Does anyone else feel bad for some of the workers?

valtandc

It amazes me how rude some people are to the workers, especially the wait and food service workers. They work their tales off and you see them everywhere morning, noon, night. The on top of it have to deal with some extremely rude people who feel entitled to act like asses and get angry when the smallest thing goes wrong or there is no bacon left for them to scoff down their daily 2 pound intake.

When you work in the service industry, that is what you sometimes have to put up with...it is not for the weak of heart by any means.

Some people can be awful, but the good people more than make up for it :)

No I don't feel sorry for the crew...........I fell sorry for the rude people everywhere because obviously they are not happy.

agree. i am sure the crew expects some every cruise. i just can't understand why people want to be that way. to me it's so much easier to be nice, gets you alot further in life.

The crew are gratefull that they have a good paying job, no commute to work, freinds surrounding them, vacation pay and ports to visit. Rude people are just part of the job. The server at Ryan's, waffle house, the sales lady at walmart all deal with the same jerks on land but they do not have the perks the crew have.

I think the number of rude/obnoxious passengers is exceeded by those of us who treat the crew with the respect they deserve. It is a tough job they have chosen. I feel sorry for the rude/obnoxious people their lives must just be miserable in order for them to treat others that way. I cringe when I hear someone refer to their room steward as their "cabin boy" :mad:. I would love to say something to them, but it would just be a waste of my time.

No I do not feel sorry

It's the customer service industry they will learn how to deal with it

And the ones who excell will have a very good lively hood ( think j heald)

When you are in the biz you know a percentage of people are bozo's

Most are not. It's part of the job

I feel sorry for those related to the rude people, they have to deal with them day in and day out.

YUP! I work in retail and I am the go-to person for "difficult customers". I have had people yell at me, tell me how stupid I must be, how much I suck at my job..and at life. I have had people accuse me of ruining their life and so on. Its those times when I see a poor old lady (wife) cowering, embarrassed a few feet away-or a child (son)staring, also embarrassed that I really do feel sorry for the families of people like this. When they walk away from me, my time with them if over-but their poor families have to go thru this abuse and embarrassment all the time! Sometimes when the crazy people are going off on me I just want to take their loved ones and give them a hug-and tell THEM I am sorry that they have to deal with this kind of behavior.

What is boils down to is that we are all human beings and we should treat each other as such. No one is less than anyone else-yes some people may wait on you, may serve you-but they are not beneath you. We should all be greatful to each other for our contributions.

It amazes me how rude some people are to the workers, especially the wait and food service workers. They work their tales off and you see them everywhere morning, noon, night. The on top of it have to deal with some extremely rude people who feel entitled to act like asses and get angry when the smallest thing goes wrong or there is no bacon left for them to scoff down their daily 2 pound intake.

i'm a bit confounded. these individuals chose this profession, can quit any time, and we are supposed to feel bad for them.

i guess no, not for them, sewer workers, or even teachers. i am still thinking before someone hires you, you apply for that job. and when you choose to move on, you quit, and look for another one.

Even though they cant say it out loud, and they still might have a smile on their face, I like to imagine what they are saying mentally to that rude idiot in their head :D

I observed one loudmouth in the lido buffet at breakfast who was squawking about forgetting her spoon for her cereal, instead of getting up and walking the 5 feet to the counter, she demands, in the most condesending tone possible to the man clearing tables, "GO GET ME A SPOON" I looked around and saw plenty of jaws dropped, and the guy went right away to get her one, while he was doing that she was getting a barrage of comments from all around her, and several passengers apologized to him, he just smiled and said 'part of the job, but thank you'

Even though they cant say it out loud, and they still might have a smile on their face, I like to imagine what they are saying mentally to that rude idiot in their head :D

I observed one loudmouth in the lido buffet at breakfast who was squawking about forgetting her spoon for her cereal, instead of getting up and walking the 5 feet to the counter, she demands, in the most condesending tone possible to the man clearing tables, "GO GET ME A SPOON" I looked around and saw plenty of jaws dropped, and the guy went right away to get her one, while he was doing that she was getting a barrage of comments from all around her, and several passengers apologized to him, he just smiled and said 'part of the job, but thank you'

This is why I could NEVER deal with food service in any way.

I'd have licked the spoon before handing it over.

When I was still in the process of getting my cosmotology license (fancy word isn't it?? :rolleyes:) I was shampooing at a salon.

This one guy (I will never forget this and this happened when I was 16) would constantly stare straight at my b**bs while I was washing his hair in the sink.

OK, most guys will take a peek....I understand that. This guy blatantly kept his eyes there and I was so uncomfortable....after a few times I just decided that was enough and I took the freaking hose and aimed it straight at those eyes and soaked him.

:D

No I didn't lose my job

Yes I felt really good about it

No, I never washed his hair again....my choice.

Yeah...you wouldn't want to piss me off if I was handling your food or utensils :D

I can tell by your reply you MAY be one of those people.These folks are NOT looking for any body to feel sorry for them just to be treated with common respect.

"those people"?

not sure what you mean, but as a business owner, i generally only hire people looking for a job.

I agree-people should find a job that they like, and I really dont "feel sorry" for anyone that has a job. However, I think the OP was meaning to say-do you ever feel sorry for the workers when people treat them like they are put on this earth to wipe their asses for them etc. Too often service industry workers are treated like scum. Obviously, part of why we all cruise is the great service the crew gives us...but sometimes customers act like they are the center of this world-demanding all the time and attention from the crew-making it impossible for the crew to give good service to other, nicer passengers. I dont think we need to "feel sorry" for them-but I think the op was more asking...can you be sympathetic to the way crew are treated sometimes..to which, the answer is YES!

I also would like to encourage you to consider this possibility-if you have not seen your waiter, or your room steward, or whomever you would like to see but have not in a long stretch of time. Consider that their time may all be sucked up in dealing with some idiot who thinks he is the center of the world. Give the wait staff the benefit of the doubt, be sympathetic. Make your request, have patience and understanding. Just my two cents:)

. I dont think we need to "feel sorry" for them-but I think the op was more asking...can you be sympathetic to the way crew are treated sometimes..to which, the answer is YES!

:)

Absolutely :)

The best way to deal with a situation like this when you see a person mistreating a crew member is just to turn around and be the exact opposite...one nice word, deed (or tip :D) can erase all the bad crap.

I agree-people should find a job that they like, and I really dont "feel sorry" for anyone that has a job. However, I think the OP was meaning to say-do you ever feel sorry for the workers when people treat them like they are put on this earth to wipe their asses for them etc. Too often service industry workers are treated like scum. Obviously, part of why we all cruise is the great service the crew gives us...but sometimes customers act like they are the center of this world-demanding all the time and attention from the crew-making it impossible for the crew to give good service to other, nicer passengers. I dont think we need to "feel sorry" for them-but I think the op was more asking...can you be sympathetic to the way crew are treated sometimes..to which, the answer is YES!

I'm not sure why I'd feel bad especially for "service" industry workers, since the same thing is going to apply to to anyone those types of people come across: Their barber, insurance agent, mailman, mechanic, doctor, teacher, employee, lawyer, the person in front of them at the supermarket.... the list goes on and on.

Archived