Starting to run - best sports bra?

Colorado Kat

It's getting tougher for me to lose weight, and I am starting to run (very slowly.) Would a sports bra be best to run in? Do people ever double them up for more support? I am a fairly full breasted woman.

The absolute best full support sports bra I've ever found is the "Ta Ta Tamer" (no, I'm not kidding, lol) by Lululemon.

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/women-sports-bras/Ta-Ta-Tamer-II-31110?cc=1305&skuId=3416939&catId=women-sports-bras

Expensive, but worth every penny. There is no need to "double up" when you're wearing this baby. ;)

When I shop for a sports bra, I look for one that doesn't have elastic in the straps, and I run in place in the dressing room to assess the bounce factor. The one I've liked the best is made by Wacoal--what I particularly like about it is that in closes in the back like a regular bra, so I don't have to fight with it to get it on/off over my head.

I'm large (big chest, and now that I'm overweight - even larger:rolleyes:) Moving Comfort is the brand I buy and Maia is my favorite style. I can sometimes find them on sale (Amazon or www.sierratradingpost.com) I can't wear anything with less support if I'm doing anything more than walking my driveway to get the mail. I can go to the gym, jog, do aerobics, hike & play tennis comfortably in this bra.

This is the bra - they have other styles you might prefer - I've tried a few others but Maia remains my favorite. I wear the 40DD. Pullover elastic bras? I might as well be wearing silicone pasties ;-)

http://www.movingcomfort.com/Maia/350011,default,pd.html

No, it's not cheap. But I'd rather spend money to get something well made and then take care of it than have a bunch of crap that doesn't work for me. I have 5 really good sports bras and I wear, handwash, alternate. They've lasted a few years, though I do need to rotate out a couple and get some new ones.....

The absolute best full support sports bra I've ever found is the "Ta Ta Tamer" (no, I'm not kidding, lol) by Lululemon.

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/women-sports-bras/Ta-Ta-Tamer-II-31110?cc=1305&skuId=3416939&catId=women-sports-bras

Expensive, but worth every penny. There is no need to "double up" when you're wearing this baby. ;)

The other thing I forgot to mention that I really like about this bra is that it doesn't give me the dreaded "uni-boob". You know, where your bra squashes your breasts together so that you look like you have one large breast in the middle of your body? LOL

This bra not only supports, but also gives me a nice shape.

The other thing I forgot to mention that I really like about this bra is that it doesn't give me the dreaded "uni-boob".

My Moving Comfort bras are the same - because they actually have cups, no uni-boob......Lululemon site sold out of larger sizes at the moment.....

I am a DD cup and athletic. I ran for 25 years til I developed knee issues and now I powerwalk 3 miles a day.

I wear underwire sports bras with thick, non elastic straps. I find a good selection at Title9.com and RoadRunnerSports.com. The models change and you will need to try on a variety to see what really works for you.

I have a variety that I like that offer fuller cups, wide backs and great support for high impact activities (I also do power yoga and Zumba, both of which require a very supportive bra). Champion makes some good supportive bras.

Expensive, but worth every penny. There is no need to "double up" when you're wearing this baby.

I am normally a 36D or DD cup (depends on fit) so finding a sports bra is hard for me as well. I was surprised when I went into Lululemon and tried on a few items and the amount of support the girls got. I own the spin me tank in a size 10 (I wear a 12 or medium in most tops) and it works well. It has adjustable bra support on the sides to make it tighter or looser for your bust. http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/women-tanks/Spin-Me-Tank-80050?cc=9081&skuId=3424409&catId=women-tanks It also does not give me the "uni-boob" look. It has shapers hidden inside the top.

You didn't mention what sizes you wear so it's hard to give really good advice without knowing how big you are in both chest and band. That changes where the advise to shop is from since places like Lulu don't carry above a size 12. :mad:

It is good to see we have lots of runners here. I am a 34B and I dont use a sports bra, just my normal underwire bra so I am of no help there.

You did not ask but when you start to run I strongly suggest that you get fitted for running shoes. Your knees and ankles will thank you. I found that running makes a huge jump start in weight loss, especially in your mid section which is always hard to loose in.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Danskin Now - Adjustable Back Foam Sport Bra"

I found a new favorite at of all places...Wally World and I love it.

It even gives me a nice enough shape that i wear it to travel, so i dont have underwires going thru the airport screening.

I jog and ride horseback...and have struggled to find something with enough support, without doubling.

I am a 34B and wouldn't even run a 5k without a sports bra. Besides being painful, it is damaging to your breast tissue to run without one, even a regular underwire bra does not provide adequate support. Once that tissue is torn, it won't repair itself. You may not notice it much now if you are young and/or haven't had kids, but age, childbirth and breastfeeding take enough of a toll on your breast tissue without helping it along by running without proper support. Be nice to yourself and invest in a decent sports bra. I never put mine in the dryer and they last for years.:)

I am large-chested and cannot stand to wear just a sports bra... They all feel so unsupportive! I found a good (not cute) sports bra from Bravissimo, which is a European lingerie store for well-endowed ladies. Still, I prefer to wear an underwire for support and layer a sports bra on top to minimize the bouncing.

Archived