Cruise Lines Announcing Drink Packages

Responder

Responder, there really is no competition! We've just completed a cruise on the Navigator (our second with RSSC) and are looking ahead to a cruise for 2012 - New England and Canada. In looking at "the competition" I have come to the realization that there is no other cruise line that comes close to the over-all value of Regent.

Anyone look at the price per day for the package?? I know that neither my wife nor I drink anywhere near the dollar value of the packages listed. And, you prepay for the number of days on the cruise with I'm sure no refunds if you choose not to drink a particular day.

Don't know the dollar value Regent puts into the cruise fare on a daily basis but, sincerely doubt it is as high as listed in the article. Guessing that the ships listed have a much younger crowd that will drink at least 6 to 8 drinks per day. I doubt the average Regent pasenger drinks that many drinks per day every day of the cruise.

$59 per day for beer, wine and spirits? Don't forget that these lines don't buy alcoholic beverages at U.S. package stores, where 90% of the price is tax. They buy at duty-free, wholesale prices. They're trying to keep their business model where they make most of their profit on drinks and specialty restaurants.

Yes you are BUT we have sailed on mass market for years then stared on teh Luxury a few years ago , There is a big difference but so is the price.

Here is what you get for the premium package on Celebrity

Johnny Walker Black, Glenfiddich Pure Malt, Dewars 12 year old, Chivas Regal, Glenlivet, Crown Royal, Tangle Ridge, Old Black Bush, Knob Creek, Blanton's Single Barrel, Remy Martin VSOP, Courvosier VSOP, Hennessy VSOP, Bombay Sapphire, Ketel One, Effen, Level, Belvedere, Grey Goose, Pyrat XO Reserve, Montecristo, Bacardi 8, Patron Silver, Patron Anejo, Patron Gold, Extase XO, Grand Marnier, Bollini, St. Francis, J & H Selbach, Southern Right, Paul Jaboulet, Jena Luc Colombo, Beringer, Heron's Nest, Tenuta de Nozzole, Antinori, Chateau Castera, Rutherford Ranch, Kendall Jackson, Marques de la Concordia.

Yes you are BUT we have sailed on mass market for years then stared on teh Luxury a few years ago , There is a big difference but so is the price.

Here is what you get for the premium package on Celebrity

Johnny Walker Black, Glenfiddich Pure Malt, Dewars 12 year old, Chivas Regal, Glenlivet, Crown Royal, Tangle Ridge, Old Black Bush, Knob Creek, Blanton's Single Barrel, Remy Martin VSOP, Courvosier VSOP, Hennessy VSOP, Bombay Sapphire, Ketel One, Effen, Level, Belvedere, Grey Goose, Pyrat XO Reserve, Montecristo, Bacardi 8, Patron Silver, Patron Anejo, Patron Gold, Extase XO, Grand Marnier, Bollini, St. Francis, J & H Selbach, Southern Right, Paul Jaboulet, Jena Luc Colombo, Beringer, Heron's Nest, Tenuta de Nozzole, Antinori, Chateau Castera, Rutherford Ranch, Kendall Jackson, Marques de la Concordia.

"Unlimited is a misnomer," said Scott Steenrod, Celebrity's associate vice president for food and beverage operations. "We only serve one drink at a time, per transaction."

I am sitting here wondering why in the world this would be posted on the Regent board.

I think simply because it is a comparison between Regent's all inclusive and some new drink packages other lines are creating.

Pretty difficult to compare anything unless other names are referenced

In my humble opinion, it is not fair to compare mainstream cruise lines to luxury cruise lines. It goes way beyond whether or not drinks are included. When you sail on Silversea, Regent or Seabourn, you not only have included drinks, but larger suites, butlers, etc. Comparing mainsteam and luxury lines is like comparing apples and oranges.

In my humble opinion, it is not fair to compare mainstream cruise lines to luxury cruise lines. It goes way beyond whether or not drinks are included. When you sail on Silversea, Regent or Seabourn, you not only have included drinks, but larger suites, butlers, etc. Comparing mainsteam and luxury lines is like comparing apples and oranges.

It may not be "fair" but it happens! In deciding what cruise to go on, I suspect many people and not just new cruisers, look at price, itinerary, inclusions, atmosphere, personal recommendations, timing etc. I also suspect most are not hung up on words such as mainstream and luxury but make more considered decisions. At least that is how I make decisons so its good to know what others are charging for one aspect of what I may get from Regent.

I agree this thread isn't really about comparing mass market to Regent. So fairness needn't come into it. What it's really about is reminding ourselves how lucky we are, and fully appreciating features like all-inclusive drinks!

Not sure what that Celebrity Premium list means, I can't relate that to the daily drink rate--surely they don't include those brands.

Of course it's fair to compare. In fact, it's what everyone who sails on Regent has done at some point to arrive at the conclusion that it's worth the money to do so.

In doing such comparisons, the luxury lines deliver lots more features, along with a higher price, than the mainstream lines. If one could make up a master comparison list, with all the advantages each offers, then each individual would pick out some of the advantages most meaningful to them to make a decision. You mentioned, for example, butlers on Regent; that wouldn't be meaningful to me because I don't need or want a butler, but it could be a major plus on someone else's comparison list. Free drinks on Regent is a major plus for me, but for someone who doesn't drink at all, it's no advantage (or even a disadvantage, since it drives up the cost). And so on down the line: cabin size, public spaces, food quality and options, itineraries and ports, programs for children, entertainment, ambience, etc. Everyone does these comparisons, totaling up their personal pros and cons, to arrive at a decision to cruise on a particular ship or cruise line. And if you're cruising with young grandkids, the factors that count in your comparison come out far differently than if you're doing a milestone anniversary cruise with your spouse. So yes, it's perfectly fair and logical to compare luxury and mainstream cruise lines.

-- Eric

Totally agree with cruiseej. Comparing is what most people do before committing to a voyage, a cruise line, etc. When I want a quick, inexpensive way to escape an Ohio winter, I starting comparing and looking for the best deal suitable for me (naturally, what is suitable for me, may not be for someone else).

This drink package business is not new. I believe Celebrity launched it in '09. I think it is a roaring success. I have done it on Celebrity and have found it to be a way to upgrade the experience.

Let's talk real numbers. For example, my friend and I snagged a great deal in an aft "spa" stateroom on a 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Celebrity Solstice. I believe it was only about $800 total. Stateroom was certainly not size of Regent but probably size of Crystal, and it was really lovely (always like aft views).

Because we were in Spa category, we were entitled to eat in their small specialty restaurant Blu at no additional charge. We chose to "upgrade" our experience further by dining in the specialty steak house restaurant 4 times that week at a cost of $25 pp each time, and each time was fabulous.

I bought the premium package that allowed any drink or glass of wine up to $12 in value. If my memory serves me well, this package cost $54 +15% tip per night so total for the cruise was $434.70. My friend bought the "classic" package (covers drinks up to $8) for $44 +15% tip so her total was $354.20 for the cruise. Keep in mind that these packages include specialty coffees, bottled waters, etc. In other words, they make your cruise totally "all liquid inclusive".

Now mind you, you to have to give them your stateroom card when you order to prove that you have the drink package, and that might bother some luxury cruisers.

So, to summarize, my mass cruise line experience in this case, while not a Regent, was upgraded substantially, and certainly made into a mini all inclusive by adding $535 for drink package and for specialty restaurants, bringing my total cost for the cruise to a little over $1300 for the week. Oops, forgot to add gratuities, so probably about $1500 would be more accurate. That comes down to $214 per diem pp.

I just looked up prices for a Regent Caribbean cruise, and the Navigator does 10 day Caribbean voyages. The least expensive price quote on RSSC site was $4619 (includes port charge). Of course, if you back off $300 for pre-cruise hotel, and another not sure, but say, $600 for air, you're down to $3719, or $371.90 per diem pp.

This is the starting point for a comparative analysis. Then of course, one has to add in all those things that are important that are difficult to measure in $ - size of stateroom, public spaces, entertainment, yada, yada.

Unfortunately, I can't afford luxury all the time, but I do love to get away for a week here or there when the weather is bad, so this type of arrangement is perfect for me. I suppose I fall into the category of "she who loves quality, but also loves quantity," so something has to give. Hah! :p

Great analysis. Now, if you just do that for Carnival, NCL, HAL , Azamara, Oceania -- basically all of the mainstream cruise lines and then all of the premium cruiselines. That would be a comparison worth posting on CruiseCritic. It could easily be a news story.

Actually, a lot of information could be obtained by asking the question on the different boards. You could learn how much the package is, the cost and what it includes in terms of brands.

If there isn't already, there should be a place to go on CC where you can look at comparisons of cabin size, ratio of guests to staff, size of ship, age of ship. Mimito4 is a good candidate for gathering the data. I'm not -- it took me forever to do the cabin sizes on luxury ships. . . .just not good with numbers.

This really isn't new. You could always buy a wine package on the Celebrity or Princess or RCL Ships; They're just looking to repackage that. HAL and Princess have Coffee Cards and Soda Packages too.

Cruiselines and other busiensses constantly repackage things they offer to make you spend more so there is more profit.

Great analysis. Now, if you just do that for Carnival, NCL, HAL , Azamara, Oceania -- basically all of the mainstream cruise lines and then all of the premium cruiselines. That would be a comparison worth posting on CruiseCritic. It could easily be a news story.

Actually, a lot of information could be obtained by asking the question on the different boards. You could learn how much the package is, the cost and what it includes in terms of brands.

If there isn't already, there should be a place to go on CC where you can look at comparisons of cabin size, ratio of guests to staff, size of ship, age of ship. Mimito4 is a good candidate for gathering the data. I'm not -- it took me forever to do the cabin sizes on luxury ships. . . .just not good with numbers.

Jackie - sounds like a good project for someone with a lot of time on their hands.

Perhaps I come across like someone with a lot of time on their hands, but if so, I misled. Sorry. :( I was just trying to be helpful on this particular thread. I have no interest or time to take it on as a career move.

Probably the last thing I'm inclined to do is conjure up a database of comparisons between cruise lines.

I'm not into labeling Premium or Luxury, as this is in the eyes of the beholder and further, who does the labeling?

We've been on a number of other cruise lines over the 45 or so years we have been cruising and our taste is our taste regardless of any labels applied either by the cruise lines or critics.

The bottom line is that we are spoiled and Regent is responsible. We have many friends who sail on the 5000 passenger behemoths and their cost for a week is what we pay on Regent for a day. Simply a choice for us as well as them...nothing else. When we speak with them, they can't begin to understand how we could spend so much money on a cruise and we don't understand how they can sail on a floating city.

For us, I don't even consider getting involved in a cost accounting program to analyze costs. Better things to do with my time. When we get to the ship, they take over until they take us to the plane.

I think that most of us utilize our extra time with things we enjoy. It could be a challenge for someone who enjoys that type of thing. While I would never presume that someone has enough time to do it, rallydave comes to mind based on his past analysis on the boards.

The bottom line is that we are spoiled and Regent is responsible. We have many friends who sail on the 5000 passenger behemoths and their cost for a week is what we pay on Regent for a day. Simply a choice for us as well as them...nothing else. When we speak with them, they can't begin to understand how we could spend so much money on a cruise and we don't understand how they can sail on a floating city.

Yes, isn't this weird sometimes? A lot of our friends I just wouldn't tell them how much these cruises cost. Once in a while if somebody asks, I try gently to just tell them, that it's very expensive (we don't have a lot of rich friends, lol.) My brother, who could easily afford it, thinks we're nuts. To each his own.

Archived