Trayless McNoTray

elcuchio24

Have no idea of the official reason but off the top of my head:

Less to buy and wash - save money

People take less when they have to carry it individually - save money

enjoy,

Duane

that's my thought, too.

I actually like the large platters. I try to make sure I don't fill it up with food. I can usually put a bowl on the platter (with cereal, grits, oatmeal) and still have plenty of room for food.

I don't know what their reasoning could possibly be, have heard it is so people don't stock up on as much food but don't quite believe that one as I think if people have to go up more than once, they will end up with more food than if they only went once. It certainly is a very PITA situation! I like to get all my food at once - drink, salad, entree, dessert, instead of leaving the table and standing in line once again in the middle of my meal - don't think I can carry a drink and 3 plates or the poor dining staff would have alot more clean ups to do. I read an idea on another board - order room service and keep the tray, then take the tray with you to the buffet. But then again, they will probably have the room service delivery person drop off the food and take the tray back!

I can see it now, people will start getting charged for the tray they kept. Like the towels out by the pool.

I never thought about inverting a platter on top of a filled one. Good idea. I DID see someone do that to take food back to their stateroom that way.

I was also on the Liberty, no trays. I have it easier than most, I used to be a food server, so I walk through the crowds, with a tray in my hand, and another propped on my arm just above it. My drink goes in the other hand.

I never thought about inverting a platter on top of a filled one. Good idea. I DID see someone do that to take food back to their stateroom that way.

I was also on the Liberty, no trays. I have it easier than most, I used to be a food server, so I walk through the crowds, with a tray in my hand, and another propped on my arm just above it. My drink goes in the other hand.

You know what is really great about topping the plate with another one? It keeps the hot food hot until you can make your way to a table!!

Not so sure I'd balance a drink on it, only because two left feet seem to run in the family.. :p

Makes sense. What about dessert plates?

The dessert stations have their own plates, sized for the desserts themselves. I always use the mega tray and then wait for a few minutes and decide whether to go back for dessert. I never get it all in one trip.

Chocolate doesn't tempt me but I cannot leave a Napoleon behind when it is calling my name.;)

No trays on the NCL Pearl in June, and we survived. Does it maybe make things easier for some folks to have a tray? Sure. But if the end result if less food wastage, I'm all for it. It sickens me to see the food people leave behind on their plates at a buffet, whether on a cruise ship or on land.

Maybe you're just putting too much food on your plate if all of your food is mixing together. Our stomachs are the size of a closed fist, about 8 ounces. There is more than enough room to plate out a meal and leave room in between. In case you haven't heard of it, it's called portion control.

You may or may not be right about stomach size, I have no idea. Either way, it's a free ship, people are on vacation, and everyone has the right to each what they want. I am a big, tall man, in my 20's. A fist worth of food is not going to do much for me. I eat a ton, especially on the ships. However much some one eats should not be dictated by the cruise line by only supplying a plate, IMO. Anyway, if someone is still hungry they will still overeat, just have to make extra trips.

My reference to size was based on my visual inspection of the stomach both during surgeries (I'm a nurse) and during disection of many cadavers when in nursing school. And these are normal sized people.

However, to lend a more official perspective to the argument this is what wikipedia has to say about the size:

In adult humans, the stomach has a relaxed, near empty volume of about 45 ml. Because it is a distensible organ, it normally expands to hold about one litre of food,[4] but can hold as much as two to three litres. The stomach of a newborn human baby will only be able to retain about 30 ml.

Getting information regarding how much we should be eating from a weight management program is like asking a fox if the latch on the hen house is strong enough.

But back to the topic at hand. I have never been on a ship that didn't have trays. I do suspect that this is another effort to trim expense, but I also think it might backfire.

I don't want to have to go back and stand in line multiple times because I can't get everything on a single large plate. This will make the lines even worse. I hate line cutters. It's almost impossible for me to carry a cup of coffee or glass of water without spilling it because of my tremors.

You know, I think this might be the first time cadaver stomachs have been mentioned on a thread. Thanks for the info, and thanks for not posting pics:)

The plates they are using now are PLATTERS. I found it quite easy to find room to put my cup on the plate and had plenty of room for food.... I would say they are at least 15 inches across... enough to hold an entire roast chicken and a dressing of potatoes all around!

Destiny91911007.jpg

I notice you don't have any drinks or dessert though....guess that was an extra trip, right?:rolleyes:

I notice you don't have any drinks or dessert though....guess that was an extra trip, right?:rolleyes:

Thats funny... but true! Just got back from Destiny... no trays... personally I found it to be a pain in the butt.... got my breakfast... I also like the little cinnamon rolls.... so my syrup that I put on my pancakes got on my cinnamon rolls.... and then the hot coffee that I always get with a glass of water.... well, needless to say.. two trips... leaving my food on the table and letting it get cold while I found a coffee machine that was working.... even the ice machine was broken on one side so I had to go to the other side to get it...

Needing a tray does not make one a pig... It is just too hard to carry red hot coffee and a tray... I can see someone coming off the ship with some nice burns....

Seriously... what did they do with the trays??

Thats funny... but true! Just got back from Destiny... no trays... personally I found it to be a pain in the butt.... got my breakfast... I also like the little cinnamon rolls.... so my syrup that I put on my pancakes got on my cinnamon rolls.... and then the hot coffee that I always get with a glass of water.... well, needless to say.. two trips... leaving my food on the table and letting it get cold while I found a coffee machine that was working.... even the ice machine was broken on one side so I had to go to the other side to get it...

Needing a tray does not make one a pig... It is just too hard to carry red hot coffee and a tray... I can see someone coming off the ship with some nice burns....

Seriously... what did they do with the trays??

Ha! That's so funny, the EXACT same thing happened to me a couple times with the syrup and the cinnamon rolls (which I love)!

I really just wondered if anyone had given a solid reason to why they are doing this. I really don't believe it's to try to get people to stop eating as much, and I can't see that the plates are any more sanitary than trays. Can't imagine they were breaking the bank buying cafeteria trays. Maybe they did it so George Lopez could use it in his act about ccl being too cheap for trays or something. I'm sure he could come up with a good one.

But obviously some people do like dessert, as well as non-alcoholic drinks.

very true..but obviously there was room on the plate for a glass of lemonade, and personally I like my hot food to be as hot as possible..so it wouldn't make any sense at all to me to go to the dessert station as soon as I get my meal. Turns it into a feeding frenzy instead of a dining experience, IMHO. I mean, they don't bring your dessert to you with your meal in a restaurant, do they?

Yet they still deliver room service on trays. We had room service one night, the next morning DW didn't want to get out of bed, so I grabbed the room service tray, went up to the lido and brought back breakfast to the room. I felt like an outlaw going thru the buffet with my ill-gotten tray!:)

I can't wait to try that. :cool::cool:

very true..but obviously there was room on the plate for a glass of lemonade, and personally I like my hot food to be as hot as possible..so it wouldn't make any sense at all to me to go to the dessert station as soon as I get my meal. Turns it into a feeding frenzy instead of a dining experience, IMHO. I mean, they don't bring your dessert to you with your meal in a restaurant, do they?

I witnessed several people spilling drinks in just such a fashion, carrying them on the plates. Listen, no need to defend the plates. I am just wondering why trays are no longer available for those who WANT to use them.

None of the buffet restaurants on land that I have been to in the last couple of years have had trays.

Having worked for a company that managed a hotel buffet, the biggest complaint we got was that the food was not hot by the time they got to their seats. We discovered that this was because everyone would spend 10 minutes walking around filling multiple plates before finding a seat. Then, after eating salad first, the hot food they got 20 minutes before was cold. Wonder why. We got rid of trays. No more complaints about cold food. Simple as that.

Interesting thread. I do like the MDR, but the buffet can be very interesting.

Archived