Does anyone else feel bad for some of the workers?

valtandc

I've worked in customer service for years...there are rude & obnoxious people everywhere, not just on a cruise. I feel bad for anyone I come across being mistreated. :(

I felt sad for our MDR Bar Server, Bambang, on our last cruise. We were at St. Thomas or San Juan & he was standing with other cruise employees waiting to get off the ship (after all the passengers) & we spoke to him when we passed by & told him to enjoy his day. Later that night in the MDR, he came over to get our drink orders & after we gave them to him we proceeded to ask him how his day in port was, etc. He went in port so he could call home to see how his 13 yr old's 1st day of Jr. High went. I know they choose these jobs & it often makes me wonder how bad they had it at home if they're willing to spend all those months away from their family. Just my personal opinion. It just broke my heart as a parent I guess. The last night in the MDR, we made sure we gave him a nice tip (cause he really did deserve it) & just put a note inside that we hoped he got to call his son again real soon. :)

It really only takes a couple of minutes to be nice. ;)

I feel sorry for those related to the rude people, they have to deal with them day in and day out.

I worked in Customer Service for 30 years and you just deal with it and get over it. You do your best and don't let it ruin your day.

Having said that, I don't feel sorry for the crew in general. They have better jobs than they could ever get in their home countries.

Anyone who feels guilty for cruising and having people wait on you just remember that if you don't go, they don't have jobs at all and have to go back to little towns and figure out how to provide for their families.

Not an excuse to treat them rudely or unfairly--there is never an excuse in the world for that. I have, however, reported a steward (not mine) who was trying to drum up tips by complaining about how hard he was working. When I passed him in the hall and said, "Good morning, how are you?" and proceeded to follow me listing his woes.

If you really feel they are being treated unfairly, stop cruising and go into volunteer work.

It amazes me how rude some people are to the workers, especially the wait and food service workers. They work their tales off and you see them everywhere morning, noon, night. The on top of it have to deal with some extremely rude people who feel entitled to act like asses and get angry when the smallest thing goes wrong or there is no bacon left for them to scoff down their daily 2 pound intake.

I would guess that 99.99% of the people on the ship treat the workers with dignity and respect. There will always be a couple of people you would like to throw overboard on any cruise and I am sure that the workers learn to ignore them.

DON

I would guess that 99.99% of the people on the ship treat the workers with dignity and respect. There will always be a couple of people you would like to throw overboard on any cruise and I am sure that the workers learn to ignore them.

DON

I totally agree......simple as that.....

I wonder why??? Seriously, I totally believe you, I just wonder what's causing it.

Of course there are a million exceptions to every rule .

But after 27 years as a 9-1-1 dispatcher I find the two groups of people with the biggest sense of entitlement are the very rich , and the poor.

The rich because they are rich (DUH:)) and usually well connected and so used to people fawning over them, they start to feel it is their God given right. God forbid you don't jump when they mention their last name , or who their husband/father/ whoever are.

The poor are so used to everything handed to them, (a check, a voucher, housing, medical care) from some form of government agency , that they get down right indignant when you have the nerve to tell them they need to handle a particular situation

I just try to remember they are from totally different culture and spend a very long time away from thier families to send them support. Yes, maybe they are "lucky" to have these jobs, but no reason to expect them to put up with "the american vacationer" who thinks just cause they can afford a cruise they can be snide about the help! I think it's just plain ugly..some of the remarks made here. Yes I deal with rude jerks at my job too, and yes, without them I would not have a job...STILL GIVES THEM NO RIGHT TO BE RUDE! PERIOD! Just grow up!

The main thing I hate about any anyone mistreating any service worker on land , sea or air, is the whole bullying factor.

The customer can rant and rave and be as nasty as they please , and the poor worker has to worry about keeping their job, and service with a smile, and the customer is always right thing. And don't think the complaining miserable thing doesn't know it.

Let them talk to someone who doesn't HAVE to put up with their abuse and it would be a whole other story.

You guys act like it's only on a cruise ship where staff has to deal with jerk customers. It's the same everywhere. I don't feel bad for the staff on these ships, in comparison to their native countries they are making good money. If you want to feel bad for them because some guests are jerks, well, feel bad for all service workers everywhere in the world because there are jerk customers everywhere--at the four seasons, at motel 6, at French Laundry, at McDonalds!;)

I do not feel bad for anyone that has a job, but I do feel bad for any person that has to deal with rude, self absorbed and "what about me" type people everyday at work with a smile because some ***** is holding a tip above their head. There is absolutely no reason to treat a person like dirt because your service or meal was not up to par. Try asking them nicely to get it fixed and you might be surprised at the result.

I agree with several others that the people that are guilty of this behavior have issues behind their own closed doors. They are emotionally bankrupt people that feel they must take their shortcomings out on others. Basically, they are never happy!

stepping off soap box now...:D

We are turning into a "Me society instead of a We society".

When I was in my 20's I worked in a vocational school.

We used to make fun of the students...

"I want..., I need..., I must have"

Some people are thoughtless, careless, self-centered, and rude.

They see no reason to change because they feel that it works for them.

I tell my staff of workers that I don't pay them enough to be abused by customers. Abusive/rude customers have to deal with me. They either shape up or get invited to go elsewhere.:D

I think the best line I ever heard was when Mr. Cunningham told Richie on Happy Days..."It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!" More people should remember than line and abide by it.

Well said.......Wmotions get so strong on these posts..sometimes smarter to just bow out than get caught up in it! Thanks!

Tell me about it. Unhappy people try to

make everyone else miserable!!!

No Class, No Couth, = No Life!!!

;) :) :rolleyes: :p

It's a job....we all put up with PIAs no matter where you work. Especially if you have anything to do with customer service...

While I don't necessarily feel "sorry" for the staff, I do feel bad that their jobs are made harder sometimes by the guests on a ship. So much is asked of them, especially front line servers, bartenders, etc. It's also probably likely that there are less staff overall to handle the guests. As has been said, I agree that they choose those job, but we don't always know the circumstances in each individuals life. They may have "choose" the job but due to events or circumstances outside their control.

I have been on only one cruise previously, and I was shocked at the attitude that some of the people had. As has been mentioned previously, those guests that feel entitled to treat the ship staff poorly is inexcusable. That is a small amount of the total guests on the ship, but it's interesting that those are always the type of people we remember.

Even though they are here to serve us, we should all remember to be decent human beings and treat each other with respect. After all, we are on vacation and they are not. Saying a kind word or a smile can go a long way.

Well, here's an issue that I've never been able to control. If somebody acts like a jerk to a worker within my earshot, I tend step in and open my mouth. Doesn't matter whether it's a store clerk, a janitor, or waitstaff who's being abused.

I'm not particularly big, but a stream of just the right words with just the right tone at the offender, and that usually takes care of it. And usually others chime in right after. It's one thing for a customer to complain, quite another to be vicious and condescending.

I don't feel sorry for them but I do feel bad for them in that moment. I work retail and it's amazing how people will speak to others. I have had those encounters and believe me, the best thing to have happen after a rude or demanding person is to have a nice one. It makes you remember that not all people are jerks. The majority of them are good. But it sure sucks when you get the bad ones!:mad:

Tina

I don't feel sorry for them but I do feel bad for them in that moment. I work retail and it's amazing how people will speak to others. I have had those encounters and believe me, the best thing to have happen after a rude or demanding person is to have a nice one. It makes you remember that not all people are jerks. The majority of them are good. But it sure sucks when you get the bad ones!:mad:

Tina

I use to be a bartender ......rude and drunk. Good times. :rolleyes:

It amazes me how rude some people are to the workers, especially the wait and food service workers. They work their tales off and you see them everywhere morning, noon, night. The on top of it have to deal with some extremely rude people who feel entitled to act like asses and get angry when the smallest thing goes wrong or there is no bacon left for them to scoff down their daily 2 pound intake.

I'm not going to read all the posts.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Imagine how these people feel about Americans...and what they tell their friends & relatives at home..........

They do work hard, and there are plenty of people who don't appreciate all the work they put forward. I on the otherhand treat them right. You would be amazed how far a kind word and normal conversation will go. We found ourselves on shore with a couple of the carnival dancers in cozumel that we met the prior night. Hurricane Rita while a bane to others gave us and the dancers more shore time. :) Treat em right people; it's the decent thing to do and they will go out of there way to help you if you are nice. Just remember they know all the little perks, the best tours, cheapest spots, and are great company too.

The best thing you can do for them is to tip them well and write comment cards regarding their great service. Name them by name and give your name, the dates of your cruise and your ship/cabin number.

Their raises, continued employment, and promotions are based on the feedback the cruise line receives regarding them. If you don't get an electronic survey where you can do all these things, then sit down and write a letter to the cruiseline headquarters and send it.

I know it makes a difference. I've been told by a CD friend that letters/kudos like that are golden.

Unfortunately some do NOT work their "tales" off. As witnessed by unbussed tables and garbage left to somebody else to clean.

At the very, very least, this is not what I pay for.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Sail a more expensive line and I won't encounter these problems...

Archived