Trayless McNoTray

elcuchio24

Have no idea of the official reason but off the top of my head:

Less to buy and wash - save money

People take less when they have to carry it individually - save money

enjoy,

Duane

also sanitary reasons too

I don't know what their reasoning could possibly be, have heard it is so people don't stock up on as much food but don't quite believe that one as I think if people have to go up more than once, they will end up with more food than if they only went once. It certainly is a very PITA situation! I like to get all my food at once - drink, salad, entree, dessert, instead of leaving the table and standing in line once again in the middle of my meal - don't think I can carry a drink and 3 plates or the poor dining staff would have alot more clean ups to do. I read an idea on another board - order room service and keep the tray, then take the tray with you to the buffet. But then again, they will probably have the room service delivery person drop off the food and take the tray back!

I don't know what their reasoning could possibly be, have heard it is so people don't stock up on as much food but don't quite believe that one as I think if people have to go up more than once, they will end up with more food than if they only went once. It certainly is a very PITA situation! I like to get all my food at once - drink, salad, entree, dessert, instead of leaving the table and standing in line once again in the middle of my meal - don't think I can carry a drink and 3 plates or the poor dining staff would have alot more clean ups to do. I read an idea on another board - order room service and keep the tray, then take the tray with you to the buffet. But then again, they will probably have the room service delivery person drop off the food and take the tray back!

Three plates of food, really?

No trays on the Magic. Plates are huge! Plenty of room for salad and hot meal. Or you could use a bowl for the salad. Find a table and get hubby to go for beverages :D.

It was nice to get up and check out the desserts.

Didn't know they were getting rid of them. They were on the Spirit.

Sounds like it's pretty much from ship to ship. Not sure if they are testing it out of taking time implementing it across the fleet. We just went on Imagination (which had trays) got off, next day got on Liberty (no trays). Cousin just got off Magic, no trays. Weird.

The plates they are using now are PLATTERS. I found it quite easy to find room to put my cup on the plate and had plenty of room for food.... I would say they are at least 15 inches across... enough to hold an entire roast chicken and a dressing of potatoes all around!

Destiny91911007.jpg

I know that some lines having dining staff carry the guests' selections from the buffet to their table for them. I have been on 6 previous Carnival cruises and have found trays everywhere on the Lido deck. Trays at each food station and at the buffet lines. We always dine in the dining room, so this may not be true at dinner time.

Doc

It started with the huge out breaks of noro virus.

I wanted hundreds of people rifle though a big stack of plates, I don't see any difference between that and trays. I mean, honesly, it was just a mino inconvenience to me because I just piled a bunch of food on a plate, stuck my silverware roll in my pocket, and grabbed a coffee. But I saw alot of folks, especially older folks, struggling and having to go back and forth a bunch of times.

So does someone have a plausible explanation to why ships are not providing trays at the buffet anymore? I'd love to know. It's really kind of a pain.

i've been reading lots of theories.

all i know is when they launched the triumph and the victory, neither had trays. they did have the same regular plates. it was like a juggling act.

the rest of the week, i told the guy in charge that i expected someone to help me with my stuff to the table (lunch).

i also wrote a nasty letter when i returned.

when i returned to one of those ships years later, the trays were there.

now i read that they are using the bigger type plates that rccl uses. they are big enough to hold my entire meal, and had no problem.

Yet they still deliver room service on trays. We had room service one night, the next morning DW didn't want to get out of bed, so I grabbed the room service tray, went up to the lido and brought back breakfast to the room. I felt like an outlaw going thru the buffet with my ill-gotten tray!:)

The plates they are using now are PLATTERS. I found it quite easy to find room to put my cup on the plate and had plenty of room for food.... I would say they are at least 15 inches across... enough to hold an entire roast chicken and a dressing of potatoes all around!

Destiny91911007.jpg

This is what other lines use.......the platter plates......although they have food stations not a line........I would think trays would work better for the lines.........

Maybe you don't mind eating every thing mixed together like in an trough, but not me :p Oh yeah, I also eat with a knife, fork and spoon not my hands in case you've never heard of that either.

Maybe you're just putting too much food on your plate if all of your food is mixing together. Our stomachs are the size of a closed fist, about 8 ounces. There is more than enough room to plate out a meal and leave room in between. In case you haven't heard of it, it's called portion control.

We were just off the Liberty last week, and they no longer had the trays, but they did have the over sized platters. These are WAY more convenient, and large enough for those who want to pile it on. We did not have a single issue the entire cruise using these platters, and I found that I do like them better than trays.

The Pride had trays everywhere on the Lido.

I recall trays on Pride also but it has been over a year so maybe to cut back on costs they are taking away trays (gotta find the funds for that new BlueIguana Rum bar from somewhere, right?).

If they are doing away with trays- while I can understand the reasons that everyone mentioned (less washing, more sanitary, etc)- it just becomes such a big PITA to us parents whom are trying to get our food and drink plus carry the plate and drink for my little ones...

All the more reason that I plan on eating every available meal in the MDR- just bring my food to me please so I don't have to practice my juggling act while on a ship that is swaying to and fro...;)

Archived