Seabourn's "house wines"

glenr

On the asumption that wine quality has fallen, as many here suggest, can you think of anyone else likely to be responsible other than the bean counters? I'd be surprised if it was a deliberate plot to get us to buy off the reserve list.

Not quite sure who "bean counters" are . But even if they are "responsible", I would expect their decisions to be approved/ endorsed by senior management. Hence my suggestion that comments could be directed to CEO/ Chaiman/ owner. My ( somewhat limited) experience of American Companies is that they tend to be heirarchical with only limited devolvement of executive decisions. Perhaps Wripro can educate me if I have this wrong.

Yes, but,

How does one contact the CEO/chairman

There does not appear to be an official contact email address at this level. Everything just goes through Seabourn club and WHO knows if it gets passed on to the Man in charge?

go onto the Seabourn site and look at the team or executive team link

Well done powlan - let everyone know if and when you get a reply. Good luck!!

this letter was written from Robert.

Thank you for contacting Seabourn Cruise Line. The wines that are available on board vary depending on the ship and where she is currently located in the world as well as to what is available at different ports when restocking. I am attaching a sample of a complimentary list, but on your sailing it might be completely different wines that are available. We do also offer "Premium" wines that guests may purchase while on board also.

As far as shipping wines to the ship, we can order and have that delivered to the ship, but there might be a surcharge for that. Other than that, guests may physically bring as much wine on board as they can carry, but it must remain with them at all times. It is not allowed with the checked luggage, which means guests may not just ship a case of wine to the ship should they choose.

If you would like us to special order wine for you to have in your suite, we need a minimum of 60 days notice to process and have the items delivered to the ships. I would need specific quantities and the type/brand tht you would like.

If you hve further questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Robert

Seabourn

COMPLIMENTARY WINE LIST

White wine

Wingspan, Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand

Anakena, Sauvignon Blanc, Chile

Santa Alicia, Sauviognon Blanc, Chile

Michael Lynch, Sauvignon Blanc & Semillon, France

Robert Mondavi, Chardonnay, USA

Vina el Aromo, Chardonnay, Chile

Elsa Bianchi, Chardonnay, Argentina

Petit Chablis, Michael Bouchard, France

Louis Latour, Grande Ardeche, Chardonnay, France

Santa Margarita, Pinot Grigio, Italy

Lagar de Bouza, Albarino, Spain

Red wine

Jankris, Merlot, USA

Jankris Picaro, Zinfindal &Cab, SAUV.&Merlot, USA

Arrowhood, Merlot, USA

Quivera, Zinfindal, USA

Passo Double, Malbec & Corvina, Argentina

Los Tonesses, Malbec, Argentina

Chianti Classico Riserva, Sangiovese, Italy

Grao, Vasco, Portugal

Serego Alighieri, Tuscan Red, Italy

Cote du Rhone, Syrah,& Grenache, France

Anakena, Merlot, Chile

Anke Bland 2, Chile

Vina Mestizo, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chile

Blush/Rose

Beringer White Zinfandel, Napa Valley, Califoria USA

Sweet wine

Chateau Saint Amand, AOC Sauternes, Bordeaux, France

Spy Valley, Noble Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand

Clearly many of our fellow Americans drink the stuff -- everytime we ordered rose at lunch we had to make sure they did NOT bring us the white zin but instead the french rose( which so far, the above list notwithstanding, they have always had).

Clearly many of our fellow Americans drink the stuff -- everytime we ordered rose at lunch we had to make sure they did NOT bring us the white zin but instead the french rose( which so far, the above list notwithstanding, they have always had).
Yes, Chairsin, there are white zin drinkers. My mother always liked it because it was so sweet and akin to sodas in her mind. Of course she was not a drinker and she was in her 80's. All her bridge club cronies drank a similar substance. When I grew up, it was Mateus, Lake Country White, Blue Nun etc. and then replaced by white zin. Most serious wine drinkers we know are not white zin people, but there certainly are those out there that still do. I have never seen anyone on the Seabourn drinking it but I certainly don't know what everyone drinks. It makes me smile to think there are still a lot of "my mother" running around having a white zin every once in a while!

Nancy,

Oh dear -- do I have to confess that I also drank Mateus in college???And I also remember the first time I drank champagne at a wedding -- I thought it was dreadful stuff. If only I still felt that way imagne how many calories I would save.But good for your Mom -- who are we to judge. let's just be grateful Seabourn does offer a variety of wines to suit most tastes.

In Robert's reply to my question of how do I ship some of my wine to the ship he mentions that we cannot ship wine in checked luggage but can bring wine aboard that we can carry. (see post 108). If we can't bring bottles of liquid through security and we can't ship it then it seems like we have to go through them to get what we want. There must be some other way. Cruisers?

In Robert's reply to my question of how do I ship some of my wine to the ship he mentions that we cannot ship wine in checked luggage but can bring wine aboard that we can carry. (see post 108). If we can't bring bottles of liquid through security and we can't ship it then it seems like we have to go through them to get what we want. There must be some other way. Cruisers?

We use wine packers and ship our 12 bottle case with our checked luggage.

HD_5450_M.JPG.5c3f649ed9267b3fefe7dbac5af60f7f.JPG

this letter was written from Robert.

Thank you for contacting Seabourn Cruise Line. The wines that are available on board vary depending on the ship and where she is currently located in the world as well as to what is available at different ports when restocking. I am attaching a sample of a complimentary list, but on your sailing it might be completely different wines that are available. We do also offer "Premium" wines that guests may purchase while on board also.

As far as shipping wines to the ship, we can order and have that delivered to the ship, but there might be a surcharge for that. Other than that, guests may physically bring as much wine on board as they can carry, but it must remain with them at all times. It is not allowed with the checked luggage, which means guests may not just ship a case of wine to the ship should they choose.

If you would like us to special order wine for you to have in your suite, we need a minimum of 60 days notice to process and have the items delivered to the ships. I would need specific quantities and the type/brand tht you would like.

If you hve further questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Robert

Seabourn

COMPLIMENTARY WINE LIST

White wine

Wingspan, Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand

Anakena, Sauvignon Blanc, Chile

Santa Alicia, Sauviognon Blanc, Chile

Michael Lynch, Sauvignon Blanc & Semillon, France

Robert Mondavi, Chardonnay, USA

Vina el Aromo, Chardonnay, Chile

Elsa Bianchi, Chardonnay, Argentina

Petit Chablis, Michael Bouchard, France

Louis Latour, Grande Ardeche, Chardonnay, France

Santa Margarita, Pinot Grigio, Italy

Lagar de Bouza, Albarino, Spain

Red wine

Jankris, Merlot, USA

Jankris Picaro, Zinfindal &Cab, SAUV.&Merlot, USA

Arrowhood, Merlot, USA

Quivera, Zinfindal, USA

Passo Double, Malbec & Corvina, Argentina

Los Tonesses, Malbec, Argentina

Chianti Classico Riserva, Sangiovese, Italy

Grao, Vasco, Portugal

Serego Alighieri, Tuscan Red, Italy

Cote du Rhone, Syrah,& Grenache, France

Anakena, Merlot, Chile

Anke Bland 2, Chile

Vina Mestizo, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chile

Blush/Rose

Beringer White Zinfandel, Napa Valley, Califoria USA

Sweet wine

Chateau Saint Amand, AOC Sauternes, Bordeaux, France

Spy Valley, Noble Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand

Actually, saving a couple of duds, this list does not look as bad as some posters have suggested ( IMHO).

OK, some are at a lowish price point and can be found discounted in supermarkets. But some also are good honest everyday drinking wines. And a couple, including the Sauternes ( retails approx £15 in the UK), are very acceptable.

Of course it is all a matter of taste. Actually, I think Seabourn is missing a trick by not offering wines ( to pay for) at a price point between zero ( the included wines) and the rather high price of the wines on their premium list. In this way, all tastes could be catered for and there would be an extra revenue stream for Seabourn.

...If we can't bring bottles of liquid through security and we can't ship it then it seems like we have to go through them to get what we want. There must be some other way. Cruisers?

You can take all the bottles you want on the plane in your checked luggage.

You can take all the bottle you want in your carryon as you board the ship.

Yes, this means you would have to take the bottles out of your checked bags and put it in your carry on bags after the flight and before you board.

In reality, rule or no rule, unless somebody checks your checked bags, you could still have some in there.

One can also purchase wines at a store in the city of embarkation and either bring them on board or have them delivered to the ship, if possible.

That's waht we're planning to do from Buenos Aires-already have spoken with the wine store-and the sommelier at the Park Hyatt. Also agree you can ship in luggage and remove to carry on but probably not a good idea for really good wines!

That's waht we're planning to do from Buenos Aires-already have spoken with the wine store-and the sommelier at the Park Hyatt. Also agree you can ship in luggage and remove to carry on but probably not a good idea for really good wines!

Sir:

There are quite a few small and delightful vineyards in Argentina which ship almost nothing to the U.S. One of these is Benegas-Lynch--the Lynch is indeed the French winemaker--but the catch is their wines are not available at every wine store. There is quite a large wine store that does carry Benegas near the Four Seasons, itself just a couple of blocks from the Hyatt. It is called Winery Recova de Posadas, and is at Av. de Libertador 500. Tel: (5411) 4325-3400. You go under La Recova--the highway flyover--near the FS, turn left, down a few steps, and it is on the corner. As with most bodegas, the wines are produced as both regular and reserve. They make a reserve Cabernet Franc and a Meritage--a bordeaux blend--that will fill your mouth with joy. There is also a very nice wine shop a block (I think) from the Hyatt as you walk along Posadas towards the Four Seasons. But they don't have Benegas.

Sir:

There are quite a few small and delightful vineyards in Argentina which ship almost nothing to the U.S. One of these is Benegas-Lynch--the Lynch is indeed the French winemaker--but the catch is their wines are not available at every wine store. There is quite a large wine store that does carry Benegas near the Four Seasons, itself just a couple of blocks from the Hyatt. It is called Winery Recova de Posadas, and is at Av. de Libertador 500. Tel: (5411) 4325-3400. You go under La Recova--the highway flyover--near the FS, turn left, down a few steps, and it is on the corner. As with most bodegas, the wines are produced as both regular and reserve. They make a reserve Cabernet Franc and a Meritage--a bordeaux blend--that will fill your mouth with joy. There is also a very nice wine shop a block (I think) from the Hyatt as you walk along Posadas towards the Four Seasons. But they don't have Benegas.

The Cab. Franc and the Meritage are available in the UK. But at some cost. The 2006 vintage of both is retailing at £40 a bottle. The Meritage is highly rated. Just for interest and perhaps as a guide for laryrob can you recall the price in Argentina?

The Cab. Franc and the Meritage are available in the UK. But at some cost. The 2006 vintage of both is retailing at £40 a bottle. The Meritage is highly rated. Just for interest and perhaps as a guide for laryrob can you recall the price in Argentina?

I didn't mention the price becasue I wasn't sure (and I know you will hold me to whatever number I use) but I believe it was in the neighborhood of AR$120 pesos. Which would be about US$30.Anyway, lucky you. I have only found the non-reserve wines here in NYC, though there are several internet sellers in the UK who carry it. But add the shipping cost and customs clearance via an expediter (and a small but inevitable tax) and well, better to fly to BA and drink it there. One can ship a case with you as luggage when you fly, and they do package the wine carefully and the breakage, I'm told, is virtually nil.

I didn't mention the price becasue I wasn't sure (and I know you will hold me to whatever number I use) but I believe it was in the neighborhood of AR$120 pesos. Which would be about US$30.Anyway, lucky you. I have only found the non-reserve wines here in NYC, though there are several internet sellers in the UK who carry it. But add the shipping cost and customs clearance via an expediter (and a small but inevitable tax) and well, better to fly to BA and drink it there. One can ship a case with you as luggage when you fly, and they do package the wine carefully and the breakage, I'm told, is virtually nil.

Oh well, looks as if I will have to stick with Theakstons Old Peculiar until I win the lottery and can fly BA ( new direct route) to BA. Naturally Writer 100 you will know TOP is an inexpensive ale brewed with fuddles in Masham, the gateway to the Yorkshire Dales. Drunk warm.

On special occasions I may (sp)lash out on some Blue Nun. Times are hard this side of the pond. :(

Archived