Towel Animals - What Do You Do With Yours?

DizzyDallasDi

We once were assigned to an HA room (guarantee) and the roll in shower was a watery mess since the floor drains had not been properly maintained. Those towel animals were invaluable in mopping up the "room flood" (no raised threshold) until we could get the problem fixed.

On another cruise our terry friends also helped with cleaning the furniture on our aft balcony which often had a bit of ash on it.

In general those towel animals come in handy for wiping up little drips from water glasses and the remnants of makeup after DD and I get ready for dinner.

I like them and miss them when they're not there.

I always ask our steward to not leave a monkey in our cabin.

Our first cruise after they started leaving the critters, our steward hung one from the ceiling in the center of our cabin. It scared the 'whatever' out of me when we entered our very dimly lit room that night. I never want to see one of those monsters again. :D

Our encounter with the Freaky Monkey (sunglasses and all) was on the Eurodam: entered a dark cabin and there it was hanging from the ceiling with the bed lamp focused on it like a spot light! What the... LOL

About the only personal thing I recall being used on HAL was maybe a pair of sunglasses that were out in the open not in a drawer or put away. We don't mind that but it doesn't happen a lot either so it's not become or ever been an issue.

Sun glasses..fun.:) Nightgown...nope,nope, not fun. :eek::mad:

I tell my steward at the beginning of the cruise, that towel animals are not allowed in my room at anytime. They seem to 'get it'. They have so much to do during their 'long' day; those few minutes that I give back to them, makes 'me' feel good. :)

Happy Sailing!

I love this question!

We all love the towel animals, especially the kids. In fact, they love them so much we barely have time to take a picture sometimes before the animal is destroyed.

I think I love the anticipation our children have to find out what cute animal friend will be waiting for them after dinner even more than I love seeing the animal itself. But it is a very nice and well appreciated part of cruising for us.

We typically just take a photo of them and put them on the back of the couch.

On our last cruise DS was really tickled with them. His was 16 yo at the time and one evening DW and I went to Tamarind for dinner and our on DD and her fiance' went to Canaletto which left him with the second DD and her fiance at our table for 8 in the MDR. He apparantly started trying to make the animals with their napkins in between courses. Our head waiter saw this and asked him if he had a USB flash drive device, which he didn't. But he knew that I did. So then next night before dinner he asked if he could bowwor my flash drive for a day, and I said OK, assuming he needed it for the homework he was supposed to be doing while we were on the cruise. At dinner, to my surpise, he handed it to the waiter. The next night the waiter brought it back and gave it to him. It had two files on it that contained the instruction manuals given to the crews for creating the towel animals and also for folding napkins!

This type of proactive "going beyond the call of duty" to please a guest is what sets HAL apart in my mind.

I love all the towel animals i have ever gotten. I put my cruise daily in front of each and take the pic with it. I am like a little kid with them. Please dont stop making them. Looking forward to seeing them on my cruise to Bermuda in 3 weeks, elaine

I take them for a walk but they never make it.

.....you made me laugh out loud.:D I had this visual if a towel being dragged down a Hall corridor..and your disappointed face when you looked behind you.:D:D:D..sorry :o struck me so funny ,thanks for the laugh.:)

<snid>

At dinner, to my surpise, he handed it to the waiter. The next night the waiter brought it back and gave it to him. It had two files on it that contained the instruction manuals given to the crews for creating the towel animals and also for folding napkins!

This type of proactive "going beyond the call of duty" to please a guest is what sets HAL apart in my mind.

I Love this story. Thank you so much for sharing it.

THIS is the HAL we love.

For us, HAL is all about the people.

I am surprised that HAL allows the animals to accumulate throughout the cruise. If it is a 14 day cruise, that is a whole lot of towels and washcloths tied up. Even a 7 day cruise with hundreds of cabins saving them on their couch, etc. amounts to waste IMO.

As another poster wisely suggested, I am going to start using the animal towels, leaving the others folded or hanging in the bathroom.

and.....I might also suggest to the stewards that the animal creations aren't necessary. The negative there is it is just something more for them to remember.

Like others, after the photo we put them on the sofa, but we've never had a steward let more than 3 accumulate. Once about day 7 of a 10-day cruise I told the steward that the money was my "favorite so far" and for the next three nights we got a new, slighty different monkey. One was a sitting version.

Like others, after the photo we put them on the sofa, but we've never had a steward let more than 3 accumulate. Once about day 7 of a 10-day cruise I told the steward that the money was my "favorite so far" and for the next three nights we got a new, slighty different monkey. One was a sitting version.

I bet he did get the "money" part ;) :D "Mo Monkeys, Mo Money" LOL

We had a "zoo" on our sofa and then somehow they disappeared--I figured must be running out of towels for animals! Of course, all had their picture taken!

But, the monkey stayed in our cabin till disembarkation--he was just so cute, and he stayed out of the way and stayed on his hanger!

We enjoy the towel animals, but if we didn't get them, it wouldn't affect our enjoyment of our cruise!

Being first-time cruisers, I looked forward to coming into our cabin after the show to see what towel creation would appear. They all had their portraits taken (very cooperative subjects :)). Even before we left, I'd ordered some cruise-specific scrapbooking materials, including a "Towel Animals" die cut.

Checking out or animal & seeing the next day's Explorer made for a great evening to each day of our cruise.

We take the obiligatory picture..then I destroy them:D No I usually dismantle them the next day...other than the monkey...I like to see him hanging from the light.

Many years ago I had a slinky nightgown (many years ago:D) laying out folded up...I'm extra neat but don't put my gown in a drawer every night..and I had the prettiest salmon colored stingray...it was neat and did not bother me at all.

Youngest DS and wife saved a few animals one cruise and staged a towel animal party on the bed one night...they dressed them in beads, sunglasses, hats,and drink glasses and took their picture..it was really neat looking:):)

We take pictures (like most everyone else), but have never used them as one of the first animals we received seemed to be made up from a dirty towel. I had partially taken it apart to see how it was put together and noticed dirt on the towel--it kind of grossed me out!

We find it fun to see what kind of an animal will appear (and if we can recognize it). Now, we just look at them but in no way do we use them.

Archived