Passport book vs passport card

IttaBit

We're doing a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean in July and taking our 3 girls (12,6, and 1). My oldest has a passport, but I was thinking about just getting a passport card for the little ones. Thoughts?

That is the route we chose because our kids will only be cruising for the time being.

You don't need a passport of any kind...and the passport card won't help if you have to fly home....I'd save the $$ and just bring their BC...that's all they need to cruise on a closed loop Caribbean itin. They don't even need a picture ID unless they're over 16.

I've found those passport cards to be virtually useless. Can you believe that I actually had both a TSA agent and an airline check in person refuse to accept my passport card for identification purposes? No, I'm not kidding !!!! I have used it as an ID for other flights, but if you get stuck with a crappy TSA or airline person, they can be a pain in the behind. Basically, they're really only good for land crossings between the US and Mexico and Canada----although I did use it when I returned from a cruise and the Immigration agent said "Oh, cool. You have one of those.".

Is that documented somewhere? I know that some countries require 6 month until expiration for international travel, but since it's only being used as ID for a 'local' cruise (under normal circumstances) I wouldn't think that would apply.

We chose to suck up the expense and get a regular passport for DS, because of the possibility of flying home. If I wasn't worried about this, we wouldn't have gotten DS a passport at all at this age (under 1). Call me a worrier, but if DS gets sick and has to be medivacced out of somewhere I want to make sure that he has all the documentation necessary.

Is that documented somewhere? I know that some countries require 6 month until expiration for international travel, but since it's only being used as ID for a 'local' cruise (under normal circumstances) I wouldn't think that would apply.

I have no idea if it is documented or not, but I recall Princess saying that passports have to be valid for 6 mos from embarkation date. On a cruise you could probably just bypass this by having birth certificates and back up documentation available and keep the passport for emergency fly home situations.

I know from personal experience that you can reenter the country (United States) on a passport with less than 6 months left (Mine had 4 months remaining after a temporary work assignment).

Many countries will not let you enter with less than 6 months remaining but that varies from country to country. I would assume on the closed loop cruise you could use it until it expired since technically you can travel on a birth certificate (my DD was close a couple of years ago but hers still had approx. 7 months)

As an example a US Citizen can fly to the Bahamas as long as your US passport is valid (i.e. not expired) "Travel by Air: All U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport in order to enter or re-enter the United States when travelling be air. U.S. citizens do not need visas for short trips to The Bahamas for tourist/business purposes. It is important to note that although the Bahamian government only requires proof of citizenship and identity in order to enter The Bahamas, the U.S. government requires that Americans have a valid passport in order to fly home. Most airlines will not permit a U.S. citizen to fly to The Bahamas without a valid U.S. passport and risk getting stranded."

I've found those passport cards to be virtually useless. Can you believe that I actually had both a TSA agent and an airline check in person refuse to accept my passport card for identification purposes? No, I'm not kidding !!!! I have used it as an ID for other flights, but if you get stuck with a crappy TSA or airline person, they can be a pain in the behind. Basically, they're really only good for land crossings between the US and Mexico and Canada----although I did use it when I returned from a cruise and the Immigration agent said "Oh, cool. You have one of those.".

Yep this! ;)

They are useless except for LAND crossings. Get a passport book for the cruise if you are going to PAY ANY MONEY for a passport. But those cards are useless. Unless you want to walk back home across a border. :)

In order to fly, you need a passport book. In order to cruise (on a closed loop cruise leaving and coming from a US port and you are a US citizen), you can use a birth certificate for the young ones if you are really trying to save on expense. But then you won't be able to fly back into the US if you need to.

You're right. On a closed loop cruise, it's good for 5 years. In our situation, we were looking at Europe, and the rules of entering a foreign country by air. Those countries had the 6 month limitation.

If you had problems on a cruise, you would be leaving a foreign country, and entering the US.

as an acceptance agent

i advise spend the money and get the full book to the people i see.

and when it is about to expire you can still use that passport as proof of citizenship, and not have to send in the BC again

it seems everyone has a different opinion....do what's best for you.

my dh & i have passport books. there is no need for us to purchase books for our child as they are valid for less amount of time and i personally find it to be a waste. one would think they would cost less too.

if anything, i would purchase a passcard for the the kids. it at least shows they are u.s. citizens and provided I.D. in the UNLIKELY event you would need to fly home. sure, they say they are not good for airfare, but it would help speed up the process i would think as the background check etc. has already been accomplished.

some people swear and chastise if you don't have a passport. to each their own i say. i see it as giving the govt. more money to waste lol.

:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Is there really that much difference in cost between the card and the book for children? If I remember correctly, DD's passport (the book) only cost $75.

Personally, it is peace of mind for me that if anyone needed medically evacuated or we had to fly back unexpectedly due to an emergency, there would be no passport hassle at least. That, and it is just easier to hand over three opened passports rather than fumbling around with a birth certificate for DD.

Oh, and I thought it was so cute for her to have one that I scrapbooked a pic of her first passport in her babybook.

Is there really that much difference in cost between the card and the book for children? If I remember correctly, DD's passport (the book) only cost $75.

Personally, it is peace of mind for me that if anyone needed medically evacuated or we had to fly back unexpectedly due to an emergency, there would be no passport hassle at least. That, and it is just easier to hand over three opened passports rather than fumbling around with a birth certificate for DD.

Oh, and I thought it was so cute for her to have one that I scrapbooked a pic of her first passport in her babybook.

This ^^

I have done enough travel internationally to be wary of relying upon a passport card...even though they are technically fine for a closed loop cruise in the Caribbean.

As others have noted, if there are unforeseen circumstances, such as injury, illness, missing the boat, storm, etc. then you could have a real problem getting back in a hurry via air without a full passport.

While all of these occurrences are very unlikely, we all know things can and do happen, and I am always suprised how things come up when travelling internationally.

Some officials in different countries may give you a hard time, even though you are technically permitted to use a passport card etc....

For us its just not worth the risk of being stuck on an island with an injured child and not being able to fly somewhere to get better medical attention.

We had both the books and the cards made at the same time for DD, DW, and me. The passport cards are conversation pieces at embarkation and debarkation on Caribbean closed-loop cruises, and incidentally appear to be one of the only convenient forms of photo ID that civilian children can routinely obtain. But we carry the books in our luggage and keep them in the cabin safe to be prepared if an international flight home is necessary.

I'm curious, do most people just take their room key to a port-of-call, or their room key plus passport, when doing the Caribbean loop?

There are lots of opinions on this!

But we take our passports with us when we leave the ship. We keep them in a water wallet type thing (just a little bigger) with our room cards, credit card and cash, and they are always on our person. I leave copies of our passports in the cabin, so if we did lose the originals it would be easier to get replacements.

I actually sewed and interior zipper pocket into DH's swim trunks (right where the exterior pocket is) that is big enough to hold the water wallet. He has other shorts that have built in zipper pockets big enough to hold that stuff. Other people wear the water wallet on a lanyard or wrist strap.

I usually leave mine in the safe, and only take my room key, even though I'm technically in a foreign country.

I guess my point is this: A passport is best, but a passport card is better than nothing, were something to happen at port. I feel that people would be more likely to carry the passport card along with their key, on land, if they owned one. It fits nicely into a wallet, and is therefore both easier to take with you to ports, and harder to lose or get separated.

So I view it as a backup form of ID, which I think is all it was ever really intended to be anyway. It's not meant to replace the passport -- just provide an added convenience. So I would get it in addition to, rather than instead of..

If you own both -- a passport and the passport card -- then in the less-likely event the passport card is lost or stolen at port, at least you have the passport book back in the cabin (rather than a copy of one). Or if something happens on land, and you're unable to make it back to the ship (a la Wah Do Dem), at least you have the passport card on you, rather than nothing.

As to the what to take on island, the cabin key card and ID of some sort. Some islands, Nassau for 1, checks ID prior to letting you back onto the docks.

As for travel without a Passport and needing emergency air, this is NOT ideal, but when traveling with a large group, 1 lady needed a flight home from the St Kitts. The Ship medical staff, the "office" manager on ship and someone on island from US office all worked together. She was sent back to PR without much of a delay, if any, over just the time needed to get the flight arranged with staff to care for her. I would NOT want that to occur to me but I do know first hand that it can be done in a very timely fashion without a passport. The cruise lines know the ropes and are wonderful.

I opt for a passport for everyone. Most cruise lines are wanting them even though they are not legally needed byt he US govt for closed loop cruises. I see the date coming very soon when we will all have to have one to cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

So I view it as a backup form of ID, which I think is all it was ever really intended to be anyway. It's not meant to replace the passport -- just provide an added convenience. So I would get it in addition to, rather than instead of..

I always thought the Passport Card was intended for those individuals who live/reside on/near the US border and travel across frequently. Makes it easy for them to have that ID/passport in their wallet rather than toting the book with them all of the time.

Hmmm...looking at the gov't site, they do call out the ability to use it at sea ports from the Carib. Looks like it runs @ $40 for those under 16. Interesting idea to use as an ID for kids.

Archived