she should try bringing her Diet Dr. Pepper onboard. No, she isn't doing it to be cheap, it's just her favorite drink and they don't have it on the ship. She's also getting the soda package.

Anyways - I know she isn't allowed to bring the soda but enforcement is spotty at best. If they do find the soda/care, will they just remove it?

If it's just simply an issue of them removing the soda - I don't really mind. Then I'll have just wasted a few dollars on a 12 pack. However, if this is going to cause issues/headaches I'd rather not.

Can someone provide insight. Thanks. And also thanks for bearing with me during my almost 1 am night before cruise rants!

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want to schlep soda, water and the like in their luggage. Is it really that much of a sacrifice to forego Dr. Pepper for one week?

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want to schlep soda, water and the like in their luggage. Is it really that much of a sacrifice to forego Dr. Pepper for one week?

Obviously to some folks it is. :rolleyes: If someone wants to schelp it what does it really matter?

They're on vacation. That's not a time to have to sacrifice even if it's not much of one. I used to carry on splenda before the cruise lines started stocking it. Why? Because I like it!

You folks that bring on soda and water are just as cheap as those that smuggle on alcohol. Soda on the ship is way much less costly than beer and booze. I don't want to hear that "they don't have the soda or brand of water I drink". The next time someone asks about bringing on booze don't get on that thread and chastize them for smuggling alcohol, you are doing the same.

I have always brought several cans/bottles of Mountain Dew with me on our cruises. Usually packed in my suitcase and have NEVER had any problem. I have even brought a few cans back onboard with me at some of the ports and have never had them say anything. I plan on doing it again in a couple of weeks on the Oasis.

For the life of me I can't understand why people are so concerned about someone doing something that has no impact on them or their vacation. They aren't asking you to carry it so why does it bother you?

You folks that bring on soda and water are just as cheap as those that smuggle on alcohol. Soda on the ship is way much less costly than beer and booze. I don't want to hear that "they don't have the soda or brand of water I drink". The next time someone asks about bringing on booze don't get on that thread and chastize them for smuggling alcohol, you are doing the same.

No argument from me I am guilty as charged.:p

For us it is a big deal, my husband can only have diet caffeine free soda....for health reasons, the ships do not have these. i suppose he should drink water all week. so don't be so smug

I am a diet dr pepper fan as well! I am NOT being cheap as I purchased the soda card and had a bar bill of over a thousand dollars! I LOVE my DDP, especially in the morning as I don't drink coffee. I bought a 24 pack in cans and reinforced it with clear packing tape. I also put a note on it saying I had purchased the soda card along with a luggage tag. We were on the oasis in May and it arrived in the room

We carry a 12-pack of Diet Dr. Pepper. We've never tried to hide it and we've always been allowed. In July, I carried a 12-pack of Diet Dr. Pepper for my cabin and a 12-pack of Root Beer for my Grandson's cabin. No problems whatsoever with it. Worst case scenario, you lose $10 on the purchase. We put it in a small, cheap, nylon duffle-type tote with a luggage tag to be sent to the cabin. If that was the bag that didn't arrive, oh well...

Why would HE be the one waiting in the line if the luggage gets confiscated? If she's the one insisting that she bring this stuff along (and it boggles my mind that someone couldnt do without a brand of soda on a cruise for one week) .. then send her down to get the bag back herself!

I'm a diet pepsi nut. We checked an extra back with a few bottles of water and diet pepsi. Our next cruise I won't bother taking any water but I will still pack a few soda's for me. The extra bag was nice to have fro the trip home; It had wheels so we could roll our booze we purchased right to the car.

Archived