Acapulco dropped from itineraries?????

martinimadam

We stopped in Alcapulco in 2009 on our PC cruise. We didn't schedule any shore ex's but did a short walking tour near the ship. I wasn't impressed. IMO, you're not missing much by not stopping there. There might be something really great, but we didn't see it.

DW almost got us into trouble though, we were a ways from the ship in a small complex of shops. She saw an open shop at the end of a dark, urine smelling alley. She headed down it focused on the shop and not the local environment. About half way down I finally got her focused on her surroundings. We exited very fast. We didn't have any problems but it didn't take much to imagine what might happen there to a couple of gringo tourists.

John

The evening news tonight just carried a story indicating a large drug cartel in Acapulco had sent the public school teachers messages demanding they hand over 50% of their salaries to the cartel or they and their families would be killed.

The demand also required the school system to furnish the cartel lists of all teachers, their addresses, phone numbers, salary amounts and other personal details.

As result, the teachers have refused to report for work and the schools are padlocked.

A similar situation with the teachers exists in some towns along the US boarder.

The drug gangs are branching out into extortion.

That once beautiful place has become a sewer of corruption. No cruise ship should go there until things change.

IMO

If they deem it safe they will go and if they deem it too dangerous you will get a nice sea day in safety. The merchants are suffering but some of the trouble makers don't realize they are "killing the goose that lays the golden eggs."

The evening news tonight just carried a story indicating a large drug cartel in Acapulco had sent the public school teachers messages demanding they hand over 50% of their salaries to the cartel or they and their families would be killed.

The demand also required the school system to furnish the cartel lists of all teachers, their addresses, phone numbers, salary amounts and other personal details.

As result, the teachers have refused to report for work and the schools are padlocked.

A similar situation with the teachers exists in some towns along the US boarder.

The drug gangs are branching out into extortion.

That once beautiful place has become a sewer of corruption. No cruise ship should go there until things change.

IMO

I read that too. It is sickening. :mad:

We stopped in Alcapulco in 2009 on our PC cruise. We didn't schedule any shore ex's but did a short walking tour near the ship. I wasn't impressed. IMO, you're not missing much by not stopping there. There might be something really great, but we didn't see it.

DW almost got us into trouble though, we were a ways from the ship in a small complex of shops. She saw an open shop at the end of a dark, urine smelling alley. She headed down it focused on the shop and not the local environment. About half way down I finally got her focused on her surroundings. We exited very fast. We didn't have any problems but it didn't take much to imagine what might happen there to a couple of gringo tourists.

John

Oh, you didn't go to see the cliff divers? :(

I just received an email from our TA, with an attached revised itin from HAL notifying us:

"Due to guest safety concerns the call to Acapulco has been replaced with a day at sea. We apologize for the inconvenience and a $75 per person shipboard

credit (for the first and second guest in a stateroom only) will be applied to your reservation."

I just received an email from our TA, with an attached revised itin from HAL notifying us:

"Due to guest safety concerns the call to Acapulco has been replaced with a day at sea. We apologize for the inconvenience and a $75 per person shipboard

credit (for the first and second guest in a stateroom only) will be applied to your reservation."

When are you cruising? I wonder why they don't substitute another port?

If they deem it safe they will go and if they deem it too dangerous you will get a nice sea day in safety. The merchants are suffering but some of the trouble makers don't realize they are "killing the goose that lays the golden eggs."

I think the golden goose who wins this one is feeding the insatiable illegal US drug appetite. Lost tourism in Mexico is small patates to the money to be made feeding the US its drop-out drugs.

We stopped in Acapulco last fall on the Infinity. Had a great day there with a private tour set up through our roll call. We did conclude however, "Been there, done that, no need to go back." Really enjoyed the Chapel of Peace and the divers. Police presence was VERY evident - and they carry big guns!

I am also curious why another port was not substituted on your cruise. The next day our cruise stopped in Huatulco. We loved that stop, and would be very willing to go back!

I lived in San Diego area for many years, and watched the whole mexico thing evolve over the years. I can see why the cruise lines are pulling out Puerto Vartialla, Mazatalan, Aucapulaco.. Mexcico is in a state of turmoil and crime is rapant encouraged by the drug cartels. It seems that petty criminals are encouraged to act up who are totaly unrelated to drugs. Kidnapping in mexico is now a growth industry.

We just stopped going to any Mexican port. Even Cabo san lucas is getting grim.. I had a friend who raved about Mexico murdered there some years ago.

On a cruise to the Carrabbean last year we stopped at Cozumel and I decided against My wife wanted to go... so I let her. She speaks spanish well, and she did not get even 100 yards before calling it quits after listening ( in spanish) to the converdations of locals sizing up tourists for possible targets... She was back onboard in less than an hour...

Enough said... till things change we will steer clear of anyplace in Mexico:(

I lived in San Diego area for many years, and watched the whole mexico thing evolve over the years. I can see why the cruise lines are pulling out Puerto Vartialla, Mazatalan, Aucapulaco.. Mexcico is in a state of turmoil and crime is rapant encouraged by the drug cartels. It seems that petty criminals are encouraged to act up who are totaly unrelated to drugs. Kidnapping in mexico is now a growth industry.

We just stopped going to any Mexican port. Even Cabo san lucas is getting grim.. I had a friend who raved about Mexico murdered there some years ago.

On a cruise to the Carrabbean last year we stopped at Cozumel and I decided against My wife wanted to go... so I let her. She speaks spanish well, and she did not get even 100 yards before calling it quits after listening ( in spanish) to the converdations of locals sizing up tourists for possible targets... She was back onboard in less than an hour...

Enough said... till things change we will steer clear of anyplace in Mexico:(

Crimes are committed in the U.S. as well.

I absolutely dispute your wife's assessment of the situation in Cozumel as I have stayed on the island many times, most recently 6 nights in July. Crime is very rare on the island and virtually none of it is perpetuated against tourists. The only targets locals are sizing up tourists for is to sell them jewelry and time shares. Where tourists are in danger is when they get too drunk so they fall down, or if they rent a scooter, or especially if they do both at the same time.

I'd feel safer in any part of Cozumel than I would in many places in Miami, for instance, and in many places in Hawaii. Cancun has had incidents, to be sure, but Cozumel is only accessible by ferry and is not on any drug or gun migration path to/from the U.S. and that keeps out the bad guys. Plus, as the largest cruise ship port in the world, not to mention hotels filled with vacation scuba divers, and the "Camp David" for the current Mexican president, the locals have plenty of reason to keep it that way.

As for the Mexican Riviera ports, I'm looking forward to my cruise in November in safe Cabo san Lucas and Puerto Vallarta and am disappointed that safe Mazatlan was removed from our itinerary. Crimes against tourists are virtually nil in those ports and one would have to almost want to get into trouble in order to get into trouble.

Archived