Show off your high sign and sail bill.....

valtandc

Our first cruise (honeymoon) we went all out!!! Our S&S was around $2,100.00 which included tours from Carnival, lots of alcohol and we bought a ton of pictures and a couple’s massage. We haven't done that again. I keep that print out so that in 40 years we can look back and say, "What were we thinking!!" :eek:

2 people, 7 night in 2003 - $900. That inlcuded pictures/drinks, only one excursion only. Must have drank alot I guess! It was our honeymoon. Needless to say, in the cruise's since, we've been able to keep it around $300 :-)

So are you saying that if some people don't like to socialize with complete strangers on a cruise and buy them a drink that they are not generous people? And if some people don't purchase items that they don't want or need, they are stingy?:confused::rolleyes::confused:

Oh my gosh...NOBODY is "saying" anything! If you don't want to meet and socialize with strangers DON'T, if you don't want to buy someone drinks DON'T. This entire thread is just in fun and I for one am enjoying the posts tremendously. :p

Oh my gosh...NOBODY is "saying" anything! If you don't want to meet and socialize with strangers DON'T, if you don't want to buy someone drinks DON'T. This entire thread is just in fun and I for one am enjoying the posts tremendously. :p

Do you ever think to buy someone a drink? like some really nice people that you meet? soda or wine or whatever? or do you say....can I get you lemonade from the fountain? lol.

Is generousity a favorable trait. You bet. Is stinginess a negative trait. of course it is.

Um...I've been enjoying reading these posts too:p. I'm just trying to understand the meaning behind valtandc's posts;). I was asking for some verfication of the point he was trying to get across. What do you think he meant?

Um...I've been enjoying reading these posts too:p. I'm just trying to understand the meaning behind valtandc's posts;). I was asking for some verfication of the point he was trying to get across. What do you think he meant?

Buying drinks for people you meet on the ship that you are having fun with.......

Buying drinks for people you meet on the ship that you are having fun with.......

But what if you don't go on a ship to meet people, socialize and buy them drinks? What if you are there to have fun with your family and you avoid the social situations where you socialize with others? Is he then saying that makes one stingy??? That's the part I'm trying to figure out?? Where does the stingy part of his quote come in?:confused:

I think he was saying that I need to go on the next cruise he does and be really nice to him! :D

I'm one of the opposites. I like to pay for everything ahead of time, get about $400-$600 OBC pre-paid, all shore excursions, tips, ect... The last 2 cruises I have ended up with refunds. RCCL was nice, they cash it out and give you the money. NCL took over a month to get a refund, and they said they'd send a check, then they said that was wrong, they will refund the card used. A lot of phone calls and running around to get that refund.

5700+ for myself and wife for our 10th anniversary on Alaska, not Carnival.

We don't drink, gamble, partake in expensive for pay activities, only one expensive excursion glacier helictoper landing as she was in her 8th month with our third.

Our big mistake is we had fun at the art auction. Almost doubled that as there was the original I was really fancying, but I didn't sell enough stock precruise to cover...

Of course in stock money it was a deal as I funded the cruise with stock sold pre cruise and there was no internet on the trip and it fell 20% :eek: during the week I was on vacation and in todays money it was a total steal as the stock has done nothing but go down. Damm I should have sold it all and spent more :D

I definitely learned the hard way, DH & I were traumatized :p when we received our S&S bill on our 1st cruise...this time around I've been adding money to our OBC to attempt to supress the sticker shock! :D

Well, I can tell you the most a cruise has ever cost us for things NOT on our s&s bill.... $800 to get my DH out of the Cozumel jail, $800 to fly from Louisiana to Corpus Christi and $7000 to replace the vehicle we lost in hurricane Ike in Galveston.

I'm sure my booze bill was pretty high on that one, too. :p

Well, I can tell you the most a cruise has ever cost us for things NOT on our s&s bill.... $800 to get my DH out of the Cozumel jail, $800 to fly from Louisiana to Corpus Christi and $7000 to replace the vehicle we lost in hurricane Ike in Galveston.

You win:p

But what if you don't go on a ship to meet people, socialize and buy them drinks? What if you are there to have fun with your family and you avoid the social situations where you socialize with others? Is he then saying that makes one stingy??? That's the part I'm trying to figure out?? Where does the stingy part of his quote come in?:confused:

Then you do just that.....I believe his scenario was if he were with new friends he met on the ship.......

Is it me or are people taking things personally on this site lately:confused:

On our 2nd weekend cruise, to Ensenada, we went with another couple. We hit the art auction one afternoon, and thanks to Grey Goose, we spent just over $6,000 on art work. (The cold hard facts of what we had done really hit home when we sobered up enough to sign the paperwork that evening, and yes is was a fun afternoon!) We also had an $800 bar tab for the weekend. Our friends spent just over $4,000 at the auction and had about the same for a bar tab. Combined we spent almost $12,000 between Friday night and Monday morning. Talk about sobering..... we learned our lesson.

lol...this sounds like a horror story!.....care to share more details?? ;)

Is it me or are people taking things personally on this site lately:confused:

I thought the same thing. My impression was that this was started by the OP as a fun thing.

I've always wondered what a single page S/S bill would look like? I'm happy if I only get two pages.:p

Let's face facts. The cruise lines make it very easy to spend money. And it's fun too. We prepurchase a 5 day wine package from Bon Voyage. We prepay our gratuities when we book. We book our excusions privately but we never get off without a $2,000 bill. Like someone said a bucket of beer don' t last long. Pictures are a must (and we've been on 13 cruises) as a reminder of each stop and how we looked at this age. Formal night is a great family pic. We LOVE Chocolate martinis ($15 a piece) and we have been know to buy some for the folks around us. It's so fun to make a stranger happy. Gift shop purchases- the obligitory tshirt. Martini tasting. And this trip my DD9 and her little friend enjoyed 2 spa treatments. We had had a great trip and will plan on spending atleast that much on our next cruise too.

Archived