completely avoid onboard charges

DiploTraveler

WOW! $130 plus tip? Is that each, or for two?

According to my bill from my last HAL cruse (Prinsendam, July 2010) the "Men's Wet Cut" I got at the beginning of the third week of the cruise cost me around $40, including tip. While more expensive than my usual Supercuts, it had been a month since my last hair cut and Supercuts wasn't aboard the Prinsendam.

My DH's cut was $40 & mine was $70+ because she blew it out. (It ended up being formal night that day.) Lesson learned. next time I nag him for haircuts he shouldn't wait last minute!!!!!!!!

personally, i'm grateful just to be on board. Let's face it, the base cost of entry gets you: A room of your own, all the food you can stuff into your face 24 hours a day, a staff of several hundred to wait on you hand and foot, movies, live entertainment, opportunities for dancing, swimming, exercise, and general socializing, a view that constantly changes, and transportation to towns and cities all over the world. If that's not "living it up", then i'm not sure what is...

i love this!

I love this thread, it's great to see so many points of view. I did state earlier in the thread, how I pre-purchased everything for my 1 night cruise. I also would like to mention that I am bringing 2 bottles of wine onboard, and will have the corking fees on my account.

However, if this were longer than a 1 night GF cruise, our tab could go one of 2 ways..... we either pre-pay and I live within those means (DH never spends a dime, it's always me) or I charge it to our card, and hear about it from DH later. Sometimes I'm good, and sometimes not.. but I always have a good time no matter what!!

For a seven day cruise I pre-buy $500 in OBC. Then I spend as I want. Bingo, drinks, on-board shopping...

On my last cruise the waiter in the showroom had my double Bailey's on ice for me every Bingo (it was a buy one get one for $1 deal).

Even in the morning =) It's noon somewhere right?

Cheers,

Deb

I thought it might be helpful to know why you thought it would be interesting to know this information.

Helpful to what?

Why don't you just chalk it up to my being a curious George? Any other motivations which might be implied are motivations which I have not stated and which, quite frankly, are immaterial to the intrinsic value which such data might bring to the issue. :D

I love this thread, it's great to see so many points of view. I did state earlier in the thread, how I pre-purchased everything for my 1 night cruise. I also would like to mention that I am bringing 2 bottles of wine onboard, and will have the corking fees on my account.

However, if this were longer than a 1 night GF cruise, our tab could go one of 2 ways..... we either pre-pay and I live within those means (DH never spends a dime, it's always me) or I charge it to our card, and hear about it from DH later. Sometimes I'm good, and sometimes not.. but I always have a good time no matter what!!

(My underline)

And that is the whole point........

"you always have a good time no matter what!" :)

I count what I pre-pay for as being part of the "end of the cruise bill". It's just that the prepaid items are paid say 30-60 days before the cruise and then additional on-board items paid in the following month or so. That way all travel is paid from current earnings and never from savings.

But I certainly don't mind spending extra for things that I want I just don't like ship board accounts that I tend to lose track of. So if we are booking any shore excursions with HAL (which is rare because we usually prefer independent excursions) those are paid in advance, as our specialty dining, flowers for the room, and for Caribbean cruises, a drink card. We rarely buy anything in the gift shops and we don't gamble. But I have no problem with charging a spa treatment or two and some wine with dinner. Or doing neither. It just depends if the cruise is more about relaxing or more about getting up and out early and touring. And if it is mostly about touring we drink less, go to the spa less often and tour independently.

I've done it on two. I don't drink (soda or alcohol), the first two cruises didn't have a specialty restaurant, and I typically do my excursions thru local companies rather than the cruise ship. Also there wasn't a charge for the spa.

But I can guarantee it wasn't because I didn't have fun - it's just that most of what I like to do on a cruise is loaf around, read books, watch the water, think, write, chat with old/new friends, listen to music, sauna/steam, nap... all the good (usually free) stuff. :).

Next one, though (my first on HAL, on N. Amsterdam), will have the spa charge, and probably a Tamarind bill.

Helpful to what?

Why don't you just chalk it up to my being a curious George? Any other motivations which might be implied are motivations which I have not stated and which, quite frankly, are immaterial to the intrinsic value which such data might bring to the issue. :D

For whatever value such data is helpful to the curious......I try to avoid any extra luggage charges...Whatever I save I try to spend on board...If it results in eating in the Lido on formal nights I hope HAL appreciates the extra revenue.

For whatever value such data is helpful to the curious......I try to avoid any extra luggage charges...Whatever I save I try to spend on board...If it results in eating in the Lido on formal nights I hope HAL appreciates the extra revenue.

Whatever your priorities may be, enjoy yourself. And I guess that is really the crux of it ... priorities and enjoyment. My priorities include enjoying Formal Nights, hence I pack what I need to do so. Ditto for onboard expenses; I don't spend myself into the poor house while aboard ship, but likewise I don't fret about my onboard expenses.

Others may have as their principle priority "spending as little as possible" so as to disembark with no charges on their shipboard account. Similarly, they may not see dressing up for formal nights as being anywhere on their radar of priorities ... hence, they whine about the cost of luggage and use it as their excuse for not dressing up. As my youth will say: "I don't "get" that." If you don't want to dress up, then don't dress up. Period. No excuse is needed.

Our first cruise as far as I can remember we had no extra charges. We did not go on any excursions. We were afraid of overspending. What can I say? Last cruise we spent enough that we got an extra cruise day credit towards are Mariner Status. We finally hit two stars!!! I see a trend and I am not even going to think how much we will spend on the next one. Whenever it might be.

It would be interesting to compare a list of those who spend nothing -- or next to nothing -- aboard ship with a list of those who complain about having to pay the airlines for bringing extra luggage in order to "do formal night." :eek:

<duck and cover>

I love formal nights and wouldn't think of cruising without at least two formal long gowns in my suitcase. I have learned, however, that I can do without the large numbers of shorts and tops I use to bring. Most of them would go home unworn.

One of the things I love about cruising is that it caters to all kinds of people.

Spend a week at the Four Seasons, and you'll likely see wealthy guests... spend a week in Branson, and you'll likely see average guests...

On a cruise ship, you can spend $400 for an inside cabin, or $4,000 for the Penthouse Suite... and possibly be seated at the same table for dinner. And you'll both likely have the week of your lives!

Spend what you want, save what you want... it's all the same experience.

We've gone nuts on some cruises and spent like maniacs, and have been more frugal on others... honestly, I can't recall a difference... loved them all!

(RevNeal: You are cracking my up on this thread! Love it!)

I'd love to show you my bill for dinner at Four Seasons in NYC. It exceeds what some of you are spending on a 7-day cruise.

Just remember: You get what you pay for. When HAL doesn't exceed your expectations, don't ask.

You don't always get what you pay for there, either...!

Archived