Things for a teenager to do

DEZERTRATZ50

We are planning a cruise in June 2012 to the Eastern Caribbean on Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines on the ship Freedom of the Seas. My question is we are traveling with our 16 year old son. He will be playing basketball a majority of the time I am sure. For the remainder what type of activities do they have for someone his age? I know they have a teen disco, he loves music but not into dancing. Do they have group sports activities. Things like video competitions or things like this? What is in the teen lounge? Anyone that can answers these questions, thank you in advance.

My kids never get involved in the kids/teen programming, but always find plenty to do. Last cruise they were 15 and 11, and spent their time playing on the sports deck, playing ping-pong, going to the trivia contests, seeing shows, comedy shows (the family versions), eating, going to karaoke, and a time or two I found one or the other laying on the bed in the room, with a tray of food watching a movie on the tv.

Sometimes you are surprised by which of your children enjoy the teen club. I remember in 2004 on our first cruise my husband dragged my oldest to the teen club the first night and he loved it. He was with that group almost the entire cruise even when the club was closed. He is now 22 and he still has contact with some of his friends from that trip.

2 years ago when went on The Independance of the Seas. It was during February break and it was cold, but it was one of our best trips ever. There is alot for everyone to do.

Paula

He will hang by the Flowrider whether he does it or not. It IS the place to be and be seen! LOL from experience from a mom with a teen boy. Also, it is true what everyone else has said in previous posts. The teen lounge is the area where the teens go to dance, sit on cushions on the floor and watch a movie, listen to music, play on the video gaming systems, and right across the hall will be the Arcade. Parents are NOT allowed in this room except the first day to sign there kids up for the teen area. The teens are split up in the age groups of 12-14 and 15-17 year olds. There are some planned activities for both age groups. Word of warning, most teens traveling as a single teen will most likely make that friend they want to hang with towards the last few days of the cruise. Don't rush him, he will join in as he feels comfortable just like he probably would at home. Soooo many things to do on a RCCL ship. Have a wonderful time. He will be begging to go on another cruise and then he will know the ropes! Hope this helps.

IMO, there is so much for a teen to do on Freedom-class ships that he will not have time to do everything he wants. He'll likely be begging for another cruise just so that he can do all the things he didn't get to the first time around.:)

beachchick

We were on the FOS in 2009 with 2 teen boys and they had a blast. MUST go to the teen meeting the first night and make sure you get him a wrist bracelet for the activities you aprove of like rockwall, ice skating, body boarding, etc.

There are video game competitions, scavenger hunts, sports competitions, dances, dinners and a lot more that they can attend. All events are supervised and they really encourage the kids to mix and meet everybody in their age group. My kids still talk to kids on that cruise on facebook. Your kids will have the time of their lives....and don't forget about the pizza!

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to thank each and everyone of you that replied to my question regarding things for my 16yr old son to do on Freedom of the Seas. Sorry I took so long to reply to your answers, but silly me forgot my password. Once again thank you to each of you.

DEZERTRATZ50

Took 2 16-yr olds on FOS this past July. They had the time of their lives! There's the flow-rider, rock-climbing wall, ice-skating (not the show, just the rink), dancing, Johnny Rockets, basketball, video arcade, and on and on. They were never bored. They ate everything in sight (and there was plenty). They took part in pool activities (relay race) for teens ony. There's too much going on for them to find the time to do it all. My Grandson has been on 10 RCCL cruises and this was, by far, his favorite.

Archived