Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

I've posted some of my photos from our recent (October) Imperial Jewels trip from Shanghai to Beijing here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/china_oct_2011

Feel free to take a peek. There's no sign-in required (i.e., no emails coming your way!!) and once you pull up the gallery, you can either run a slideshow, just look at the little thumbnails, or double click on any photo that you'd like to see full-sized. I recommend the slide show!

I have to admit that before I went on this trip, I was a little afraid I wouldn't get great photos due to smog/fog spoiling pictures, and possibly limited time in each place to take good pictures. However, I'm very happy with my photos. China is such a colorful place, and while we didn't have a lot of the free time I love so much on normal river cruises, we DID have time to take great photos on the trip and still not hold anyone up!

YES! I could not view the photos from my office (they block all kinds of sites) but I finally had a chance to look at each and everyone of them this morning. Wonderful pictures. I really appreciate that you took the time to add a caption to each photo. And it is fun to see the Emerald in a shot that is NOT the stock photo on the Viking site.

I have almost exactly one year to wait now. I think it will be worth the wait!:D

Roothy,

Gorgeous pics! We'd been planning on going 9/12 but my husband decided he couldn't take the long flights to and from. So I'm taking the trip by reading everyone's posts and looking at pics. Loved yours, Roothy! Made me really disappointed not to go...

We were a little leery about the long flights. However, we decided to: 1) Fly to the West Coast from East coast a day early to break up the flying and 2) Go with custom air from Viking, get United, and then pay for Economy Plus. The flights were still long, but actually not as bad as I thought they would be, particularly coming back from Beijng, which passed more quickly than I anticipated. Of course, with tailwinds, and perhaps where Beijing is located (not sure), that flight was shorter than the San Francisco to Shanghai flight. In any case, it's a pity you can't go, but thanks for the kudos on the pics!

To the person who has pbase blocked at work: That's a pity, too - but you can just pretend you're in China, where lots of sites are blocked, too!!

I concur on what's been said on the luggage, at least for no Hong Kong trips; however, you probably don't want to go too crazy on the carry-on luggage. Viking handles the checked bags, but you'll have to lug around you carry-ons, including when you board/leave the ship. In China, because of the Yangtze with its previously varying water levels, there's usually a pretty long and/or steppy way to go from ship to shore! Also, the overhead compartments on one plane we took (Sichuan Airways, I think) were a little smaller that what we're used to here in the U.S. - at least if you're used to traveling on fairly big planes! The Sichuan plane was a little more cramped, too, than the Eastern Air China flights - but all planes were modern and well-maintained (at least from what you could see) and the flights weren't that long, so it was OK.

YES! I could not view the photos from my office (they block all kinds of sites) but I finally had a chance to look at each and everyone of them this morning. Wonderful pictures. I really appreciate that you took the time to add a caption to each photo. And it is fun to see the Emerald in a shot that is NOT the stock photo on the Viking site.

I have almost exactly one year to wait now. I think it will be worth the wait!:D

From the outside, the Emerald does not look flashy. However, the interior is very, very nice!

There also is no clothing hanging from the windows or in the back, as on some other ships plying the Yangtze! One day we woke up to find a ship berthed next to us, and when I pulled open the curtains, I was greeted by the sight of laundry hanging in the window. There was so much you could barely see into the cabin. I have to admit I peeked for a few seconds before closing the curtains.....At one place we docked, to visit the 3 Gorges Dam, I think, there was an older, much less maintained ship near by and we walked past it. It had SO much stuff hanging in the back of it - but I don't think the passengers on that ship were stressing as much about baggage limitations as we were! They were doing practically whole loads there - undies, shirts, etc. We only used Viking's laundry to wash 2 golf shirts, but were happy to have it, and I imagine that if we had traveled during the hot, sweaty summer, we would have used it more than that!

Edited by roothy123

Just got a glossy brochure from Uniworld and pricing seems lower than Viking with cruising days shorter for the same length tours. Wine/beer bottled water included in Uniworld, but I think it's only wine at dinner w/ Viking.

I like the very reasonable air add-on option w/ Viking- nothing mentioned about this in the UW brochure, altho we may be able to use ff miles which would make this moot.

For those of you who researched both lines and chose Viking, what influenced your decision?

For anyone whose gone to China with both companies, what are your opinions of each?

Thanks!

Just got a glossy brochure from Uniworld and pricing seems lower than Viking with cruising days shorter for the same length tours. Wine/beer bottled water included in Uniworld, but I think it's only wine at dinner w/ Viking.

I like the very reasonable air add-on option w/ Viking- nothing mentioned about this in the UW brochure, altho we may be able to use ff miles which would make this moot.

For those of you who researched both lines and chose Viking, what influenced your decision?

For anyone whose gone to China with both companies, what are your opinions of each?

Thanks!

I suspect you'll have a hard time finding someone who has visited China with both Uniworld AND Viking.

I did a good bit of research on both before choosing Viking. Here are the main things that went into my thinking:

First, I read extensively here on CC, and it was pretty easy to see that year after year, Viking has had lots of very happy China travelers. I was hard pressed to find many folks who had done China with Uniworld.

Second, I telephoned both companies to speak to their reps and ask questions, on more than one occasion. I found the Viking reps to be helpful and knowledgeable. Total opposite experience when I spoke to people at Uniworld. My reaction each time I talked to Uniworld was -- is this really the company I want to travel with half way around the world? The answer for me was no. I see that many folks on non-China river cruises love them, but I just did not get a good feeling about them as a company from talking to them.

Now that we've visited China with Viking, I know that we made the right decision. The trip was extraordinary.

As for water and wine (that sounds biblical!), there was always plenty of (free) water with Viking, everywhere. On the bus, in the hotels, in the restaurants, and on board the Emerald. We were never wanting for water. Please don't make a decision based on water or wine!

Well, interesting timing given the question above -- someone has just posted this review of a land tour in China with Uniworld (no time on the Yangtze), over in the River Cruises forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1512880

Certainly wouldn't change my mind about Viking.

(I do wish we could have had a bit more time in Xi'an so that we could have seen the Old City Walls.)

Wine/beer bottled water included in Uniworld, but I think it's only wine at dinner w/ Viking.

We just booked this tour with Viking for next year and note their brochure explictly states wine at _lunch_ and dinner included (for 2012.) I suspect however that is limited to when those meals are on the ship.

We spoke with the Viking rep at a cruise show and she reported that they have only champagne at breakfast. (I still wonder if she may have been kidding.)

I really appreaciate all the sharing and photos in this thread. Thanks to all those who make it so enjoyable to read.

Karl

Edited by kbert92069

Thanks for the link, Turtles06. I will say that Uniworld has inundated me with phone calls since I requested a brochure:mad:, but, hopefully will desist for awhile, since we're planning for 2013.

If you stop talking to them, they will stop calling. Just hang up. They will get the message--eventually.

We are going on the 6/1/12 Imperial Jewels trip from Shanghai to BJ. I have a question regarding carry on luggage on inter-china flights. We have 2 choice. Each of us use a backpack with small wheels or we have small suitcases with dimensions of 21"x14"x8" which have 4 wheels and hold more then the backpacks. would these be allowed as carry-on or do we need to use the smaller backpacks? Appreciate any answers I get.

We are going on the 6/1/12 Imperial Jewels trip from Shanghai to BJ. I have a question regarding carry on luggage on inter-china flights. We have 2 choice. Each of us use a backpack with small wheels or we have small suitcases with dimensions of 21"x14"x8" which have 4 wheels and hold more then the backpacks. would these be allowed as carry-on or do we need to use the smaller backpacks? Appreciate any answers I get.

The flights we were on (modern Airbus planes) had onboard storage space equivalent to what you would have on regular jet flights in the USA. So what you would be able to take as a carryon in the USA should work on the China internal flights.

So I guess the 11 pound limit is not exactly followed. We need the larger size to bring home souvenirs from our trip.

It was not followed when we were in China in May (we did not go on to Hong Kong), but our guide explained to us that if the security folks were in a bad mood, they could enforce that weight limit as well as the one-carry-on per person rule. On our three intra-China flights, those rules were not enforced.

It was not followed when we were in China in May (we did not go on to Hong Kong), but our guide explained to us that if the security folks were in a bad mood, they could enforce that weight limit as well as the one-carry-on per person rule. On our three intra-China flights, those rules were not enforced.

I wasn't concerned with having more then one carry-on. I didn't know that some people actually had more then one. Did you see a lot of people having more then one carry-on?

I just wanted to be able to use a small suitcase as my carry-on instead of a backpack because it will hold more.

Thank you for this information about the luggage....I cannot go for a weekend with just one bag!!!! Any other advice concerning this trip: what TO do and what NOT to do???? Would appreciate any help.

SOME HINTS!

My wife and I keep a "packing list" and add to or modify after each trip. We usually modify on flight home, while memories are fresh!

Not all hints are CHINA specific, but feel free to add your own thoughts!

(Pack some small items that come in handy)

Portable luggage scale (about $10)

Traveling alarm clock - or use iPhone!

European Power Adapters if staying overnight pre/post cruise.

Pack a couple of cheap extension cords and 3-in-1 adapters(never enough AC outlets to charge everything) (to be left behind)

Super Glue, Duct Tape & 2 part epoxy .... be prepared! I had to repair a CPAP mask while in Egypt!

Ace Bandages, Pepto Bismo, Cipro and medicine, extra reading glasses Magic Markers, pens blank address labels (to stick on wrapped purchases). I used to forget what was wrapped in tissue paper and open and reopen etc!

A legal pad for notes, keep track of purchases, so you don't forget anyone.

We take 5 packs of rain ponchos from dollar store (2 for a $1). I gave them free to friends in Rome.... I could of paid for my cruise if I had a case of them (LOL)!

SD cards, batteries ( I even carry a second cheap digital camera and at least 1 SD per day per camera.) If camera is stolen or lost, you only loose that 1 days pictures... not the entire cruise! I number SD Cards 1-25 and have a sheet of paper with same numbers and a line so I can fill in where each SD card was used.

We pack a folding suitcase in each suitcase to put dirty clothes in and leave room for souvenirs.

Detergent in Zip Lock bags to do washables in room.

Pack several size Zip lock bags

I take a separate file folder with info about excursions, etc for each port. Later I empty pockets into them every day with receipts, tickets, postcards etc. from each port.

I also vacuum pack clothes (SpaceBags) and when we are ready to repack pack small shot glasses etc inside cloths and borrow maids vacuum and reduce to smaller size, and keeps in odors.

Take a list of addresses and contacts to send post cards and to call in case of emergency. Have neighbors and friends numbers in case they need to turn off alarm or other emergency. Pre-address postcards to save time and write on plane or during down time.

Take business cards or print personal cards with your contact info... easier than trying to find a piece of paper and pen to write your email and contact info for all your new friends!

I notify all Credit card companies with list of countries we are visiting!

Make sure you and spouse are taking credit cards with different numbers... if one is stolen and canceled (make photocopies) the others are still usable! Also Photocopy Passports to make replacement easier!

Take a unlocked quad band phone and buy a world sim card for it. Incoming calls are free in Most ports! We always use it on deck after re-boarding ship to call US... normally morning in US!

Outgoing calls are $0.35 per minute to US. (Give that number to friends and credit card companies in case of emergency.)

When returning, we dispose of ponchos, and other weight not valuable enough to return to US!

My wife took older clothes and left on-board to make room for new purchases! We had guide write in Chinese notes saying "Please keep these or give to someone who might want them". She gave the steward the bags of clothes with note and additional tip. ONCE I LEFT CLOTHES IN TRASH IN GREECE AND HOTEL CLEANED THEM AND SENT THEM TO MY HOME ADDRESS!

Wow, what a great list! I second the "take different credit cards" thing, even if you're going to China, where you may not use credit cards as much. We got to Shanghai just in time to find out that one of the 2 credit cards we had taken (me; husband took another but not that one) was being used, even though I still had my card and my husband's was at home safe and sound. Talk about trying to call Master Card collect from a hotel in Shanghai - not fun or easy! We finally got through to the operator what we needed and were connected (free, as far as we know so far) but it was a hassle, especially since we were cranky due to jet lag. It's probably overkill, but some cards have an overseas number to call instead of the U.S. or 1-800 numbers, so you might want to ask about that. This is the first time someone has used my card, but it seems to be getting more common, and with internet sales, people can rack up a lot of charges with no trouble at all. The person who used mine had a great time charging dating services and itunes! Ick!

Anyway, other than that, I can't think of anything Romeo missed, except that I like to carry a little wrist thing (for cell phones) when I'm traveling. It makes it easier to carry a card key (or real key) when you're on a ship and going back and forth between dining room and room, etc.

Edited by roothy123

Wow, what a great list! I second the "take different credit cards" thing, even if you're going to China, where you may not use credit cards as much. We got to Shanghai just in time to find out that one of the 2 credit cards we had taken (me; husband took another but not that one) was being used, even though I still had my card and my husband's was at home safe and sound. Talk about trying to call Master Card collect from a hotel in Shanghai - not fun or easy! We finally got through to the operator what we needed and were connected (free, as far as we know so far) but it was a hassle, especially since we were cranky due to jet lag. It's probably overkill, but some cards have an overseas number to call instead of the U.S. or 1-800 numbers, so you might want to ask about that. This is the first time someone has used my card, but it seems to be getting more common, and with internet sales, people can rack up a lot of charges with no trouble at all. The person who used mine had a great time charging dating services and itunes! Ick!

Anyway, other than that, I can't think of anything Romeo missed, except that I like to carry a little wrist thing (for cell phones) when I'm traveling. It makes it easier to carry a card key (or real key) when you're on a ship and going back and forth between dining room and room, etc.

I pay a fee to American Express and they monitor all my cards and will call me to verify before they cancel, but I forgot once my regular cell number was fraud contact and they couldn't reach me for 18 hours. They flagged the card because of "out of pattern spending"!

I had wallet stolen in Barcelona (yeah my fault)!, and every card my wife had with her was the same as mine. When we cancelled mine we were without a card until AE FedExed one to our next port! NOW we always make sure we have different cards with us!

I had wallet stolen in Barcelona (yeah my fault)!, and every card my wife had with her was the same as mine. When we cancelled mine we were without a card until AE FedExed one to our next port! NOW we always make sure we have different cards with us!

Sorry about that horrible experience in Barcelona!

The bold sentence is excellent advice. We always do this as well. My partner takes one of our cards, and I take another.

Separately, I keep the international phone numbers for calling our card issuers (same re our banks for our ATM cards). I've also learned it's a good idea to get a local phone number (in the foreign countries you'll be in) for whatever airline(s) you are flying.

And I know most folks probably already think to do this, but I make sure to have the contact information for the American embassy/consulate. And I hope never to need to use it.

Barcelona has a really bad reputation, so my husband put an empty wallet in his back pocket when we were there. He was almost disappointed when nobody snatched it! We still laugh about that!

After my experience in Shanghai, I no longer have a problem with banks calling about "out of pattern" charges. Over the summer I was in Wisconsin, and tried to use a credit card for a $40 ferry trip. I live in Maryland and travel a lot. Somehow I was not thinking that charging $40 in Wisconsin was unusual, but the charge was declined, and the company called my husband at home to report the charge. Luckily, I had a second card, as the ferry was due to depart soon and I didn't have time to mess around! I'm not big on having a lot of cards, but I DO believe in carrying 2 because of just this kind of thing!

Oh by the way, Ruthlynn (I'm Ruth Anne!), if you have a Cap One card, take that. They do not charge fees for use of cards overseas.

Edited by roothy123

Separately, I keep the international phone numbers for calling our card issuers (same re our banks for our ATM cards).

I leave a card list (card no., phone number, security code, etc.) with a trusted realative back in the USA. If I have a problem, I place one call or e-mail to the relative who can easily deal with the credit card issuers.

I leave a card list (card no., phone number, security code, etc.) with a trusted realative back in the USA. If I have a problem, I place one call or e-mail to the relative who can easily deal with the credit card issuers.

That's a great idea. I never thought of that.

BUT make sure that you arrange with the credit card company for that person to be able to act for you or else the bank won't be able to talk to them even if is to report a stolen credit cards and arrange for replacements. DH has accounts that I'm not named on and even though I'm the one who signs the checks and makes the deposits, the bank cannot discuss the account with me.

I've posted some of my photos from our recent (October) Imperial Jewels trip from Shanghai to Beijing here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/china_oct_2011

Feel free to take a peek. There's no sign-in required (i.e., no emails coming your way!!) and once you pull up the gallery, you can either run a slideshow, just look at the little thumbnails, or double click on any photo that you'd like to see full-sized. I recommend the slide show!

I have to admit that before I went on this trip, I was a little afraid I wouldn't get great photos due to smog/fog spoiling pictures, and possibly limited time in each place to take good pictures. However, I'm very happy with my photos. China is such a colorful place, and while we didn't have a lot of the free time I love so much on normal river cruises, we DID have time to take great photos on the trip and still not hold anyone up!

Your photos are beautiful. Thanks for sharing! May I ask what camera you shot with?

Thanks so much to all of you who responded about the tips for our China trip! We've been to Europe twice so we have done most of your suggestions......all except carrying different credit cards.....I'll do that next time and I think we'll get cards that don't charge fees. Also, great idea about different SD cards for our camera. I have taken a virtual pharmacy before but had not thought of Ace bandages.

Keep any and all hints coming.......thanks again.

Edited by ruthlynn