Trayless McNoTray

elcuchio24

Maybe you don't mind eating every thing mixed together like in an trough, but not me.

My grandpa used to pile all of his food in the middle of the plate. He said it didn't matter what it looked like on the plate. It's dark where it goes.:D

Trays are not forbidden - bring your own. Available in many snazzy colors. Non-existent problem solved.

31n9WcxTcYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Note to self: Don't forget add tray to packing list.:rolleyes:

I'd say Carnival is running a little experiment. If what I've read up to this point is correct, most of the fleet still uses trays. Depending on which way the feedback goes, we will either see the platters go fleet wide or they go back to using trays everywhere. Either way, write, call, email or stalk the folks at Carnival to let them know what you think of big ol' toilet seat size platters.

I asked John Heald about the the trays and here is the response he gave:

All the ships will eventually replace the cheap caffeteria type trays with large oval plates that act like trays themselves. We had them on the Carnival Magic while I was there and we didnt recieve any negative comments. You can put multiple items on there although I guess you have to use two hands if you want main course and a desert. As I said though, they look great and do the job well. Maybe you could add this to the link thingy over there. Cheers Brian and my best to you and the family

So basically, trays are going away.

So does someone have a plausible explaination to why ships are not providing trays at the buffet anymore? I'd love to know. It's really kind of a pain.

I was on The Victory last month and there were trays in the buffet on both sides.

As a person who drinks a ton with meals, I need the tray just to carry my drinks. I hate getting up for more coffee or waiting for someone to come by for a topoff. So I just get 4 coffees and that takes care of me for awhile. I probably go through 6 to 8 ice teas or lemonades with meals. Those cups are pretty small. When out dining, and we catch a cool server, I tell them there tip depends on how often I see the bottom of my glass. If I could get a pitcher for my drinks at meals I'd be happy. Guess I can order coffee from room service before breakfast and bring the carafe down to breakfast.

Sure less to wash, but in the long run if you have someone elderly, disabled or young children is really harder to wash a tray than to wash the carpet where that person/child just spilled their entire plate? Be sensible. Possibly offer the trays to families with small children or the elderly or disabled.

This :o

My DH has CP (and no binocular vision) and without a tray that will mean I'll have to get his food first (carrying one "large" plate and his drink - or have him carry his plate while I carry both our drinks) and then go back to get my food while with a tray there is usually enough room for two plates and two drinks. While I'm back in line his food will either get cold or he'll be done eating when I am back at the table.

Depending how rocky or crowded it is, I might let him carry his food but there is no way he should carry a drink on a moving vessle (I don't even like him to do that at home) and he should rather not carry two plates either. It's likely he will have a good day and nothing is going to happen but I am not plucking fries out of other people's coffee (or hair) just because he tripped.

Also, no way I am packing a tray. Two flights, one overseas. Nope.

I guess, in this case I'll just have to ask for a tray... somewhere. Borrow one from roomservice or ask a waiter or the service desk. Or I could always have lunch by myself and tell him he needs to lose weight anyways or can always make up for the lost calories in beer.

I don't think I've seen trays in the buffet on a cruise ship in a long time.

I've never seen trays in a buffet at a land based restaurant, and people (young, old, etc.) all seem to manage just fine so I really don't see what all the complaining over trays is about.

When we eat at the buffet, on a ship or land, I always get my salad and drink first. Then I go back for my entree/sides, then if I have room I'll go back to get dessert. Not that big of a deal. I wouldn't want to get all my food at once, leaving my hot foods to get cold while I eat my salad, and then maybe I'm too full for the dessert I put on the tray as well. Or maybe, because I had a tray and room for more than one plate, I got a little more food than what I can really eat and then it goes to waste. I agree with people who say they hate to see all the wasted food. Take smaller amounts and then go back up if you want something more. Nothing wrong with going back up a second time, or third or however many times you like.

I've never seen trays in a buffet at a land based restaurant, and people (young, old, etc.) all seem to manage just fine so I really don't see what all the complaining over trays is about.

I have never been to a buffet in the US, I have to admit.

Here they'd probably slap your wrist if you tried to take food from a buffet without one ;) There are trays at the cafeteria, at Ikea, pretty much everywhere where you have to carry more than a plate of salad. And I love it, as it often makes things so much easier, especially for families with children (who don't need to run back and forth) and for people with disabilities (as others can more easily carry their food for them and I know that some of our friends rather have a tray on their knees while in their wheelchair instead of a - smaller and maybe dirty from underneath or dripping sauce - plate).

Ikea even offers small "tray carts" that give you a possibility to put multiple (2 or 3?) trays onto and then push them. Extremely convenient for larger families, elderly people or people with disabilities.

Hey Crazy

I'm okay with the platters but that guy at the table scares me a little. J/K:eek:

it's the shirt, isn't it?:p 90% of his wardrobe, and most of them have parrots on them! ( Koko's our macaw..hence the handle!)

Carnival doesn't need to test this. It's been tested on HAL for a couple of years now. We had no problem on our last HAL cruise with no tray.

This thread is tame to how the HAL people reacted to this news. Carnival is probably rolling this out bit by bit.

Even with a tray we do three trips - salad, entree, dessert. One will get drinks for the rest at the table. The up and down gives us some exercise.:p

as a disabled person, it's hard enough to balance a plate & drink on my walker- now a "large" plate & drink- hopefully, they'll have enough attendants to help.

I may be doing all my breakfasts in the MDR- it's lunch in port I may have problems.

I make several trips during a meal--tray or no tray. The trays actually remind me of high school so I am happy to see them go.

I actually walk along to line to see what's available. Then I go to the end of the line and get my food. I take the food to a table and then go for drinks--usually a juice and coffee. After that I will go check out the dessert tray and see what's available, take it to the table and maybe go back for more coffee.

I found the lack of trays on our 9/24 sailing of the Dream to be a minor annoyance. Although the platters allow you to heap food on if you so desire, a tray makes getting food for a family of three - my job while DW and 3 yr old DS wait at the table - much more practical.

Instead, I made several trips back and forth and we never actually ate together.

We did have the luxury of a room service tray on a couple of occassions. That made it much easier.

You know, I think this might be the first time cadaver stomachs have been mentioned on a thread. Thanks for the info, and thanks for not posting pics:)

Well, you know me.........ever the trail blazer.........:p

Wonder if these are going to start being seized from luggage. Soon CC will have umpteen threads o "smuggling trays aboard--what's your best tip?"

I actually have a cute little tray that I use at work. We have a small kitchen on my floor and I eat at my desk. It's so much more convenient.

Archived