Photos from Sea Princess Cruise to Alaska

nobbync

4 months late but here are the photos from my Sea Princess Cruise to Alaska in Late May and early June of this year. I was so sick for a month after the cruise so by the time I was okay I had so much work to do but finally made it. Thanks for all the help on these boards. Going back to Alaska next year on the Amsterdam 14 day... Can't wait as it was spectacular.

Nobby

Thanks for the great comments and glad you all liked the photos.

Nobby, wonderful pictures. May I ask what type of camera you used?

Keith

Keith, I use a Nikon D300 for my widlife photos and a Nikon P300 that I carry in my pocket for shots I want to take when I have too big of a zoom on my D300.

Nobby

Nobby, one could assume from your post that something related to the cruise caused your sickness. Is that so?

Yes, our cruise was one of the noro cruises. I did not get the noro but also many people had the flu and both me and my friend the last day on board we came down with the flu. It was the worst flu both of us ever had and both of us took over a month to recover. I got back from vacation and then had to take a week and a half off of work for the flu. That was my 8th cruise and first time I ever got sick and hopefully the last.

Nobby

Beautiful pictures! I hope to one day be able to pull off that same 14-day HAL Amsterdam cruise to Alaska (as you're doing next year). :)

Jill

Hi Jill, I hope you get to do the 14 day on HAL somtime soon. I have wanted to do that cruise since they started doing it. I can't go into the higher elevations so for me staying at sea level is what I have to do and 14 days at sea level is better then 10... :) and more interesting ports.

Time is going by too slow as I am ready to go again...and it is only fall...

Nobby

Keith, I use a Nikon D300 for my widlife photos and a Nikon P300 that I carry in my pocket for shots I want to take when I have too big of a zoom on my D300.

Nobby

It looks like a pretty large lens that you carry around. I use the Tamron 18 - 270. What are you using?

It looks like a pretty large lens that you carry around. I use the Tamron 18 - 270. What are you using?

I use the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (that's that one you see me with) as my main lens but I also have the Nikkor 300 f4 with a 1.4x TC. I am a pro photographer doing celebrity events so I also have a bunch of pro smaller lenses but hate to swap back and forth between lenses. My backup camera died on me earlier this year so I am stuck with the one DSLR. How do you like the Tamron 18-270? That's quite a range.

Nobby

Your photos are spectacular. I hope that I can do half as good when we sail in June of 2012:)

Thanks Laurie! Practice practice practice... Do it while you are home and get used to your camera and learn the settings. Even some of the good auto point and shoot cameras can take really nice photos without trying hard as long as you know what settings to use in certain situations.

Nobby

I use the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (that's that one you see me with) as my main lens but I also have the Nikkor 300 f4 with a 1.4x TC. I am a pro photographer doing celebrity events so I also have a bunch of pro smaller lenses but hate to swap back and forth between lenses. My backup camera died on me earlier this year so I am stuck with the one DSLR. How do you like the Tamron 18-270? That's quite a range.

Nobby

I am very happy with the Tamron lens as it lets me use one lens well over 90% of the time. I have been very happy with the results. Here is the link to my Alaska pictures.

http://markandkarenalaska2011.shutterfly.com/

Nobby

Nobby, thank you so very much. Your pictures are absolutely beautiful. You are an excellent photographer.

Thanks again for sharing such stunning photos.

Keith

Your photos are amazing, thank you for sharing!

We also have done the Elkhorn Slough Safari, you had a great day for otters! Hope you were able to take in Phil's Fish Market while you were in Moss Landing.

Hope you enjoy your Amsterdam cruise next year, great ports and the 14 days goes by so quickly!

Thanks for the pictures!

I've had my own Alaska pictures set as my screensaver since I returned from my cruise in May, and I was starting to get bored with them. I thought maybe I'd lost interest in returning to Alaska next year and I was thinking about cancelling. Wrong!

I guess I'll change my screensaver to something else until I start to miss my Alaska pictures (maybe when I have some more to add to them next year :D ).

I'm thinking about taking a road trip to the Bay Area when I get around to it. I lived in San Jose as a kid, but I never knew about Elkhorn Slough. I'll have to add that to my to-do list for that trip.

I was doing some research for my cruise next June and found your link. These are great pictures! Thanks for sharing. It makes me even more anxious to go!

You mentioned the use of Harv & Marv for whale watching. Are there any other local vendors you used for side trips that you would recommend? (Sorry, you may have mentioned but I didn't see it.)

I saw you had your tripod...would you suggest I bring mine? Did you use it a lot?

Thank you!

You mentioned the use of Harv & Marv for whale watching. Are there any other local vendors you used for side trips that you would recommend? (Sorry, you may have mentioned but I didn't see it.)

I saw you had your tripod...would you suggest I bring mine? Did you use it a lot?

Thank you!

Hi, thanks for the comments. On this trip I also had a new friend I met on the internet meet me in Skagway and she took me to Dyea for some good bird watching but that wasn'a tour you can just book. That afternoon we did the Glacier Point Wilderness Explorer but we booked this through the ship and it was fabulous. Ketchikan we also booked through the ship the Bering Sea Crab Fishermans tour but the day before we pulled in it was cancelled because they ran into a big rock. So no other experiences with any local venders but Harv and Marv was outstanding and I['d go again anytime.

As far as the tripod I always carry my tripod and monopod. Sometimes that's what it takes to get a sharp photo or a supersharp one but all that depends on what you want. Also most of the time I only use the tripod with my big lens or lower light shots anyway.

Nobby

I am very happy with the Tamron lens as it lets me use one lens well over 90% of the time. I have been very happy with the results. Here is the link to my Alaska pictures.

http://markandkarenalaska2011.shutterfly.com/

Nice job using that lens... You got some good pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Nobby

Archived