Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

How about hair dryers? Anyone else flying from Chicago Apr. 2?

Hair dryers were available in all the hotel rooms and on the ship.

If you insist on bringing your own, then it must operate on 220v current or else it will fry. If it doesn't operate on 220v then you will have to bring a heavy duty converter that is capable of working with a high wattage device. Same goes for curling irons. The regular converters will burn out if you try to use a high wattage device with them.

There is an April 4 roll call looking for participants. They would love to have you join the conversation.

Edited by Peregrina651

Thanks, me neither usually, but noticed Viking site stated, "hair dryers are available at hotels and at reception on board. Wasn't sure if that meant a limited number, etc.

In hotels there is one in each room.

When we were on the ship, we did have to go to reception to borrow one, but there was always one there when we needed it.

Thanks, me neither usually, but noticed Viking site stated, "hair dryers are available at hotels and at reception on board. Wasn't sure if that meant a limited number, etc.

We had a hairdryer in our cabin the whole time. Again, no need to travel with one!

The first boat-load of travelers are starting to wend their way to Beijing for the first tour of the 2013 season which starts this Tuesday. Just want to wish you all a

BON VOYAGE!!

We all look forward to hearing from you when you get home.

The first boat-load of travelers are starting to wend their way to Beijing for the first tour of the 2013 season which starts this Tuesday. Just want to wish you all a

BON VOYAGE!!

Thank you Peregrina, you and everyone else on this thread have been so patient and helpful with advice. We leave tomorrow !! Looking forward to adding to this thread "from experience" when we're back.

BON VOYAGE!!

Thanks for the well wishes Peregrina and thanks so much for all the help I have received on this board. I feel (almost) completely prepared for this trip. I hope to share with you soon! We leave tomorrow and I guess I will finally have to stay off the computer and actually complete the packing. ;) Best wishes to everyone who is preparing to leave soon! I think we are all on the way to something spectacular!! :D

Don't confuse the food you eat on the tour with the normal Chinese cuisine. On the tour you will eat "Westernised" versions of Chinese dishes which are very toned down for the Viking guests. If your experience is the same you will find the Tour Guide does not eat this food, but eats different dishes separately with the local guide and (sometimes) restaurant staff. In my numerous travels back to China I have had the opportunity to try a whole range of authentic dishes. I have spent a significant amount of time in Chongqing and have never before eaten food so spicy (numb lips!) and full of flavour as you will find there

Sean :)

We were told by our Beijing guide (two years ago) that she wasn't allowed to eat with us when we offered to buy her lunch and have her eat with us. apparently the guides can get in serious trouble for mingling with the western tourists during meal times in a social setting. However, she was super attentive and constantly leaving her meal (downstairs from us) to check and make sure we were getting what she had ordered for us.

One of you mentioned seeing the city walls as a possible alternative. Is this a real possibility for an evening outing? I'm sure we would be able to get guide if we chose this as an option.

The city of Xian with its wall is beautiful at night lit up with a myriad of lights. We were fortunate enough to build a friendship via the internet to have a tour from a local's perspective of the city. Xian has many noteworthy places to visit in addition to the Warriors, but how many are accessible in the evening is another question.

The Hilton Hotel where we stayed is within steps of the wall, but keep in mind the wall circles the city for about 10 miles if you thinking about a trek around it. To get a sense of where things are Google Earth your hotel to see its location with relation to other attractions...there are a lot of photos to view also. Across the street from the Hilton is a Muslim community that comes alive at night with the sights, smells, and sounds of real China...even our guide said he eats garlic before trying this street food to kill the bacteria that may be present.

Little Goose Pagoda in Xian:

IMG_1024-M.jpg

Xian at Night:

2010-09-21%20at%2009-55-28-X3-M.jpg

DSC_0661-X3-M.jpg

Dave%20Morrow-2-X3-M.jpg

And if you wander the Hutongs, you never know what might await you:

2010-09-23%20at%2004-13-36-X3-M.jpg

Kohola - Thanks for your post on Xian. You've given me some ideas. We will also be staying at the Hilton, so it looks like we will have a number of options available to us. I don't think we want a undertake a10 mile walk, however a short walk through the neighborhood might be very interesting. Is it safe to wander around the immediate area of the hotel? Would you recommend a guide, since we don't speak Chinese?

TT

We enjoyed the wall info from the Hilton at night in Xian, thanks! As we prepare for our early April trip, we are looking at possibly trying, our first night before the tour in Behjing, to get to the Hutang area from the Ritz Carlton on Finance St. so we could dine at the Black Sesame Kitchen. Any comments, advice or info?

Edited by sissabagrama
typo

We enjoyed the wall info from the Hilton at night in Xian, thanks! As we prepare for our early April trip, we are looking at possibly trying, our first night before the tour in Behjing, to get to the Hutang area from the Ritz Carlton on Finance St. so we could dine at the Black Sesame Kitchen. Any comments, advice or info?

I assume you know that Black Sesame Kitchen is not a restaurant, you can't just show up there for dinner. It's a cooking school, but you can make arrangements in advance to have dinner there on certain nights. (You may be out of luck if you haven't arranged it for April yet; I hope not.) Our evening there was extraordinary, and if you can arrange it, I highly recommend it. If you can't, I would suggest having dinner at one of the city's well-known Peking Duck restaurants. Make sure you have a card for your taxis with wherever you are going written in Chinese; the concierge at the hotel can help you with this.

Have a great trip!!

You assume correctly. Since April 4th is a Wednesday, dinner is served to 24 at two tables of 12. We've contacted the restaurant to check availability. I did just print off English and Chinese directions and address. Thank you for your timely reply.

You assume correctly. Since April 4th is a Wednesday, dinner is served to 24 at two tables of 12. We've contacted the restaurant to check availability. I did just print off English and Chinese directions and address. Thank you for your timely reply.

That's great! Be sure to get there early so you can get a seat in the kitchen and not in the outer room. Watching the food being cooked is a huge part of the experience!

That's great! Be sure to get there early so you can get a seat in the kitchen and not in the outer room. Watching the food being cooked is a huge part of the experience!

Actually, Apr 4 is a Thursday, but the restaurant confirmed our reservations for 'Tuesday, April 4th', so we are busy tyring to clear up just what IS happening . . . But fingers crossed it works out!

I have a big problem with motion sickness. Should I be concerned while on the Emerald?

I also get motion sick, so will be bringing Non-Drowsy Dramamine for the river cruise, but also for the pin-turn bus trip/s! Even the planes, probably.

Susan, we arrived May 9. I wore Teva cork-soled sandals (with ankle-straps) most of the time and had a pair of Keds for rainy days. I like an ankle-strap because I feel more secure when walking. I went for comfort more than anything.

I am a fan of Keens (Whisper or Newport) both have support, protect the toes, and don't get too "slippy-slidey" in the rain.

Peregrina,

As we get ready for our Roof of the World tour in July we have so enjoyed reading your posts, journal, and checking out your pics! You are a wealth of information! thanks for being so generous with yourknowledge and experience!

Molymoo

Hmm...I see they've not only added a Wed night wine 'n dine since we were there (it was only on Fridays in 2011), but now the web site also says: "Main kitchen table availability is based on the order of your reservation." So perhaps how early you actually show up no longer matters....

Another good reason to book as early as you can!! :)