Does anyone else feel bad for some of the workers?

valtandc

I feel sorry for those related to the rude people, they have to deal with them day in and day out.

Thank you....your pity is appreciated. We sailed on the Inspiration with my extended family a few years ago. My Step-Father was horrible with our asst. waitress. I felt so bad for her and was so embarrassed by his rude behavior. She was an excellant waitress (my DD who was 7 at the time was in tears the last day because she was going to miss her so much)...but he complained about something at every meal (things like not getting his coffee the second he sat down.) Needless to say I never extended the invitation to them to sail with us again.

I agree-people should find a job that they like, and I really dont "feel sorry" for anyone that has a job. However, I think the OP was meaning to say-do you ever feel sorry for the workers when people treat them like they are put on this earth to wipe their asses for them etc. Too often service industry workers are treated like scum. Obviously, part of why we all cruise is the great service the crew gives us...but sometimes customers act like they are the center of this world-demanding all the time and attention from the crew-making it impossible for the crew to give good service to other, nicer passengers. I dont think we need to "feel sorry" for them-but I think the op was more asking...can you be sympathetic to the way crew are treated sometimes..to which, the answer is YES!

I also would like to encourage you to consider this possibility-if you have not seen your waiter, or your room steward, or whomever you would like to see but have not in a long stretch of time. Consider that their time may all be sucked up in dealing with some idiot who thinks he is the center of the world. Give the wait staff the benefit of the doubt, be sympathetic. Make your request, have patience and understanding. Just my two cents:)

A well oiled business would not let other customers wait because of some idiot.......that is what their managers are for.....so while I can sympathize, other customers should not have to suffer.......

Thank you....your pity is appreciated. We sailed on the Inspiration with my extended family a few years ago. My Step-Father was horrible with our asst. waitress. I felt so bad for her and was so embarrassed by his rude behavior. She was an excellant waitress (my DD who was 7 at the time was in tears the last day because she was going to miss her so much)...but he complained about something at every meal (things like not getting his coffee the second he sat down.) Needless to say I never extended the invitation to them to sail with us again.

I would have apologized for him in front of him............been there done that......

First cruise I heard a woman having a fit that there were not enough raisins in her Raisin Bran? Crew member went and got her another box.

I have worked in the Service Industry and Retail most of my life. I went to school many years ago for bookkeeping and Accounting. I like being around people not locked to a desk. I have to say 98.5% of my customers are interesting, nice people and just wanted to be treated right. There are the other 1.5% that should not be allowed out of their cage.

I feel everybody should have to work one year somewhere, where they have to work with the general public, NOT in a managers position. I give 110% to all my customers and will go out of my way to help them. Mess with me I will still do my job and give you 100%. Come to me for help, not going out of my way for the customer that makes me want to cringe when I see them coming.

I would have apologized for him in front of him............been there done that......

Oh...believe me we did...repeatedly.....and still do when we have to go out with him at home. I tell my kids all the time that this is an example of how not to behave and that I had better not see them treat anyone that way. I really don't think my DM wonders too much why we rarely come to visit. She seems to be able to put up with his rudeness...DH and I can barely tolerate it.

YUP! I work in retail and I am the go-to person for "difficult customers". I have had people yell at me, tell me how stupid I must be, how much I suck at my job..and at life. I have had people accuse me of ruining their life and so on. Its those times when I see a poor old lady (wife) cowering, embarrassed a few feet away-or a child (son)staring, also embarrassed that I really do feel sorry for the families of people like this. When they walk away from me, my time with them if over-but their poor families have to go thru this abuse and embarrassment all the time! Sometimes when the crazy people are going off on me I just want to take their loved ones and give them a hug-and tell THEM I am sorry that they have to deal with this kind of behavior.

What is boils down to is that we are all human beings and we should treat each other as such. No one is less than anyone else-yes some people may wait on you, may serve you-but they are not beneath you. We should all be greatful to each other for our contributions.

It's called "respect." Think: Golden Rule. Works for me!

I'm a nurse and I will say, there are lots of rude and entitled people in this world. Families or patients that expect you to hover around their loved one although you have 6 other patients, call lights should be answered within seconds (heck just drop the person you are helping to the toilet because my mom needs a 7 up NOW) :rolleyes:

However the people that truly look at what you do and are appreciative of that fact that you are there to help the patient, whether it's things others would find disgusting (wounds, toilet difficulties, vomit) or just to help the person get stronger to go home, or at the other end of the spectrum, help the person die with dignity intact.

Those acknowledgments are the greatest rewards, you don't always need a pat on the back, but a heartfelt thank you is very nice.

The staff deal with many of the "disgusting things" I'd think and I always give them a heartfelt thank you and a extra tip if service it better than expected. I like to think that people like me give them enough of a positive attitude to allow them to shrug off the jerks.

Cheers, Carole

I feel everybody should have to work one year somewhere, where they have to work with the general public, NOT in a managers position.

AMEN! I have said this for years! I esp. believe they should work in retail during Christmas time! I think if this happened people would be nicer and more empathetic.

I do feel sorry for a some of the cruise ship workers. While I realize that they have a better job than most in their country, it also has to suck to be away from their families for 8 months. In addition, some people think that because they are on a cruise they are entitled to treat these poor workers like personal slaves!

I was in line waiting to check into a cruise on times and this lady behind me was talking to a young guy behind her. It was his first cruise so she was giving him "tips". One of here tips was, "oh and when you're in your cabin, no need to worry about picking up your clothes, towels, shoes. They do it for you. You leave a mess and come back to a clean cabin. I mean where else can you go on vacation and have a personal servant!" ---REALLY!?! Yep she's one of those!

I'm a nurse and I will say, there are lots of rude and entitled people in this world. Families or patients that expect you to hover around their loved one although you have 6 other patients, call lights should be answered within seconds (heck just drop the person you are helping to the toilet because my mom needs a 7 up NOW) :rolleyes:

Oh how I know what you mean Carole! I also work in healthcare! Some people think that you are their personal concierge service!

YUP! I work in retail and I am the go-to person for "difficult customers". I have had people yell at me, tell me how stupid I must be, how much I suck at my job..and at life. I have had people accuse me of ruining their life and so on. Its those times when I see a poor old lady (wife) cowering, embarrassed a few feet away-or a child (son)staring, also embarrassed that I really do feel sorry for the families of people like this. When they walk away from me, my time with them if over-but their poor families have to go thru this abuse and embarrassment all the time! Sometimes when the crazy people are going off on me I just want to take their loved ones and give them a hug-and tell THEM I am sorry that they have to deal with this kind of behavior.

What is boils down to is that we are all human beings and we should treat each other as such. No one is less than anyone else-yes some people may wait on you, may serve you-but they are not beneath you. We should all be greatful to each other for our contributions.

Well said!! People who act like they are on some kind of high horse and others should do things their way or else really need a lesson in being humble. The families are the ones that pay fro their behavior. I especially feel sorry for the children. It is not their fault if their parents are buttfaces, but the sad part is that they are either so embarassed that they can't see straight, or worse, they grow up acting that way because that's all they've known.

Actually, I feel sorry for all the folks in our country who are out of work and can't find jobs. The workers on the ship are making many times more than they can make in their country. Even with all they put up with, they are doing good. You have to look at it from their perspective.

I think the number of rude/obnoxious passengers is exceeded by those of us who treat the crew with the respect they deserve. It is a tough job they have chosen.

I agree with these statements. I work as a server in a somewhat upscale restaurant that caters to a well-heeled clientele. The majority of our guests are gracious for the service they receive (and we do go above and beyond for them just like the cruiseline staff). However, we do have a small percentage of guests who are very rude (for no reason at all as we will give them whatever they want with a smile). They are just miserable people. Though, I believe that a very, very small percentage of the rude people are purposefully rude. They just want to 'bust our chops' because they can. C'est la vie. I'm a duck: I just let it roll off my back. The more rude they are, the more I kill 'em with extra kindness. I am a professional, and I love my job and the restaurant I work for.

This is why I could NEVER deal with food service in any way.

I'd have licked the spoon before handing it over.

Believe me, there are too many servers who actually do this sort of thing (and worse) to rude customers and to cheap tippers. Makes me wonder why anyone would be dumb enough to be rude to the person who handles their food. But, for most of us servers(such as myself) who take pride in their jobs and believe in Karma: the good tippers/gracious guests more than make up for the slack. One has to have a thick skin to work in the food service industry.

And as someone who has works retail ... I can say that in the last 10 years there are a LOT more of those who seem to feel very entitled and can be roayal PIA's

I wonder why??? Seriously, I totally believe you, I just wonder what's causing it.

Warm breezes, that brought back memories of my Dad saying exactly the same thing to our waiter! My Dad said, what does it take to get a cup of coffee around here, with his military voice, after waiting a little while!! He does like to be the center of attention.Most people want there coffee with dessert, but no he wanted it with his meal, on that peticular night. You bet your a** I always make sure he has his coffee when he wants it for now on!! I hate it when they are rude!! But he always tips extra at the end of the cruise, so all is forgotten by then.. I'm one of those people who has to deal with the rude elderly person!!! Yikes!!!:eek:

I wonder why??? Seriously, I totally believe you, I just wonder what's causing it.

As children they probably weren't taught the meaning of "no", and now as adults, and parents, it's a self-perpetuating problem...

On topic - it would be nice to see more of the crew act like the car rental lady in Planes, Trains and Automobiles. If you know the movie, you'll know exactly what I mean.

I think that there is an ever-growing lack of humility in our society. People greatly overrate their own importance in relation to others. We have become a society that expects instant gratification. Perhaps because more of us are "richer" than ever before in the sense that [even some of the poorest among us] have cable/satelite tv, cell phones, cars, laptops, etc. Fifty, 40, or even 30 years ago, many people only had the basics. They did not have such "luxuries" and were content with what they did have. Now, we (society in general) want it all and feel that we are entitled to it all. It's kind of a celebrity complex. This is my own opinion, and not necessarily, fact. I'm very sure that there are many more factors.

I am not in any way in favor of rude people, but many of the workers on board are thrilled that they are not in a situation where they can be beaten or confined with all rights taken away. Nasty people? They mostly just sluff it off. I am not approving of this- just know what life for many of these workers is like in other settings.

I think that there is an ever-growing lack of humility in our society. People greatly overrate their own importance in relation to others. We have become a society that expects instant gratification. Perhaps because more of us are "richer" than ever before in the sense that [even some of the poorest among us] have cable/satelite tv, cell phones, cars, laptops, etc. Fifty, 40, or even 30 years ago, many people only had the basics. They did not have such "luxuries" and were content with what they did have. Now, we (society in general) want it all and feel that we are entitled to it all. It's kind of a celebrity complex. This is my own opinion, and not necessarily, fact. I'm very sure that there are many more factors.

We are turning into a "Me society instead of a We society".

Archived