Seabourn's "house wines"

glenr

Nancy,

Oh dear -- do I have to confess that I also drank Mateus in college???And I also remember the first time I drank champagne at a wedding -- I thought it was dreadful stuff. If only I still felt that way imagne how many calories I would save.But good for your Mom -- who are we to judge. let's just be grateful Seabourn does offer a variety of wines to suit most tastes.

Chairsin, I will really confess.....in college we couldn't afford Mateus...that was afterwards. We drank Boone's Farm and as I remember it was a $1.00 a bottle. Definitely desperate college students. Then we went to lake and made "Purple Passion" and "Hop, Skip and Go Nakeds" (name only) in big jugs.

Oh, memories!

laryrob,

OT you will love the Park Hyatt in BA.

We do;one of our most favorite hotels in the world;have stayed there a number of times. Their concierge staff is the best we've ever encountered-Victoria was amazing-can get you in anywhere and has out of the wy recomendations that are superb

Sir:

There are quite a few small and delightful vineyards in Argentina which ship almost nothing to the U.S. One of these is Benegas-Lynch--the Lynch is indeed the French winemaker--but the catch is their wines are not available at every wine store. There is quite a large wine store that does carry Benegas near the Four Seasons, itself just a couple of blocks from the Hyatt. It is called Winery Recova de Posadas, and is at Av. de Libertador 500. Tel: (5411) 4325-3400. You go under La Recova--the highway flyover--near the FS, turn left, down a few steps, and it is on the corner. As with most bodegas, the wines are produced as both regular and reserve. They make a reserve Cabernet Franc and a Meritage--a bordeaux blend--that will fill your mouth with joy. There is also a very nice wine shop a block (I think) from the Hyatt as you walk along Posadas towards the Four Seasons. But they don't have Benegas.

Thank you;know right where it is and will pick up a couple of bottles(hopefully the Reserves) and carry them on! There are 2 wine stores near the Hyatt that I know of and will hit them as well. We live in Seattle and are lucky to be able to use the Willamette Valley and eastern Washington as our local wine stores!

We sailed on the Quest from Istanbul to Athens beginning on September 12. We had few complaints with the ship (beautiful, but we miss the intimacy of the triplets), food very good to outstanding) and the service (uniformly excellent, except as described below). The wine and wine service was another issue. As discussed by others, the regular wines are best described as mediocre. We were able to find some acceptable (hardly "fine") wines, but almost invariably not the ones first offered. Our assistant sommelier and most of the bar servers were quite willing to search around for whatever else was available. Surprisingly there was a Greek white wine that was quite pleasant and as I recall a red Rhone that was nice. A couple of the wines were pure plonk.

As we have done in the past, we brought some special wines of our own (in checked luggage, as always). Our interactions with the head sommelier were not the best (from the beginning we made it clear that we would like him, his assistant, and an assistant maitre d ( whom we knew from two previous Seabourn cruises)to have generous tastes of each. I knew we were in trouble when on the first night he made it plain that he was doing us a big favor by using "special" glasses for our wine. Although each of the wines were really quite special, he did not seem to interested and, in fact did not even save a taste for the assistant maitre d', in spite of our request. On the night that he opened a 21 year old Bordeaux (without decanting) he tasted it and immediately pronounced it not good, although he said we could drink it if we wanted. He poured the wine and disappeared. It turns out that the wine was awesomely good. We saved some for the assistant maitre d' who told us the next day that he and a colleague of his who also tasted it were blown away by the wine. After this on subsequent evenings we had difficulty getting any wine service (unless the assistant sommelier was around) until someone in management spoke with the sommelier. We were rewarded with fawning, but seemingly insincere service. So unSeabourn. In the past our experience with Seabourn wine service has ranged from very good to extraordinary (e.g. Madjic, late of the Legend, now I believe bar manager on the Pride). In sum, the wine experience on the Quest was far below the other aspects of the Quest.

I realize that many Seabourn guests don't have a great deal of interest in wines, but there are many who do believe that the high culinary standard of Seabourn should be matched with well thought out wine selections. Presently it is not.

The attitude of this particular Sommelier was mentioned to us recently by friends who had been on Quest. I hope you put something in your guest questionnaire, and also that the powers that be have read this and are doing something about it. It is sad when one member of staff somewhat spoils a cruise for you, when everyone else is wonderful - we have had this happen with a very surly bartender at the patio bar on Sojourn.

The attitude of this particular Sommelier was mentioned to us recently by friends who had been on Quest. I hope you put something in your guest questionnaire, and also that the powers that be have read this and are doing something about it. It is sad when one member of staff somewhat spoils a cruise for you, when everyone else is wonderful - we have had this happen with a very surly bartender at the patio bar on Sojourn.

We did mention it in the questionnaire, but we certainly did not let it spoil the cruise. We still highly recommend Seabourn, but hope they keep working to make the experience even better.

Any Sommelier who would open a twenty-one year old red wine, especially a Bordeaux and declare it "not good" without at least giving it time to breathe let alone decant, can hardly be called a sommelier. I have found that the term is used quite loosely anyway on the cruise ships. Some are very good, some not so much, the level of attitude and snootiness in direct inverse proportion to their level of knowledge.

I whole-heartedly agree with your assessment of the included wines. Seabourn needs to improve this area tremendously. There are many very drinkable wines in the $15-20 retail range that I assume they would get for near 1/2 price wholesale. The wines they serve are in the $5-8 retail range yet nearly undrinkable and certainly don't enhance the dining experience. I almost always bring bottles or a case of my own. Perhaps thats the point.

We did mention it in the questionnaire, but we certainly did not let it spoil the cruise. We still highly recommend Seabourn, but hope they keep working to make the experience even better.

No, of course it does not spoil the cruise - just that when you are asked, you say it was all wonderful BUT ..., instead of just it was all wonderful! I have no idea if our messages are read by Head Office, but it might help to prevent the odd problem, usually with just the one member of staff, if they take notice and do something quickly.

We also have cruised on Quest, and like you we had an altercation with the Sommelier. Yes it did not spoil our cruise but as Lincslady says our cruise was great BUT!!

We also mentioned it to the Management so it seems that nohting has been done, we cruised in August of this year.

Also we found that the wines served at dinner were in most cases just "Plonk" as you say. Not like our Sojourn cruise earlier in the year. I also did mention this on the questionaire when we left.

We are du to go on Odyssey soon so lets hope that the wines have improved in the past few months.

Interestingly, the parsimonious approach to the " included" wines does not seem to extend to " included" spirits - unless things have changed recently. Long may it be so.

Anyone agree? And know why?

Yes Marianh the wines were not good, but they have not changed the spirits, YET!!!:eek::eek:

Interestingly, the parsimonious approach to the " included" wines does not seem to extend to " included" spirits - unless things have changed recently. Long may it be so.

Anyone agree? And know why?

Could it be because more drink wine than spirits? and in larger quantities? Cost factor?

Hoya68,

Did you speak to the hotman while you were aboard and inform him that the so called sommelier was entirely incompetent? Which brings me to my next point. Calling these people sommeliers in the first place is like calling a a bar of Nestles fine Swiss chocolate. These are not true sommeliers and most know less about wine than many of the passengers. Many are waiters who have been coached a bit about wine, know the basics about what is on offer but if you asked a question about anything else they 'd be lost. That is not to say that there isn't usually one knowledgeable person on board but hardly enough to service everyone. At least this has been my experience and of course, it has never detracted from my cruises so I just know what to expect and am not disappointed.

Any Sommelier who would open a twenty-one year old red wine, especially a Bordeaux and declare it "not good" without at least giving it time to breathe let alone decant, can hardly be called a sommelier. I have found that the term is used quite loosely anyway on the cruise ships. Some are very good, some not so much, the level of attitude and snootiness in direct inverse proportion to their level of knowledge.

I whole-heartedly agree with your assessment of the included wines. Seabourn needs to improve this area tremendously. There are many very drinkable wines in the $15-20 retail range that I assume they would get for near 1/2 price wholesale. The wines they serve are in the $5-8 retail range yet nearly undrinkable and certainly don't enhance the dining experience. I almost always bring bottles or a case of my own. Perhaps thats the point.

I was told they charge a corkage fee if you bring it to the dining room

We sailed on the Quest from Istanbul to Athens beginning on September 12. We had few complaints with the ship (beautiful, but we miss the intimacy of the triplets), food very good to outstanding) and the service (uniformly excellent, except as described below). The wine and wine service was another issue. As discussed by others, the regular wines are best described as mediocre. We were able to find some acceptable (hardly "fine") wines, but almost invariably not the ones first offered. Our assistant sommelier and most of the bar servers were quite willing to search around for whatever else was available. Surprisingly there was a Greek white wine that was quite pleasant and as I recall a red Rhone that was nice. A couple of the wines were pure plonk.

As we have done in the past, we brought some special wines of our own (in checked luggage, as always). Our interactions with the head sommelier were not the best (from the beginning we made it clear that we would like him, his assistant, and an assistant maitre d ( whom we knew from two previous Seabourn cruises)to have generous tastes of each. I knew we were in trouble when on the first night he made it plain that he was doing us a big favor by using "special" glasses for our wine. Although each of the wines were really quite special, he did not seem to interested and, in fact did not even save a taste for the assistant maitre d', in spite of our request. On the night that he opened a 21 year old Bordeaux (without decanting) he tasted it and immediately pronounced it not good, although he said we could drink it if we wanted. He poured the wine and disappeared. It turns out that the wine was awesomely good. We saved some for the assistant maitre d' who told us the next day that he and a colleague of his who also tasted it were blown away by the wine. After this on subsequent evenings we had difficulty getting any wine service (unless the assistant sommelier was around) until someone in management spoke with the sommelier. We were rewarded with fawning, but seemingly insincere service. So unSeabourn. In the past our experience with Seabourn wine service has ranged from very good to extraordinary (e.g. Madjic, late of the Legend, now I believe bar manager on the Pride). In sum, the wine experience on the Quest was far below the other aspects of the Quest.

I realize that many Seabourn guests don't have a great deal of interest in wines, but there are many who do believe that the high culinary standard of Seabourn should be matched with well thought out wine selections. Presently it is not.

Assuming your bottle of bordeaux was 1990 vintage, the sommelier must be deranged! This was arguably the finest post war vintage with wines to die for. And so they should be given their cost! Purists would say the best possibly need another 3 to 5 years to be at their peak; but life is too short for such niceties. JFI what wine was it?

I really am shocked at the reluctance to provide " decent" glasses. We have had the same problem ourselves. It seems that if you buy off the premium list you will get them. Almost impossible for the " included" wines unless you are extremely persistant. But lets face it , there are just one or two on the list that really benefit from " proper" glasses. I will not speculate as to the hidden agenda re glasses policy. For my part I will always request the most appropriate glass for my wine - whatever the price point. And if I don't get it, I will escalate the issue. It works.

After all Seabourn cruises are supposedly at the luxury end of the market. Their " included" wines are described as " fine" in Seabourns publicity. And what should " fine " wines be served in? And no, I am not a wine snob:rolleyes:

Speaking of buying wine and bringing it on board ...now that we have booked Christmas/New years on the Quest can anyone tell me which of the wine shops in the Fort Lauderdale has a good slection of non mass marketed wines? Total Wine just does not cut it for us -- not that we will be buying any 1990 bordeaux either!:D

Speaking of buying wine and bringing it on board ...now that we have booked Christmas/New years on the Quest can anyone tell me which of the wine shops in the Fort Lauderdale has a good slection of non mass marketed wines? Total Wine just does not cut it for us -- not that we will be buying any 1990 bordeaux either!:D

Crown Wine & Spirits has a very good and deep selection of wines, at competitive prices. They have several stores in Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano,Lauderhill, Hollywood,etc. We came across the one in Pompano while driving on N. Federal Hwy and were impressed.

Check online for one near your pre-board itinerary.

Thank you -- will check them out.Sure hope don't end up with the same "sommleier" people have been posting about on the Quest. My hubby is adament about having decent sized glasses when we drink a nice bottle of wine.

Thank you -- will check them out.Sure hope don't end up with the same "sommleier" people have been posting about on the Quest. My hubby is adament about having decent sized glasses when we drink a nice bottle of wine.

Picky ourselves about the right glasses to the point of considering bringing are own as in most instances the staff will not provide the better stemware unless you buy wines from their limited menu. Awkward and difficult to pack or carry but maybe doable if logistics allow to find and buy them locally pre-board.

Archived