Royal Caribbean strands 145 passengers in San Juan when Irene forces early departure

It was in the USA Today story....pasted below:

One passenger, Nicole Washington of Baltimore, said when she and her family arrived at the docks Sunday around 5:30 p.m., the gates were locked and the ship gone, she told Miami's WFOR-TV, a CBS affiliate.

The Baltimore woman says she doesn't understand why the cruise line didn't e-mail or call her about the schedule change.

"In the time before my cruise, they were contacting me and e-mailing me about things," she told the station. "I can't believe this big, billion dollar company couldn't have contacted me to tell me the ship was leaving early. They had my phone number."

Royal Caribbean said it wasn't possible. "There was no way to notify our guests of this change in departure time," Martinez said. "We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our guests, but this decision was made by the Port of San Juan to ensure the safe transit of all guests and crew through the port."

That is what I read also, except in a much easier to read color. She did not say there was no one there, just the gates were locked and the ship was gone. If there was no one there, how were they able to accomodate the passengers who booked air through RCCL?

Give them a few more hours?? That was a joke, correct? Do you know anything about hurricanes? Between the wind, waves, rain and riptides the port authority, no matter how much authority has been given to them cannot tell a hurricane to hold off for a bit.

Perhaps I do not read as thoroughly as you do, where did it mention no one was there to direct the guests who missed the boat?

It's mentioned in the WFOR article:

“There was nobody there,” she said. “Everybody was gone and there was nobody there to tell me where the ship was.”

That is what I read also, except in a much easier to read color. She did not say there was no one there, just the gates were locked and the ship was gone. If there was no one there, how were they able to accomodate the passengers who booked air through RCCL?

From this article: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/08/22/irenes-gusts-strand-cruise-ship-passengers-in-san-juan/

comes this:

“There was nobody there,” she said. “Everybody was gone and there was nobody there to tell me where the ship was.”

Its called planning AHEAD. They KNEW a hurricane was coming up the coast. It can't be the first time a hurricane was close to a port and a port had to be closed early. They should know to predict these things as a company, and at the very least if their is potential that they have to leave early to let their customer know of the possibility.

IT'S NOT THE passengers fault, so people who try to blame them stop. Some of you guys protect the company way to much, get real.

All I am saying is I am VERY disapointing on how RCI is treating the people who were stranded, by basically saying its not their fault and their not going to compensate. They should of flown all 145 people to Aruba not just 15.

Well the Passengers also knew that the storm was coming so would you not hurry up and get to the ship, and alwasy somebody needs to pay, why is that? It is always a blame game, read the contract, get insurance one never knows what happens. It was Bush's fault.

This also happened to the Carnival Victory. As mentioned on John Heald's Facebook page, Carnival paid to put everyone left behind up in a hotel and flew them to Barbardos, the next port. The ones who could not fly to Barbados because they did not have a passport, required for international air travel, were sent home. It's Mother Nature's fault, not the cruiseline, not the passengers. Don't blame either of them. The cruiselines had no choice but to leave when they were told to go.

Lessons: Arrive and board early. Have insurance. Have a passport.

First off people are saying the carnival ship stayed till 6. The hurricane wasn't going to hit the port right away or the SHIP would of made the decision to leave. The cruise line is blaming the PORT AUTHORITIES for making them leave, not saying they left for the passengers safety. They are saying they left because they were told to leave and had no choice. If the hurricane was that close they would of never docked there and they would of come in late.

Also it said in one of the articles that the lady went to the dock at 5 and no one was there to tell her why the ship was not there.

Gosh, I'm really surprised that you are not contending that the Port Authority should have been responsible for getting these passengers to the next port and putting them up in hotels - after all, it was them that forced the ship to leave early. When a ship is told by local authorities to leave, they DO NOT have a choice in the matter. I remember at least one time a ship had to leave Bermuda early due to a rapidly-incoming storm. The Bermuda officials insisted they leave immediately (I believe it was to avoid damage to the dock). Many people were left on the island, but it was not the cruiseline's fault (can't remember offhand which cruiseline it was).

Please don't believe everything you read in newspaper articles, including quotes. I've been interviewed and quoted on numerous occasions by newspapers and when I read what was reported, I often just scratch my head as what ends up in print is nowhere close to what I said.

We also do not know that no attempt was made to contact passengers - maybe they did and couldn't get through or called the wrong number. Somehow all but 145 did make the ship. I was traveling once and received a call the morning I was to return from DH. Seems the airline had called my home and my flight had been canceled. Of course, I had given the airline my cell number as my "primary" number, but for some odd reason they called my home. My friend who was traveling with me never did get a call, but, fortunately, I was able to snag the last two seats on a later flight.

I can't help but wonder why Carnival was allowed to stay in port until 6 PM but RCI was kicked out of port early enough for the pier to be cleared and the gates locked up by 5:30 PM. It isn't as if the Port Authority is not aware that people are in the process of traveling to the ship.

I am getting a little worried, we have a cruise coming up in 3 months with RCI, I did purchase ins. but my question is this, I know you are not supposed to put TA names on here but I would like a little info from people who might have used them. I booked and purchased thru the website that starts with a "travel" and ends with a "city" with an "o" in between lol, the ins was about half the price than other companies. are they respectable i hope or do you get what you pay for? thanks n advance

Well the Passengers also knew that the storm was coming so would you not hurry up and get to the ship, and alwasy somebody needs to pay, why is that? It is always a blame game, read the contract, get insurance one never knows what happens. It was Bush's fault.

....BRAVO!!!!....and don't forget it is Dick Cheney and his hurricane machine that forced the early cast off in the first place....;)

I do not believe that RCI has any obligation to compensate any of the 131 pax who missed the ship and were not on cruise/air. That said, RCI must have decided that the ill will, bad press? etc will cost less in the long run than providing assistance to those 131 people. Carnival, on the other hand and who I have never sailed with, must have decided that the cost of providing assistance to their pax who missed will be recouped due to the good press and good feelings of the people that they helped.

RCI has probably lost forever a good number of those 131 pax and many of them will advise their friends, family, co-workers etc etc of their experience. Carnival has probably a very good chance of keeping the pax they helped as well as any new business that occurs from their word of mouth.

There is a litany of companies who took their customers for granted and then these companies became a footnote in business history. it really comes down to a corporate cost/payback decision. Just sayin.

I do not for a moment think that anyone checked in and then left the ship.

Some people do this in San Juan since you can board around 11:30, and final check-in is around 5 or so. It's a quick taxi ride to Old San Juan.

Not saying I would do that since we like to get there a few days ahead of time to enjoy the city. Seems like doing that would stress me out a bit. I would rather stay on the ship and get settled and relax.

It wasn't until Sunday morning that most people in Puerto Rico found out that Irene was coming. This tropical storm moved really fast and the weather changed for the worst in a couple of hours. If I have learned something on cruise critics is to arrive at least one day early to the port of departure and also arrive early to the ship. One of my best friends arrived in San Juan at 5:30 and she told me that her flight was one of the last ones to arrive. I don't really know where these passengers were, if they had late flights. But I can't imagine that they were sightseeing in San Juan. The weather was nasty and there was the "hurricane panic mode" among everyone here.

I know that RCCL should have the technology to contact their passengers during an emergency like this, but if you travel during hurricane season use some common sense. Arrive early and check for weather alerts.

I can't help but wonder why Carnival was allowed to stay in port until 6 PM but RCI was kicked out of port early enough for the pier to be cleared and the gates locked up by 5:30 PM. It isn't as if the Port Authority is not aware that people are in the process of traveling to the ship.

Carnival uses a different pier across the harbor from the one RCCL uses. Probably explains why one ship was kicked out earlier than the other.

The bottom line is that the worst part of hurricane season August-September has rock bottom prices for a reason. Your cruise can be affected by the weather and if a storm is out there, you better be prepared because anything can happen. And sometimes, there just isn't anything you can do as in this case. Trying to reach passengers not on the ship would be infeasible as most probably do not have cell phones turned on either because of flights or PR not being part of the coverage. And as a previous poster said, we have no clue what the time frame of the decision was in terms of the port officials and the captain. It could have been 3 hours or it could have been an hour. I absolutely feel for those passengers who missed the ship but it was through no fault of RC that the ship HAD to leave. It's part of the risk of cruising this time of year.

The hurricane was gonna hit the Pan American pier earlier than Old San Juan?

No, but the winds may have been affecting that pier differently. Or it may have been a case of the harbormaster had a list of ships it had to get out of port, and he decided to tell RCCL to get out of port first - because they can't all leave at the same time.

I understand that the ship had to leave early, though no fault of RCI. However, those pax showed up on time to board a ship that had already departed and that is not the pax's fault. RCI should refund their cruise fare.

Why? RCI didn't choose to leave port. This is one of those situations that just sucks, because there really isn't anyone to blame...except the weather. Why should RCI be stuck with the bill? Cruising during hurricane season is a huge risk, and unfortunately for these passengers, the odds weren't on their side. There's also the common sense aspect. If I knew there was an impending hurricane I'd be concerned about getting back to the ship (power outages, road closures, etc.) in time anyway...I'd stay on the ship.

I do not for a moment think that anyone checked in and then left the ship.

Then I would ask if you have ever cruised out of San Juan. I have!

The ships normally depart in the late evening and the cruise lines offer ship sponsered shore excursions in San Juan during the day. Pax may also check in, and then leave the ship to tour the nearby fort or other areas. It is very possible for this to happen and according to one poster on another board, they were left standed with the clothes on thier back, their waller (no passports, they were on the ship) and one credit card. So it is highly likely this happened.

I misunderstood the story...I read it and interpreted "stranding" passengers to mean leaving while in a NEW port...not sail away. :( Oops. I gathered more fuel when someone mentioned about a passengers AmEx card and passports in the ship safe (conculded they would have been on board already).

No I don't think I'd have my cell phone available because it's a different country...but I totally believe in flying in a day or two early...regardless of this ships schedule...I don't trust airports to be timely anymore...I also like to board ASAP...but that's just me. You would think though the 145 would or SHOULD have heard SOME news throughout the day about an incoming hurricane and checked in with RCI just to be safe...Of course if they were just flying in they'd be screwed regardless.

I kinda still feel if they left SIGNIFICANTLY early they should either transport them to the next port or refund the cruise money. Then the passengers could enjoy the port and make the best of it till their flight home.

San Juan, PR is not a different country. PR is a US territory. My cell phone has always worked there without a problem and without extra charges. I can remember using my cell phone there over 10 years ago.

Why is everyone bringing up that fact that they should arrive a day or two ahead? That has nothing to do with this situation. The situation is that a cruise ship was suppose to leave at 830 p.m. The port authorities forced the ship to leave early without any warning to them or the passengers.

145 people just assumed they still had time as no one had told them anything different. They all just arrive at the pier and the ship is gone and no one is there to explain why. These people weren't late according to the cruise contracts the cruise line gave out.

Maybe the problem is with the PR Port Authority Officials, what they couldn't give RCI or Carnival a few more hours? Sounds like they just told them last second to leave and you have no choice, and that they don't care they are leaving passengers behind.

IDK the whole situation is messy.

As you're from Toronto exactly how many hurricanes have you personally been through?

Found this on Travel USA Today:

"Carnival Cruise Lines left about 300 passengers behind in San Juan Sunday when approaching Hurricane Irene forced it to depart the island early. But unlike Royal Caribbean, which faced a similar problem, Carnival put all the passengers up in hotels and offered to fly them to the next port.:rolleyes:"

Unfortunately I "also" have heard thru the "grapevine" that passengers who did not have passports were well...left on their own. My first thought was how did they get there without passports...alas I guess San Juan is a US territory and perhaps you don't need a passport to fly...

I'm interested to hear the "rest" of the story. SURELY...someone will post something upon the conclusion of the cruise. :confused:

Archived